Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I picked up this little guy 2 weeks ago. His name is Stanley and he's a vizsla puppy. He was born on the fourth of July and we went to a breeder to get him. We initially went to put a deposit down on a future pup, take a look at the facility and the dogs that were going home that week. The breeder informed us that one of the male puppies was backed out on by a couple who decided it wasn't a good time for a dog. After a lot of private time with him and talking to the breeder we took him home.

He's already getting most basic commands but he's not taking to crate training very well. We tried with the crate in the living room then moved it into the bedroom. We feed him in the crate and have tried everything from blocking part of it off, offering him rewards for being in the crate etc. But the moment the door closes and he can't be with us he goes insane. I figured he would lose his voice or tire out and go to sleep but nope. We don't respond to his barking or give him any attention when we let him out. I completely understand that this isn't going to be easy but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is something else to try. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Did you try covering the crate with a sheet, so that he can't see out?

Thanks. Yeah we tried covering the crate with a sheet and he pulled it through the holes in the crate. We used a thicker blanket to cover and didn't make a difference. He just barks and thrashes around for hours. I'm pretty sure it's separation related. He likes being in physical contact with us when he lays down or just anytime in general.

As far as the breed, I grew up with a German short-haired pointer so when I decided to get a pup, I wanted a dog that I could hike, hunt and backpack with while still being a smart and loveable family dog.

He's a solid pup I just wish he would get along in the crate a little better.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
While taking Stanley for a walk yesterday we met an 8 year old mix who was blind in one eye. Her owner said she's really shy with other dogs due to the eye but her and Stanley were playing like they were both puppies. He was surprised how well they interacted.

Then he came home and crashed. It's crazy how fast he's growing. 14.5 weeks and 17lbs. 2 lbs heavier than our last vet visit 2 weeks ago. The worst part about puppies is how quickly they grow out of that stage. He's visibly bigger every week. I look forward to him being grown but the puppy stage is so loving cute.

And he's slowly doing better in the crate. Doesn't make a peep in the car anymore. Still wines and barks at night but not the thrashing like before. Bringing the crate near our bed definitely helped as did spending time every day making the crate a positive experience.

Puppy training class has started and he's catching on super fast. It really helped us to know what we were doing wrong and wow did it made a difference.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I clipped and filed my pups nails for the first time tonight with great success. He crashed hard after our nightly walk and moved in. I covered him with a bath towel so he couldn't see what I was doing if he woke up. I started slow and gentle making sure not to clip too much and he never budged. He'll wake up with a full pedicure and have no idea.

My wife liked it so much she asked me to do hers. I offered her a treat and told her to kennel but she just glared at me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm trying to teach Stan to greet people by sitting down first. Since he's a puppy he gets a lot of attention everywhere we go so when I see someone get all mushy and start to walk over I ask them if they can give him a sit command before giving him attention. It works most of the time but he's young so it isn't 100% yet. This way, he'll approach people in a non confrontational manner. Since he will be a big dog and capable of jumping as an adult, I want him to tackle this before he gets there. Not everyone is a dog person, especially large dogs so if he can approach people in a seated position, its better for everyone.

Even more difficult than training dogs ... training humans.

Oh and story from yesterday, we come across a husky puppy thats about Stans age. They let their dog approach and play without asking permission and invaded our space, only asking for permission after they were sniffing. It started off okay. They start playing and the husky grabs a hold of Stans lip, starts thrashing it and won't let him go. His owner instinctively said "oh they're just playing, hes fine" as blood was coming off the lip of my dog. At this point stan was on the ground trying to get away and crying. The husky wasn't letting up at all. Lip and ear had been bitten, the bite drew blood but nothing serious. I had to grab the collar of said husky and pull him off since the owner did nothing.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 20, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah this just sounds like a puppy. Absolutely adorable and pretty much the definition of a perfect mutt.

Once you start puppy obedience classes things should start clearing up. It takes a while and it's mostly learning how to correct your behavior and expectations in order to correct your dog's.

It won't happen overnight and done things take longer than others.

My 4 month old puppy has commands down like it's his loving job but absolutely loses his mind in the crate. We are trying everything to get the crate to work but the dog just doesn't take to it no matter how slow we go.

He likes certain toys, the Kong, edible nylabones and squeaky plush toys the most . He chases balls but prefers the actual plastic launcher/chucker instead.

Dogs are weird. Learn to accept it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I picked up a sleeping bag for Stanley so we can go camping/backpacking soon. I think he likes it. :3:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
This past weekend my wife and I saw the perfect owner resembles dog situation. It was a black poodle and a middle aged woman in a wind/track suit that I would describe as "prancy" with an early 80s classic rock perm mullet nearly identical to the poodle.

God dammit I wish I got that photo.

But yeah poodles are one of the smartest dog breeds.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My 4 month old Vizsla puppy was nipping and biting quite a bit, probably a combination of teething, being a puppy and boredom. We would reinforce good behavior by giving him something good to chew on and praise when he grabbed the right thing to chew. If he ever bit us we would simulate a yip to let him know it was too much. Usually that would cause him to take a step back and stop nipping. A few times he would just keep going, in those instances we would stand up, walk away and ignore him until he displayed good behavior. An 8 month old German sheppard will probably be a little different but it sounds like you have the right idea, the problem is your brothers might be undoing it by continuing to play and give attention when your dog is exhibiting those behaviors.

At one point he informed me of love handles I never knew I had. Come to find out they're very loving sensitive to being bitten by a puppy.

He mysteriously stopped nipping about 2 weeks ago completely out of the blue. I don't think its entirely done but a combo of doggy daycare and trying to reinforce good behavior seems to help. He comes back from doggy daycare completely wiped out. We live 5 minutes away and he's usually snoring on the ride home.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 6, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My dog just came home from doggy day care yesterday with a cough that got worse through the night. My wife is working from home today so she's going to run him to the vet since we live within walking distance.

When we left the day care they were talking to another customer about having to isolate their dog because he was coughing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My vizsla pup Stanley has the nickname Stanley steamer for a reason. The dude drops some massive heat for a 25 lb puppy.

He started a new random habit of making GBS threads, letting me bag it and walk it to the trash can, waiting until we get back to the front of the house and then dropping a smaller second deuce.

On a positive note, we hang a bell at the door and he's learned to ring it when he has to go to the bathroom. It's awesome to be watching TV then all of a sudden hear a bell ring.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

hah, how did you teach him that?

It actually wasn't hard at all. Once he got the idea that he has to be outside to pee, he started showing signs of being restless and whining when he would have to go. I would walk up to the door and say the word "outside" while pointing/ringing the bell. He would stand and sniff at it for a little bit and once he rang it I would give him a treat, put his leash on and take him outside. We would go outside, I would give him a command to pee and we come right back in, no play time, no walking, just business, that way he doesn't associate ringing the bell with just leaving the house, only relieving himself.

It only took maybe 2 weeks for him to get the hang of it. My wife and I went out for dinner and put him in his crate. We came back and he was whining a little bit. Once he stopped, we let him out and he ran straight to the door just hammering that bell. I let him out and he went straight to his spot, dropped a deuce and came right back inside and snuggled on the sofa.

I was so proud. It even surprises us now when we're doing the dishes or upstairs or something and you hear this bell ring.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Petey posted:

I read Mr Furious' housetraining thread, but there were to things I didn't see addressed:

1) how long should I expect housetraining to take in a good (neither best nor worst) case?
2) do I follow the 2-hour timer rule even e.g. overnight? I re-read the first 5-10 page of this thread and it was pretty mixed...
3) if I have to go to work during the day, what is the best way to manage this with a pup? (I could possibly bring my dog to work, although I figure this would require me getting another crate and maybe not having a timer?)

Trying to figure out logistics here...

1 - varies on your dog and training. Some dogs are quick others not so much. We brought our vizsla hone at 10 weeks. A little over a week later he was basically housebroken. Solid after 14 weeks. We were pretty lucky.

2 - Yes. If you keep up with the schedule he won't have a chance to make a mess and this includes at night. At a certain age puppies don't have a large bladder that they can control very well. Their body slows down at night later on which allows them to keep from having to go so often. Eventually he will get that he is supposed to do that outside. At 4 months, our pup sleeps through the night (10-7am) without having to go.

3 - consider a dog walker to come by and let them out if you can't stop by at lunch time. I would love to be able to bring my dog to work but it's not a reality. That would save me a ton in doggy daycare. Doggy daycare by me runs between 20-30 per day. An hour long dog walk costs between 10-20 for a lunchtime check in. I know my dog doesn't do very well when left alone all day and he comes home exhausted and sleepy which is great for us.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tsyni posted:

Dear friends, I need some more of your wisdom.

I have an 8 month old GSD. She's pretty great these days for the most part, but when we're walking she pulls like a demon towards other people and other dogs, the rest of the walk she's mostly good, unless a leaf blows by or something and she must destroy the leaf.

I've read lots online and there is so much conflicting information I am not sure what to do exactly. Some stuff says stop every time, some stuff says don't stop for sure, some stuff says stop, turn back, then go back the direction you were going. If you guys have some good strategies I'd love to hear them.

She has a regular buckle collar and a 6 foot leash. I've considered getting a harness that attaches at the front. A lady at the dog park recommended a head halter style leash, but her dogs seems terribly behaved so her advice doesn't hold a lot of weight for me.

Here she is wondering if she can pull me across the river to get a cow:

I found a harness kept my puppy from charging forward compared to a standard collar but also a significant amount of training in how to walk and avoid pulling was probably the biggest improvement. Seriously don't underestimate the amount of training it takes just to teach a dog how to loose leash walk without being an rear end in a top hat. Day after day after day of constant training is the only way it's going to work. I think to many people try a technique for a little while give up after getting frustrated way too early.

Teaching a dog to sit is easy, loose leash walking is hard and some dogs are more difficult than others. It's a process but sticking to it will be worth the time invested. I look at it this way, I would rather invest 12 months of my time early on training and getting frustrated to know that I will enjoy my dog significantly more the next 12 years or so.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tsyni posted:

I am happy to put in consistent constant effort. Do you have any suggestions what to do when she pulls though? Should I stop and wait until tension is slack every time, or should I be trying something else?

First off I'm no trainer. We found that a harness helps a lot. Our pup doesn't like pulling against it. Once he feels pressure he stops. Don't rely on it to keep them close though. We still work with him to walk close.

I've heard a variety of ways to teach loose leash walking and correct pulling.

In our positive puppy training class we were taught to bring something of great value like a tube of peanut butter. As you walk with the lead in one hand, allow the dog to lick the reward as you walk which keeps them close while giving verbal praise. Do this as you turn, pick up the pace, and stop at random times. Try to bring the item up to your face periodically to get eye contact. Personally I think this can become difficult as it requires you to have a continuous treat source when you walk and some dogs won't respond once you don't have the reward. Eventually you work up to the point of not bringing it anymore. Other dogs that aren't treat motivated might not respond at all. Some places teach clicker training but I'm not a big fan of clickers personally.

Another option is to not give in to their pulling. The moment a dog pulls, stop and don't allow them to continue allowing them to either walk close without resistance or pull and go nowhere. Consider changing direction. This teaches them that the tension is like a brake and won't allow them to continue. I like that you can reward positive behavior with a treat but you don't have to constantly supply it.

I see a lot of hunting dogs trained to walk with a slip lead/choker which goes back to more traditional training. When they start to pull they get a quick tug of the lead and a then a verbal command when they do the correct behavior. Hunters often use "heel" or "close" to keep the dog in step with the owner. This is more aggressive behavior correction than positive reinforcement that some people don't really like. It doesn't reward with treats so that make it nice to not have a treat dependent dog. A lot of hunting training is moving towards positive reinforcement which I prefer. I think you can use a slip lead to correct pulling while still being positive and not hurting your dog.

I'm currently using the harness for casual walks which keeps him close. We're also working on heel/close at the moment (for bird hunting) and I'm using a slip lead for that. It seems to be working very well so far.

Also look on YouTube, there are tons of suggestions and some stuff might work better than others depending on your dog.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My 7 month old vizsla Stanley went from an adorble puppy last month to a gangly 40lbs of humping dog who had his first wet dream on the sofa just now. (Pretty sure is just his natural weiner lube but it's white and milky)

Can't wait for the "you're not my real dad" conversations and finding tissues and crusty socks all over the pace.

Oh teenagers ...

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 10, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Some people pay good money and spend hours of training to get a dog to do that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Labs are one of those breeds that get overweight very easily, you have to monitor their weight constantly and watch overfeeding. They're already a large and heavy breed prone to hip and joint issues so keeping them at a healthy weight will only benefit their health.

a shameful boehner posted:

I just put my 6yo German Shepherd Bella to sleep after a long battle with nasal sarcoma

it's also valentine's day and my girlfriends birthday

Sorry for your loss, thats always the hardest decision to make ... looks like you had a great dog and you sent her out with respect and a good walk.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Warbird posted:

I'm likely picking up my beagle pup next weekend and I'll have an 8 hour drive back with a dog who has never met me. I'll likely have a day or so before the drive to meet and get her used to me, but I've never done a drive this long with the family dogs, much less an unfamiliar one. Any tips on how to make the ride back comfortable for her? A shot this long isn't exactly comfortable for me, so I can't imagine she'll enjoy it either. I'd prefer she was loose to go and lie and she pleased, but I wonder if a cage would be a better call.

We had a 4 hour drive with ours (10 weeks at the time), my wife sat with him in the back seat the whole way. He whimpered for a while, slept, cuddled my wife and repeated that process about every hour or so. We stopped every 40 minutes or so to let him go to the bathroom.

I'm not sure if you're doing it alone or will have someone with you. I would recommend the crate. If you're always going to crate the dog while driving you should do it from the start and get them used to it. My dog actually enjoys the crate in the car unlike in our house. Once you let them roam free, good luck getting them back in there. Besides, a secure crate is safer than roaming loosely.

Also, see if you can get a blanket or cloth from the mom so it carries her scent. I've heard lot of dogs responding very well to this.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Puppy training classes as soon as they allow. It's such a great investment and will show you that the dog is rarely the problem ... it's usually the owner.

A bowl and water dish. When it comes to food, continue with what the breeder was feeding them. You can change later but gradually.

Poop bags to pick up after her with. A leash bag holder works great too. I have 2 leashes. A 25 ft training leash for recall work and a standard 6 foot walking leash.

An old sweatshirt of yours that has your scent in it for her to get used to. I put mine in my puppies bed/in his crate to acclimate him. At 7 months he still lays on my dirty clothes if they're out.

Some old towels and blankets that you're okay with being shat on or destroyed. Goodwill and tjmaxx are great for this.

The biggest thing ... patience. Puppies are awesome and cute but they can be frustrating so just be patient and realize it takes time for things to catch on.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Warbird posted:

When speaking with a petsmart employee about crates for the coming pup, she mentioned draping something over the wire crate to make it "more den like". It's the first I've heard of something like this. Can someone speak to this? I've got a buddy that crate trained his lab/beagle mix, but she's in more of a large plastic carrier with largely solid sides. Would this be a better option? It would be a fair bit cheaper and could be used for traveling fairly easy.

We have 2, a plastic one for the car and a wire one for the house. If we had to choose just one I would go with plastic. Overall it's just easier to move around, lighter and easier to clean if need be.

Check Craigslist. I bought my $150 plastic vari-kennel for $30 in fairly brand new condition.

As far as the cover it works for some dogs. My pup pulls the blanket through the bars and it doesn't seem to help him relax.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah while labs and golden retrievers are considered "the dog" by many people and I love labs, they can be loving crazy as puppies, and some never mellow out. My sister had to replace her living room window three times .. her chocolate lab would chase squirrels and birds right through the window.

If you get a breed that was typically meant for a certain physical activity such as herding or hunting (herders, collies, retrievers, pointers etc) be prepared to exercise them or your likely to have a bored dog. Some dogs have an off switch which is great ... others do not. Maybe try spending some time at a dog park observing dogs of all types before deciding. In the last 5 months we've had our dog, I've spent more time with dogs than I feel comfortable admitting. Dogs like people are greatly shaped by those raising them but some dogs are just nuts ... like some people.

I have a 7 month old vizsla ... he's a upland bird hunting pointer. I knew exactly what we were getting into with a bird dog so it was no surprise. I take him to the off leash park every day for a minimum of an hour. We've been as long as 3 hours and he can go full speed the whole time. When I'm on a job and have to work so day he's at doggy day care.

When we're at home he's typically a couch potato. When it's been raining and he hasn't been out in a day or two he gets stir crazy and starts misbehaving. He does a decent job of laying around but I know he has a limit.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Went to the vet to clear up some issues with Stanley ... mostly his soft poop.

The verdict was an eye infection, ear infection in both ears, and giardia.

That was a quick and unexpected $300.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It's dependent on a lot of factors, your training, the dog, the age/breed etc. I know smaller breeds tend to have issues holding it long. My puppy was a breeze and pretty much trained within 2-3 weeks of bringing him home (we got him at 10 weeks). I know other people have a much bigger issue with housebreaking. I was lucky, I wasn't working at the time so I was able to take him out at all hours, spend all day with him etc. We took him outside every half hour for the first few weeks and reinforced an outdoor pee spot and command. He caught on very quick and eventually was ringing a bell at the door around 4.5 - 5 months.

Also I'm not a big fan of pee pads. I feel they teach your dog that peeing inside is okay. I just accepted the fact that accidents would happen from time to time. I know if my dog had the choice of peeing inside or going out in the rain ... he would prefer inside.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My dog is a total passive aggressive seattleite because he won't whine but he'll stare at you and sigh really hard when he wants something and knows he's not getting it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've had good luck with Natures Miracle, my dog doesn't seem to have overly smelly urine so it might just be us. Car seats are made with foam so thats what makes it difficult getting the smell out, foam acts like a sponge so it retains moisture fairly well. Spray the area pretty good, then vacuum the liquid out with a strong wet vacuum. Then if you have the option, let your car air out, possibly in the sun.

If its especially terrible you can consider renting a carpet cleaner.

After not having driven my car in a little while, I noticed its starting to smell like dog which is funny since he's only ever in his kennel in the back. Time to give it a good thorough cleaning I suppose.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Really cute pup.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Holy poo poo with all the puppies in here. Jesus.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Stanley is going to be getting neutered this week. Doggy daycare said that he's been mounting a lot lately and he's 8 months ( 2 past the 6 month old threshold for what they allow dogs to be intact). We debated breeding him but I don't think either of us wants to go through it. As much as I would love to have one of his puppies later on down the road, I think its going to be better in the long run to get him fixed.

Sorry Stan the man, but I guess if you never got to fully use your bits you wont understand what you're missing right? RIP testicles.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My dog got himself stuck in our office yesterday while being left alone. My wife went home for lunch to check on him and he was fine when she left so somewhere between then and when wet got home from work he got stuck. He went into the office (door was closed but he can open the handle and push the door in) and it must have shut behind him locking him in. While he knows how to open the handles and push, he can't pull the door open to get out.

He destroyed 4 pairs of my wife's shoes, a can of black shoe polish that made it onto every surface of the room (carpet, walls, blinds, my computer screen) and chewed up the rod that opens and closes the blinds. I felt so bad when we came home, wasn't really upset at him, he got stuck in a room. He never really gets into anything so I assume it was mostly out of fear and boredom that he went nuts. It honestly scared me more to come home and not have him immediately greet us at the door. Then to go upstairs and not see him in our bedroom.

We've figured out a way to prop all the doors open and locked the bathrooms from the outside so we're hoping today goes differently. I placed a frozen Kong and a few treats around the house for him to find and hopefully it will keep him occupied for a little bit.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

this is why my little monsters live in a crate while im at work

For starters we used to keep him in a crate when we brought him home as a puppy. We followed everything in crate training by the book. He just never really took to it. We tried to stick to with it but after 3 weeks of crying and thrashing we tried to start over at a slower pace. We reintroduced him to it at a much slower pace, feeding him in there etc. He would tolerate it but just never accepted it as "home". Once he was around 6 months, we started leaving him for short periods of time without much issue, and slowly built up more time. We would come home to a puddle in front of the crate, bent bars and literally anything that was left in the crate was destroyed. Sheets on top didn't help, music/heartbeat noise didn't help, you name it we tried it. Once he actually managed to escape his wire crate. We have no idea how but he was laying upstairs in our bedroom when we got home.

One night a few weeks ago we decided to try leaving him out just to see how it went. He was 7 months by this point. We came home and he was in the same spot as when we left, curled up sleeping. The next time, same thing and on and on.

We just got him fixed last week so he's wearing a cone of shame to prevent getting to his stitches which also means he can't go in his crate. Since he had surgery he can't go to doggy day care while we're at work so we have a friend stop over and spend an hour with him, walk him, etc during the week which seems to do the trick.

He just happened to have locked himself in our office and freaked out which I don't blame him for. We fixed the doors so they won't accidently close anymore. It's not uncommon for his breed to have separation anxiety so it's not surprising to see this behavior. For the most part it's not too extreme, like my friends weimaraner who jumps through their living room window on a frequent basis and eats their bathroom door just not to be alone. It also chewed through a wood fence when they went around to the front yard without him.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Dog parks have their pros and cons. Like people, there are some cool ones and some douchebags.

Some parks are well taken care of and clean, others are filthy poo poo holes of disease. They're nice because they're usually completely fenced in so you don't have to worry about your dog getting out and running away. With that, some people think they can just bring their dog in and jump on their phones with headphones in and ignore their dogs for an hour or so.

Seattle has a ton of dog parks, each with its own regulars and issues. They are a good outlet for dogs to just let loose. When our puppy finds other pointer breeds they go nuts and play. If you look after your dog, you can adapt them to being around dogs but some dogs just don't like attention from other dogs.

The thing I never understand is why people bring babies and small children to dog parks. Dogs can get excited by children and their nonverbal behavior. I've seen kids hit dogs with sticks, chase them, slap their buts, scream at them, touch their faces/mouths, and try to encourage chasing. Then parents freak out when a dog gets excited and their kids get scared.

Don't go unless you feel you can control your dog.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Holy poo poo 14 days with an active dog in a cone and no strenuous physical activity is crazy. I couldn't be happier when he got his stitches out today.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The only person to blame is the dog owner who doesn't use a lead.

Unless I'm somewhere fenced in or remote enough my dog is on lead.

Dogs do strange things sometimes like take off after people, chase cars, animals etc. Having your dog off lead in a city is a great way of losing your dog. I used to have a neighbor in Chicago with the greatest pit bull. The dog was so sweet and loving and would walk itself around the neighborhood with the owner, holding his own lead in his mouth. He would sit at intersections and wait for his owner before crossing. All that said, I would still have a dog on lead because you just never know.

I hit and killed a golden retriever puppy when I just started driving. It was a little puppy too, I would guess 3-4 months at most. It ran out from between parked cars along the street and I couldn't have stopped of I tried. I was balling when I stopped and the owners ran up.

In other news my pup pointed some birds in the bushes on our return from the dog park. He was so excited and didn't want to leave after that.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 14, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I know this very well. Our 9 month old vizsla likes to be in close proximity to us at all times. We've started working on establishing his independence little by little.

It's tough though, he can open our door and would probably prefer lay up and lock my face while we're doing the dirty. He doesn't care ... he just doesn't want to feel left out and it's weird.

When we keep him out, he comes into the room after with a very different demeanor along the lines of "what the gently caress was going on in here?"

Like children, dogs can make life akward at times.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah there are far more dangerous things than chocolate like grapes. Of course it's all anecdote but my sister had a beagle (bob) who got into my suitcase when I was visiting her. He ate an entire bag of gardettos snack mix and most of the packaging, a king size snickers bar, some York peppermint patties and some peanut butter crackers.

He was absolutely fine.

At another time in his life he got into his food while my sister was away. He ate what was left of the bag, a few pounds worth at least. He was swollen to where you could feel the food in his stomach and had to go to the vet to get his stomach pumped. I think he lived to 13 or 14. Pretty sure he was made of steel.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
While Stanley was home alone today, he got into a box of peaches. It was kind of hilarious because we walked in to silence which is normal. He usually sleeps in our room while we're gone.

We walk in and see a peach just lying on the floor all by itself. Then another on the chair. And another under the sofa. One on the stairs followed by one in the hallway and last the one on our bed.

None of them were really eaten thankfully. Just tooth marks. It was kind of funny because I'm sure he thought they were just balls until he bit into them. They're going on top of the fridge from now on.

Those were good peaches too. Jerk.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Hard poop generally naturally expresses the glands on a regular basis. It's when the poop gets soft that they stop expressing on their own and it becomes a problem. For some dogs it's just always a problem and they need to be done regularly by a groomer. Its a job that I'll gladly pay to have done.

Pure pumpkin in a can (not pumpkin pie filling) will do miracles to firm up a stool. We keep a few cans in the pantry just in case but our dogs current food (costco nature's something - blue bag) has sweet potato which apparently has similar effects as pumpkin. His stool is very consistent now. We've noticed a big difference been food brands and overall coat/ look/ and stool.

Chicken protein (of different brand foods) seemed to give my dog allergies and since we switched to salmon and sweet potato it's been much better.

As for difficulty with kibble, try slowly introducing it with wet food. Do a 75/25 50/50 25/75 and 100% transition over the course of a few weeks. Look for kibble that's small in size and easier to chew. Dry kibble is also supposed to be much better for healthy teeth and gums. They also make some flavored sauces you can pour over kibble to entice them to eat it.

And if the poop never firms up, consider a giardia test.

Man, I sometimes wish my dog wasn't so food motivated but I can't imagine having a picky eater either. I feel like a goddamn drug dealer withholding from a junkie until they do tricks for me. If it wasn't for rewards there's no way my dog would willingly ride in his crate in the back of the car by himself.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Giardia is a tricky bitch.

My pup took 2 rounds of treatments before he finally kicked it. Sometimes it takes more than one go at treatment to get rid of parasites.

It's really easy for them to just keep getting it. If they have it, their poop has it. Keep your dog away from its poop Eggert it goes. Dogs that may have sniffed or eaten your dogs poop could have it and could have pooped in the area, potentially passing it to other dogs or returning it to yours.

Watch public water bowls and mud puddles, and obviously mounds of other dogs poop. It takes a very watchful eye to keep them out.

Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My 11 month vizsla Stanley was leading a dog in a game of chase today at the dog park and slammed into a picnic table trying to run beneath it.

He yelped once and skid to a stop. He sat up and let his front leg just hung limp.

I nearly puked as I thought he broke his leg. I felt around and nothing seemed out of place or seemed to trigger any pain h touching it. I held him for a bit just to settle him down. He eventually got up and walked on his own weight without limping or effort. He had me pretty worried. Nothing looks swollen, he's still wanting to run and jump. It's as if nothing happened but I'm going to monitor him to see if a vet visit is in order.