Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This seems as good a thread as any to give the folks here a heads' up --

We're doing All Creatures Great and Small as the Book Barn BOTM this month, come on over and read about doggy and vet stuff:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864759&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post486652954

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hey, dog health question:

One of our two dogs -- the younger, friskier one, she's a jack russell mix -- hasn't been eating her food for several days. She always gets a half cup morning/evening (our other dog, much larger, gets a full cup). She's still lively and active and playful, there are no other outward signs of illness or anything, and she'll eat a treat if proffered, but she's not eating her kibble. The other dog is eating the kibble just fine.

It is a new bag of kibble but it's the same brand I always get them (Wellness brand).

Should I be worried or is this just a thing she's doing? Maybe just not hungry or caught something in the yard and has been eating that instead?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is your dog pooping at all?

I'm not sure, good question (most days they take care of business in the yard on their own). I'll watch her this evening and check.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If you have two dogs they can play with each other and tire each other out, plus you have another dog. Win-win.

Nothing makes an adult dog realize he's an old dog faster than introducing him to a high-energy puppy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CeramicPig posted:

So excuse any rambling or typos, I might be a little tipsy.
But do y’all know of a good harness that isn’t ridiculously expensive for my 5 mo old puppy? He chewed through the last one, although we went a little cheap on that assuming he would grow out of it.
Also, what are the merits of a training collar? I’m morally opposed to them but my boyfriend thinks it might be a worthwhile venture. I’m trying to be open minded.

What are you trying to train the dog to do?

I tried several different harnesses and collars to train my 75lb labradoodle to not pull on his leash. Prong collars he just ignored. What worked was the "gentle leader" that compresses and forces his muzzle closed, painlessly, when he pulls on his leash. It doesn't hurt at all but it's *annoying* and he very quickly got the message and stopped pulling generally.

I'd suggest having the dog only wear such a collar or harness when actively being trained or walked, and take it off the rest of the time. Keep a smaller collar with id tag on the pup always, if it's appropriate ly sized -- two fingers room under the collar --he dog won't be able to damage it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CeramicPig posted:

I know the bfs focus is walking better and mine is barking. He’ll just go out at 06:30 and start barking like an rear end in a top hat, doesn’t pee cause he’s too busy trying to wake up his friends, needs to go back out, repeat.

This is the halter I'd suggest for training a dog to walk on a leash -- I was wrong, it's not the "gentle leader" but the "halti dog", similar but different design that goes around the nose not just the head:

https://www.amazon.com/Company-Anim...229309215&psc=1

It fits over the nose then attaches to the standard collar, you connect the leash to it at the ring. When the dog pulls on the leash, it compresses their snout closed. Painless and safe (although dogs do find it incredibly annoying).

For barking training that's harder. Main thing is not to reinforce the barking but it's not always clear why they're doing it so it's easy to accidentally reinforce.

You can try the devices that emit high pitched beeps when dogs bark.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

luscious posted:

Reading books about dog behaviour was very helpful to me and really really helped me to be empathetic, kind, and patient in my training endeavors.

One really neat book on animal training generally was https://www.amazon.com/Kicked-Bitten-Scratched-Lessons-Trainers/dp/0143111949

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

i vomit kittens posted:

How the gently caress do I get this big rear end dog to take his medicine capsules? I got the first two doses down yesterday by holding him down and having my girlfriend open his mouth and shove it back there, but she left for work this morning before he was due for the next dose so I've been stuck trying to do it myself. I can't get his mouth open enough to get it down his throat on my own because he thrashes around too much without another person holding him. I've tried pill pocket treats, peanut butter, hot dog bits, and cheese. He just eats around it. He's destroyed 3 caps already biting into them and spitting them back up, so I've stopped trying until my girlfriend gets back. It's a 3 times a day/10 day treatment so he's now missing a full day of it, so I'm going to go back to the vet and ask if they can replace them.

Its tough and partly a matter of conditioning. I use Vienna sausages. Feed him a few empty ones first, then ones with pills in the middle. Hold jaw closed till swallow if necessary.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Are there specific things to look out for with dogs playing with each other? My new puppy (labradoodle, 18lbs at ten weeks) and my older dog (8 yr old, 45lb jack russell mix) are playing with each other a lot -- which is great! -- but the energy levels keep escalating and I find myself worrying they might hurt each other accidentally.

Omne posted:

The ankle biting is getting ridiculous. Redirecting doesn't seem to work, as our ankles are way more interesting than her toys. We yelp and walk away if she keeps doing it, but she thinks it's a game and chases after us when we walk. Any ideas?

We had the same problem. I've been keeping treats in my shirt pocket and encouraging him to sit instead when he wants attention. That coupled with exaggerated yelping and "no" seems to be working, but it's ongoing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any particular recommended dog nail trimmer? Are the grinders worth it / do they work?

Puppy claws are just *so sharp*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
ANy tips on training a puppy not to nip at clothes / hands? We've tried a lot of re-directing and have resorted to negative reinforcement (NO! etc) but the problem is whatever we do he thinks it's part of a game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, it may be gate up in the kitchen time again. He hates that, but I think it's probably the right call. Thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
How are y'all coping with the return to work?

I realized the underlying issue behind the post I made above about the puppy constantly play biting and snapping at dangling clothes: as we're going back to the office instead of staying home all day, when we get home, he's *frantic*.

I'm trying to have focused play sessions with him and the other dog keeps him busy a fair chunk of the time, but any other thoughts / tips? How are people approaching this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stringent posted:

Puppy is coming up on seven months old and she hasn't evidenced any enthusiasm for her kibble for months. She'll eat eventually, but she usually spends the better part of an hour pushing her bowl around and not eating. Is this normal or should we try giving her some different brands of kibble?

Is she underweight or overweight?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any tips on dealing with "excitement peeing" ?

Now that I'm going back into the office for work, when I get home, it's a thing, apparently.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any tips on dealing with submissive urination?

Our six month old labradoodle is having real issues with it. Tips on training him out of it? i feel like I gotta build the poor pup's confidence and I'm not sure how.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's not just when greeting new people though. Whenever our older dog is playing with him or whenever we tell him "no" (if he jumps up on something, etc.) there's a pretty good chance of it happening. He's just a very very submissive dog.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Honestly that sounds like it might be time to talk to the vet about some medications to help her calm down.

You could try some benadryl maybe but probably want to talk to the vet first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Joburg posted:

Getting another dog without that issue helped Anxiety Dog tremendously.

Oh good call.

Our new pup gets *really* upset if he's completely by himself but as long as the other dog is around he's chill. He only barks when she barks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Turds in magma posted:

Meet Coho the labradoodle.

Hello! You are ver floof

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So my poor large boi managed to gouge himself on a broken branch in the yard and needed five stitches, which he got yesterday. He's eight months old and eighty pounds. He's wearing a cone now.

We're supposed to keep him inactive but he's an eight month old puppy. When he is loose in the house he runs around and slams his cone edge into our legs with all his mass behind it and it hurts horribly and is making our other dog snarl at him. When he's in the crate he whines miserably because the crate is sadness.

Any tips on how to cope and manage a large injured pup who doesn't understand why he can't jump and play right now?

We're doing walks of course but those are limited due to our work schedules.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Slow News Day posted:

I think proper crate training might help? He should learn to associate the crate with safety and goodness, not sadness.

Yeah he's normally very good in the crate, it's just the enforced boredom getting him down.

I'll try keeping him leashed indoors near me. Thats probably the best option.

And yeah I'll order a big inflatable donut for him, good thought, thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
My pup, who is sixty pounds at eight months, just came off the cone. We had to switch to the inflatable inner tube type cone though because sixty pounds of energetic affection is brutal when it hits your ankle behind the leading edge of a hard plastic cone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there any consensus on anti-dog-barking devices? New neighbors and they're complaining about our dog; the dog DOES bark a lot, unfortunately.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's more of a nested issue.

We have sliding glass back doors (so no dog door) and two adjacent neighbors who also have dogs, all in fenced yards. Whenever our dogs see the neighbor's dogs out, they bark to go out, then they bark along the fence back and forth *with* the neighbor dogs, then they bark to be let in. Then once they come back in, after a little while they get bored and bark to be let out again; then they bark to be let in again; etc.

This is all aggravated because we have one older dog and one younger dog and the younger dog always wants to be around the older dog and the older dog often wants to be away from the younger dog, so each will bark until we open the glass door partition and either let them both be together or both be separated as the preferred case may be. So sometimes we let each dog have either together time or alone time, respectively, but this usually makes the dog getting the non-preferred time bark further.

For a while we even trained our older dog to ring a bell instead when she wanted to be let out, but she just started whanging on the bell constantly, which was louder than the barking.

This was all fine but now we have new neighbors who are elderly and don't have a dog but want peace and quiet. Which I can't actually blame them for because it all does add up to a lot of barking we've just gotten used to it and they haven't.

Maybe one of those large area barking ultrasonic things?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 14, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The big issue will be digging, especially if he can dig out.

My dogs spend a lot of time in the yard but I made sure there were bricks lining the base of all the fencing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

a strange fowl posted:

if he continues i definitely will. he's obviously got mental problems so i didn't want to be harsh, but chasing me down the street and grabbing my dog is kind of a step too far. she almost ran into traffic :(

No, do it now. He's already crossed several lines and if something horrible happens you want a legal track record already established that shows he's the aggressor and you're not at fault. Otherwise when poo poo goes down there's a risk that you're made out to be the villain instead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

alg posted:

Pochi is finally starting to come out of her shell at small dog play group :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7kxbCESD3s

Zoooom!!