Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I've been posting over in the mutt thread about my new puppy and spaying costs, etc. There is a complication we have been going back and forth with the vet and getting quotes about, and that is the puppy has a pretty bad overbite. Her lower canines are far behind the upper and contacting the top of her mouth, making a little dent already. That's what I get for adopting a pup from a friend of a friend's accidental litter.

We plan to have the lower canines removed in 3-4 weeks so the jaw has a chance to grow without the lower canines in the way and the pokey tooth doesn't really injure her mouth. The vet has offered to spay her at the same time. She will be 13-14 weeks. It seems like a no-brainer and I know humane societies and so on early spay a lot. Is there any reason to wait on the spay? Doing both will save us money, but I want what's best for the dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sprue posted:

There are some reasons to wait for sexual maturity before spaying, such as decreased risk of cancer. On the other hand, as I understand it, anesthesia is a little dangerous for an animal's health and should be done as infrequently as possible, so it makes sense for them to perform both procedures at the same time in that sense. Medical opinion has swung back and forth a couple times on whether to spay/neuter early (or at all!) and as far as I can tell the increased risk of cancer/joint disorders doesn't seem seem to be so great that it would be irresponsible to do it at that age. I'd just follow my veterinarian's advice if I were you, since they know the health of the dog more then anyone of us could and probably wouldn't recommend spaying then if there was significant evidence that it was detrimental to the animal's health.

Thanks. I really do like the vet, but since she is new to us I have been trying to do my homework. I think we will end up doing both at the same time.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I was scared when I saw this thread had 86 replies. Ive always been a little afraid of PI but for fucks sake.

InstantJellyfish knows her poo poo. Go back to GB S learnincurve

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

He is adorable! Here is proof!

That is a high quality dog.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My puppy is a cute devil and I am mostly enjoying her. She listens pretty well, but I need to have treats available on me more often so I can distract her from say, someone walking by my yard or a spot that looks like a good digging opportunity.

Two problems - one treats are gross. Two, she knows when I have treats and acts like a little angel, sitting, laying down and looking at me with her cutest look. She can smell if I have them in a pocket of any kind. Any tips on keeping stealth treats on one's person? Do those cheesy treat sacks you put on a belt have an anti-smell component? Am I doomed to smell like freeze dried goat forever?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

With our lab/golden mix the fence jumper, we went to home depot and bought 6' stakes and chicken wire and used that to "extend" the fence. It looked like pure crap but it worked. We took it down once the dog turned around 5 ish and chilled out.

Now I have the opposite problem with my puppy squeezing under the drat thing. I'm working on a solution, probably with chicken wire again. It isn't a big deal since we supervise her 99% of the time.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

dog nougat posted:

Fuuuuuuck. The pooch I thought I had adoption pending on? Turns out not to be the case. The lady who was handling my application never updated it with the shelter and now some other dude has him pending for adoption. They're literally doing a walk-through of his house today and a meet-n-greet with his dog. I can only hope he lives in a disgusting, unsafe hovel or that his dog hates the potential incoming pooch.

I'm so upset and heartbroken. I mean I'd love any dog really, but I was under the impression that I had a sweet little doggy locked in and built up expectations of having him in my house.

Oh no! I'm sorry. That is super frustrating. I hope the right dog finds you whether it's this one or the next one.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I know "goldador" isn't a real breed, but my older dog is one from an accidental farm litter. Someone's hunting lab escaped and snuck into a golden's kennel like five farms away. My in-laws have one of the pups, uncle in-law has one and we have one. My dog is the best dog I've ever known, hands down. Chill and a good listener and dumb as a rock. She is 10 now and still healthy and active. The brother is the same but bigger. The sister is one of the most neurotic dogs I have ever known, but that's probably because my in-laws never socialized her.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I mean I get all of that, I just don't want anyone to think they aren't good dogs because of BYBs and the dumb name. If I had a chance to adopt one again, it would be really hard not to. (Only an adult though I am done with puppies after the one I have!)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

hahahahahahah

:smithfrog:

i believe i have lost track of how many times i have said that.

I'm serious this time!! The face of evil:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

She appears to be listening and obeying commands because there were no plants, poop or knitting nearby to destroy.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Good luck with the pupper. Malinios are challenging dogs from what I understand, but also the SPCA could be guessing at the breed.

Can someone reassure me my puppy is going to listen to me again someday? She is 7 months and we are in our second round of puppy class. Suddenly she doesn't even sit for me any more. The regression phase is real, right? Tell me it goes away!

The jerk in question, saving up energy to chew on socks and gloves:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Verman posted:

Its an adolescent phase that most young dogs go through. Mine was right around that age when he stopped listening to commands. It eventually all came back but just keep up with the training and stay consistent and positively reinforce the behavior you want.

Thanks for the reassurance. It's hard, but after yesterday (where I almost started crying after puppy class) I made sure to do a little training session at the end of the night just to re-set. I also made sure to cuddle her really good before bed. I don't remember my other dog being so frustrating at this age, but that was 10 years ago and she is more dopey and chill.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It can be a pain to have gates up, but I have committed to at least two in doorways until my pup can be trusted 100%. I don't have a cat, and so I have these without the cat door. These have a door that is annoying but not horrible to use as a human.This gate is not that much of a hassle compared to seeing your dog eat poop. That just ruins my whole day.
https://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Extra-Tall-Gate-small/dp/B000JJFNJK

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 24, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

God those are cute smash face doggies.

My genetic failure is getting her front bottom canines removed today. They are digging into her soft palate and would have eventually burst through her face like so:

Dog dentistry ain't cheap! At least she won't be in constant pain from them. She is only 7 months so luckily we are getting it taken care of before they came all the way up.

E: The vet only had to remove one of the teeth, I guess the other one isn't going to hurt her. That is good news.

Bad news? No chew toys for 2 weeks. She is a chewing fiend. Any suggestions on how to keep her busy when she can't chew?

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 2, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

We also use a gentle leader with my big dopey golden/lab. It has worked really great. I feel guilty sometimes about not putting more time in to the stop walking when they pull routine with her. With my new puppy I’m trying with a chest harness and constantly treating to get her loose on the leash but it’s really hit and miss.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

My new 26 lb 8 year old Boston Terrier mix inhales his food. I bought him a slow eater which is helping a lot. But when it comes to treats and dental sticks, I could use recommendations. For the latter, my current plan is to get him one of the Kong dental toys but that requires me to put peanut butter on it and he’s not going to get peanut butter every day, especially when he needs to lose 5lbs.

So, treats and dental sticks for a small-medium dog that inhales everything?

This thing has really helped when my 22lbs pup has her last burst of crazy before bed. You can put a couple larger treats in it or a few smaller ones. There are a couple smaller holes in it instead of the big one a Kong has, so it is harder to get the treats out. It occupies my pup for quite a while. I do switch it up with kongs and other treats so she is always surprised or interested in what we have for her. I do not put anything squishy like pb in it because the dog can't get it out like she could in a kong.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-toys/dog-treat-dispensing-toys/leaps-and-bounds-smart-snacker-mini-unicorn-dog-toy

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

Thanks! I got the red medium one for my guy. I put some of these in there and my dog played with it for some time, but in-between sessions of putting his tongue in it to lick the treats, Mickey gave me long looks and was like "Help, these treats are never coming out." He eventually gave up with all five treats left in it.

https://www.chewy.com/blue-buffalo-blue-bits-tender-beef/dp/49574

Are the treats too big? What treats do you usually put in there? Maybe I bought the wrong size?

I break up whatever we have, usually biscuit type treats. I forget which brand we have right now. I also put the tiny tiny training treats like "Little Jacs" in there.
https://www.amazon.com/Bil-Jac-Little-Small-Liver-Treats/dp/B00IT4MONK
I have no idea if the Blue Buffalo ones are a little bigger or not.

My pup also does get fed up and bring the toy over for me to help her get it out if there is a particularly big chunk. It is cute and pathetic.It has been happening less and less as she gets older, though.

If your pup gives up too easy, maybe squeeze and shake a couple of the treats out in front of him once in a while so he is rewarded periodically. After doing that a few times, he might be more willing to stick with it.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

FWIW, we are in a similar situation where much more active neighbors moved in next door at the very beginning of summer. At first our young dog Ivy would bark at this cute little family as if they were murderers. Now she will maybe yip at them a few times and stop. They have been so nice to her, and when she starts barking they say "Hi Ivy!" Eventually she learned that they weren't worth barking at for very long. It took a good month or two for her to get to this point, where she will ignore them, or just give a couple yips most of the time.

I also have tried to keep a small tupperware container of high value treats out there, so that if she barks at the neighbors or someone else walking down the alley, I can get her attention and divert her. It works 45% of the time, especially failing if another dog is involved. I call her in the sweetest voice I can muster according to my mood and treat her even if she goes back to barking. It at least gets her to focus on me a little and let people pass in peace.

We do have a chain link and it lines an alley that buts up to several other back yards so the situation is a little different. We have more traffic. I am interested to read other ideas here, but also pretty sure Ivy is always going to bark at the neighbors or whoever else - at least a little.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Good luck with your puppers. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and eventually you will have a worm free roo who is free to play as much as they want.

We also have a vet appt tomorrow. My 11 yo dog Belle has been having vomiting and diarrhea since Thursday that we tried to treat our usual way with swapping out her food for simple stuff like rice and re-introducing slowly. Sunday I thought we had licked it, but last night she had diarrhea all over. This was with a mix of her normal food and rice.

What makes me worry is the fact that recently she began eating dirt. I noticed it maybe a few days before the vomiting. I thought our other dog Ivy was instigating it, because she is young and likes to eat whatever, but upon closer watching, it is definitely Belle eating dirt. Then Ivy comes over because if someone is eating she has to be eating, but Belle is starting it.

I am afraid the dirt eating in is a symptom of something really bad going on. Belle's littermate was put down earlier this year for a "non cancerous stomach tumor" coupled with liver failure. Another littermate died last year from kidney issues plus another tumor of some kind, we don't know the full details. The dogs are all in my husband's extended family, and that is 2 out of 6 of the litter dying in the past year or so.

I mean, it's likely this is just worms or something, right? I have a bad feeling about this, like these dogs are susceptible to either liver and kidney disease and/or tumors and now it's Belle's turn. They are half golden, half lab, so 11 is really getting up there as well. I am not ready for her to go.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would practice having him go in there and then not leave. Do it for short times and build up. You wouldn’t have to give him the whole range of treats every time. There are better dog people here than me, but that was my first thought.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Me and my doofus dog are giving your pup all the good vibes. Hoping he heals fast and the test results are good.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am wondering if we should get another dog. My husband isn't super into the idea, but I am starting to think it would be for the best. We had to put our older dog Belle down in January when we learned she had advanced stomach cancer. Our other dog is not taking it well.

At first Ivy seemed fine without Belle, but her behavior has gotten worse. She has always been a nervous dog and pretty barky, but it has ramped up. Ivy is a lot more desperate for other dog interaction. We used to be able to take her to my kid's soccer games or the brewery or on a walk with not a lot of drama. Now if Ivy sees another dog she seriously freaks out, barking and pulling and barely listening to me or responding to stinky treats. I think without Belle around she feels both more nervous and more desperate to have a dog friend.

I signed us up for a class for dog-reactive dogs to try and help her be more chill meeting other pooches. I am sure it will help, but am wondering since we have the yard and the resources, maybe we should foster and/or adopt another dog. Thoughts?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Any pics of the parents? I maybe see beagle in there.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ha, mine runs around like a nut and then STOMPS on my feet. She is only 35 pounds but it hurts. She somehow decided "sit" isn't good enough when she really wants something, so she lays down instead. She is so full of it when I get home that she doesn't just lay down, she slams herself down on the ground, including front paws, and they often hit my feet.

It is cute though. And it reminds me that I (mostly) successfully taught her not to jump on people, so there's that.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My dog has gotten more sensitive to specific gunshot sounds recently and the vet behaviorist is having us try sileo. It sounds like a pokemon but I guess it's a gel you rub on their cheeks and gums and it works within 15-20 minutes. It's specifically for sound sensitivity and I've heard good things about it. Major doesn't generally care about fireworks but I'm glad it will be here in time for the 4th just in case.

It will be interesting to hear how well this works. Our young dog was OK last year, (she will randomly bark at a firework) but her anxiety has gone up since she lost her bestie in January, so I am a little worried. Our city's big fireworks are only about 10 blocks away.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah when my pup was maybe 3 months, she did that to my daughter's room. She somehow got loose from the kitchen where we had her penned, locked herself accidentally in the carpeted bedroom, pooped and then spread it everywhere. That is when I started buying the Nature's Miracle in the gallon instead of the spray bottle.

At least car pooch was nice enough to keep it on the floor for the most part!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Engineer Lenk posted:

Maybe fostering a senior dog would be a good approach for you, then?

Sab669 posted:

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. Haven't even thought of it.

I am just coming out of my first fostering experience. I recommend it if you can find a rescue you trust. In my case, my family is not sure if we want a second dog or not. So we became a foster family for a rescue that one of our good friends is involved in. She fostered for them and has ended up adopting 2 dogs from this rescue over the past 5 years.

The fostering process so far has been challenging, rewarding and frustrating. There are a lot of false starts with potential adopters, and there are a lot of awkward e-mail conversations. It has been really sweet watching the foster pooch go from scared little insecure ball of fur to queen of the yard. It has been frustrating (and understandable) to deal with behavior issues such as counter surfing. It also feels really good to know we are providing a dog with a warm cozy place with a routine instead of a shelter that has limited resources. I am not convinced we want 2 dogs, but I do think we will foster again.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My dog does the same. I think she HATES being wet and LOVES being dried off with a towel. All the overwhelming emotions = run around like a squirrel got in the house. She runs around and around then charges the towel like a bull.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hi dog thread. I asked in the cat thread but was told to seek hep here too.

We have a 3yo beagle/pug/Boston and got a kitten. Dog is fine with the cats she knows in dogsitting spaces. She tends to ignore the cats.

When she sees our kitten, she whines and shakes. I am afraid she thinks kitty is a baby squirrel or other prey. Her normal prey drive is mostly KILL SQUIRREL, ignore rabbit, and what is a bird? She leaves our pet rat alone as well, though we don’t let them roam together, and of course never unsupervised. So prey drive is there for sure, but I think we can overcome it with work.

So far we have let them see each other across the room and are trading items that smell like the other between them. I plan on them meeting super gradually, and the kitten has plenty of dog free spaces. We let kitty roam shared spaces when the dog is outside to help him prepare for their eventual hopeful cohabitation.

My main questions were - letting a leashed dog smell kitty in a carrier - I have seen this recommended but am worried it will scare the cat. Is it a good idea or no?

And also I am just looking for tips other than giving them their own space, keeping vulnerable kitty safe with baby gates separating them and practicing sit/stay and recall with the dog with and without kitty. Dog is mostly good about both, but there is that beagle in there!

I can keep them separated forever if needed, but would rather not. We plan on going slow, having supervised interactions with leash and/ or baby gates and knowing they might never be best friends and accepting that. Any other tips, especially “do nots” would be great.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I haz new pupper. His name is Rocky and he's adorable.

Of course he's taken a liking to the gross rear end pillow we were going to get rid of.

gently caress I've tried for 20 mins to post the pic gently caress it.

It’s good for him to like the gross one because he will turn the good ones gross in no time! Cute pupper! Congratulations. Rocky is a good name for a good dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Due to some unfortunate circumstances in the owner’s life, I have been caring for a large husky puppy for the week. I’ve never owned a dog, though I’ve been learning and considering taking the plunge seriously for about two years.

Caring for this husky has helped me understand a couple of things that I needed to experience first hand to clarify. Dog energy is a significant factor (huskies are hopefully an extreme example of this), size matters when you live in an apartment, and dog trauma is real.

There have also been a lot of affirming aspects of caring for this dog: I enjoy the responsibility of caring for the dog, exercising 3-4 times per day is realistic and enjoyable for me, and the presence of the dog brings me a lot of joy.

My takeaway here is that I want a puppy, the dog will be medium sized and low energy, and I am confident that I can succeed in the task at hand. Timing is still a bit of a question mark.

Fake edit: another comforting thing has been the intuitive element of dog care. They really let you know what they need, and it’s very easy to communicate back what you need.

There’s a funny story from last night’s hike that I might write up later too.

Get qualified to foster through your local dog rescue and let them know what you are looking for in terms of size and temperament. Look for something lab/golden/ mixed with something smaller like a beagle or corgi or whatever. Foster until you fail and adopt the doofus yourself.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 18, 2020