Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I was fostering for awhile but Im thinking maybe Im ready for my own dog? Im not sold yet, but I was thinking about buying some of the supplies beforehand and I want to know whether I can get a crate before a dog? I wouldn't get a small dog but is there an issue with a crate being too big? Like should I only buy the crate once I know the dog i want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

I think my roommate uses a furminator.. It is good at getting fur off but is it damaging? Are there other gimick items I should be aware of?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Oh does anyone recognize Good World Animal Rescue and protection inc? A dog shelter in Chicago 900$ per dog whom are from Russia

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

I got a 9 month old dog from a shelter. First dog but I fostered for about a year with different breeds and ages. I was going in hoping for older than a year and male but she was the most compatible with my roommates dog, and probably the most ideal for a first timer. She hasn't quite figured out peeing outside. I've seen between advice on whether you should take them out 15 min at a time and remove if they don't go OR stay outside until it happens?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

How have you guys desensitized your dogs to other dogs? specifically my dog is reactive to bigger/taller dogs. During walks some people come up with their dogs and she growls and barks. Often she jumps and yelps while she sniffs them then goes back to growling. I don't know anyone with a taller dog but I'm taking her to training starting next month.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m less concerned about the upholstery, and more about the actual inside of the passenger side door. The panel with the window button and the exterior paint right near the base of the passenger door handle.

Gobi really likes to hang out, basically putting his elbows on the door frame with head and chest out. With the bucket seats he puts his paws on the door panel and can scratch it, same with the paint on the outside. But there’s not really a way to cover this area, since it opens and closes.

I think my best bet might just be a booster seat. That way he can see out and then I can just not roll down the window. But he’s so squirmy in the car I may just have to keep him in the back seats.

I would just keep an old towel and throw over the glass. Altho this might work less well if the window isn't all the way down. Can he handle those dog socks? Maybe try those.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

any advice for dog vomiting in the car? Trips to the dog beach are like 8 min and she vomits both ways regardless if she ate. She's 10 months and Google says it gets better when they're older?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

She's a sweet looking puppo. Do you crate her at all? I'd say a mix of covering the crate and being treated (like kong) in crate helps. I actually also got my dog a stuffed toy she takes in there, and she has taken my shirts too, you could try that.

Any tips on nail clipping? I was able to do it for a few months but now she just hides her paws. I can pay someone else to do it but I'd like to be able to do it.

Also any harness recs with no plastic buckles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Is there a way to make my dog more assertive to my roommates dog? Not always, but sometimes rm's dog will eat her food. Personality wise my dog isn't as food motivated but my rm's dog would basically be a food influencer, loves to eat, watches the humans cooking and eating. Doesn't play with toys. My dog has whined once or twice to get her to stop eating my dogs food but I basically have to do it.

I've started to put treats in my dogs plushies, I'm not used to dogs taking care of their property. When I fostered dogs they usually murdered the plush and I like it. So I need to encourage my dog to tear it up. And now rm's dog will steal the plush. I will give her one too but she's so much more efficient at eating she steals the other toy.

ANYWAYS can I make my dog more bold or less of a beta