Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ChiTownEddie posted:

Everyone that likes cRPGs should be tossing at least 15$ at this!
But yeah I'm in for 100$, please let this happen.

I wonder if we could get some official SA support for this project, even if it's just a sticky'd thread? Tim Schafer is great, but this is the kickstarter project I'm REALLY interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PayingForTheView posted:

Look who threw their hat in:

I completely humbly and unironically love Notch for this. Thank you, Notch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

Also thanks to whoever stickied the thread. This confirms my suspicion that the lack of a Wasteland 2 Kickstarter thread here would have been a tragedy!

I hear Shalinor's a big Wasteland fan ;)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Wait until Chris Avellone and Obsidian throw their hat in the ring. :stare:

I'm sure ropekid/JE Sawyer will see this. Perhaps we should make a cross-post in the Fallout: New Vegas thread(s)? He reads those, as do many, many other people who might want to check this out.

Though, admittedly, those people are probably already here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sorry if I missed it, but did they say that they were going to leave out fully-voiced NPCs just so that they could get more dynamic dialogue in there? Am I thinking of the right thing, or was that someone from Obsidian?

EDIT: Either way, I totally support that thought.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

I am merging two of your posts Rupert:

Firstly, I would love to post about it in every thread everywhere, but I have this vague idea in the back of my mind that you are not supposed to promote your own threads in other threads. If other people linked to this thread in Fallout threads, though, well, that would certainly seem legitimate!

Also, you are correct--Brian Fargo mentioned that in his Rock-Paper-Shotgun interview, that part of the depth of earlier CRPGs was lost when everything went fully voiced, as the logistics of any given split in the storyline suddenly required a lot more money and work than when it was all text.

Edit: $250,000 :toot:

I actually just posted in the New Vegas console thread. I know the PC thread gets way more attention, but I've never posted in there, and I know for a fact that ropekid reads the console one.

Also, I really do hope they go for text over voice, since then I can call my characters horrible, horrible things, and have the NPCs do it, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Isn't Fargo hugely wealthy from the Interplay acquisition?

This'd be probably why he's willing to donate the last $100,000 to the project.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I hate Hate HATE this! I can never understand why this is an issue. I don't think it's a programming thing, where sound files can't load fast enough or play so close together that someone can interupt another without the pause being there. If an action game can play bullet or explosion sound effects instantly when needed, why can't they butt up two sound files together so that it sounds like a proper interuption.

Even if it was a programming issue, take those two disparate sound files and mix them into one sound file so that someone can talk over another without that annoying pause in there.

I guarantee you that, with the audio engines of today (Wwise, FMOD, Miles, etc...) it's entirely possible to properly handle this stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'll be pledging as soon as I can, but for now, I have a 17 hour busride ahead of me, and a laptop with Boxer (mac) and the original Wasteland.

Yeah buddy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Help me, goons. I'm playing Wasteland (PC version, using Boxer for Mac)... how do I restart the game? I pretty much didn't know what I was doing at first, and want to start again from the beginning but no dice... I quit (with or without saving, doesn't matter) and when I boot it back up again, I'm where I last saved.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RagingBoner posted:

... and 90% of the time I play with the volume turned down any way.

As a sound designer, you make me sad. Then again, VO aside, if the sound in a game is good, the player doesn't want it off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really, honestly wonder how much of the money raised came from SA. I love and hate statistics; love seeing them (the more in-depth, the better), but I hate it when I want a stat for something that is more-or-less undocumented.

For example, I'd love to know how many times I've died in the Fallout series of games. Bums me out that I'll never have a number.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

Thanks, CrookedB, for SHOWING HOW IT IS!!!

I am right there with you. Though following this line of reasoning too far probably takes you to madness; Stephen Wolfram wrote an article for Wired about "personal statistics" where he ran a bunch of analyses on tangible things from his life, like every e-mail he had ever sent (he had archives going back ~30 years), every piece of paper created for his work (he had OCR scanned documents going back even farther than e-mail) ... and ... yes. I realize this is not quite "how many times I have died in Fallout," but still. There are undoubtedly some things humanity was not meant to know.

I know I used a fallout stat as an example, but what I was really getting at was this, exactly.

I wanna know how many dumps I've taken, how many times I've sneezed, or how much of a distance I've walked/driven (either/or). I'm not obsessed with this, however, since yes, it would be maddening.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was going to chime in with 'Come on now, how do you rip off a drone', but then I heard Rinkles' comparison, and wow, that's crazy.

Wasteland 2 should be scored by Vangelis.

EDIT: If that happens, two of my party members will be 'Jon' and 'Mr Cairo'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Going back to the Matthew Perry in New Vegas chat, I would take an experienced voice actor over a hollywood name any day.

Possible exception: Chris Walken in True Crime, Trejo in NV, boss.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

What about Martin Sheen, Claudia Black, Lance Henriksen, Tricia Helfer and Seth Green in Mass Effect?

What I am saying is that a I disagree. Normal actors can do an outstanding VO job too.

Alright, fair enough, these are some pretty good examples of excellent hollywood VO talent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

If they reach $2.1 million.

I have yet to pledge, so it could happen!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pledged $65! Can't wait to play this fuckin' game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Alpha Protocol was one of the best written games in recent years. The amount of characterization in that game is incredible, and you can miss a lot of it depending on your choices. One of the characters in that game hosed around with the player so well that most people didn't even realize they were being played. That's how good the writing was.

Who are we talking about here, Leland? Marburgh? Explain not just who but how. I've only done one playthrough so far.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Scarlet, the reporter, isn't actually all she appears to be, and far from being the typical RPG female is actually the one playing Thorton

Ah, right, I remember that twist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In regards to Quarex's excitement, I don't see it as odd whatsoever (and yes, I realize none of you do either). I'd have to say that if Nintendo said 'Remember Mario 3? The next Mario game will be more of that. Just more 2D side-scrolling/frog-hopping/Tanooki-statuing/hammer-throwing/whistle-blowing/sun-fearing/airship-riding/world-beating/secret-finding/chainchomp-avoiding/koopakid-pouncing goodness, I'd end up a forums superstar from that one thread. SMB3 is, simply put, my favourite loving game of all-time.

Keep on keepin' on, Quarex. And, when this DOES come out, you'd better get honourary first-dibs on a Let's Play of it.

I can think of no one more suited.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RagingBoner posted:

No gently caress you I take my NES to bars and play SMB3 on their corner TV's with my friends... Not kidding. SMB3 is MY game.

Guess we'll have to battle this out in a no-holds-barred SMB3 versus match :clint:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RagingBoner posted:

How would this be decided? Sure, you can whistle your way to the end and be done in 20 minutes, but my favorite parts of the game are getting all the little secret things in the stages, like this junk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0pWoqtqm4&feature=related

The winner should be whoever has the best time, and it will most likely be a tie. :)

Well, that's what I meant by VS match... the multiplayer part. Tsk tsk.

Also, that video is bullshit (though I'm not finished, nor have I watched the first part). The second 'secret' was 'goombah's shoe', which is actually known as Kuribo's Shoe, and is kind of right there in the open, not a secret at all.

:goonsay: about mario 3.

The video can only redeem itself if it shows off the chain chomp getting free :smug:

EDIT: After watching the first video, I sort of take this back... I wasn't aware of every one of those 'Collect ## of coins for the white mushroom house', I thought those levels were more like 'collect all coins', as they usually were the auto-scrolling ones.

Also, loving gently caress, that World 4-5 beanstalk to the tanooki suit. Had no clue.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 5, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex, I had never even played Wasteland before this (heard of it, and played a poo poo-ton of F1/F2, though), but goddamnit, your enthusiasm hit me so hard that I fired it up during my 17-hour trainride last month.

THANK YOU.

EDIT: I knew I loved it when I had the option to use an item, skill, or ATTRIBUTE to rip a door apart. Wow.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 6, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regarding the LP, isn't this the same guy who we posted about earlier and all hated? I don't know, I didn't mind him, though I find it odd that he's awesome now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex needs blood sausage pom-poms.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

glug posted:

None of us even know what it is like outside of SA, or outside for that matter, so you won't get a good response to that.

Reading up on it even on the F:NV wiki, they don't even have an explanation for it. We could fix that, you know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, very weird, I swear the last time I was on the wiki, it didn't mention one thing about ZC.

EDIT: vvv I remember checking it farther back than that. I've had no reason to go back until now, so that makes sense. I do, very clearly, remember reading it all and thinking 'Wow, that's... just more confusing to anyone who doesn't know.'

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 11, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TerryLennox posted:

What I do like is that people in this thread have conducted discussions in a very polite and educated manner. I congratulate all of you. :tipshat:

It's times like this where I appreciate that it costs more money to post like a complete moron here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

doomfunk posted:

I am pleased to know others remain as correct as I am. Ace Creamcone may be top-shelf sleuth, but that shelf is still outside in 90+ degree heat.

All the more reason to vote for him! Where's your sense of adventure?

My picks:

Ninjentleman
Dappertron
Human Folly
Ace Creamcone

I was tempted to pick one of the serial killers, just to have the weirdest situational comedy possible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^^ Same with mine, but I don't care. There are few 'Ruperts' and even fewer 'Buttermilks' on SA for me to be bothered by it.

Found my name, ordered 2 from that site, and emailed RB.

Friends, it has been a busy day!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It feels a bit wrong to be closer to the centre of the star than Quarex is :ohdear:

That said... don't move me, please!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TerryLennox posted:

You only need to ask :keke: http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

That is a revised version of JE Sawyer's Fallout PnP system.

Now, I'll elaborate a bit about Van Buren.
:words:
Its a drat shame the game never saw the light of day.

You know, I never really read about Van Buren before this, but this all sounds so :allears:

poo poo, I wish they had made something like this (New Vegas notwithstanding, though I do love it). Hey Bethesda, there's still time!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I gotta play through NV again. This thread, man...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

Though New World Blues may have actually had even more frequent things-busting-out-of-nowhere; who else remembers killing about 5,000 lobotomites in the course of finishing it?

Quarex... it's like you're not even trying anymore, man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

To

I can definitely see the difference, but I doubt anyone will mind even if I cannot improve on this. Plus I keep forgetting to read the resizing thing in the Let's Play subforum, now let me go do that.

The perfect size.

I can't wait for your LP. Can't remember if you said, will it be SS or VLP? I'm honestly hoping for SS, since I'll be able to enjoy it more from work, without raising suspicion from all of that video downloading.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fun fact: Out of this 119-page thread, Quarex's posts alone constitute 10 full pages.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quarex posted:

Also earlier I was thinking your username to myself and called you "Rupert Peppermint," as further proof that my brain has decided to rebel this morning.

I wouldn't mind one bit, really.

EDIT: Actually, in regards to those two pics you posted, my mouse wheel is scrolling just far enough so that I can almost A/B the two (they end up in the same spot on my monitor as I move), and I don't see any differences.

EDIT 2: poo poo, I think if you were to put just ONE more space in between the pictures, they'd overlap perfectly for my fancy-but-not scrolling.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 3, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, that line didn't work, made it worse, I think. No big deal. Point is, they seem identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That image-differences post is why I love SA. Truly the greatest site :allears:

• Locked thread