Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Bwee posted:

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on whether I should adopt an adult rescue dog or not.

My girlfriend and I are graduate students at Vanderbilt University and live in an urban part of town in a converted house shared by other tenants (our apartment in the house is about 1100 sq ft).

The house has a front and backyard but they are unfenced. However, I am positive that I can walk/exercise the dog at the very minimum 1 hour a day (30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes + in the evening).

We live less than a 10 minute walk from campus, so even though we work during the day I will be able to walk back home and take the dog to use the bathroom, etc. during my lunch hour. Also, our apartment is surrounded by greenspace, parks, and sidewalks for dog walking.

We are about a 15 minute walk from a gigantic dog park, and I will be sure to take the dog to this fenced in area to play at the very least twice a week.

I really, really want a golden retriever (mix - I'd prefer one maybe around 50 lbs or less), especially after my childhood golden passed away at my parents' house a few weeks ago. There are some very reputable golden retriever rescues around here, but I wanted to make sure I would be doing the right thing for the dog.

Oh, one thing to consider is we have two cats (one's 4 or 5, and the other's about 1.5).

Thanks!

Your situation now sounds fine but do you know what you're going to be doing and where you'll be when you're done with school? If you and your gf get jobs in different cities, can one of you handle the dog alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

also RE sleeping through the night-- some dogs will just eliminate inside the crate with no warning, in which case you'll want to set an alarm and make sure to bring the dog outside to preempt that behavior. When we had our puppy, he'd wake us up by whining in the middle of the night and we'd take him outside immediately and put him back in his crate, so we never had to set an alarm. He never had an accident in his crate, and only peed indoors maybe 5 times total within the first month or two, and never after that. He was always good at letting us know he had to go, and we watched him like a hawk for signals (sniffing, circling, etc) so it was a surprisingly easy process for us.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

What time are you putting her to bed? Are you exercising her right before bed?

Our corgi used to BARK early in the morning- like 5/6am, when wakeup time was 7am. He loved going in his crate, he just wanted to wake up earlier than us. We tried a bunch of stuff, including trying to keep him from snoozing in the evening, making his crate more comfy, pushing his bedtime back to 1am, covering the crate, etc. Eventually he grew out of it and now he just very quietly whines for 20 minutes or so before we usually get up, but that is easily ignorable. We had to ignore his early morning barking for almost a year though before it got better.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Orbit's favorite tug toy is a big red kong with blue fabric through it and a handle on one side and dangly strips on the other- like a wubba but with a fabric handle. He can grab hold of the plastic kong to tug and I can grab the fabric part, and it throws really well for fetch/tug which is his favorite game.

edit: here ya go. Kong Tails
http://www.amazon.com/Kong-KT1-Tails-Large-Dog/dp/B005F5D2AA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1356981427&sr=1-1&keywords=kong+tails

Plus_Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 31, 2012

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Thanks. I do think he would have bitten if he could have though. He got the shirt she was wearing. But maybe that was his intention.

He's scheduled for another visit to the Vet this week I believe, so I'll have them bring it up. And training is definitely something that is in the works. Besides classes, we're looking at bringing out a private trainer for a couple sessions to walk everyone through the proper techniques. I'll also grab a couple of the books.

I guess I've just been really depressed about this. It's a great dog and my Mom was incredibly excited. Just hope this isn't something serious that could ruin that.

Just a little note about the sleeve thing-- I have a herding dog and he will jump up and nip at sleeves specifically if he gets upset/ nervous/ feels like he has to try and 'control' the situation. In my case, he's done it twice to men he doesn't recognize when they got too close to him (he barked a ton first to show he wasn't happy) and a couple times to my boyfriend's kids if they were trying to leave the room and he wanted all his people together in the same place. I am 100% sure he wasn't trying to BITE DOWN in these cases, but to herd- it's his instinct to nip when he wants to control (he's a corgi, so he was bred to herd by nipping instead of by giving the eye), and although it is TOTALLY inappropriate and I'm sooo embarrassed that he's done it, it's also understandable that a herding dog would want to herd when he gets upset. I've had my dog since he was a puppy and I know what he gets upset about and what he doesn't, so it's a little less scary than your situation where you're not really sure what the stressor is. But anyway, nipping at the sleeve could be the same kind of issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My 2 year old dog never lifts his leg to pee normally, but always lifts his leg when he's marking other dog's pee spots on walks. He is a corgi and has short legs and who knows what goes through his little brain. I've never worried about it.