Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

I've been waiting for an another decent turn-based RPG for years. Please make this happen. :ohdear:

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Smol posted:

Reminder for the new page that Europeans (rather, any non-US people) have to add an extra $15 for shipping, in case you want the big box.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Saoshyant posted:

Reminder for the new page that Europeans (rather, any non-US people) have to add an extra $15 for shipping, in case you want the big box.

Make it $65 then. :colbert:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I never played Wasteland, only Fallout 1 and 2, and honestly I don't know how much this would appeal to me compared to those games, but I put in fifteen bucks because I think it'd be loving cool to have a sequel to a game from that time period that is actually being handled the way its original creator wants it to be. I really hope it makes it!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pledged $65 (15 for shipping) :toot:

Look at that loving ticker go, over 150k already and at like $58 average per person.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I never played Wasteland or Fallout, I feel like games have gotten too objectively better as a whole to really appreciate them at this point.

I kicked in, though, cause I really hope the idea of AAA-production for more complex genres catches on. :unsmith:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

sockpuppetclock posted:

I never played Wasteland or Fallout, I feel like games have gotten too objectively better as a whole to really appreciate them at this point.

Probably true of Wasteland, it hasn't aged all that well but to be fair that's true of all RPG's from the 80's. This isn't true of Fallout 1 and 2 at all though, the last 15 years haven't been very kind to the RPG genre and they're still great today.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Never got a chance to play Wasteland or Fallout 1 but I loved 2 enough. Donated $100 because I love me some swag.

Also has anyone pointed out somebody already has one of the $5000 pledges claimed? That was loving fast.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Never got a chance to play Wasteland or Fallout 1 but I loved 2 enough. Donated $100 because I love me some swag.

Also has anyone pointed out somebody already has one of the $5000 pledges claimed? That was loving fast.

Sixteen $1000 too so far. A bit more than my sorry $15.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
In for $50. This model of cutting out the middlemen is great. I'm so much happier pre-ordering my game knowing that the money is going to the makers of the game instead of the publisher & Gamestop.

If you're buying this an haven't played the original, there's nothing stopping you. I've found it on abandonware sites several times and it's always run great on winXP. Make sure that you get the manual and paragraph book, as they are important.

I'm certain that you'll enjoy the sequel more having played the original.

Buy a geiger counter.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I cannot believe this kickstarter for this random obscure rear end game from a million years ago is actually getting any money. I seriously thought it would get like 10k and this thread would be full of people bemoaning how it needs to be made.

Like I dunno. I couldn't care less about wasteland or whatever, I'm just baffled that this is actually working right now. Especially coming off the Tim Schafer 3 mil. extravaganza.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Cool story, thanks for sharing it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

YOURFRIEND posted:

I cannot believe this kickstarter for this random obscure rear end game from a million years ago is actually getting any money. I seriously thought it would get like 10k and this thread would be full of people bemoaning how it needs to be made.

Like I dunno. I couldn't care less about wasteland or whatever, I'm just baffled that this is actually working right now. Especially coming off the Tim Schafer 3 mil. extravaganza.

So you came in the thread to laugh at the people moaning that it isn't getting made?

I'm trying to decide between the $15 or the $65. The $15 shipping is fair enough, but $65 is a bit much right now.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

YOURFRIEND posted:

I am not overly surprised by the progress so far, however I am still about 60% sure it will pitter out short of the goal*. Think about what it has going for it though: niche market with TONS of nostalgia, pedigree of the people who made the games that inspire such rabid nostalgia, and decent donation tiers.

I never expected (no one did) the double fine ridiculousness...but basically that had the exact same factors playing into it (+ shorter dev cycle, + easier more accessible genre).

On some level it makes a lot of sense it would start this well. If it will keep going to completion is an entirely different question.

*Oh god I hope it doesn't. I think I just don't want to get my hopes up TOO far :)

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

So you came in the thread to laugh at the people moaning that it isn't getting made?

I'm trying to decide between the $15 or the $65. The $15 shipping is fair enough, but $65 is a bit much right now.

You have 34 days. Save up some here and there and then on the last day spend that money, son.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I never played Wasteland, but I sincerely hope this gets funded. I'm wishing that enough game developers will go indie or subvert big name publishers in some way to get good games out to the people who want them. It probably won't happen for a while, if at all, but I think what Tim Schafer has done and hopefully what Brian Fargo will do will prove it can be done and start a trend.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I was supposed to use the $100 to sign up for a gym, but 1988 classics don't get remade every day. Plus the swag:]

jvempire
May 10, 2009

YOURFRIEND posted:

It's not entirely because of Wasteland itself, but there's a lot of big (or in the sense of western rpg's big) name attached to this. Essentially it's almost like funding a new Interplay game.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011
Look who threw their hat in:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

PayingForTheView posted:

I'd bet money he is the 10k donation that came in :)

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YOURFRIEND posted:

The number of people who play video games is ridiculous. The vast majority of PC gamers have access to the internet and have disposable income. Most popular PC games cost more than these Kickstarter things. Put that together with nostalgia and word of mouth and do the math.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It is a bit ambitious, but it makes sense given the type of game they wanted to make. Tim Schafer wanted $400,000 to make a barebones classic adventure game with no voice acting. He got $3,000,000 in the end, but I would imagine that if $400k got you a basic adventure game, you'd need a good deal more to make a robust RPG.

It's reasonable given the scope of his project, and I hope it's realistic given the audience because I really want to see how this turns out.

The 900k limit is ballsy, but it's also really smart. It's not a million dollars, and that 100,000 difference is the producer saying "I'm putting 100,000 into this", which shows that they are really committed to this game. It's part of why I put my 15 into this, because I'm either going to get a million dollars worth of game in about two years or not get charged at all.

Kickstarter projects usually go one of two ways: barely any contributions or completely funded. Kickstarter projects are also not usually this huge. If anything, this project will test the limits of the KS.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I'm confused. I pledged a $100, but only now noticed the extra $15 requirement for foreign shipping. If I change my pledge to $115 now through the manage my pledge button, will I be charged the whole $115 on top of my first $100, or is it smart and will just charge me an extra $15?

e: I have no idea how kickstarter works, when will I be charged? I just want them to have a $100 ($115) of my moneys!

e2: nevermind, figured it out. Wasteland 2! :woop:

Mecharasputin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PayingForTheView posted:

I completely humbly and unironically love Notch for this. Thank you, Notch.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
I just threw another $115 in.

The project is already over 20% funded, this is certainly going great so far!

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Chas McGill posted:

Well no. I can do that silently. I came into the thread to express surprise that it's doing so well. I thought the community of people willing to finance games via kickstarter would need a while before putting money into another game.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well no. I can do that silently. I came into the thread to express surprise that it's doing so well. I thought the community of people willing to finance games via kickstarter would need a while before putting money into another game.

There isn't necessarily an overlap in the people who wanted a new Tim Schafer adventure and people who wanted a new Wasteland, plus it's not really that much money unless you're going into the higher tiers.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

YOURFRIEND posted:

I thought the community of people willing to finance games via kickstarter would need a while before putting money into another game.

I didn't want to contribute to the Tim Shafer game because I wasn't all that keen on a point'n'click adventure game. This however, I am definitely interested in. It's not just one pool of potential donors we're talking about.

edit:

Crossed the $200k mark:

Bart Fargo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 13, 2012

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YOURFRIEND posted:

Bah, skip one year's worth of CoD + DLC and you can give $15 to nine Kickstarter projects.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Here comes 200k!

Aww, it passed 200 while this was posting.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

YOURFRIEND posted:

That's partially because it's not quite as random and obscure a game as you might think!

Wasteland actually IS a pivotal and classic RPG that had a big influence on the industry. Actually, legitimately IS. You might not have heard of it or care about it, but there is a whole generation of slightly older gamers who do remember it or did play it.

Add to that the fact that Fallout 1 was actually a slightly rebranded Wasteland 2.

Now, it helps that it's being sold as a rebirth of old-school RPGs, but it wouldn't be having as much success if Fargo was trying to do Dragon Wars 2 or something. Wasteland is an actual classic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nice. This project will be getting another $100 when I get home tonight.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

YOURFRIEND posted:

The overlap there is no different than the overlap between people pre-ordering the various games they're interested in.

I don't think anyone has a special pool for Kickstarter money, they just treat this like pre-ordering Wasteland 2 - and if it doesn't make the funding goal, they get their pre-order money back.

(there is some risk of a project being funded and then still not paying out, but in theory, that risk is minimal / you probably wouldn't throw money at a total unknown likely to fail in the first place)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm going to donate to this, but I really don't like how the pitch is focusing on REAL MORAL CHOICES WITH CONSEQUENCES as an feature. I know what they mean, and the classic CRPG version of moral choices are interesting, but all I can imagine is the loving awful trend in the last 10 years or so of dumb light side/dark side moral treadmills that never have real consequences and just serve to muddy the game experience.

On a less bitter note, I'm happy at how well this is doing so far. It went up like 40k in the time since I started reading this thread!

Also all you weirdoes waiting to see if it makes its goal before donating don't understand how Kickstarter works.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Quarex should get back and update the OP with the kickstarter page. It's cool this is getting a lot of attention (and it's cool the mods stickied it :) ). I'm really excited that this may actually come together.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Just pledged $65 for the boxed version. I am really surprised (in a good way) that this has already reached 200k.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I have a separate Kickstarter pool, but then again I'm a practitioner of ironic hipster budgeting. You should see. But I see what he's saying, though. People are tired as hell of someone coming out with a new indie gaming bundle. But this is, what, like the second Kickstarter project aimed at fans of niche, forgotten by the mainstream PC games?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Even if I didn't already love Wasteland and Fallout 1+2, I'd jump all over this, simply because I hope developers see it and are inspired to make more games in genres the big publishers have abandoned or are afraid to mess with.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'm going to donate to this, but I really don't like how the pitch is focusing on REAL MORAL CHOICES WITH CONSEQUENCES as an feature. I know what they mean, and the classic CRPG version of moral choices are interesting, but all I can imagine is the loving awful trend in the last 10 years or so of dumb light side/dark side moral treadmills that never have real consequences and just serve to muddy the game experience.

On a less bitter note, I'm happy at how well this is doing so far. It went up like 40k in the time since I started reading this thread!

Also all you weirdoes waiting to see if it makes its goal before donating don't understand how Kickstarter works.

The guy who is writing those real moral choices is the same person who wrote Arcanum and Vampires Bloodlines, two games with some pretty decent moral choices.

Going to guess it'll be better then kill bandits/kill village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

The original Wasteland from 1988 was a sandbox with moral dilemmas and hard choices, this 'direction' for the Wasteland series far, far predates all the modern stuff you're thinking of.

• Locked thread