Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I stumbled my way into a 16-week old Shih Tzu last week. All in all he's a damned good dog and is learning fast (he immediately figured out the doggy door and potty tray on the patio and hasn't had an accident since I got them), with the exception of nipping and pant legs. The nipping I think I can handle -- he responds pretty well to me leaving the room when he hits skin so hopefully he'll figure it out in a week or so. Pant legs are another problem -- practically any time I'm walking he's attached to a pant leg, and I don't feel like walking out of the room is a great idea here as it just gives him something to chase until I close the door. I even experimented with spraying bitter apple on my sweats and he just gives no fucks. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

a life less posted:

I would either have him trail a light leash indoors so you can grab it and affix it to a table leg, or set up tether stations where the leash is pre-fixed to the table and you attach a misbehaving puppy to it for a time out.

Redirecting him to a toy (maybe something similar, like a knotted up old sock, or a plush tug toy) instead of your pant legs should work too if you get him excited about the toy when your pant legs aren't in the equation. (If you just shoved something at him while you're walking across the room, pant legs dangling, he'll just ignore the new toy and keep trying for the legs.)

I'll give the time out thing a shot, thanks. I've had trouble distracting him with toys. I should also perhaps work on teaching him Off.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Argh, Tater.

So here's Tater's digs for when I'm out of the apartment:

The pen is wrapped around and hugs the walls at the ends which makes escape pretty difficult (he hasn't even tried it as far as I know). The doggy door is always available and leads to a covered cement patio which has his astroturf tray for eliminating, although he prefers to poop on the cement (which I like too).

Now his record so far since I built this up for him is spotless, while he's inside the pen. He got the concept of the tray right away, and more than once I've seen him use the doggy door to go out and eliminate without prompting.

Outside the pen, however, is another matter. I more or less dismantle the pen when he's out of it to make sure he knows he can get out, and when I put it up at first he seemed to get it, but now when I'm playing with him and turn my head for an instant he's over by the dining table eliminating away. I know he knows he can get out when the pen isn't set up because I've seen him do it, but he's regressed over the last couple days. Frustrating!

Not sure if I really have a question or not as I have a feeling this'll just take time. I just set it up Friday and he's only 17 weeks so I can't expect him to be fully housebroken yet. Won't stop me from ranting though. Argh, puppies! :argh:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I think you're right. I'm getting thrown off by how well he's doing with the doggy door when he's in the pen and I'm getting complacent. Think what I really need to do is integrate the egg timer with me going out the door and getting him to figure out that yes, he can use the door when he's not in the pen.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

a life less posted:

I would either have him trail a light leash indoors so you can grab it and affix it to a table leg, or set up tether stations where the leash is pre-fixed to the table and you attach a misbehaving puppy to it for a time out.

Redirecting him to a toy (maybe something similar, like a knotted up old sock, or a plush tug toy) instead of your pant legs should work too if you get him excited about the toy when your pant legs aren't in the equation. (If you just shoved something at him while you're walking across the room, pant legs dangling, he'll just ignore the new toy and keep trying for the legs.)

I'm starting to have success with adapting Dr. Dunbar's "Red Light/Green Light" tactic for leash training. Just stand there in the flannel PJs that seem to be his favorite, then when he sits down and looks at me click/treat, then take a step and repeat. He learned pretty fast and while he'll forget tomorrow it'll be a little easier for him to catch on.

Suppose I can try another round of training after he's done humping his stuffed rabbit. Honestly Tater that's like twice in an hour, you'll wear yourself out!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater thankfully keeps it to his stuffed rabbit that's about as big as he his and hasn't tried humping anything else so far. At least it tires him out v:shobon:v

Obviously humping pretty much anything else (and especially any animate object) will not be tolerated.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How long after the 3rd round of shots (parvo booster I think among others) is it safe for a puppy to go out pimpin'? Tater's is two weeks from Wednesday and I'm trying to see if he can get some serious dog time in over Memorial Day weekend.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MrFurious posted:

Depends on who and where -- I covered this in the OP. If they are dogs you know have had their vaccinations, you're pretty safe. If you've had your first set of shots, you're still pretty safe. At the Humane Society where my wife and I teach, puppy kindergarten just requires that they've had their first round of vaccinations and we encourage them to get in there as soon as possible because of the socialization benefits.

My advice to you would be not to wait. The risk of pathogen is fairly minimal at this stage, and the benefits to training outweigh the risks. As stated in the OP, if you have a good Puppy Kindergarten class available to you, enroll as soon as possible.

What I figured, thanks. Unfortunately the one decent trainer I can find here in Sacramento (why are there so few here?) only has her kindergarten class up to 16 weeks and Tater's 18, so off to some place in Davis I guess.

In other news, dammit Tater I'm feeding you all this pumpkin and I still caught you eating your poop last night :mad:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'll give pineapple a shot, thanks. Can't change his food anytime soon unfortunately -- I have ~7 lbs left of Nature's Variety left and the little guy doesn't really eat all that much. Plus that's the only puppy chow they make and I dunno if I want to switch brands already -- this is already the third brand he's had in a month, which may be part of the problem as well.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, I emailed Nancy Abplanalp this morning with a bunch of questions but haven't heard back yet. Hoping I can get Tater in for this Sundays class.

We hit up a friends barbecue tonight which sported four other dogs, one of which he'd met before. Other dogs don't seem to like him that much. Oh well, just gotta keep trying.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater's first kindergarten class was today and the main thing I took away from it is that he's really a good dog and man, some other puppies got them some issues :staredog:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dr Scoofles posted:

My border terrier Eccles has just started going to 'puppy school' as we call it and I've noticed our class has a few issue pups too. The worst is a very clumpy, thumpy (think bucking bronco) golden retriever of about 1 whose owner is a frail old women. This isn't normal puppy excitement bouncing, it's really smashing its feet hard into everything it can see. The handlers have to hold the dog the entire time during class as the owner just can't hold onto it. During off leash exercises her dog bounds into people and on a few occasions knocks people over.
I have no idea why this dog is in with our standard puppy/junior class, looks to me like it needs 1 to 1.

Eccles is pretty good at class which is nice as you never want to be the worst one there :ohdear:

That sounds pretty similar to our worst guy, who was a largish poodle whose idea of fun was knocking Tater and the other puppies over. Then you got the one who hates all carbon-based life forms and... yeah you know what, Tater's a pretty good dog :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This thread is for dog pups. I'm pretty sure those are seal pups.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I wonder if the two ever get each others' kids mixed up.

Imagine being a mommy seal, come home with some nice fish for your kid and surprise! He eats you.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Splat posted:

Alright so we've had Penelope for a couple weeks now, and Amelia is still harassing the crap out of her daily. I think their fighting is normal, but figured I'd post just to make sure. They adorably stop fighting for a second when they realize they're on camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24XcKz3ae3M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My main worry is I've seen some scratches/scabs on Penelopes legs where I assume she caught teeth.

That is a video of two dogs having ridiculous fun. Witness Tater the Terrible Tuber going at it against a 40-lb giant and loving it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEdZPtWVtA

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Wait are we doing Boston Terrier pics now, cause I was never too hot on them before but I was at the dog park yesterday shooting pics and uh...

... I suppose I could be convinced.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
E: Whoa wrong thread

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 31, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I go with pig hooves for Tater -- those distract him for a good while and impossible to swallow. Petsmart has them for like two bucks and Tater makes them last about a month.

Makes his breath all bacony though, yikes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I'm just going to assume all that green was pulled out of that pink toy. All of it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

a life less posted:

Unfortunately sometimes coprophagia never goes away,

Yeah, tell me about it :sigh: Tater's coprophagia is so wired into his brain that when we're at the dog park (and we spend a lot of time at the dog park) if he's not actively wrestling a dog he'll enter Poop Patrol Mode where he'll stalk dogs as they come in since he knows they'll be doing business in short order. I try to keep an eye on things but there's still several times a day when I'll be talking to someone, turn my head and yup there he is acting out his canine caterpillar fantasy. Ugh.

Now he's starting to eat his own again too, so he's back on pumpkin for now. Little fucker, you're lucky you're cute.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just for my sanity, I take it he's had his parvo shots? All three rounds?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Crumps Brother posted:

Here are a couple videos of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASebq4mblo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkVpJqdcNY
Is that a problem or is it just playful?

These videos warm my heart :3:

Please take them to a dog park if one is nearby so other dogs can share in their fun :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That's basically what I do with Tater -- there's a doggy door from my apartment to an enclosed covered concrete patio with a potty tray so he can get to work. Does the trick just fine -- he hasn't had an indoor accident in months and not even once when I've been out of the home.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I bought a laser pointer for Tater when I got him. It held his interest for less than ten seconds. Sigh,

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thor's got legs like pipe cleaners.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh good lord is that ever a cute puppy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
He's eight weeks old. He won't even have his milk teeth out for another three or four months.

Puppies bite, and when they bite it hurts like hell cuz those fuckers are like sucked-on candy canes. Definitely do the ouch-leave thing when playing, and if he keeps following you when you end then game then leash him to a table or something.

I bought a pair of oven mitts for playing with Tater which worked well too (we still go at it every so often) but as your dog is gonna be a good bit bigger I guess I can't really recommend it outside of for protection.

But yeah, puppies don't have bite inhibition at eight weeks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fraction posted:

bite puppies all day every day????

gently caress that, if they taste me the next thing they taste is my Glock.

Really I have the dog park to thank for Tater's inhibition. Two hours of wrasslin' a day will do that to a pup. Now I actively encourage him to chew on my hands cuz it's like a little massage.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater will pull this bullshit where all of a sudden he'll decide to piss/crap on one particular spot on my bedroom carpet. Always when I'm home I think, never come home to a wet spot. He'll do it once or twice, tI hit it with Nature's Miracle and clean the carpet, then he's perfect again or four or five months. Annoying.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

a life less posted:

They also learn to expect what you're giving them, so you can create a dog who expects 6+ hours of play/walks a day (like I did with mine...).

Conversely this adaptability can be the best thing about dogs. I work full time, so Tater's alone during the day and we hit up the dog park for a couple hours when I get home. Now even if I'm working from home he's on a 3 hours on, 21 hours off schedule where he'll be amped up when Dog Park Time rolls around but is quiet otherwise, with a bit of activity around 7am which is when I'd usually be getting ready for work.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Personally I don't put much stock into pet insurance. All pet insurance I've seen pay in arrears -- you pay the full cost to the vet, then fill out the claim and hope they decide to pay out. If they don't then you don't have much recourse apart from switching providers. Plus statistically for-profit insurance is always a losing proposition for the consumer.

If it's gonna be a few months before you get the pup anyway I'd say start saving for vet bills now into a savings account or something.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think I might be a bit bitter because when I took Tater in for his first puppy visit the vet sold me a $700 "comprehensive wellness plan" that they phrased like insurance and turned out to be anything but. Turned out that aside from his neutering only the vet visits were covered -- none of the associated medicine, no procedures or anything else. And the $2k duck-swallowing incident? They didn't cover a dime. Nor did they cover his 1-year shots even though I did it before the plan expired. When I did the math after the plan expired I paid afoul $300 more than I would have if I'd just paid out of pocket for the other vet visits I did.

After the duck I took a look at some of the pamphlets on the insurance plans my vet accepts and they were so full of scare language that I was turned off entirely. And so I'm left thinking of the vet's business side and insurers both the way you think of auto mechanics.

What really galls me about the industry though is this:

How the hell is someone without a degree in Actuarial Science supposed to cut through the myriad options, each with myriad conditions and caveats, and figure out what's actually best? You can't, and they know it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Your roommate does not have a new puppy, given that there's no pics.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
When Tater was in Peak Bitey Phase I got a lot of mileage out of getting a pair of thick cotton oven mitts and playing with him using those. You can still feel how much pressure he's putting on a bite and react as though he hit skin when it's too much but at least it's not as painful, especially while he still has those damned milk teeth. Plus slapping/wrestling the poo poo out of a dog while wearing them is fun as hell and I still break them out every couple days.

Honestly though Tater's daily dog park visits are what really brought his inhibition in line. Now he regularly chews me when we're playing and I frankly encourage it... It's like a soothing hand massage :3:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I use a food scale, the calorie count on the back of the bag and this dog food calculator. For keeping Tater at around 20.5 pounds or so with his dog food it works out to about 160 grams of kibble a day. I give him about a 140-gram allotment and expect treats to more or less make up the difference.

His weigh-in at the vet last week got kudos so I must be doing something right :shobon:

(I'll admit I free-feed him because I'm a bad pet owner, but he leaves food at the end of the day more often than not so meh)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just need to redirect its playful tendencies. An hour or so at the giant death robot park should tire it out. Just make sure its up to date on its shots -- a giant death robot with parvo is just the saddest thing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Odin is cute :) have fun with the new pup and get lots of pics.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tug is my second favorite game with Tater, just under "slap the poo poo out of the dog with an oven mitt."

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Puppy kindergarten is about you as the owner, probably more than the puppy itself. You learn the ins-and-outs of clicker training, some basics on dealing with leash pulling and the like, and also learn if there's anything your dog may be fearful of -- other dogs, other people, things on wheels etc. It's really about training you rather than the dog -- that takes more than the hour a week usually allotted.

That said, in the deal you also get Super Awesome Puppy Playtime.

Man now I want another puppy just as an excuse to do puppy kindergarten again. drat that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cheese eats mouse posted:

I want more Tater puppy pics :colbert:

Oh.... well alright.

Satisfied?