Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Right so, have a damaged rescue pup and have been pretty much burying my head in the sand for the past year. Pup has come on in leaps from the huddled terrified lump so it was real easy to ignore her stranger problems. She hates strangers near her. When it happens you cannot distract her for love nor money from fear aggressive behaviour but it doesn't happen consistently. Sometimes she will happily take food, be petted and then she snaps in seconds. Sometimes she reacts right off the bat so no chance of getting them anywhere near her to give food etc. It has made water leaks and deliveries much much harder because she will not be calmed.

I'm at my wit's end now because she snapped and nipped someone she has met before and previously been ok with (understanding family thank god)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Thank you instant jellyfish

Just to confirm we have bought a face halti and a yellow "nervous" coat to give lots of warning, and will be heavy on the on lead walks for the foreseeable.

Himself is not keen on a muzzle so a face halti was the compromise.

We let the dog daycare we use know and they are happy to keep pup on for now. They have had no issues so are treating it as a "one off" for now.

There are some managed walks with a dog prof nearby, we will be going regularly now.

We do want to address this as best we can without detrimental effect on the dog as she is quite energetic.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 8, 2017

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Look, what happened is incredibly sad but it is not necessarily a dog death sentence unless you are 100 percent sure the dog attacked instead of reacted.

I think your wife might be being a bit more level headed in this case tho I can understand that your childs safety is your main priority.

My advice would be to take the dog to the vet for a clean bill of health, get a behaviourist in to help you work on training the dog and don't leave your child alone with it ever again.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Just reread the post , sounds like the dog could be feeling pushed out/ jealous since the children were born? If so and your MIL is right, you have been ignoring some big warning signs.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
We've just come home to find our dog has peed on the bed. I'm really loving annoyed about that, but I'm also a bit worried why this has happened. The last time we had an accident like that was when she was trapped in the bedroom by a closed door but that's not the case this time.

And on the bed?? Really?? Not the floor or the mat or her bed at the foot? It has to be our 600quid mattress??

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
We had more success with the car once our dog had bonded enough to miss us, so the excitement of "Momma/Poppa home!" began to outweigh the fear of the car so we could go closer and closer. And bucketfuls of treats of vourse

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Someone on the thread advised a light jog instead of walking, it gets harder to hold pee in

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Has anyone had experience with a dog vomiting every so often? Roughly once a month or so after a meal she will hork it back up and eat it again. We are feeding from the same brand (collards turkey or collards lamb dry, with a spoonful of random tinned on top for some variation).

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

GoodBee posted:

If you can't link it to something, I'd ask your vet.

Are you feeding one or two meals a day? Are you measuring her food or eyeballing it? Is she eating too fast sometimes? Is she eating right after exercise? Or running around a bunch right after eating and before horking.

Thank you for your input, I am slightly concerned but himself is not at all, so no vet visit until both agree due to cost. I'll give them a ring in case they can offer phone advice.

**---*** answers below ***----**
We use a scoop for a rough measure ( ~120 plus a generous spoon of tinned. Also xlarge frozen Kong of tinned and dry mixed for during the day to make up the deficit. She's 18kg last weigh in, med size dog

She eats 2x day before exercise. There is limited activity at this time, the last time was simply going to bed and boom, this time settled on the dog sofa then spew.

She eats pretty quick, but not a gobbler idt. We had a struggle finding something she would consistently eat but collards is 6m in and going strong

Edit just checked the scoop, it's 60g each time! Much less than I thought. checking with the other half when he's awake about this could be underfeeding even with the tinned.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 29, 2019

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Mostly just venting: flat down stairs has a doguppant since Christmas. Said doguppant is never walked, fat as a fool and constantly barks at every sound with no sign of improvement. My dog is barking and grumbling in response thought we are working on quiet and calm. Tempted to accidentally go round the back amongst the piles of poo poo left to rot and just let the two dogs scrap it out.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Personally the time and attention you have to spend on the dog are more important than the size of the living space. Do you work 10hr shifts? Commute 2 hours each way? Travel away for weeks at a time? Furloughed from covid with no job to speak of so who knows what the future holds?
Don't get a dog.

If you work reasonable hours and can dedicate 2-3 hours per day to waking and playing with your new friend, that's the ticket.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I work right now about 50 hours a week from home, for however long that lasts. I don't know if I'm going back to 40h weeks at work (10m walk from home) next month or months from now.

Ok so what will you do for the time you are at work? Will you have a dog walker, will you use doggie day care, will you come home at lunch etc etc. Probably not a good time for toilet training a puppy, as that can take months to stick for a whole work day.

(I will raise my hand and admit we leave our dog for 8 hours or more but that was not the way it began. We used day care, and worked different shifts, but life blew THAT up long before covid 19. She's old now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I know a dog is being neglected, have known for years but I can't cope with it anymore.

I'm in the UK, the RSpca don't care because it's neglected not abused. It's family as well so it's just ignored and excused and I can't do anything about it.

I should have rescued her but I didn't and now I can't do anything, I have a dog of my own in the flat already and she is jealous and territorial so no moving in with me possible.

I don't even know if I should rock the boat, the dogs 7 now and I guess used to being left 14 hours a day, no walks, no cuddles just fed and watered and left.