Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody have experience with a dog who's terrified of specific noises? We adopted our little Havanese/Lhasa/whatever mix about two years ago. She's very energetic and friendly, but she had obviously been abused and neglected at her previous home; she's easily scared and especially afraid of people raising their hands.

She's gotten a lot more chilled out since we've had her, but we've recently noticed that she's terrified of electronic beeping noises like you might hear from a digital thermometer or an alarm clock. Just one high-pitched beep is enough to have her slinking off to her kennel and her whole body trembling. She's really inconsolable when this happens. Her favorite treats and toys don't calm her down, and it usually takes 10-15 minutes for her to stop shaking. Even then, she's still weary of the person responsible for the noise.

Ever since we noticed this response, we've tried to be mindful about which devices make those noises and avoid using them around her, but sometimes an appliance or TV show makes an unexpected sound, so it's unavoidable. She's so anxious about the noise that she starts getting scared when anyone opens the medicine cabinet where the thermometer is kept.

Has anybody dealt with something like this? Exposure therapy is a common suggestion online, but I'm not really comfortable with that, and it's not a super common occurrence, so it feels like overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Is it normal for a dog to be totally zonked out and stumbling ~8 hours after sedation? My dog had to be sedated today so the vet could examine/clean out her ears. She's been sedated once before, but that was when she was spayed and they kept her overnight, so I have no idea what's "normal" for her. Today she can barely walk across the room without lying down, and she still seems very drunk. She has no interest in water or dog food and will only half-heartedly nibble at a treat.

All of the websites say to expect 12-24 hours of lethargy after sedation, so I'm probably overreacting, but I obsess over this dog.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Thanks for the reassurance. She's back to 95% today. Still no interest in regular dog food but I think she's figured out she can get rice and treats if she holds out.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

If you have a dog door, do you let your dogs have access to the outdoors while you're at work? I've worked from home for the entire time I've had my little Havanese, but I'm starting a new job this week and trying to figure out what to do with her during the day. She usually has free reign of the house and backyard if she wants it, but I'm worried about letting her go outside while I'm gone during the day. It can get up to 105F, and she doesn't have much of a brain. I'd rather deal with a few potential accidents than injury/death.

Any other tips for making the transition? She is a velcro dog, so I'm sure it will be difficult.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm taking my 8-year-old Havanese on her first out-of-town car trip next week. Any advice? It's only 6 hours, so it's not like we're going cross-country, but I've never traveled with a dog before and I'm sure I'll forget something stupid.