Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Edit: I am moving my question to another thread!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good book to read about puppy having? My wife and I are on a good plot of land and our kids are finally old enough to be at a point where owning a dog is feasible, so we're thinking about starting the research process! I looked at the op and, while its a good resource, I didn't see any book selections on it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
What do you guys suggest for a dog collar/harness for a brand new pup? We are getting a goldendoodle that will be about 10 weeks old by the time it moves in with us. I’ve read a few pages back and aren’t super sure if there are any that are particularly good for young pups - I’m hoping to start with leash training by having it in the back yard at first before moving onto the road.

Also, how old would you guys suggest I wait before starting to acclimate it with dog friendly strangers/shops/restaurants etc? Is 10 weeks too soon? I know that the young dogs can’t be out as long as the older ones.

Thanks!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I have a 12 week old puppy (that I'm crate training), but I realized last night that she has actually trained me. How long do you guys suggest people wait to take a dog "back" outside if they start to whine an hour or so after going to the bathroom? I think my pup has put two-and-two together and realized that if she starts to cry in the evening I'll wake up and go outside with her. I've been doing what people suggest (making it boring, taking her right back in after she pees etc) - but after studying her last night I've come to the conclusion that she is either pantomiming pee or forcing herself to produce just a few drops so she can enjoy the night air. I'm not concerned about a UTI or anything since she drinks water at a normal rate during the day and isn't going at frequent intervals during the day like has been in the evening.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Verman posted:

Your puppy is still very young. Take it out every hour or so. Its better to establish good outdoor habits/warning behaviors than get good sleep at this point. Eventually your dog will be able to hold it for half the night or completely through the night but you're still in that time where they feel the urge and they have to go right then. Be thankful they are warning you and not just going in the house. Use a command when they go outside and praise it when they do then come right inside. No play, no walks. Outside to pee and right back in.

Yeah, I’ve been doing all of that (the command is “busy busy busy”) and it’s been working like a charm. I will keep at it then, thanks!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Quick question: there is talk about my family inheriting an 8/9 week old sheepadoodle due to a death in the family. We already have a well behaved dog (2 years old), but my understanding is that you’re supposed to do introductions outside of the current dog’s territory, right? Between New Dog only having one parvo shot and the coronavirus skulking around I don’t want to go too far afield.

We live near a pretty large plot of land that doesn’t see a lot of dogs, but it does have wild life that utilizes it (mainly the occasional deer). Would that be considered too risky? My current dog hardly ever goes on our front lawn, so I can use that in a pinch, but I don’t know if our pooch considers that “hers.”

Also, is it necessary to have the pup sleep in the master bedroom (we have a kennel and some cage extensions) or would it be okay for it to sleep on another level of the house? If I should go for the master bedroom, when is a good age to start moving the dog out of it? I’m totally fine with her sleeping with me, since I’m sure it will be an anxious mess at first - but I want to eventually transition the pup out of my room.

Thanks!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So it looks like my wife and I will be fostering a golden retriever for a bit, since it’s owner is unemployed now and having trouble affording the pup. I know that goldens are notorious for shedding, but if we regularly groom the dog would that be able to mitigate the whole “hair getting everywhere” thing? Are there any hot tips for living with a dog that sheds frequently? I own a poodle, so I haven’t had to deal with this side of dog ownership before.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Well fantastic, thanks for the advice guys! Does anyone have a vacuum cleaner with a grooming attachment? I’ve never been able to have a dog who wants to be in the same room as the vacuum, but if they are worthwhile I have no problem shoveling treats into the future pups mouth to get him used to it!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is there a benefit of getting a puppy at 10 weeks vs. 8? My family has a three year old dog now, and we are thinking of getting a new pup since we think our current dog would benefit from having another pup in the house (and, I mean, who wouldn’t want two dogs??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

e; also something I was reminded of yesterday, dogs often sneeze while playing as an indicator that it's just play. So if you see that from either dog, generally a good sign.

They also bounce around a lot too while play fighting, which is another sign that they are doing it in good fun! I have two goldens that basically spend all day roughhousing together, and we hear and see a lot of the sneezing behavior Sab was talking about. To humans, though, it for sure looks worse than it is since the dogs are coming at one another with open mouths and all of that... but to my understanding, their mouthing each other on the face and neck is the dog equivalent of kids play wrestling.