Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What are people's experiences with dog weight limits in property rentals? We're looking for a new place and when you combine the need for real AC, a washer dryer, and dogs allowed there's not much in the 'up to about $2,000' range here. I can understand it, but the 'we allow small dogs' thing seems a bit daft from a damage point of view as they can be little shits as we all know.

25lbs seems to be the limit I see thrown around a lot, but we're basset hound people and you can only get half a hound for that amount. We're not looking to adopt until about 6 months in, so will be keeping an eye on the proposed community until then. I saw a beagle going around today and Google tells me they're about at the limit. Most people seem to think bassets are beagles anyway, so maybe nobody will notice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the replies, it's pretty much what I imagined but a realtor gave me a bit of a scare when I asked about strictness and he indicated that it could be an issue. The last thing we'd want to do is adopt just for the poor thing to have to go back. Sadly the place that's now top of our list is absolutely cat only, and I don't think there's much of a way to disguise a basset as one... but you never know, the place might be a lot laxer in real life compared to contract.

Good to see there are other basset people here too. Between my wife's parents (where we are living at the moment) and her sisters family around the corner there are 6 hounds in total. They're a very fun breed, and I agree that I can't see how anyone would take an issue. There's always that one rear end in a top hat neighbor who could make life hell, but you can get that anywhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t know if this is the right thread, I just need to vent. My poor doggy who we’ve only had for 6 months collapsed tonight. She’s 10 and we rescued her knowing she had anal cancer, but they gave her a good prognosis and her checkup only 3 days ago was positive in a good way. We had a party tonight and she loved all the attention she got, because she’s the most diva hound there is. But when she came out back with us, her back legs just gave way. It could just be a bad night but oh god I’ve seen this before and I just can’t stop crying. I hope she’s just loving with me because I’m in such a mess :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seems like it’s a disc problem, common enough with the breed that the emergency vet knew what was up and gave her some injections and some pills and thinks she’ll be ok after that and rest. She’s doing good given the circs. She’s still going to break my heart one day, but at least it feels like that day is further out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just a vent more than anything... we did an emergency homing for a basset hound yesterday, coming out of a kill shelter in Miami after being confiscated (sadly I don't know any information wrt that side, but I hope there were no other dogs and there's prosecution). Poor thing was listed as being 12 and you could see in the photo they provided he was malnurished, but we get him and he has multiple tumors and one of them probably weighs more than the rest of him combined. He's probably younger than 10 too, I can't believe this animal is still so kind tempered and gentle after what he's been through. I just can't understand how people let this happen, and so glad we've hopefully got him in time. Poor thing hasn't made a single noise since he came in, just looks at you with kind eyes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah, I think we talked about them before? It's often the way with rescues, always drama and craziness going down! Aw those two look a good pair, always so cute.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome! Yeah I'm hoping to get some photos of this little guy before he moves to his foster on Saturday but I'm not around much during the lighted hours. He is very sweet looking so hoping to capture that, as well as then show just how bad a state he was in. None of the photos taken so far really show that, and people need to see what this poor guy has been through.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aw, that guy is adorable in his little snow getup. I'm hoping the guy who gets this one on the weekend is aware of the full situation, and goes on to adopt him down the line. I know donations have been coming in for the vets bills which is great, lots of outpouring so my view on humanity isn't completely soured this week at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So my poor doggy has had an ear infection that hasn't cleared up over 5 months with a bunch of vet visits, steroids, various medications, ear drops, cleaner etc so they want to take it a stage further. They said they didn't want to go the full length method of removing the ear canal (which my mother in law had done to one of hers, said it was expensive, and made no difference) but instead will have to rupture her eardrum and do a full deep clean they couldn't do while she's sedated.

I want to go ahead with this, but just curious if anyone else had dealt with it before. They seemed to think it was pretty routine, but everyone I mention it to thinks it's going to make her deaf in one ear so now I'm a little worried. What kind of recovery time did you have, did it do the trick etc? She's a basset hound, so has big silly floppy ears and I really want this to be resolved for her as she's had such a bad time of it all summer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

IIRC you're in a Floridian hellhole, but one of my bassets just has seasonal issues with allergies, basically from July - Oct. If the symptoms are being treated enough that it isn't a discomfort of life imo see if it's a summer thing and be proactive next year come spring.

Bassets are deaf anyway when sniffing so eh to that concern.

Yeah Floridian, sadly they don't think it's allergies but a super aggressive infection. We've done cultures and adjusted based on that but if I don't clean her ears every day I just get an explosion of nastiness to deal with. Sadly I'd say it has crossed into discomfort of life, she wakes up in the middle of the night and is obviously agitated and shaking her head for 30-60 minutes at a time.

And yeah, 'selective hearing' is definitely a hound trait. I'm not even convinced the snoot works that well, the amount of times I throw a snack near her and she struggles to find it is hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So my dog is on another course of meds including family favorite, prednisone. Everyone whose had to administer this before will automatically have sympathy for me, as I come home to a forest of piss every night for the next 2-3 weeks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that Petland the chain or just somewhere with a similar name? If it’s the chain, then avoid avoid avoid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Check out this gently used Alsatian. One previous owner, old lady only took it to church on Sundays.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My family generally adopts seniors, and they're wonderful. You're doing a good thing, as they often get overlooked. One benefit to a senior dog is, from my experience at least, is often they've been a family dog for 8-10 years and circumstances are what's changed. They're not abandoned or sent to the pound because of behavior issues, but because of a divorce, an owner death, or children coming into the mix a lot of the time. Obviously the older ones are likely to start getting health issues, but if you talk with a rescue you can often 'foster to adopt' where their medical bills will be taken care of and you'll have first option to adopt if other people become interested.

Puppies are great for other people to own, and you to just hang around with when it suits you to coo over them. I love the slower pace of an older beast who just wants to hang around and sleep near me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But more importantly, we need to see the dog! You can't humblebrag about how awesome your dog is and then not provide pictures!

He linked to a photo in the post. Good dog confirmed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My mother in laws got diagnosed with Cushings aged around 10. That was 2 years ago and the medication pretty much normalized him straight away.

My dog got out of surgery earlier and she’s such a drooling confused mess. Also I’m sure the people waiting at the vets had a good laugh at me trying to carry a 70 pound basset hound to the car.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

She seems more back to herself but yeah, still absolutely flat out asleep. Needs to eat!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha I had a weekend with so many options of things to do, and excitement to do some... then emergency hound spring from the shelter. So I get to hang at home with a sweet boy (and my best girl when she comes home from vet tomorrow).

Currently known as Droopy (previously Tails, as was in shelter, then adopted, then returned a day later and for some reason they used the name the dummy who didn’t want him picked? Who knows), he’s probably about 1yo and very sweet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I didn’t have a dog, it would be a possibility as he’s a very sweet thing, and he’ll fill out and be a handsome boy for sure. But my Emmy Lou is 12 now, lives at a way slower pace than this guy, and definitely likes being the only dog of the house. So I just help out when I can to get dogs out of bad situations, while the rescue finds them a perfect forever home.

Hope this guy stays locally, the rescue is based more north in the state so I don’t really get to see the ones that pass through that often. Lots of hound people in South Florida who would love this guy I’m sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dogs can have some scary reactions to things, but it's most likely fine. The anti flea stuff the vet gave my dog produced bloody diarrhea and vomit for a day or two, which is not what you want to see (and annoyingly was a bit blase about the whole thing when we brought her back in. I use the collars now.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If they try to put him in the overhead compartment, politely decline.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had to take my dog to be put down back in 2011, and it was the first time as an adult I had to take on this duty rather than a parent going to the vet and coming home alone. So that was, naturally, loving horrible especially as I just thought he was a bit poorly.

Feeling like garbage, I put the TV on to cheer myself up and loaded up Patrice O'Neal's new standup show where he goes into a bit that lasts a good 5 minutes or so about dogs being killed. Only Patrice could have made me laugh at those jokes on that day, that loving sucked timing wise though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MF_James posted:

Our vet said a good rule of thumb is that your pup is going to be able to hold their pee for an hour for every month of life, I assume there's an upward bound there somewhere obviously but holds fairly true for the first 6-9 months.

Can confirm doesn’t hold true at 12 years. Snooter kisses are applied when I’m out of the house longer than usual and there’s no accidents, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My dog is at the groomers while i clean the house, and I’m thinking of buying this to keep it clean for longer.

Makes her quieter too, and no more midnight puddles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whatever it is that tells dogs that pooping blood at 2am in a Sunday morning during a crisis is the best thing to do, I wish it would stop. I swear the ratio of ‘emergency sickness happens outside sane hours’ to within must be 10:1. Goodbye trump bucks and tax return, just make sure my pup gets better please. I can’t deal with not having that stinky beast around.

E: it was too late.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 29, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well you can’t post that then not show the dog off!

As per my post a few days ago, I lost my sweet hound on Sunday morning. Friends and family talked amongst themselves and basically concluded that I need a companion still, as long as I felt ready, so encouraged me to pick up lovely Hector. I held him as a temporary foster about 6 months ago, but he wasn’t able to get a forever home as he can’t settle down with other dogs. When he left my place, the blanket he flew in with (he came in from Colombia) was left behind by mistake, so he’s been reunited with that. He’s a very sweet boy and is making it easier to deal with everything right now. Still extremely sad and grieving poor Emmy, but the house doesn’t feel so empty.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Bananana posted:

Apologies for the glamour shot. Can't pick her up for 2 more weeks, so for bow, this is all i have of her.

Adorable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Joburg posted:

Sorry about Emmy :(
Hector looks super happy, I’m glad he gets to be with you again!

Thanks both. That dog was a rock for me in the year since my wife passed, so I took it super heavy. My brain is kept busy now at least, and Hector is a very sweet boy who deserves some love.

Except for the bit today where he kicked my laptop off the table, but eh I need a new one anyway. He’s just helping!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thundershirt owners - have you ever had an issue leaving the shirt on for too long? My boy has major storm and separation anxiety so after 8 days of terrible weather his arrived... and now we're not experiencing storms of course. But he's taken to it really nicely, rides in the car better and was way more relaxed when I had the audacity to leave him alone at home for 10 minutes yesterday. So I'd rather him wear it as much as possible if he makes him comfortable and happy, but I don't want to reduce it's effects if that's something that can occur? I know you're supposed to give him some breaks from it during the day, is that enough?

Also he looks very smart in it, which is never a bad thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouch, hadn't thought about the velcro. I'll definitely double check I've got it right each time, good catch!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok which one of you jokers took my dogs head

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's been a whirlwind, but I'm really having a difficult time living alone with nothing else breathing in the house.

I have a supportive family that can assist, and I just need a best friend again.

I feel ya. Lost my girl right at the beginning of this virus poo poo and she was all I had here and kept me going after the worst year of my life. Everything just looked and felt so bleak being alone. I’m glad friends and family encouraged me to bring home a foster I’d looked after as an emergency last year. Poor dude has had like 7 owners in his 3 years, but hopefully now nothing but stability for both of us.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use a hammock, seems to work decently enough. Still hair gets everywhere mind, but it's the protection from him slipping into the footwells that's the most important thing.

Doesn't stop him climbing into the front seats when I have to leave him for a few minutes though!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tranten posted:

My puppy is possessed.

Ah the third eyelid thing, my boy sleeps like that too. It’s unsettling to turn around and see him staring at me while snoring away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My dog used to be content with sitting the in the back seat if I need to pop into somewhere on the way home from work, but has been getting ideas above his station recently. First it was using it as an opportunity to sneak into the drivers seat, faster and faster each time, but today he really took it to a new level when I came out of the pizza place to see his grinning face sat there, bouncing up and down on the car horn.

Killed me I was carrying stuff and couldn’t whip my phone out in time to get it on video, but gave everyone around us a good laugh at least. I get the feeling this is not going to be the last time I see this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mozi posted:

Might want to keep a harness on him and use one of the seatbelt attachments to keep him in the back? Safer for the dog while driving in any case.

He doesn’t do it when the car is in motion at least, I have a hammock in the back for him to keep him safe when we drive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s something I need to work on with my boy too. I’m hoping he’ll grow out of it, but he hates being away from me (unless it’s his choice to go into a different room and sleep). He gets so worked up if I have to go to the store or something, it’s so lucky that I’ve taken him into work from day 1 and he’s become a fixture of the office now. I can’t blame him, he’s just over 3 years old and I’m his 7th owner. I took him to the groomers and he probably thought it was going to a shelter due to the dogs in crates and he was utterly heartbroken and crying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aw I had a dog who was scared of her farts and would run away. Current one seems to let off silently and I am not a fan. Not a fan.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugh my boy twice refused to go out the back and pee this morning, and then decided to pee all over my stuff in the lounge because he couldn't hold it any longer presumably. Back yard isn't good enough to pee in, he wants to go out front and let the whole neighborhood know he's boss. I always take him to work but as punishment have left him behind today, and he knew that he did bad as he didn't fight this decision much, but it's not fun seeing him now worked up on the camera feed while I'm here. Also I'm now likely to come home to more pee and probably poop in the house so I'm not sure how effective this will even be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It can be overwhelming for sure, I had a foster in for a week who came from a shelter so naturally pissed and poo poo everywhere constantly, and also had kennel cough so I had to hold my own dog at the vets for the time he was here. I spent the weekend after he left cleaning the house and being proud of getting the place looking nice, just to get a call that another dog needed picking up from the pound. This guy was incontinent and smelled so bad I had to open every window in the car coming home and it just broke me. I can only imagine how hard it is right now when we have to keep our usual support networks at distance, I hope it works out for you.