Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Mine just likes to chew, so it has to be tough not to break. The squeaking is like a bonus stimulus when it happens, though squeakers are usually the weak point. She has some heavy toys that she likes to toss around, I put those out of reach at night since we are top floor in an apt and they are loud when she drops em.

Got this recently and it seems decently tough. When she tosses it, it'll bounce in random directions. Squeaker isn't loud and takes some work to make noise.

This makes noise without squeaking. Lots of fun to kick around with the dog. She likes things she can bat around with her feet though and the noise gets her excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

z0331 posted:

How do you get a dog to play tug "correctly"? Ellie won't do the whole, grab it and try to pull it straight back thing. Instead she just shakes her head trying to snap whatever toy's spine and then sort of pulls from side to side. And I don't think the game tires her out nearly as much as it should because of it.

Anything other than just praising her anytime she comes close to doing what I want? Most of the time if she gets lined up correctly she comes toward me when I lightly tug on it instead of pulling back. :downs:

Walk slowly backwards, to pull the dog a bit. Every dog I've played tug with will try to use it's neck to try to snap the toy out of your grip, if you just sit in one spot.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

z0331 posted:

She just follows and walks into me. :saddowns:

I'll try it outside maybe. Inside we only have one area she can tug because it has a large rug. She slips all over the place on the hardwood.

Yeah, if the dog can't get good grip, she probably isn't going to try pulling back.

Ainsley posted:

Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom painting done of their dog(s) from an etsy seller? After scratching my head for ages trying to think of something to get my maid of honor as a thank you, I struck gold with the idea of getting a painting done of our two dogs together, but there's a million custom painters on etsy, ranging from $20 to $hundreds, and it all feels a bit like walking past the guys offering caricatures on the boardwalk with a bunch of advertised "sample" drawings that they clearly just printed off of the internet. I don't mind paying in the $hundreds range (I'd prefer to pay more knowing I'm getting a really good work, rather than paying $20 and getting my picture thrown into photoshop, "sketch"-ied, and printed out onto crappy paper), but I feel like I remember someone talking about getting it done somewhere upthread and would love recommendations.

I would go to some of the local art galleries or even tattoo shops. These places are going to know artists that will take commissions with a variety of artistic style, so you can find the right kind and price, locally.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 28, 2018

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Martingale collar and Gentle Leader are both excellent tools for training.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, crating seems in order. And when you do bring the monster outside, get it nice and tired. Get that 'inside for resting, outside for potty and play' behavior going.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Not sure what you can teach the 1yo beyond not pulling to hard on the puppies tail and ears. The older kid can probably have fun giving commands and rewarding with treats. Might help ease the nervousness by seeing how the puppy will listen to him.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Pool posted:

Yeah I want the same eventually - just leave them out at night and sleep in the bed if they want. Last night (night 3 ) was a little better than before. I think I'll just keep it in the bedroom and see if I can start getting her to take some food in a kong to get her more settled with the crate. I tried the kong once with peanut butter and she was super not interested (what dog doesn't like peanut butter??) but its cool she likes every other food item shes seen.

I had my crate in the living room, so my mutt could be in the room I was in most often. She'd get raw hide and bones in her crate, only in her crate (now only on her blanket). This really helped her learn that it was a good place, not a punishment. She's since proven that she can be trusted to free roam during work and night. Though that even started as a few hours while I was out, then half a work day, before all day free roam. I also setup a camera to watch and get an idea of what she'd do by herself, which was mainly sleep or toys.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The rabbits will die of heart attacks from the constant presence of a predator. That's if the enclosure keeps the dog out.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

You gave that dog a good home, no matter how short it was. You're both lucky for the time you got together and that's what matters.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

First six months of my rescue would submission pee at any rise in my voice or command she didn't quite understand. She wore a doggie diaper inside for a long time because of the near daily issues. But over time she learned that no matter what, I'm on her side. It was tough, but I couldn't give up on her.

I've been volunteering at a shelter for 3 years and have seen all manner of behavior in rescues. Nearly ever return could have been solved by a little more patience or some training commitment. It can be tough, but these are living, codependent beings that need to figure out that they aren't going to be abandoned again. A majority of dogs didn't end up in the shelter because they've had a good life, you just gotta show them that good life the deserve, so they can accept that you do love them.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The shying away from touching will very likely go away with the more time they spend with you. I agree with the sitting on the floor with them and maybe find a toy that you can play with together. Cute little chomper will ease up with the consistent attention and positive reinforcement. In time, you'll have a confident doggo that knows you and you'll feel confident as well.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Their behavior can and probably will change over the next 6 months as they learn their new environment, but cool :)

This rear end in a top hat STILL tries to climb into the front half of the car, which I do not support and don't know how to disabuse her of the habit. For a while I just installed some mesh screen that mounts to the headrests which kept her out of the front, mostly, but it does impact rear visibility and I don't like it. Got a new car last month and haven't wanted to install the screen.

I put my dog in a chest harness with a leash that plugs into the seat belt lock. I've got it adjusted short enough to prevent this. Also to keep her from being a projectile in the event of an accident.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Oh, so I have a weird question.

I've had Gigi for a little over a year now. Once or twice a month, she'll have these random "breathing fits" for ~10 seconds and then she's fine. I don't know how to describe it other than a very nasaly snorting kind of sound.

Yesterday I got home from work, fed her dinner and took her for our daily walk and she kept repeatedly having those fits, at least 5 times in 15 minutes? I ended our walk prematurely and she was fine the rest of the night.

I did record it so I can show it to my vet, but do you guys have any ideas wtf is up with this little hambeast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGrz-yNONk8

I don't think it's allergies, could just be general excitement? No clue.

My dog has done that after pulling hard on the leash. She wears a martingale collar that tightens down to the point where you can only get a finger between the neck and collar, so no choking, but I assumed it was from the sudden pulling when it gets fairly tight. Never had this happen outside of those times, so I'm hoping it isn't some kind of allergy or other issue. Is this only when walking?

My dog has also had hiccups a few times and while cute to me, she certainly gets a look of "wtf is happening to me" when it happens.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was trying to wash blankets yesterday and left 'em on the floor for too long...

I've trained my dog to always eat treats on a blanket. If i don't have one down and give her a treat, she'll walk around in circles looking. Works great when visiting people though. Through down a blanket and she immediately lays on it, looking for treat.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the links. I was sad that I couldn't find a collar with princess crowns in my dog's size this past weekend. I think she'll enjoy a furry pink and green glitter collar instead.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Speaking of parks... the ACD I'm fostering doesn't always play well with other dogs (especially small ones... he thinks they're food!) so dog parks haven't been an option.

A thought occurred to me the other day though. There's a wide open green field half a block from my house. I've been wondering whether I can get one of those yard stakes with a really long metal cord attached, stick it in the center of the field and just play fetch like that. It would give him quite a long distance for running (way longer than my meager backyard) while eliminating the risk of him suddenly deciding to chase a cat or a squirrel or something.

The place looks like this:

The other option is a long, narrow grassy clearance that runs power lines from a nearby power station to the neighborhood:

The advantage of this space is that it doesn't get any foot traffic, so distractions would be minimal.

Thoughts/warnings/don't-do-its welcome. :)

I'd stay away from metal cords since they can cut up the dog if they wrap on the legs or body. You can get a screw in stake and make your own leash though. I went with the nylon rope used for climbing and a couple of carbineers that can rotate. I mostly use the long leash to let her run up big snow banks and swim at public lakes, where I need to maintain some kind of control. I'd also recommend a harness that lets the force get distributed across the entire chest when the limit is hit.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I hate off leash dogs. I live half a mile down a nice bike path from the largest dog park in the city, people still let their dogs run off leash on the other park areas along the path. You always hear the same excuse "oh it's friendly" that absolutely does not take in consideration that leashed dogs get overwhelmed easily when something runs at them. The fact that the dogs ran at you is fact that those dogs are not trained well enough to be off leash and that owner allowed this to happen through negligence. It's not your fault and until the owner properly trains them to stay in the yard, it will happen again (hopefully not with your foster).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GoodBee posted:

Go in person to some shelters too.

I think a fair number of smaller dogs and ones that look like pure breeds get adopted or pulled by rescue organizations before they get their glamour shots posted for adoption.

This is exactly what happens around here. If you have a preference, get pre-approved and stay in contact about new animals. Lots are adopted or pending adoption before they get on the site.