Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What size crate would you generally use for a 30-35lbs dog? I think the one that we were given when we adopted this dog is too big, and she doesn't like going into it because it doesn't feel secure.

The one we got is 28x48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is pet insurance worthwhile? Had a vet visit yesterday and they gave us a pamphlet for Trupanion

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We adopted an 8mo old two weeks ago she's been sleeping fine so far, until last night.
The first few nights we crated her in our room, but now we're letting her sleep in the room out of the crate.

Last night she started barking at 3am and we took her out and she did pee, but then she kept barking for a few hours.

We're trying the 'ignore until they stop' but it's difficult since we're in a two family home and there's a bedroom right above ours

Any suggestions?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife and I got a dog about 3 months ago. She's about 10 months now, and we have an issue.

She literally won't poop anywhere but our yard.
We were going on a day trip and she freaked out, and we stopped and let her out on some grass for 10 minutes, ran around for awhile, did some training and she didn't poop so we got back in the car and headed home. She whined the whole time in the car until we got home and then she pooped as soon as we got home.

Anyone heard of a dog that won't poo poo anywhere but home? The shelter we got her from said they've never heard of that before.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Stringent posted:

Sounds like she's been corrected for not pooping in the yard and hasn't been taken anywhere else to poop.

She has pooped twice away from the house, and we did praise and treat her when she did. Unfortunately with COVID-19 we're just not away from the house much.

The normal routine is to get up and take her out to the bathroom, breakfast, and then a walk. Maybe we should replace the going out to the bathroom with a walk until she starts going away from the house?

e: she doesn't like peeing away from the yard either, but has gotten better about that

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have resources or advice on taking a dog camping?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do people have pet insurance for their dog? We have a 1.5 year old Blue Heeler/Lab mix and I keep getting ads for pet insurance. Got an offer through Costco for a 15% discount on a plan with Figo, but the cost seems high? Trying to figure out if it's worth getting the pet insurance.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone used a Fi Collar? (https://tryfi.com/)

All the 'reviews' I've seen for it seem like ad copy. Seems reasonably priced for a tracking collar, and even the LTE/GPS tracking plan isn't too expensive.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have a Ruff Land kennel for car travel?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My dog caught a juvenile rabbit in the yard today. I didn't realize how accurate squeak toys are compared to rabbit noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah mine got a baby rabbit last spring, a few quick and hard murder shakes then threw it against a wall. My wife heard the noise it made from inside the house. Harrowing.

The rabbit survived but is still hanging around our yard. I guess it craves death.