Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sucrose posted:

My 9 year old dog has been sick and not eating since last night. He's going to the vet on Monday if he's still sick then, but is there anything we can do for him in the meanwhile? He looks miserable but I have no idea what, specifically, is wrong with him.

Has he been vomiting or is he just lethargic?

A question of my own, my pup is a little over a year now, has been super friendly with all dogs up until the past month or so, now he gets aggressive with dogs that are larger than him, even ones he previously played with, what can I do to stop/curb this behavior? We haven't had an issue at dog parks, yet, but with warm weather coming in the next month or two, we want to go to the dog beach and I'm afraid there will be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bathing the dog regularly is definitely a big thing, my fiancee is allergic to animals so we give the dog a bath once a week, he's a short haired dog but still sheds a bunch and he hates the brush, loves the jacuzzi tub though!

According to said fiancee and other friends, your body eventually gets used to your animal and will stop triggering reactions, though if it does happen, it can take a year or more from anecdotal evidence I've encountered, so nothing something to bank on. It could also be a ruse so that we'd get a dog sooner rather than later too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

deep web creep posted:

Hey all,
My wife and I recently adopted a lab mix rescue. He is healthy and happy and things are going pretty well so far!
However he is only two months old and I’ve never raised a lab, or had a dog this young. I have some concerns and wanted to get some advice:

First off, my wife works from home and I am able to work from home twice a week or more. We’re able to stay with the puppy pretty much constantly. This is awesome, but might(?) feed into issues with him being a little furry alligator.

Being a Labrador, of course he’s going to be obsessed with getting stuff in his mouth. But because he’s a rescue we don’t know how much time he’s spent with mom or his littermates, and doesn’t have great bite strength control. He’s been biting pretty hard, especially if he’s excited. We’ve been trying to react and “lose interest” (“OUCH!” and walk away). We’ll also try to redirect his interest into a number of toys he likes, but once he starts going for flesh or clothing he seems to lose interest in the toy he was just playing with or anything but the highest value treats.

If we just turn away from him and stop playing he’ll go nuts and grab at clothes, arms, legs, etc. If we step over the puppy gate and out of the room he gets EXTREMELY anxious. He’ll whine and howl, or pee, etc. When we go back to him, he’ll go back to chomping.

A lot of dogs do this, my pitbull mix did it as well, we got him a little older (7 months) but he was mouthy (still is when he gets excited), just keep doing what you're doing and he'll learn. He's young so it will take time for him to learn, as he gets older he'll pick things up quicker especially once you learn how to communicate better with each other.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Freakbox posted:

Hey! My puppo (greyhound/pit) has some pretty bad may allergies and I had been reading that cetrizine is safe for him; can someone recommend a dose for a 45 pounder? I have the 10mg pills ((for my highly sniffly cat and myself)), generic, with no decongestant. :3:

Bonus: after sneezing in his sleep. It's his first actual summer ((pound assumed he was born in May last year)) and he is so itchy. I had no idea pitties had such sensitive skin. :saddowns: sorry little guy!

PS- I saw harness talk a bit back; we use the easy walk harness. It leads from the front of his chest so if the little rear end in a top hat tugs too hard it turns him around. It's really useful considering how small I am and how strong he is. I don't know if it's just his pit or if it's the mixture but his legs are powerful as hell.

That is a super cute dog! Every pit/pitmix I've had has had allergies of some kind, one was actually allergic to grass, the poor dog.

I'd probably start with either half a pill once a day or a whole pill, what kind of Cetrizine do you have? If it's in Zyrtec form it appears Zyrtec-D can actually be toxic to dogs.

*edit* Does your dog take any other meds/supplements? It wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask them about this, I'm sure they'd be willing to give you a heads up about it as well without making you come in for a visit.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 1, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stool Sample posted:

I apologize if this question gets repeated often:
My parents have a 6 month old lab puppy and we want to get a harness for him, but he's obviously got more growing to do. Do we wait until he's full grown to get a harness or is there a brand/type that can extend as he grows? (As for what kind of harness, just something that will help prevent him from pulling and choking himself while trying to slip out of his collar/leash.)
Thanks!

Harnesses are not expensive, they're like 15-25, buy one now and one later, if they can't afford to buy multiple harnesses I don't even know why they got a dog.

*edit* as for what harness to use, a highly recommended harness is the Gentle Leader, it's a muzzle type harness. I personally do not like harnesses like that, I prefer the harnesses that attach at the chest for when we're walking around town, but I also like harnesses that attached between the front shoulders for when I'm running or we're out in the woods or something, so I picked up the Freedom Harness.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 19, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GoodBee posted:

The Freedom Harness looks like it goes over the head and then clips behind the front legs. I've got a Ruffwear Front Range harness and that's how that one goes on. I prefer that style to the step in kind.

I do like the gentle leader too. It just depends what we're doing. The harness is for hiking and camping, the gentle leader is for a relaxing walk with my parents, a leash clipped to the collar is for when she doesn't want to go pee in the rain.

I have no puppy experience. I adopted both my dogs as adults.

Yes, that's exactly what it does, the only issue I have with it is that there's a T that forms on the chest, short-haired dogs (such as mine) can get irritation there from it rubbing, my plan is to add a piece of fabric to it that is softer, the current one is soft, but not quite soft enough imo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GoodBee posted:

That sounds like a easy fix. The one I have is padded, which is nice for when we go camping. Maybe it's too comfortable and that's why my hound dog wants to drag slow walkers around the neighborhood behind her?

My dog pulls more when my fiancee walks him, I walk him much faster though, so I think you're on to something there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah I bought a roomba shortly after getting our dog and it's been a god send, I let that little guy clean half our apartment one day and half the other, we do regular vacuuming once every 2 weeks or so. We also bathe the dog once a week with a good brushing after and generally try to brush him another day of the week as well.

My fiancee is allergic to dogs which is why we're pretty on-top of keeping dander/hair to a minimum.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah, he should be over there like every day imo, I would be if that was my dog.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Lovelyn posted:

There was about a week in between the visits, they live 30 miles from each other (with the school being about the halfway point). Meeting at school would be fine for now, because Friend B works as a tutor and can have the dog with her, but when school starts in September the pooch won't be coming to campus anymore.

So it seems like regular visits would be in the dog's best interests? If so, I'll pass that along

Yeah extended time will be good, the dog will probably still be sad he's leaving, but will likely do much better than sporadic visits where he's feeling like he's abandoned by his best friend.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

Thanks for the advice with the dog shedding.

Someone just moved into the house next to mine. Previously it was owned by an elderly woman that apparently didn't even live there. Someone just came to tend to the house about once a week. My dog was never disturbed.

A young man moved into the house, and he's in the adjacent backyard to ours. We have a fence between us, so I can't see him, but I can hear him (not that I have interest in either). He's in the backyard a lot, obviously working on his new pool. He will probably be in his backyard or in the pool a lot, seeing as its Texas and 100 degrees out everyday.

My dog is having a hard time adjusting to someone living on the other side of the fence, doing their business in their own backyard. My dog will start barking as soon as she hear's my neighbor doing whatever in his backyard. Typically she just barks for about 10-20 seconds. Sometimes though, it becomes more annoying when my neighbor is obviously outside working in their yard, making normal yard noise.
My dog just won't stfu when this happens. She will just keep barking for like 30 seconds- 1min. Then occasionally for a few spurts thereafter.

I try to correct my dog, "NO! no bark! no barking! NO KANGA! no bark!" She will stop barking for about 1-2 mins, but then, if my neighbor is still in his yard doing poo poo, my dog will go right back to barking.

This is a new neighbor who just bought this house, and I'm sure he wants to enjoy his nice new backyard and pool. I don't want my dog pissing him off everytime he goes into his backyard. But I also can't be hosed to literally walk across my house and down the stairs to yell "NO! BARK!" every time he decides to leave his house. This whole issue is occuring like 4-5 times a day now. I had to go pull her in at 9pm last night because my neighbor was doing something in his backyard along our fenceline with a flashlight, making a bunch of noise. loving with his tool-shed or w/e I don't know, and it's not my business. My neighbor isn't doing anything wrong, it's his house and his yard. I feel like he should be able to use it without having to worry about my dog barking her head off at him everytime he uses his yard.

Does anyone have some tips or training advice on how I can start teaching my dog to not be bothered and bark crazy everytime this happens??
Is it possible I'm just being too fkn sensitive about my neighbor's sensibilities? He hasn't actually said anything to me about the dog barking. We're talking about a Aus Cattle Dog here, medium like 40lbs. So it's not some Husky or GSD bark thats super loud or anything.

Side info: my dog is a sweetheart, without a single aggressive bone in her body. I actually met the new neighbor, and introduced her to my dog. NP there. I think my dog is just being protective of our property. She does the same barking routine when the garbage truck loudly drives through and stops in the alley, when landscapers are working on surrounding lawns, etc. She doesn't mean anything by it, and my guess is its more of a fear thing, than a predatory thing with her.

A few things:
Talk to your neighbor about it, see if it bothers him at all.
Has the dog met the neighbor? If he's not scared of dogs or w/e, it might be beneficial for them to meet.
It might be beneficial to allow your dog to see him and what he's doing, if your neighbor is OK with it at some point.

Anecdotal story time, I had a few dogs growing up and chain-link fences, the dogs would sometimes just go ballistic when the neighbors were outside doing neighbor things, but sometimes they wouldn't.

The dog is just reacting to new stimuli and (might) calm down about it eventually as she/he gets used to it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

alternatively, just combine your backyards, he gets the pleasure of a dog and you get to use the pool!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

So, my pup over the past few months (shortly after turning a year) has started to get aggressive with other male dogs, typically larger males, but he did just snap at a pup yesterday, though the pup might have bit his face or something that triggered it.

Does anyone have any advice for training him out of this, or am I doomed to avoiding certain dogs for the rest of his life?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

It's hard to say without being there and seeing what's setting the dog off. It could be totally normal dog communication (dogs do just get up in each others' faces and need to let each other know that's okay), it could be that your dog feels unusually threatened for some reason or another, but it's hard to speculate. There are ways to kind of identify the problem and help your dog feel more comfortable but it's an involved subject, and given it's a situation where guessing what the problem might be and getting it wrong could result in one or more dog being hurt, I'd suggest seeking out an experienced trainer for advice, one who can see your dog interact with other dogs.

Some dogs just don't do well with other dogs, some don't do well with dogs bigger than them, some form other strange avoidances. One of mine, for example, got freaked out by a big, aggressive white dog as a puppy so he takes a long time and careful encouragement to warm up to other white dogs.

A general note, just because I see people do it a lot: don't ever scold your dog for growling, at people or other dogs. That's the dog's way of letting whatever or whoever know that they're not happy with the situation. It's basically an early-warning system. Dogs know to avoid a dog that's growling (generally, unless it's been trained out of them or they were taken from the litter too early) but people sometimes view it as undesirable behavior. But if you train a dog to not growl, you're basically training it to skip over the "hey I don't like this" phase straight to the "I'm going to bite you because I'm scared" phase.

The same applies in general to dogs who snap at other dogs without actually making contact. Snapping is sort of a last-resort "leave me alone" signal. It's usually the case, though, that you as the owner would want to intervene in the situation before it gets to that point, but it takes experience to know what the problem even is and how best to intervene without reinforcing fearful behavior, which would just lead to more growling and snapping.

Yeah I've been avoiding scolding him and I typically avoid the situation entirely (walk across the street or whatever) sometimes avoidance is not possible so I will walk into the parkway and keep him close to me and the leash shortened but he goes loving ballistic.

Thanks for the suggestion though I'll try to find a local trainer that can help.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

loquacius posted:

Dog pooped this morning, too :toot:

A normal-sized poop, outside, in a park. We'd much rather she pooped in our yard but hey after seeing you guys post I'm just glad it wasn't on our rug :v:

We can probably just focus on getting her acclimated now for a few days before we start to worry about things like "not freaking out near cars" but we are gonna eventually have to, y'know, drive her somewhere. That can come later, though. Thanks for your help, guys!

I think 90% of what you're dealing with is her not completely trusting you yet. When we first brought our pup home it took him about a week to fully acclimate to us, he was about 7 months old, had been through a major surgery about 3 months prior and lived with one of the nurses for 2.5ish months, so I think he was afraid he was going to be dumped off at the shelter again or something. After about a week he really opened up and started sleeping with us, really playing and other stuff.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Winter Rose posted:

What do people who work out of the house for 9 hours a day do with your dogs? I've been working from home since before we adopted our puppy so she's used to having me home all day. But I'm going to start an office job in a couple weeks and wondering if we need doggie daycare (probably not affordable), a dog walker, or another dog in the house for her to harass. She'll still get plenty of exercise as we jog with her in the morning and dog park in the evening, but I'm worried about her not having company all day.

The same thing happened with us and our pup, they'll get used to it, we initially started him confined to the kitchen (with crate + dog bed and toys), then slowly opened up the rest of the house once we were sure he wouldn't chew everything to pieces. He sleeps most of the day (got a furbo so I can spy on him) and we generally try to do the same routine as you, exercise in the morning (long walk or play for 45-60 minutes) and evening.

How old is your pup now? It might not be bad to get a dog walker mid-day depending, ours is almost 2 now so he can hold it provided we aren't gone literally all day, but I do get a walker on longer days anyway so he can have some excitement during the day.

Doggie daycare is just too expensive for us or I'd totally do it to keep him socialized and active all day.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Verman posted:

If you have time, I would try working up to longer times alone if possible. Working up to things slowly might be easier than all of a sudden BOOM now you're alone all day.

Yeah this, when we first got our pup someone was home with him all day outside of at most an hour, then it went up to 2 hours, then 4 hours and now it's between 4-9ish hours a day where he'll be home.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I adopted a dog in June and she’s great, but recently she’s developed a problem and idk what to do.

She’s a three-years-old Shar Pei and Pittbull mix. She is well trained, but stubborn. There’s two behavior issues I’m working on; she’s a beggar when it comes to people food and likes to jump.

The new problems have come the past three weeks or so. She’s gotten attached to me. Like, REALLY attached. I’m rarely out of her sight if I’m home.
I’m talking if I wake up at 2 a.m. she comes to the bathroom with me. If I go get a drink, so does she. When I leave she sits and stares at the door or out the window until I come back. Even when my roommate is home. She also sleeps touching me now instead of just near me.

It didn’t used to be this way.

She also won’t eat if I’m not home. If I don’t put her food down early enough before I leave for work she doesn’t eat until I get home. It’s making it real hard to feed her twice a day.

It also didn’t used to be like this.

Also she’s started peeing. Once I just took her out, she peed, I went to the gas station for 9 minutes, she had peed on the floor. She hides when I come in so she loving knows she’s not supposed to.

What’s going on?
What can I do?
I’m especially worried about the not eating when I’m not home thing because at the end of the month I’m going to a wedding for four days and she’s being watched by a friend. (At his house)

E: forgot to pay my advice tax

https://m.imgur.com/Pp9ZCju

Holy gently caress that is a cute dog, please give her a pet for me.

Have you tried to have the roommate feed her when you're already gone?

Something I will say is that the dog will not hungerstrike and kill herself from starvation, she probably just feels extremely safe with you. I've have a lot of rescues in my life and this is often something I've seen with them; when they're eating it's a very vulnerable time, since they are exposed and unable to watch out for threats. I'm not sure of how to train out of that behavior, our current doggo does it too* but it doesn't really bother me; he has also stayed with my parents and my fiancee's mom, and has not had an issue eating when there.

*if he's really hungry he'll eat food from his dish while we're gone, but it's rare

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Martian Manfucker posted:

I miscalculated how much insulin was left in the bottle and now I'm short for my dogs injection tomorrow morning. I've never had this happen before so I'm not sure what to do. She gets her injections at 6:30am/6:30pm, but the bottle I ordered won't be in until around 11am, well outside the +/- 1 hour window. There's maybe half a dose left in the bottle I have at home, if I'm lucky.

Do I just give her the remainder of the bottle and adjust the feeding accordingly? Skip the dose altogether and feed her normally? Feed her less? I feel like the "safest" option would be the first one, but I'm not sure if that will make her BG levels whack out more than just skipping the dose and resuming in the evening would.

Is your vet open? Generally I think they'd be open to answering this question over the phone quickly

MF_James
May 8, 2008

My god that dog is cute. Not sure on your cash flow and such, but most places that do dog training will have a training series for how to play nice with other dogs, which I would assume is fairly general and would help her be better with the cats as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Just ran into a FB video for these things: https://www.consciouspets.com/products/milo-activation-ball

They have a few different kinds, some don't just roll, they jump and such; might be a good winter toy when you can't be outside for too long and dog needs stimulation.

Here's a dumb FB link since I can't find any others: https://www.facebook.com/consciouspets/videos/milo-activation-ball/10155833598791117/

I ordered a couple (they are a bit expensive..) for my dog and my parents, hoping my dog isn't scared of them and that they can take a little beating.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand, true. On the other hand, with enough walks he goes from "walk? walk? walk? / play? play? play?" bounciness to "oh we're inside now I'll lie down, maybe grab something to chew on" - and what I find funny is how in the summer, just a few walks would be enough to chill him out. He'd come in panting and sleep off the heat.

Now that it's like, ten inches of snow, still snowing and cold outside? Around the house around the barn around the field, do it again, whaddya MEAN we're going inside????

I love my dog but I also apparently need to learn how to love snow again, haha.

Sounds like you need to learn how to bundle up properly again!

Alternatively, does the dog like balls? Sit on the porch/whatever and launch balls out into the field.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Big Data posted:

Heading out to get one first thing today.

Trying to work on it. There was no indication that he was this needy or anxious initially, he was just sort of aloof/shy but warm enough. Wasn't barking or whining at the shelter. Going to do what I have to, but my fiancee and I both work so I'm a little worried about his anxiety. After the first few hours of getting to know us at home, he can't even let me out of his sight without panicking. Making it even worse is he is 100% focused on me and jsut sort of indifferent to my fiancee, so now I have two unhappy animals in the house.

Really not trying to overindulge him with attention, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it wrong with him or he's just real torn up about getting dumped at a shelter. He slept in his crate with me in the room last night - so he was better in there. Might've been worse off for him in the long run, but I just couldn't have him hurt himself while waiting for the pet store to open up today.

Does your fiancee feed him, give him treats and walk/play with him? Our dog is definitely my dog, but that's because I do the lions share of fulfilling his needs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Big Data posted:

Unfortunately that's the thing. She doesn't put in the effort I do, but she expects a retriever type personality. Told her she had to out in the time with him and they'll bond but it's not going to happen with this dog with just random pets. Or maybe I'm wrong, basing my experience fostering a GS

Most dogs will not bond unless you spend time devoted directly to them, not just "we reside in the same house", but play, feed, training, walking etc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Yep, figured that was worth a shot.

I am curious what the outcome is of this, I've never heard of that but it seems like something I could definitely run into at some point in life.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ice and salt are bad for the pads, but good loving luck getting your dog to wear boots, we have had a hell of a time with that for our dog. I'm still trying to get him to like the boots because his pads are really bad and will crack+bleed after a good few days of salt walking.

Sweaters are good for any short haired dog imo, our dog is a boxer/pit mix (I think) with a short semi-think coat; he loves the sweater once we get to 20 and below because he can stand being outside for more than 10 minutes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Oh that looks like some good stuff, the big issue we are currently having with keeping the pads (at least the front) in good shape is that our dude will lick everything off within 5-10 minutes of putting it on so nothing absorbs or has a chance to set.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah I would say he doesn't know who you are yet so he's afraid, when you try to reach behind a dogs head if they don't know you, it will trigger their defensiveness.

I would recommend getting a normal collar and getting a harness of some kind, there are plenty of martingale ones such as the Freedom Harness which is what I use; will you have to buy 1 or 2 more as the dog grows up? Yes, but they are cheap $20-35 on amazon, small price to pay. Nice thing about the freedom harness is that it has the attachment for the leash at the front and back, though I haven't used a TON of other harnesses, this was the only one I've used that has both.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

A lot of times, just like human children, dogs will get fussy at bed time/when they are tired, our 2yo pup was about 6 months when we got him and he would do similar things back then.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Definitely agree. My dog did this at it was a sign that he was tired and needed to go to bed. He eventually figured this out on his own, but now I'm wondering if it'd've helped if I'd set a consistent bedtime for him that dictated when he got crated for the night?

Yes, it would.

I had a somewhat rigid schedule during the week of when I'd go to bed, but on the weekends I'd stay up later and it there was definitely a difference in him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Honestly you can't be out for too long even with boots+sweater on a dog, 5-10 minutes max, if there is snow and you have no boots or he won't wear them (my loving dog!!) even less time.

This also depends on the dog, my dog has shorter hair, his ears and nose would definitely have a problem and shortly after the rest of him would.

Also, wind is a factor, we're getting windchill in the -40 through -50 tomorrow with temps being around -16 before that, so it's pretty loving cold; I am assuming you are in a similar boat.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 30, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dogs go through phases just like human kids do. So one possibility is that the dog has just decided they don't want to play by that particular rule right now. And if you're giving them extra attention and letting them out of the crate when they act up, then they're getting rewarded for acting up...

Yup this.

You will have training regression, your dog is going to test boundaries, our dog is now a little over 2 and he's been testing our boundaries since a few months after we got him, so around 10-12 months.

Be consistent, if he's whining in the crate, leave him in there for a bit and if he quiets down you let him out.

Obviously if he's crying for hours it might not be best to leave him in there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

You can't do poo poo for cataracts once they've formed other than surgery removal.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Biting is generally a phase, every pup I've had (and family/friends), has gone through it for anywhere from 1-3ish months. Sounds like you both are doing the right thing, it will just take time to click and instill that it's not ok.

Obviously this anecdotal so maybe someone else will have something else to say.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Have you showed her how to play with it? Play tug between you and whomever and see if the dog understands that; hell even chew on it and tug on it while doing that and it might show her how to play solo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

There is too much cute in that picture, I'm going to have to cite you for it; you can pay for said citation with more cute pictures.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Looke posted:

my pup really dislikes being showered, but when I want one she can't get enough of them :thunk:

My pup used to hop in the shower with me so he'd get a shower/bath then. Now, he sometimes is curious and will let me wipe his face off (he has allergies so we try to at least wipe face/paws twice daily) or just stays away.

Getting him in the tub is a different matter, he used to not mind it, would get into the tub himself and sit nicely for 10-15 minutes; now we need to trap him in the bathroom, pick him up, put him in, my wife and I have to block him from escaping and be vigilant the whole time or he'll hop out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I wonder if my dog has that issue... he's constantly licking where he sits, he has an upward tail so his butthole touches everything, and he gets real butt licky sometimes

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Similar question, our dog does not like loud noises, so if we're walking outside and a firework goes off he will instantly try to run home to go to one of his safe spots (hiding under a table/desk); it's not limited to fireworks though, if a truck goes by that hits a bump and it makes a loud bang, someone using an nail-gun, etc. He will tuck tail and run as fast as he can (aka as fast as I allow him) home, then immediately hide and need comfort/treats before he will come out again.

He doesn't start panting and shake, but definitely it affects his ability to walk outside, especially now, because around us people light off fireworks from like early/mid-June through the end of July.

What is a good way to go about conquering this, it's hard to train out because the noises aren't coming consistently and by the time it happens he's already past the point of no-return; I've tried to be calm with him, sit down and give him a treat after a firework has gone off in the distance, but he just ignores everything and is in flight mode already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Must not have gotten hit too badly, there's basically nothing you can do for skunk smell, past washing the affected area ASAP it will linger for a long time.

Source: I have 2 dogs that have gotten skunked twice each, the most recent skunkening the dog had snuck up on it and attacked, there were tufts of fur everywhere, sadly it sprayed her point blank in the face.... she is a tough dog but that must have really hurt her because she was crying something horrible and the spray was thick on her face like yellow mucus. The house stunk for 3 months afterwards and the dog for another month or two after that.