Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Brand New Yorgi puppy tax. Meet my new best friend Dexter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So we have had my puppy Dexter in a pen for a while as we couldn't supervise him closely for potty breaks. Well he's been very good about his potty training so today we decided to do away with the pen except for sleep time.

There was one horrifying instance when we were playing his favorite game just now. Well, he likes to be rolled around. After a few times of me rolling him, he flopped onto his back and just peed onto his tummy. :cripes:

He's a good dog, though, and I fully expect cleaning up a few potty accidents now that we've given him free reign of the house - but man, it was one of those things where all you can do is stare and wait for it to play out. Puppies are strange, hilarious and wonderful creatures.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm so proud of my boy! He's not doing a great job of letting me know he has to go potty, but I'm picking up on the clues better and he hasn't had an accident for 3 days now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dexter got his Lepto booster today. The first shot a few weeks ago was rough on him, couldn't even touch the injection site. The vet gave him some diphenhydramine ahead of time this time, and it seems to help a bit with the pain, but he just looks so sad all the time now. :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

This lovable idiot has a tendency to get in trouble the second I’m not looking.

Yesterday, his troublemaking led him to the cord to my box fan.

He got a good jolt, but the vet says he’s fine. Not even a burn mark or anything on him. He’s a little out of sorts today though.

I told you to stop chewing that drat cord, Dexter!! I even gave you a new chew toy. But I turn my back for 3 seconds and suddenly my fan turns off...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

loving puppy claws, man. Must be time to trim already.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I ended up taking Dexter to our regular vet for a follow-up on his electrical burn. Because, as I had found out, he did appear to have a burn that the emergency vet missed completely. I'm not a vet but it looked like a burn to me, so I scheduled this follow-up.

It was a good idea, because they agreed he had a burn and gave him some antibiotics to prevent the wound from getting infected. So I guess there's only one decent emergency vet in my town now, considering this one basically killed my cat - and then missed a very obvious burn.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StrixNebulosa posted:

:stare:

what the gently caress?

I mean, it’s conjecture on my part. But my cat had urinary issues and we took him in probably twice a week for almost 2 months and his kidneys failed.

I strongly believe they should have altered treatment and checked kidneys sooner especially with a chronic urinary issue. I did everything I could, but I’m not at all convinced the vet did.

I probably sound sour because he’s dead, and I might be, but urinary issues in cats should never result in death especially when we caught it as early as we did. (Every vet we went to said they wouldn’t have noticed his issues as soon as we did and gave us kudos for being so observant.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think that's a better argument for an emergency credit card than it is for pet insurance.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dropped my puppy off to have his balls removed, he puked on the drive to the vet :(

Vet says he’s okay though. I’m just worrisome.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’ve got my boy home after his neuter and the cone they gave us is much too small.

That’s not even the worst problem. He’s afraid of it or something. As soon as my wife tried to put it on he screamed bloody murder and started pissing everywhere.

The incision site wasn’t ruptured or anything after that, and I gave him some trazadone, but I’ve never felt this bad for a dog before. He’s just so afraid of everything. :(

At this point I’m almost worried someone at the shelter or one of his fosters were abusive.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My life is a never ending hell hole of pet problems. Dexter just had his neuter and his rabies shot, so we were hoping we’d finally be good on vet visits until his next vaccination right?

Nah, sitting in the emergency vet because he’s had diarrhea and vomiting for the last day. Tried the chicken and rice thing and no dice. So, called our vet and they referred us here since they’re booked out for like two weeks.

Really hoping he didn’t pick something up, which would just be my loving luck. I have to go to the vet at least once a week, if not for the dog, for one of my cats. :smith:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yesterday, Dexter’s left canine was loose.

Today, well...

Can’t imagine that feels good, poor guy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So, potty training.

Dexter is good about waiting to pee outside, but he doesn’t wait for poop - or signal, in any way, that he has to go potty.

He’s lucky I work from home so I can take him out at regular times. But how do I break his indoor pooping habit, and get him to let me know he has to potty?

He hasn’t had an accident in two months, not counting his diarrhea which was resolved with chicken and rice and an antibiotic.

So, he’s normally very good - but hasn’t been these last two days.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CeramicPig posted:

I did not see the word “shaped” at first and my eyes nearly fell out of my skull

I mean... as long as its made out of a safe material?

If it's good enough for your rear end in a top hat, it's good enough for your dog.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoodBee posted:

One of the dogs has been stealing toilet paper rolls and then extracting and eating the cardboard tube in the middle. The rest of the roll is only a little messed up. It's incredibly strange and I don't know how he does it.

Oh god my puppy is just now discovering the “magic” of (destroying) paper products.

I pray he does not discover toilet paper.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well my puppy just spat out a chewed up wolf spider carcass into my hand so that’s a nice pleasant thing that happened to me today.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don’t understand this loving puppy.

He starts picking up on the fact he needs to tell me he has to go outside and go potty. He’s been great about it for days now!

And he just now did a huge pee on the master bed, minutes after I took him out to go potty. I give him treats, I serenade him with praise when he does a good boy potty.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with this puppy.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 19, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoodBee posted:

I'm trying to get the newest dog to sleep in my bed without being an enormous rear end in a top hat about it. It's not playtime, you can't sleep on my pillow, stop chewing holes in my blanket. It probably takes him about 30 minutes to settle down and then he's fine all night.

Hey me too. I've taken him on 4 walks in one day to try and tucker him out but all he does is get hyperactive in bed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My pup definitely dreams when he sleeps. He starts barking in his sleep but he barks so quietly in real life that it almost sounds like a bubble popping or something.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dogs are cool. Sometimes stressful, but that's how life is. Worth it for a cute, lovable goofball.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Jesus. Christ.

Started stirring, heard the dog jump off the bed this morning. Figured he had to go potty, so I got up and asked him if he has to go potty.

So he jumped on the bed and pissed on the brand new comforter we just bought two days ago to replace the previous, pee stained comforter.

I’m so stressed with this loving puppy. He’s 7 months old, nearly 8. Has no other regular accidents in the house. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Also I’d be curious to know how long it had been since his last pee. 7/8 months old might not be able to make it through the night yet. He might also just be being an 8 month old rear end in a top hat as puppies are wont to do. My male did something similar to our bed when he was around that age, it was almost like he just didn’t feel like getting up to go outside and pissing the bed was easier.

He can normally hold it from about 8pm to 5am, often a bit longer. He's a very submissive dog and has a habit of submissive urination, and I think that's the habit I really need to break. I'm training him for simple tricks like sit, down, stay, and he's doing good with that.

I think this morning's event was a display of submission. I'm starting to think about getting a professional trainer, or at least getting him in courses, it might help us both out a lot.

They usually have a fear period around this age though, right?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 24, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I give him a piece of boiled chicken and a lot of praise for going outside potty, and he's been responding very well to that. I'm hoping this is still just general puppy accident stage - these things do happen, and I should really not try to fret unless it becomes extremely problematic.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I will keep that in mind, thanks everyone.

I vent, but I do love this dog and it's all still worth it for those sweet puppy love moments.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At least it looks like you can powerwash most of that off? Sorry though, that's never a good time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Are yorkies just great spider catchers considering their terrier pedigree? I swear my puppy has been a more effective spider hunter in a month than both my cats in their lifetimes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dunno about yorkies, but Apollo (a GSD/husky mix from a shelter so I'm not 100% on what he is) will hunt ANY bug or spider that intrudes in his living room. Or yard. Ant? He'll get it. Daddy long-legs? Yes please. Grasshopper? Yes!

My cats, if they're awake enough to even notice a spider, will just bat it around at best. Which makes it a pain in the rear end as I hunt down a tissue or shoe or something to squash it with.

But man, if the dog notices a bug... it's gone. In his mouth. Dead, eaten.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some people are really, really weird about dog breeds, so I can totally see someone being weird and wanting to buy a random dog off the street.

You're a weirdo and a bit rude for wanting to buy someone's beloved pet, but it doesn't seem that strange to me with all the dog crazies out there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So what’s the deal with dog grooming? Dexter has a bit of a shaggy coat and I’ve never really had to get a dog groomed before. We’ve already got the recommendation of someone who does house visits and specializes in Yorkies, just not sure if it’s really necessary?

He doesn’t get dingleberries or anything, no knotted fur, the only thing I can think of is he gets some long furs on his nose and it covers his eyes sometimes.

Photo of the dude for completeness.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MF_James posted:

Was that the first walk you took him on? It's new, it's scary, do it more and he'll be fine.

Pretty much this, when I got dexter all his vaccinations and took him on his first walk he was real skittish.

Now he’s the dog you can’t say the W word near or he will get way too excited.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alucard posted:

We abandoned the exercise pen part, since it seemed to be just getting her more anxious about everything around the crate space.

First of all that is a very good girl and please pass along a good girl belly rub from me.

Second, I’ll throw out that we stopped using exercise pens for my boy as well and his anxiety and behavior got much better in general.

He’s still a really shy dog but we’ve not had a submissive piss in quite a few months. Without the anxiety he can hold his bladder quite well, often 10 hours overnight. Maybe longer but I’m not eager to test that.

Puppy ownership is a wild ride but it is way worth it! Still figuring it out as I go but my boy is mostly making good choices and staying out of trouble so I guess I’m doing ok.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sab669 posted:

I know there are plenty of dogs who genuinely do like it, it's just a weird hang up I personally have - have a hard time comprehending how anything can enjoy being confined to a small space for 9+ hours a day.

Think less of it as a confinement and more as a den.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
She looked quite happy. Thank you for taking in an older dog.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got one of the puzzle bowls from Target since my Dexter was wolfing down his food and giving himself hiccups and sometimes just barfing the food back up immediately. Thankfully he has not figured out that he can just dump it over. Not that he seems interested in dog food on the floor, the little diva.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Did an Embark breed test for this little mutt.

We were told yorkie corgi because that’s what mom was (and dad was nowhere in the picture, the shelter only deals with pregnant dogs and their litters.)

Well, uh...

Chihuahua and Aussie!? The rest make sense, and he’s got the long and low body so dachsund could certainly be the wildcard ancestor.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 25, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoodBee posted:

I do Care Credit.

I still haven't heard anyone say anything great about pet health insurance. I figure the point is to prevent having to pay a bunch of money at once and Care Credit works for that.

Same, I looked into pet insurance at some point last year due to my cat and while the best case scenario is that insurance is throwing money into a black hole, pet insurance was throwing a lot of money into a black hole for almost no real benefit.

The Care Credit stuff was great and I was able to open and use my account immediately for my cat's surgery, and it gave me breathing room to deal with that charge which was nice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My vet always tells me so long as the consistency and color is good there's no reason to worry.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bamhand posted:

We're very happy with the Banfield annual plan. It's by no means insurance but it covers all your annual checkups including a dental cleaning a cheaper price than I've seen at any other vet.

Not a fan of Banfields in my area. The Mars Corp vets seem to be much worse in general IMO. But if yours has good veterinarians it's absolutely a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How do I teach my puppy to stop darting after the cats the second one enters the room?

One cat really doesn't like him and I don't want the dog to charge after him and give him a good swipe.