Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im also having a problem with my dog and strangers. Shes normally good if she sees them from about 30-40 feet away but if they appear suddenly from begins a door or around a corner she freaks. It's bad enough that she wad cuddling with my dad on the couch after we had been at his place for a few days, he went inti the hidden and when he came back she barked, lunged forward, and bit him on the thigh. I tried using the behaviorist finder links but the ones i found in Charlotte either had dead sites or werent doing human aggression training anymore. The one that wasnt doing it anymore told me under no circumstances use an e collar on her which infuriates me.

My dog was feral until about a year old, then she went to training, and im her third adopter. I adopted her when she was about 4. The initial trainer that got her to be normalish with people spent a year training her and did it with an ecollar to snap her out of her fear/aggression charges at people and she had made worlds more progress since I found out who did her initial training and got the ecollar like they suggested and they spent a while teaching me how to use it properly. According to them when she left them she would occasionally bark at strangers but never lunge. Does anyone happen to know of a good trainer in charlotte? I'd go to her first trainers but theyre insanely expensive.

The rescue also stiffed them on months with of work and didnt keep up with her training at sll. She became extremly seperation anxious before i got her. Tears up carpet and door frames, hurt herself on her crate trying to get free after about 5 minutes. Shes on clonicalm to help me desensitize her to that and is up to about 15 minutes before she starts rummaging through the trash and tearing up boxes. Shes fine in her crate with me in the other room for several hours she only freaks when she KNOWs ive left. Kong with oeanut butter helps but not enough. And with how badly she shakes when i put her in the tub for a bath i think she was abused in one.

The rescue originally only told me she was given back because she didn't get along with the first people's kids and then got into a fight with a cat the 2nd person got after getting the dog. She only lasted a week or two at those places

Stravag fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There are Pixie plushies from Pixie and Brutus. Kedah let me put it next to her then bit its head to establish pack position.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I get my dog's meds from chewy. Theyre legit. The price is normally better and you can make any order an autoship for 10% off or whatever and then delete the autoship after the payment goes through

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Medullah posted:

I would love to find something my dog enjoys chewing on. She'll work on a bone here and there but anything else is gone in minutes in the German Shepherd jaws of death. Someone recommended I try yak cheese sticks, and she loved them... For the 32 seconds it took her to demolish. Made all the funnier by the label on them "Long lasting chew!".

This little glutton is getting fat as hell. Add her restricted movement due to heartworm treatment to her never ending appetite and it's a bit frustrating, but I don't mind too much. She should be able to move around a bit more in a few weeks and she was a rescue that was skeletal when I got her so she can be chubby for a bit.

I have to hide all food and snacks because this thing has eaten -

- Entire bag of hot dog buns
- Entire bag of Costco treats
- Loaf of bread

GLUTTON
My dutch shepard crunches cow knuckle slices and other bones to eat them but i get her these rawhide replacement called pork chomps. They last her a long while like 30+ minutes some days. But i actually get the pork chomps and not nutri chomps. She just crunches the nutri chomps because they dont have the give to them i think? Too brittle?

These:
https://www.chewy.com/premium-pork-...jRoCorQQAvD_BwE

Not these:
https://www.chewy.com/premium-nutri...shoCEfkQAvD_BwE

My shepard also is a master of finding treats hidden on counters so they all have to be hidden away in cupboards. She also figured out how to unscrew the lid to a peanut butter jar to lick up about a quarter of a 40 oz jar

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It tooks days of only feeding Kedah in her crates before she was ok with being in there without crying and she was 4 year old when i got her. I still can't leave her in the crate in the bedroom and go into the other room for longer than 20 minutes before she cries. I also haven't been working on it for a bit but i would suggest food in the crate and progressively leave the pup in there after its done eating for longer and longer if its at all food motivated. Also have a special toy in the crate its only allowed to have there

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Have you tried biting him on the ear real quick? Kedah was getting out of control about a schnauzer on a walk so i nipped her on the ear. Next time we passed that dog she sat and stayed sat when i told her and it took a couple days before she started being reactive to dogs again at her usual level

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Careful about robovacs. Monty's poops v roomba ended with Monty's poops victorious

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Even rescues can be several hundred depending on age of the dog and appearance so unless its literally a kid with a bunch of pups on the side of the road youre probably going to pay. Just try not to give a breeder 5 grand for a puppy unless thats really what you want for some reason.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

trip9 posted:

This makes sense, thanks!

The plan is a 20 min walk in the morn, 20 min at lunch, and then an hour+ of walk/dog park/outdoor training in the evening during the week, plus hikes and socialization with our friends with dogs on the weekend. Hopefully that should be more than enough when mixed with teaching tricks and other random bits of mental stimulation we can give them to keep them happy.

I would take my Dutch Shepard for a ~4 mile walk in the morning plus a ~4 mile walk at night, as well as a mid day short 15 minute pee break and half hour bedtime pee break and honestly that was probably the minimum for her. She was also riding in the car with me for 10 hours a day watching everything. I would be prepared to extend how much you walk an aussie

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I knew bred puppies were expensive but holy poo poo I didn't know they were £2500/pup expensive.

2500 is on the low end for purebred dogs especially if theyre papered and they are allowed to be bred by thr new owners

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There are lots of apartments or even towns that are no pit/pit mix of any amount allowed. Dog will be impounded and possibly put down same day. Bsl sucks

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Shepard mixes can be dicey. If Kedah had been an Aussie or German i would have had an issue but because she was a dutch i escaped

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Could it be mange?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It depends on area and people. In Texas they kill them then tie the bodies to a fence and let them rot for some reason. Saw a fence that had about 75 bodies strung up like that once

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I didn't get it then and 5 years later i still dont. It was a little ways outside of odessa or one of the other smal towns out that way. Maybe it was some insane warning to other coyotes.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 23, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I would try holbrook next i guess. The home depots/lowes around didn't have what you needed either? Try the one in clifton park it may have a better stock cuz rich people. Did you try both curtis lumber locations?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Kedah was a dutch shepard with not much floof around her face, but she would only drink water like she had been lost in a desert for a week. Splashed water everywhere. I eventually got one of those big messy feeders with a high lip and the resevoir for catching food and water from sloppy pups

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Teefs

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It has been raining all weekend and if I didn’t do something with Scout I was going to be forced to turn her into a fancy rug so she got to run errands with me. Halloween decorations were out at Lowes so I taught her how to push their buttons real quick to the delight of the other shoppers and employees. She conned so many people out of treats.

https://youtu.be/9mWpKsoQDl0

:3:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

T.C. posted:

Hello dog people!

I was out with a buddy today. He has been figuring out life with his partners little dog. They have a backpack that, in theory, the dog can go into and they can ride their bikes places. The backpack isn't good though. There's nowhere for the dog to properly see out (some very dense mesh over part of it), even though carrying dogs is what the thing is for. If they open it at all, he can unzip it and get out mid ride.

There's a place you can attach his collar so that he can't escape but it's flimsy and long enough that my friend is worried that using it is more likely going to lead to having a dog dangling off his back after it tries to jump, than actually stopping him from getting out.

Is there a product for this that people have used and recommend?

I was looking at something like this for the next dog i get i don't know if it's the best option for them
https://a.co/d/4PQcgWS

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

For the prospective new puppy parents

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Gangringo posted:

Hey internet, everyone meet Umbra, avatar of Anubis!

Despite her resting serious face she is a giant fuckin' goober.

Before anyone comments I am well aware she is severely underweight. I am feeding her as much as she will eat and giving her lots of treats and trying to beef her up.

Omg

Edit: that faaaaaaaaaaace :3:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Gangringo posted:

In my continuing effort to run the bright out of my Dutch Shepard's eyes I'm setting up a a bicycle leash.

I'm looking for a good running harness that fits dogs shaped like her with smaller necks but expansive cheats. I got one and it's okay, but the size that fits her well in the chest can't quite shrink enough for her neck.

I miss my Dutch so bad. Yours looks gorgeous. I also had insane problems with getting things to fit right. Either they were too short along her back or not tight enough around her chest

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah rescuing a panicked newfie from thinking its drowning does not seem like a winning plan

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Prong collar was great for my dog and if they use prongs it means they arent just using e collars to zap a dog into obedience

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Remember to ask for the pupbucket and not a pupcup

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That is a very cute firefox you have there. And it can take several weeks or a month for a dog to start to feel comfortable depending on their history. Some fosters/ adopters ive seen stories from had to remove the tops of crates to carry the dog outside for bathroom breaks because they didnt want to leave the den so if he leaves when hes near the door he has less of a hurdle to clear. When I brought Kedah home the first night she jumped onto my bed to be near me but i could feel her shaking against my leg like she was worried. It may be a little bit before he picks up this is new home and he can get comfortable.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 9, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Find a toy he really really likes and only give it to him in the crate, as well as a shirt/ towel that smells like you. There's also the air diffuser stuff that can help with anxiety

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Newton is such a great dog

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It took me a year to stop looking over my shoulder in the car to check on her after Kedah was gone. Took another year before i felt like i would be able to handle a dog again. Take your time you may not be quite ready yet

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Have you tried one of those redestroyable toys that velcro back together? I don't know how well they stand up to determined destroyers

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

I haven’t, do you have a link? It’s probably something I have to make sure he tears apart correctly rather than just letting him go to town on his own but I’d be interested in trying it.

I don't have a link i just see ads for them every so often and thought it may be an idea for him

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Counterpoint: i would believe in whatever they want me to

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah the amount of people that would walk up to me and corner me against the spycar when I was about to unclip Kedah as shes furiously trying to lunge and barking nonstop at them asking dumb questions for 10 minutes and then would say some bullshit about how they dont feel safe around her in the nc/sc/tn area was insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah Kedah destroyed a tbone in about 3 minutes once so she never got a bone again