Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Randall posted:

Oh, they're most likely actually gonna make the game, but a decent or even playable game? Chances are slim.
Most of the money they're ever gonna get from this project is coming in now, so any incentive to make it a fun, playable game is pretty much gone, sort of like what happened to Minecraft.

This post makes absolutely no sense at all. Every sold game for them is basically pure profit, why would they not try to make an enjoyable game to maximize that profit? And comparing this game to Minecraft makes no sense. They have almost nothing in common with regards to either development process or gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I honestly trust the designers to know best when it comes to making a game I'd want. I honestly think listening to fans is just poison. These people are the genious of their craft and they are the ones who have humored us in the past and is why we invested money in their cause to amuse us, so I don't think letting a bunch of unfunny saps from the internet have a hand in it would help at all.

We're customers, but we're also really, really ignorant and complacant.

I fully agree. I believe gamers are very invested in their games, but few have actually tried to make one, and have no idea about how the process behind game design works. Most idea men "design documents" (case in point) seem to be a combination between micro-managing game mechanics and empty promises about "best [insert genre] game ever"

Basically what I'm saying is: If skyrim had been kickstarted, a small but vocal minority would almost surely whine about how they wanted destructible environment, and when the developers tell them that this would not be possible without sacrificing other important parts of the game, they would start pointing to games from fully different genres (say FPSs or old 2d pixel games) as proof that this would be doable in the game. Finally, when the developers started to ignore them, they would start online petitions and promise not to fund any new titles before playing the finished game and enjoying it far more than if their suggestions would have been implemented.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

Statshot for 3/21:

Donations are petering out at a logarithmic rate. But don't worry! If this trend holds true, we'll still hit 1.5 million in the next couple of days. Anything after that is just making its own gravy, so yay!

Where do you find the kickstarter data? That graph looks convincing enough that it would be fun to do a time series regression to predict the final outcome and see how far off the final estimate comes to the prediction.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

^^^That is very very good news.

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

Well something happened around 3pm EDT this afternoon. Donations peaked to around $4.5k that hour. Tycho's post on PA has been up since midnight, and there's been a thread on their forums since the beginning. Maybe someone else is plugging it?

Also, to the people asking, I get the graphs from that website, and I fill out that spreadsheet I use for pie charts manually. If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, just let me know.

I wouldn't mind a copy, if you like, you can send a copy to: merspamtack (at) gmail (dot) com

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Megazver posted:

The only one I ever caught on my own:

Vampire Bloodlines Theme

Massive Attack - Angel

Maybe i'm missing something, but Bloodlines use a lot of actual music from appropriately themed bands like Tiamat and Ministry in-game, so this could be an actual unaccredited licence as opposed to blatant stealing.

• Locked thread