Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Weird question, have any of you guys ever have strangers offer to buy your dog? I have some sort of hound mix, not sure exactly what but people always guess pointer/beagle/pit mix (doggo). She's ~55 lbs, has a nice shiny coat and gets a lot of exercise, so she's fairly muscular and just generally a healthy looking 6 year old girl.

One or maybe two times walking around my neighborhood (city) I've had people say, "I'll buy your dog!" and I always just laughed it off like a joke.

This weekend I went hiking, walked by some much older gentleman (60+ I'd guess) and he was like, "Wow! That's a beautiful dog! I've been trying to find a Pointer / American Foxhound and they're hard to come by" - just said thanks and kept walking. Got to the end of the trail, turned back and when I came across him again he just proclaims, "I want that dog - I'll give you $200 for it"

I was so taken back, I just said "It'd be a lot more than that" as in, "it'd take a lot more than that to make me ever consider selling my dog" and he replied "I bet it was" as if I meant "she cost more than $200 therefore I wouldn't sell her for that"

It was just a really weird experience, and that guy definitely wasn't joking to the point it's made me think the previous people weren't joking either. I wouldn't say it spooked me or anything, but I've seen videos/news articles of people just stealing other peoples' dogs over the years and I've had some anxiety since this happened about all the times I've left the dog tied up outside the grocery store while I run to buy 1 thing.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hahaha that's definitely a unique one. I'm not sure if would have been flattered they think I take such good care of my dog, or scared.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mesimean posted:

My only other experience with a puppy and new collar was my previous dog and he just dragged his neck around the ground for a few hours before he was relatively alright with it.

Can't offer any insight, I've never heard of such a problem, but this mental image is absolutely hilarious to me. I just picture a dog doing like a reverse butt-drag with their head all over the house.

Unrelated - I've always loved the idea of multiple dogs, and have been interested in getting a second one recently. When I adopted my dog I had 2 roommates who were home throughout various hours of the day, so she was never home alone for extended periods of time. Since then I've gotten my own place and now she's alone all day while I'm at work. I do daycare when I can, but $30/day adds up real quick. I think she'd benefit greatly from having a companion around the house.

I've been thinking about adopting a more senior dog, partly as a "trial run" both to see how I handle having 2 dogs, and to see how my 6 year old hound handles company. I've brought her to my parents and she gets along well with my parents' dog, and they've brought theirs to my place and again they get on well (my dog is totally cool with it; their dog tolerates mine).

But my real hang up is simply that I feel really guilty about the idea of adopting a more senior dog with the attitude of, "I'm not comfortable paying for any potential $1000+ surgery or expensive 'permanent' medications should such things arise". I'm not made of money and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a dog at the tail end of their life. So like on one hand, I get that everything dies eventually but also I feel like I'm "condemning" a dog if I get one and it makes me feel lovely and like I shouldn't adopt one :( Anyone have any input?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 6, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure if those are even legal in my state (NY); or at least I don't know of any. But that's a nice idea -- I'll look into it, thanks.

The local SPCA has an 8 year old Great Dane who just looks adorable, I've always loved huge dogs - but yea I'm just having a hard time with this hangup :/

e; Googling for such seems to only yield "no kill" shelters lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 6, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yeaa I've been trying to justify it in my head as "Well, you're just giving them a loving home to finish out their life in rather than sitting in the shelter" but I'm still having a hard time getting over it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. Haven't even thought of it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I got a second dog this past weekend! First time I've ever had 2 dogs. New one is a 5 year old Terrier-Pit mix. Aside from the ears she looks very similar to my current dog (https://photos.app.goo.gl/cscUEYNaSg1m6aob8 - new one is sitting up; apparently my work now blocks Imgur so I can't upload it there myself). She's adapted to my routine extremely well; happy to leash up, go out and pee, and go right back inside for breakfast in the AM. Good energy - we've walk 2-5 miles every day (dog #1 has unlimited energy at 6 years old still)

Saturday was great. Sunday was great. Monday was great. Tuesday she peed in the house once. Wednesday she walked into the living room where we were unwrapping gifts just squatted down and pissed in front of all of us. Then she did it twice yesterday; once while I was in another room, then again when I was cleaning up the first mess. Not really sure what to make of that. Today's my first day leaving them alone together while I work, really hoping there won't be a mess to clean up when I get home but I'm not holding my breath...

Also she has kennel cough. SPCA sent her home with medicine to take, I think she's been on it for 8 days now and she's still sneezing a lot, sinus is all boogered-up which then stains whatever furniture / blanket she's sitting on :( I was thinking of calling the vet and asking if it's normal for symptoms to persist for this long after starting medicine...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This Saturday will be 3 weeks since rescueing a 5 year old terrier-pit mix from the local SPCA. I already have a 6 year old hound mix. They get along great, but we're having some real trouble house breaking the new one. She's poo poo in the house twice and peed numerous times. I rarely catch her in the act to scold her / correct the behavior, and now the holidays are over I'm back to work.

That's frustrating, but my apartment is all hardwood / laminate so it's easy to clean.
Maybe the previous owner had multiple humans in the house who could let her out throughout the day, but I was really hoping a more middle-aged dog like this would be able to hold it while I'm at work :( Aside from "take her outside as soon as she pees in the house" I don't really know what I can do?

She's also chewed up a package of toilet paper, and now today she destroyed one of my shoes. I'm starting to really lose my patience now that she ruined $160 pair of shoes... There's plenty of toys, and, y'know, the other dog to play with so I don't really know why she'd resort to chewing random poo poo :shrug: :sigh:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GoodBee posted:

I adopted a 2 year old bigger dog a little over a year ago and he just didn't get not peeing in the house. He was very well kennel trained though so he got to stay in there overnight and while no one was home. What I ended up doing was getting him to pee on command and on schedule.

I can't really say how long it took though because dude had heartworms so he had to spend 2 of the first 5 months in his kennel anyway.

He also has an insatiable appetite for toilet paper, especially the cardboard roll in the middle.

I've never kenneled a dog growing up, and as an adult always thought it seemed kind of unfair... But I might have to learn to re-evaluate :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know there are plenty of dogs who genuinely do like it, it's just a weird hang up I personally have - have a hard time comprehending how anything can enjoy being confined to a small space for 9+ hours a day.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Once in a blue moon I'll let my dog lick the plate after I've eaten everything, or I'll tear up the crust of a single slice of pizza and do some training exercises but that's all she gets other than her regularly scheduled meals.

Haven't done this since getting the second dog though. My first one is super food motivated and needs to learn to be respectful of the food I give the other dog :/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Are there any web cameras I can hook up that actually give a poo poo about user privacy? I want to spy on my girls while I'm at work. They look suspect:

"Did he say spy on us!?"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know most of the articles about Ring's security issues mostly boil down to "Idiot owners re-using passwords" rather than any major technological incompetence on their part, but I'm wary of pretty much any product owned by amazon :ohdear:

e; I take back the thing about no technological incompetence :colbert:

wikipedia posted:

In January 2019, it was uncovered that employees at Ring's two offices have access to the video recordings from all Ring devices.[13] In addition, The Intercept reported that the video data is stored unencrypted.[14]

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 8, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GoodBee posted:

Yeah, that sounds like give it time territory. Once she's figured out she gets fed on schedule, she may chill out.

OTOH she might just be a super food motivated dog.

My hound taught herself how to open my refridgerator last year. I came home and she ate sandwhich meats, 1 pound of sour cream, butter, eggs... All kinds of stuff. I still fed her dinner, and then on our walk around the neighorhood she lunges at scraps (I live in the city and people throw poo poo on the ground everywhere) as if she hasn't eaten in days.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My hound solves those things faster than it takes me to "load" the drat thing :shrug: Maybe I just bought a lovely easy-to-solve one; that DIY one looks like it's serious business.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GoodBee posted:

I got one of those treat puzzles and my hound dog slowly and methodically cleared it out by carefully opening the flaps and sliding things around. The dude tore it apart and tried chewing up the pieces.

I was trying to think, "What ever happened to mine....?" and then I read this and remembered. Said houndbeast could still smell the scent of the treats long after she'd picked them all out and tore it to shreds while I was at work one day.

Incidentally, the same thing that happened to my couch :downs: I let her eat her rawhides / kong on the couch and I guess crumbs fell between the cushion and the armrest some time so she destroyed that third of the couch trying to find the source of the smell :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JaneError posted:

We had a couple (hard plastic) puzzle bowls for ours, but she figured out pretty quickly to just pick the thing up and dump the contents out. With the new one, she may do it to get the last couple pieces of kibble out, but she's pretty content to use it as designed. This is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.com/NEEDOON-Interactive-Encourages-Foraging-Dispenser/dp/B07N1JYYCW/

I love this product image they use lmao

But that looks like it might work well. Pretty drat cheap, too...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So tomorrow marks 3 months since I rescued my second dog, a 5 year old Terrier mix.

My first dog came house broken, this one I'm still struggling with.

When I got her I was home for a week and a half she had very few problems. Then I had to go back to work and she started peeing and making GBS threads in the house every single day. Started crating her and it was going well until she learned how to break out of her crate. For a week she didn't really have any accidents, so I stopped crating her. Then she started going in the house again.

It took me a little while to figure out a solution to keep her in the crate, but I've finally found one... And now it's Corona Quarantine time. I've decided to continue crating her even though I'm home all day, but I have been taking them out during the day.

Either way, I'm really starting to get frustrated with this dog. Should I just continue on the course of crating her? I try to give her a lot of positive feedback when she goes outside, and she's clearly remorseful when I find her messes indoors but sure doesn't seem to be getting any better about it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GoodBee posted:

He wasn't marking, he would just empty his bladder

Yea that's what this one does. She pretty much goes in the same corner of the living room all the time as it's not really used, so she's kind of designated it as a "safe place" to go. She drinks so much water it's crazy. At least it's all hardwood / vinyl in my apartment so it's easy to clean, but it's still really frustrating.

Picture of the tiny idiot:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Yea that's what this one does. She pretty much goes in the same corner of the living room all the time as it's not really used, so she's kind of designated it as a "safe place" to go. She drinks so much water it's crazy. At least it's all hardwood / vinyl in my apartment so it's easy to clean, but it's still really frustrating.

Picture of the tiny idiot:

This rear end in a top hat's new thing is waking up in the middle of the night, getting out of bed [without waking me] and taking a piss in the living room now :argh: Day 1 of crating her over night last night, shockingly no whines or anything.

That picture is entirely too cute.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Joburg posted:

When we got our Great Dane-Poodle, Noodle, she was supposed to be “my” dog. Ha ha ha. She’s much rather lay on the couch gazing adoringly at my husband than play outside with me. No matter what I tried it was clear that I was not her favorite. After a year we got a border collie-lab mix who is much more my speed and everyone is happy. Noodle loves me but I will never be “her person” :shrug: dogs are as particular as people.

As a bachelor, it's great. I'm both of my dogs favorite. Although, I suppose I'm also their least favorite too :thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sigh.

3-4 weeks ago I found a lump on my newly rescued dog's belly right near one of her nipples.

Had it removed 10 days ago, waiting for the lab to determine if it's cancer or benign.

Yesterday I noticed the dog's stitches came out. Called an emergency vet, as my usual is closed on Sundays, and they said it could wait until today. It doesn't look pretty at all, but it's not actively bleeding so :shrug:

I called / emailed photos to my regular vet this morning and they said to take her to the emergency clinic since they're too busy to see the pooch today, but she definitely needs to be taken care of

So.. $1100 for the biopsy, $110 just to see the emergency clinic today + whatever it's going to cost to actually help her. Plus whatever it might cost depending on the results of the biopsy.

Fortunately work just announced they're removing the 15% pay cuts that went into effect at the start of all this Covid-19 craziness, so I'm feeling more confident in the stability of my job, but ugh gently caress me I don't want to be spending thousands on a dog I just got only a few months ago right now.

If I had her longer or this quarantine wasn't going on I wouldn't even think twice about vet bills, but goddamn my dudes.

Apparently being spayed after a dog has been through heat 2 or more times radically increases the chance they'll develop mamory cancer. I had no idea. Based on that alone I don't think I'll ever rescue a female dog again unless I know she was spayed at a young age.

All cuddled up with my other rescue the other day :sigh:

Edit: :toot: "Only" $160 for today. They said it's not worth the added trauma to restitch her, just sending me home with antibiotics as the site doesn't look very healthy. Already have a followed-up scheduled with my regular vet later this week from the surgery 2 weeks ago, so that's convenient timing for it all.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That is a biiiiiig smile!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A ton of variation indeed; mine was extremely miserable after her mass-removal earlier last month and then practically all better the next day. Probably got out of surgery at noon, I think, I picked her up around 4 and well in to the night she'd basically sit there and stare at the wall and cry intermittently. I had to hand feed her food, I don't think she drank.

Next day she seemed radically better. By the following day the pain killers didn't subdue her nearly as much as I hoped they would :v:

Two weeks later, the vet said the tumor was NOT cancerous - much to our surprise. So that's pretty :krad: My little gargoyle is happy to be back on her usual perch, finally without cone.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The blinds were half-drawn so she could look out the window, and also she hosed them up yea. But they were a little hosed up since I moved in to be honest.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds like my 5 year old rescue. I've had her almost 5 months now and she goes outside all the time, but occasionally she still just pees on the carpet, on the floor mat in the bathroom or kitchen. I need to get rid of the carpet in my living room, but yea I don't want to bring a new one into the house while she still isn't getting this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you guys put water bowls on your dog's crate?

I haven't been, but now that the hot weather is here I feel like it's cruel and perhaps genuinely dangerous to deny the doggo water. I decided to just simply not crate her today (first day back to the office 🙄).

Also thinking I might buy a second AC to put in the living room because yea it's just way too hot in there but this gently caress still doesn't comprendo "no peeing in the house" so she needs to be crated...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The dog in question drinks more than I do, she's insane. Also I was more just concerned about her knocking the bowl over :v:

A friend of mine, his dog will drink so much she pukes. Mine isn't that bad, but she definitely drinks more than my other dog who has 20 pounds on her.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How easily does your job allow you to just step away from your desk for 5-10 minutes at a time? If your absence won't be noticed then I'd say it's probably fine.

You'll need to step away to deal with cleaning up messes and getting it out of trouble semi-often, taking it out to the bathroom regularly etc. If you're taking calls or something then it might be a problem.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Erughhh. My hound is the most food motivated rear end in a top hat I've ever seen in my life.

Like a year ago I had to buy a child look for my fridge because she will open it, and she will eat the contents when left home alone. Previously she's eaten half of a 5-pound pack of raw chicken (and stashed the other half in the couch / under my pillow), a pound of sour cream, cheese, eggs, sandwich meats... Pretty much everything that isn't on the top shelf. Today, I forgot to lock the fridge before going to work for the first time in a very long time, came home and yea she ate 4 eggs, a bunch of cheese, and 3 crab rangoon :argh: Good thing I've been long overdue to go grocery shopping, I guess. But god drat it dog.

I want to know if she tests the fridge every single day, or if she's actually smart enough to visibly notice it's not locked. Either way, this jerk is too smart. Ugh.

Fat gently caress in question:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I appreciate the floor cleaning service like that. But leave my actual food alone :'(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mine is super respectful of my food when I'm home. I can leave a plate of steak on my desk and go downstairs to do laundry and she won't touch it. But as soon as she sees my car pull out of the driveway, apparently it's time to scope out the fridge.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kerafyrm posted:

nd will work his little fluffy butt off for even a whiff of food.

Food motivation is a blessing and a curse. My hound will literally open my fridge and eat my food if I forget to lock it when I go to work.

Bucky is definitely super cute though. Is that a Captain America shield with a paw on it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Took my 2 for our longest hike yet, today! 10.6 miles and 4,000 ft of elevation change

Couldn't pass up stopping at this cooling station :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MistressMeeps posted:

Any one have tips on keeping dogs sap-free and happy while backpacking?

No, but I'd be interested to hear a solution as I want to get more into camping / backpacking this year.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alcatrash posted:

Anyone got any tips for mentally stimulating ways to play with a puppy? Every book tells me it's very important, especially for a Spanish Water Dog, but few give any concrete examples of what to do. We try to work on some commands, and we hide treats for him to sniff out.

Here's our boy:

Sounds to me like you're on the right track; might look into a treat blanket or other treat-dispensing toys, and keep up commands.

Also isn't a Spanish Water Dog just an Aqua Dog :thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm generally of the opinion that the size of your apartment doesn't matter so much as long as they're sufficiently stimulated, be it exercise outdoors or games indoors.

Within reason, of course.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've just accepted the fact that my car will forever be covered in fur. Also folding the rear seats down helps.

Have you tried the good old fashioned method of just wrapping tape around your hand and patting your seats down? Essentially like a lint roller

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hatchback as well. I just fold down the seats and that's it. On long drives I'll put a pillow or something soft for them to lay on, but if it's just a 10-30 minute drive they generally don't lie down.

I bought some mesh net that mounts to the front seats' headrests to prevent them from climbing up front. Not great but it works well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dogs with eye liner / shadow are the cutest^

My 6 year old hound has this new favorite thing where she wakes up at 5AM and whines and whines and whines until I get up and open my bedroom door so she can go sit in another room?

She's been doing it for a few weeks now, it's kind of annoying but I'm an early riser so it hasn't been too bad. I usually get up between 5:15 - 5:45. But this week she's jumped ahead of schedule and is now doing it around 4AM and it's really starting to get annoying. Other than simply not caving and getting up is there anything I can do to try and mitigate this behavior?