Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can someone give some general tips on potty training our puppy? I just picked him up today and he's 9 weeks old

I was told that they tend to digest food very quickly, and we should bring him to the designated poop place (at the moment either outside or a bunch of newspapers in our basement in the corner) about 10-15 minutes after he eats.

Well I fed him twice today. The first time I waited 30 minutes with him outside and he didn't seem to want to go. He later went 3 hours later in one of the rooms. The second time he ate he peed almost immediately after eating. Then he squatted to poop and managed to get a small one out before I scooped him up and brought him to the newspapers where he just stared at me. Apparently he was done.

Is there something I can do to 'encourage' him to do his business when hes on the newspapers? I'm going to do regular timed feedings to hopefully put his business on a schedule.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MrFurious posted:

Are you serious? There is a relatively extensive house-training guide in the OP. Including don't use pee pads or newspapers except for very special situations.

Sorry, I word searched for "potty" training instead of house training. Didn't see anything about why newspaper are bad either. My friend has his dogs use newspapers without much trouble. What IS the right method for using newspaper?

Also I thought the 3 hours between feeding and reliving himself was really strange, as every other time its been much shorter time inbetween.

Training for pee seems to be harder of the two...He gets access to water at all times meaning his pee is kind of unpredictable.

edit: VVV I was told puppies should ALWAYS have access to water but now I think about it I guess that doesn't make much sense. If you can keep food from them, why not water too, right?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 11, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ok so I've regulated my puppy's drinking times and have gotten better at catching him in the act of peeing.

But the problem is that when I pick him up and put him on the newspaper he immediately stops peeing and then sits down and just kind looks at me. Any freedom of movement after that and he escapes to finish peeing somewhere else.

Yet sometimes he pees perfectly on the designated pee spot(which he gets praise for).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This week past week (and the upcoming week) is pretty much cold and rain 24/7 where I live. So whenever I pull the leash out to bring him outside he quickly cowers in his dog bed and pretends to lie down and sleep. Not to mention sometimes I need to get dressed before we go outside so it can add a minute or two to when he needs to pee. I guess I need to stop babying him?

Also I'll try waiting him out when I put him on the newspaper but sometimes he really does just pee a tiny bit, enough that he finishes before I scoop him up. So it's difficult to tell when he's really done or not. But I will try waiting longer from now on.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dogdoo 8 posted:

The pup's going to have to learn sometime and the longer you put it off the harder it'll be. Get the extra good treats (chicken, cooked hamburger, hot dogs, cheese), then grab the little guy and treat him while you're putting on his harness (you have a harness, right? If not, you really need one) and his leash and when you walk out the door and immediately after he pees.

No harness, I've been using a collar. I will get one today.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Is there any particular reason you're sticking with newspaper even though the OP and all the people who have responded to you have pointed out that newspaper is really not a very good idea?

Well I thought it was an acceptable alternative for those times when we can't go outside (or quickly enough) for whatever reason but I guess that's not a good enough.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If you mean me, my dog is not a toy breed. He is a Black Lab (1/2) and a German Sherpard/Akita Mix. Fairly large for a puppy I think.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 13, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thanks for the advice everyone. My puppy still has his accidents but I get the feeling they're more out of spite rather than actual can't-hold-it-in anymore(like when I'm eating a snack/meal and won't give him any, or when he whines before its regular feeding time)

I have another problem now though; he absolutely refuses to go on walks. He loves our backyard where we can let him off leash, but I'd really prefer to be able to walk around my neighborhood where he can interact with other dogs and people. If we start to walk down our driveway he stops at the edge and sits, if I try to coax him further he turns around and looks at the house and whimpers. Any ideas?

edit: Just a reminder: he's 10 weeks old, maybe he'll grow out of his fear of walks?

edit2: Nevermind, apparently all it took was a few treats held by my sister across the street and then further down the street and he found his courage to explore.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 16, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do I get my puppy to play nice with other dogs? He's a 14 week old Black Lab + German Shepherd/Akita so right now hes bigger than a few full grown breeds. When he wants to play with a dog he kind of barks and growls(but not an angry growl) which if you're a little shitzuh it might be a little scary, especially to the owner. (He also does this to our cat who is terrified of him still)

And sometimes when he does play with another dog he kind of mouths them, but if they're in a chase he'll actually like grab their tail/fur which as you can imagine doesn't come across well to the other owner. When I play with him he still mouths occasionally but its very soft and gentle, even with his sharp teething teeth. Occasionally he will paw other dogs as well.

This is all with smaller dogs; against any bigger dogs he usually sits his butt down and lets the other dog smell him and kind of looks intimidated. The few times hes tried the mouthing/pawing a bigger dog who didn't like it he quickly got the idea that he can't do that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Away all Goats posted:

How do I get my puppy to play nice with other dogs? He's a 14 week old Black Lab + German Shepherd/Akita so right now hes bigger than a few full grown breeds. When he wants to play with a dog he kind of barks and growls(but not an angry growl) which if you're a little shitzuh it might be a little scary, especially to the owner. (He also does this to our cat who is terrified of him still)

And sometimes when he does play with another dog he kind of mouths them, but if they're in a chase he'll actually like grab their tail/fur which as you can imagine doesn't come across well to the other owner. When I play with him he still mouths occasionally but its very soft and gentle, even with his sharp teething teeth. Occasionally he will paw other dogs as well.

This is all with smaller dogs; against any bigger dogs he usually sits his butt down and lets the other dog smell him and kind of looks intimidated. The few times hes tried the mouthing/pawing a bigger dog who didn't like it he quickly got the idea that he can't do that.

Since no one responded, here's a TL;DR: I think my dog is a bully. Is there something I can do or should I just live with it?

Today he was chasing around a 5 month old and an older/bigger golden retriever was actually stepping in to keep them separated.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ButWhatIf posted:

After very recently reading a story about a French Bulldog puppy who was killed by a Petco trainer who lifted the puppy off the ground by its neck, I never recommend big box chains for training, socialization, any of the above. Yes, the stores are trying to make the shift away from "punishment-based" training, but they don't have any actual requirements in terms of the people they hire, there's no certification process (which is a whole other huge kettle of fish within the industry that our company is going to be lobbying for), and there's no guarantee that the trainer at any particular store isn't going to be doing something harmful or undesirable.

Maybe it's different for Petco, but our Petsmart trainer definitely went through a certification process and is pretty qualified to train dogs. You're right that there's no guarantee that the trainer will be any good though. I guess the best bet is to try to get a sneak peek at the trainer going through a class or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My 14 week old lab/sheperd puppy has stopped responding to calls.

Prior to this it was pretty much flawless, he would come even in the middle of a crowded dog park. But for some reason starting yesterday he has stopped. He'll look up and see me calling him, then continue doing whatever he was doing. Nothing has changed, I have not scolded/disciplined him for coming to me. I give him treats every time he comes to me when I call. He had previous issues with not coming when called, and at the recommendation of a trainer I moved up to liver treats which was very successful at getting him to come every time, until yesterday. Using the same liver treats he just decides whether he wants to come or not.

Is it possible he became bored with the treat?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 3, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MrFurious posted:

I bolded the funny parts. This may come as a shock to you, but you do not (and did not) have a rock solid recall at 14 weeks. Period. If you were getting that behavior that soon, that's great, but there is no way it was well-conditioned that quickly. Back up and stick with it. Stop asking for recalls in the dog park and focus on making them continue to be rewarding in situations your dog can handle. Things are going to continue to change a lot over the next year and recalls are a Big Deal.

I don't count so well. He's actually 18 weeks, but I guess that doesn't make much a difference. He handles recalls at the dog park really well, I don't call him when he's busy playing with another dog, but usually when he wanders away to an area of the park without dogs or people(which is usually when I take him home, cause he's probably tired).

And thanks, I will try mixing up the treats from now on.

edit: VVV Yes, He finished getting them all at 4 months and I've been taking him to the dog park since then.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 4, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can I talk about weird behavior my puppy does?

He never lefts his leg to pee. Ever. He kind of just lowers his crotch and goes, which is kind of annoying when he stops randomly on our walks until I hear/see the pee. Now I googled around and found that lifting a leg to pee is kind of a dominance/marking territory thing, and that a dog that only pees through the crouch method tend to be submissive and kind of a wussy (frankly, a very accurate description of my pup). I suppose this is a good thing because I definitely don't want an aggressive dog that I'm constantly disciplining or having problems with.

Should I be concerned in anyway? He's still very friendly and sociable to other dogs and people, but as soon as any other dogs shows some aggression/dominance hes instantly on his back. He still tries to hump the occasional dog though.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 12, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just want to suggest (depending on the size of your home) getting a laser pointer if you don't/cant do a late night walk. My puppy loves chasing it and tires very quickly when he does.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do you guys feel about rawhides? My puppy has his full set of adult dog teeth and it seems he loves to chew stuff even more now, especially right before bed/naptime.

I also gave him a deer antler thing that he really loves, but its quickly being worn down to just a nub.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Recently my 6mo old Lab/Shepherd mix has started showing possessiveness over toys/balls when we're at the dog park. At home he's fine with me taking toys right out of his mouth (not that I do it often). But at the park, he'll be happily playing with a toy one moment, but if a dog approaches him he either snarls, barks or nips at them. They are almost never his toys either, lots of people bring in balls and ropes and just leave them for other dogs to play with. When he does act possessive I usually step in, take the toy away from him and give it to the other dog.

Is this the right way to handle it? I don't really know any other dogs I could 'practice' this with at home.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Engineer Lenk posted:

Teach a solid 'drop it' and keep rewards on your body (probably treats) at the park. If you're just taking it away each time he may figure out that running away from you with it is a more fun game. I wouldn't let him play with the toys he scavenges at the park, since you know he's going to get obnoxious. If he grabs something just cue drop it and reward the crap out of leaving it alone.

You could also have him automatically retrieve to hand, but that's a bit riskier because he has the toy for longer.

I don't always take the toy away from him, only when he snaps at another dog for daring to approach him while he's playing/chewing on it. I will keep him away from toys at the park from now on though. I just wish there was a way to teach him it's okay for him to share.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I have these for my dog: http://www.mypoochiesparadise.com/web_images/chuckit_rubber_balls_1.jpg

No felt to rip and ball shaped. I have seen some really determined dogs be able to rip them apart though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

False alarm?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 11, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

As someone who went through the process of raising a puppy as a single person working full-time I hope you are prepared to take on what is basically another part-to-full time job depending on the breed, for up to a year and a half.

4 hours should be fine though assuming you don't get a small dog (small bladders).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

She wants something cute and you want energetic? A Corgi maybe?

Also most labs I know can be pretty lazy if they get their daily run/fetch game in for the day.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 7, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My 8 week old collie mix puppy just cost me $100.

She was sitting on the couch, on a leash, and the door rang.

She fell off the couch, screamed and rolled like a Mexican soccer player, and refused to walk or stand.

We took her to the emergency vet at like 10pm, got to see the vet around midnight. She uncharacteristically calm and collected. I figured she had hurt herself and was bracing myself for a dislocated shoulder or something.

The pup was put on the floor after 3 hours of waiting and limped a bit. The doc said to walk it off and showed us the door.

Doggo is A-Ok and scared the poo poo out of me. We'd only had her for 3 days at the time.

I'm glad she's ok, but I feel this is the tip of the idiot dog injury iceberg.

A lot of puppies are absolute drama queens. Though I guess when you've been alive for less than a month, any sort of pain or discomfort could literally be the worst thing they've ever experienced in their lives.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HungryMedusa posted:

My puppy is a cute devil and I am mostly enjoying her. She listens pretty well, but I need to have treats available on me more often so I can distract her from say, someone walking by my yard or a spot that looks like a good digging opportunity.

Two problems - one treats are gross. Two, she knows when I have treats and acts like a little angel, sitting, laying down and looking at me with her cutest look. She can smell if I have them in a pocket of any kind. Any tips on keeping stealth treats on one's person? Do those cheesy treat sacks you put on a belt have an anti-smell component? Am I doomed to smell like freeze dried goat forever?

Just get one of those small 2x3 or 2x4 ziplock bags to keep treats in. Something like this is what I used to keep my treats in:
https://www.amazon.com/Beadaholique...KFB9FG9HBCAQ801

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

StrixNebulosa posted:

My concern with that is that I hear it's not great for the dog's teeth - i.e. it'll wear them down.

Even tennis balls can do that. Just don't overdo it. One antler every other year isn't going to destroy all their teeth.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

boop the snoot posted:

how often should i bathe my dog? someone told me he only needs it if he smells bad or gets into something, but that would mean i would bathe him like... twice a year. and that seems too few and far between.

If you don't really care about minimizing 'that dog smell' in and around your house/car/possessions then that sounds about right. I bathe my dog maybe a dozen times a year, and that's only because it gets really muddy here around spring time. So it's not even a full on bath with dog shampoo, just a rinse down.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We're looking to adopt a puppy, but I'm not sure how to deal with the weather. My wife stays home, we have three pet-loving kids, so the puppy will get plenty of training and attention. However, I can't imagine the puppy will want to go out in 0 degree weather for potty training.

Should we try for garage training using a grass pad? Is this just going to confuse the puppy and we should wait for spring?

Anybody else have tips for adopting winter puppies born in November?

Your puppy will be fine to go outside in short bursts. Dogs have a higher body temp than humans do.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Winter Rose posted:

We are making a cross-country move (edit: in the US) in a few weeks and of course are bringing our 30 lbs mutt with us. Driving is not an option for various reasons. Any suggestions for flying a dog cross country?

Specifically, this dog:

Unless you want to buy your dog an actual seat on the airplane I can't imagine how flying is a better option in anyway. There are many horror stories of how dogs are treated/neglected. They are treated as cargo.

Maybe see if you can take a train?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GoodBee posted:

Hiking with dogs: I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat.

I read some advice somewhere that you should have a max of two dogs in your hiking party. This hasn't been a problem in the past. I've either done trails with 3+ people/2 or less dogs, or just me and max two dogs.

Should I stick to plans with a max of two dogs or is there a polite ratio for bringing more than two dogs?

That is a really weird rule I've never heard of.

As long as you can reasonably keep them safe and in control, and they aren't bothering people (chasing joggers, begging for food etc) I don't see the problem.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CJ posted:

So my sister's puppy is 11 weeks now. Yesterday she was being looked after by my mum who is also looking after my cousin's dog. She decided it would be a great idea to put them in the kitchen while she went outside and the dog bit the puppy, i think on the muzzle. I went to see it this morning and it just sits behind the sofa whimpering. I couldn't even get her to do commands for a treats or play with her toys or anything. I'm pretty pissed that she left them in the same room unattended when the dog is known to not be particularly friendly with other dogs. I'm worried that the puppy is going to be scared of other dogs now.

Just keep socializing the puppy, obviously preferably with dogs you know to be friendly and/or the same age. They'll quickly pick up that was just a bad experience with one dog and not every dog is a threat to life or whatever. Don't pick up them up if they act scared when there's no threat.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Feeding my dog right before bed usually knocks him right out. But he's not a puppy with a tiny puppy stomach so ymmv

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BraveUlysses posted:

you may need to consider making your bed a no dog zone

This. My puppy was not allowed on my bed for the first year. Too untrustworthy. There's plenty of time for bed cuddling when he's a year+ old and has his bladder under better control.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That's one of the advantages of medium-large dogs. My 95 'lbs guy hoovered up a raisin or two before we even realized he was in the room and he was fine.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Bananana posted:

I need help with the biting too.

The yelp thing doesn't work, and ignoring her doesn't work, as she just runs of to start biting on something else.

Recomendations for 9 week old lab pup?

I know lab pups have a reputation for bwing especially mouthy

We just want to get to bite inhibition, without poisoning the crate, as the OP states.

Re direction. Shove a toy in their mouth when they get bitey. A reassuring 'yes' or 'good' when they redirect that biting that energy to the toy rather than you

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Brushing the dog everyday (preferably outside) does help a lot but you will still find hair in random places, just less of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ANy tips on training a puppy not to nip at clothes / hands? We've tried a lot of re-directing and have resorted to negative reinforcement (NO! etc) but the problem is whatever we do he thinks it's part of a game.

What are you re-directing with? Maybe try a more interesting toy. But If re-direct is not working then move away/separate yourself from him. If he follows, you may need to place him behind a baby gate or have him leashed and walk away to show him that biting means the end of playtime.