Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This is kind of OT but I wonder if Brian Mitsoda has considered a Kickstarter campaign for Dead State, his turn-based zombie apocalypse RPG. He announced it way back before Kickstarter was even a thing and it's basically a hobby of his with his wife at this point.

I guess the primary thing might be that they made the mistake of going into partnership with Iron Tower Studies, the RPG Codex-affiliated volunteer game dev company that's been toiling away for years and years and years on their Age of Decadence fantasy RPG. If I could give Mitsoda money without any of it going to those silly dickheads, I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fewd posted:

I think the main complaint is just that it's taking them literally ages to get AoD out. As far as I understood, there should be a playable demo out any day now though, so we'll see. Maybe there's only a few more years to go!
Yeah, they've released open betas - a lot of people speak well of the tactical combat - but ITS is, as I indicated, a volunteer operation. Perhaps with the right kickstarter funding (and I really think Dead State would make 10x as much as AoD) they can get some folks who can go full-time and create a real-deal indie studio.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

The playable demo for AoD is meant to come out in the next few weeks. There were a few combat demos previously which were intended to test the combat (and I've put dozens of hours into those alone). `Vince' has a really clear vision of what he wants to do with RPGs and I think the ITS team have actually been doing very well. I don't think anyone on their team works full time (at least I'm pretty sure `Vince' doesn't), and there is no reason for them to hold to a timeline that they think will hurt the final product.
Where you see "a really clear vision", I see "a massive shoulder-situated chip" (people who turn up their noses at David Gaider for his passive-aggressive relationship with his community must have never seen Vince). I guess it's cool on a certain level that Codex folk decided to back up their talk, so to speak, and make the laborious, dogmatic game they so detest the pros for having never made, but I would never support them, mostly because their game appears spergy and uninteresting to me (plus I just really loathe grimdark fantasy) and the Codex is really gross.

The focus on AoD is, again, why I wish Mitsoda had never gotten mixed up in that noise. I love the concept of a horror RPG and Dead State sounds like the Fallout to The Walking Dead's Wasteland (italics). I would love, love, love to see it made before the AoD problem. But reasonable people can disagree, naturally.

*e grammar!

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 15, 2012

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Quarex posted:

Why in the world does it matter who you want to have sex with WHEN THE WORLD ALREADY ENDED?
Who cares? Let them have their LGBT NPCs. There clearly aren't going to be PC/NPC romances (I hope) so there's really no reason why their including some should be controversial at all.

*e grammar!

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 17, 2012

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Spanish boy band (the mature one, the goatee'd one, etc)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CrookedB posted:

Heh, it's an epidemic. Dead State, Brian Mitsoda's survival zombie RPG, is heading down the Kickstarter route as well: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2482.0.html
About loving time he did so.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is it even tenable that 10 dudes, 18 months and ~$1,500,000 produces something of at least fallout quality?
Depends, but it's definitely possible. Troika made Arcanum with about that number of staff over a 3-year period, which is pretty insane to think about. Given a simple, easy-to-use engine I'm sure a fairly large, content-heavy game could be made.

I'd still expect delays of a few months, but.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Man, NMA / Codex. The thing that's worrying about the place's influence even today is that at a certain point its first principles of game design became entirely theoretical. Like, at first it was a Fallout fansite but as Roshambo* entrenched himself and started expounding his doctrinaire philosophy on all possible aspects of game design the forum actually turned against Fallout, to the extent that FO2 was actively pilloried and FO1 was viewed with a vaguely hostile ambivalence because it failed to fulfill its promise, or whatever. They became the True Defenders of something they didn't even like.

So it's obviously worrying that they would try to muscle in on Wasteland 2. Age of Decadence is taking too much time so W2 is the next best opportunity to show the world how they're on the One True Path.

* At one point back during FO3's development I thought it would be a good idea to go back through Roshambo's posting history and make a compendium of every epic rant he ever shat out, and bind it in hardcover. Guy was a grand and terrifying platonic ideal of the sperglord. He even had ~inside sources~ within Bethsoft that enthusiastically confirmed how FO3 was an abomination in every way. It's always interesting to me how forceful personalities (often mentally ill folk) can dominate and change online communities.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't think Aphex Twin has written enough ambient music to sustain a whole other game :ohdear:

Anyway, kind of funny that "fan investors" are made just as nervous by novel ideas as real capital investors. They just have differently conservative views of what a successful game looks like.

Imagine the state of the forums when / if Fargo distances himself from the rape brigade, which he may not actually do. if I were he I would definitely not reveal any definite content decisions until after the point at which people can renege on their pledges.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Deus Ex had a good soundtrack largely because it was so unmistakably derivative of a seminal electronic composer (in that case, John Carpenter) without being an abject ripoff.

I liked the tracks that Morgan actually wrote, but yeah that poo poo was so blatant it was heinous.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm more surprised by the extent of the plagiarism than anything. Like the Aphex Twin stuff was definitely a known thing but I had no idea about the Eno or Techno Animal ripoffs (Techno Animals owns, btw).

He chose really good songs to rip off, obviously, but he was paid to be a composer, not a curator, so he really hosed up even if the carbon copies perfectly accompanied the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Well, I'd guess because he didn't want to burn any bridges that early into the project. Most other developers are probably thinking along the same lines, but then again I'm not sure this is standard practice with all publishers. At least not in regards to VA work, the bug thing is pretty common.
I know for a fact that the VA thing is not standard practice. At Obsidian it seems like producers and designers have a lot of leeway over VA recording and line choice, and they have been screwed around by publishers as much as anyone else.

I guess it could depend. I think with new Vegas recording took place both in Maryland and California, so publishers probably do have some say.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't know if Onyx necessitates intense art and graphics requirements (I mean we're assuming a lot here by thinking that Onyx will be used at all). My understanding of it was that it's more of a set of design tools, sort of like Gamebryo (which was used to make many different kinds of games), including proprietary dialog flow chart tools and the like. Conceivably Onyx could be used to make turn-based games with low overhead. I don't know, maybe Rope Kid can elucidate it for us.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Naaah. As cool as AP's dialogue system was it was heavily, heavily dependent on cinematic elements that Wasteland 2 is going to completely lack (notably, significant animations and full VA). It probably won't rise above the technical level of FO's talking heads.

That's not even getting to the fact that AP was strictly linear, not in terms of plot branching obviously, but in terms of time - it was the total antithesis of an open world. Once you talked to someone, the dialogue options you didn't choose were lost to you forever. That can't work in a game like Wasteland 2.

Besides, I actually asked Avellone back in '09 whether he'd be up for using the Dialogue Stance System in another title and he was pretty cagey about it, saying that it would have to jibe with the genre of the game being made. He said it was a bit easier to write than conventional dialogue trees, though. What he's probably referring to is the skill check-heavy but traditionally designed dialogue in the FO:NV DLCs. That would be my guess, at least.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Well, now that I've read the interview in full, I am reminded that the NWN2: Storm of Zehir dialogue system is, if not explicitly what Fargo/Avellone are referring to, what they should be referring to. It would be a pretty perfect fit and it's a natural iteration of the system that Rope Kid et al created in Icewind Dale 2 (in which the race and / or class of the PC you used to address an NPC had implications for their first impressions and /or the dialogue options you were given).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A few years back a clutch of really nice pictures apparently from the exclusion zone round Chernobyl hit the internet, it was pretty gorgeous in a spooky sort of way (wildflowers growing everywhere, deer running through deserted houses and streets). But I think something about them turned out to be fraudulent (I think it was that they were taken where people no longer live but still outside areas considered potentially dangerous). I'm trying to find them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

I would except her last game, Gray Matter, was SO awful.
I thought it was fine. The engine was an eyesore, but as an adventure game it was enjoyable enough.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Can you think of a task more miserable than arguing over minutae with obsessed Star Trek fans?
Representing Bioware at the PAX East panel this week.

Personally I don't really think the whole "great job with that last milestone, here are some more carrots!" is that conspicuous. I mean the ethics of Kickstarter have been mulled over for a long time (it was scandalous in music/film far longer than it was scandalous in gaming) but this isn't really the same as pre-order DLC at all. The thing with pre-order DLC is that it's something that could be included in the original game experience but isn't. It's an arbitrary piecemealing of content that's already been funded and created.

I guess all we have is his word, but we have no reason to believe that Fargo would be capable of providing end-user mod tools at $1.5 or $2 million (talking here of developer-created tools that are designed for ease of use - determined fanbases don't even need such things to mod their games most of the time). I guess it depends on whether you think it's dishonest or dickish to air out those possibilities with the full knowledge that it's possible and even likely that they will never materialize, and with the impetus on fans, no less. Ultimately I think it's a stretch to suggest that Fargo is taking advantage of anyone the way that, say, EA has with its day-one DLC.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

FO1 was really brown, mostly because of the UI. They switched things up and made it grey in FO2. Of course FO2 had greener environs (the cities created from GECKs, etc) and the box had a screenshot of a house with a lawn that's not actually in the game. But c'mon, let's be real.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Four Balls cliffside tavern gets my vote. I'll chip in later tonight

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

He co-founded Blizzard!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

RagingBoner posted:

Yes I do, and you (and many others who have re-posted their donations) are already on there. But if you don't remember if you said so or not, go ahead and post your amount, because I have kept track of all donators from page 1. If just a couple more get added to it because of that, then great!

Also, you can PM me.

Or email me: sideshowcody@yahoo.com

My telegraph line is #452900A
gently caress it, just gently caress it, $75 up to $250.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's no way Fargo's not going to just chip in his own cash over the line. Mod tools are in, officially.

I was thinking of going over $250 but the $500 rewards aren't worth it for the investment, plus I've got the forthcoming Obsidian kickstarter to look forward to - I'll be chipping in even more into that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

:tipshat:

The InXile forums are kind of a shitshow in general (if there's one thing that makes me nervous about Brian Fargo is that he goes whole hog for ideas even when they suck, eg listening to online forums), but the "which engine do we use?" thread seems to be 99% programmer nerds having earnest debates over what the team's best options are.

Apparently they've decided that W2's engine has to have native Linux support (as opposed to WINE dependence or whatever) and Fargo himself has hinted at a need for visual scripting, which is causing some consternation as apparently that narrows down their options to a small handful (2-3). A day or two ago the owners of Unigine offered up the source code for free, but the biggest problem with that is that it's largely untested and apparently making the $3 mil end-user tools would be a huge hassle. But free is free. We'll see where they go, but I wouldn't be surprised if Linux support turns out to have been a mistake.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 21, 2012

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dappertron
A Vicious Pug
Ace Creamcone
Human Folly

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I realized a large part of my excitement around WL2 is that, depending on how forgiving the mod tools turn out, I could very well start a Van Buren mod. I mean, I know that a lot of people talk about those things, but I've done a lot of rewriting of the thing and I want to see it made. I think it could make a pretty good feather in my cap should I decide to ruin my life and try to make it as a game designer.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Most of the pre-Honest Hearts hype had to do with the VB conception of the character, who was everything his legend made him out to be - Voorhees-esque in toughness and mad dog evil to the core. Making him a devout warrior of God in HH was a good move. He's still as dangerous as his reputation would have it but he's also deeply principled, and thus scarier than the barely repressed maniac of VB would have been.

FWIW, the VB concept most people are familiar with is the second iteration of the project, that being Rope Kid's. Avellone's Presper was a cryosleep'd pre-war scientist who randomly woke up and decided he'd hit the reset button on the world again. From what I can remember, the genesis of the idea came from the FO1 team shortly before they decamped to found Troika, during FO2's development.

Avellone's draft had a much more overall 50's B-movie sci-fi feel to it, and not necessarily in the wackadoo SCIENCE! way of Old World Blues. It cribbed a lot from the paranoiac sci-fi of the times - The Andromeda Strain, The Omega Man, The Day the Earth Stood Still, etc. It was very dark, more in the FO1 vein than FO2, and what's more it focused on a shift that FO3 and FONV explicitly rejected, which was the slow dissolution and corruption of post-nuclear organized society (via the NCR). I ended up rewriting a good deal of it for a PbP game and provided the mod tools are robust enough, I would strongly consider turning that into a WL2 mod. So expect that in 2023.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

via Avellone's Twitter, Anthony Davis and Tony Evans are also chipping in on WL2 design. Both are ex-Obsidian, the latter's fresh from having been laid off by Bioware Edmonton, the former's been working at some startup in Texas for a year and change. Presumably their work on NWN2 Storm of Zehir brought them to the table.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Granted I know nothing about balancing or how to code engines but just to spitball, I've been playing Cataclysm a lot lately and they've recently instituted an optional "spherical movement" feature that, if I understand it correctly, compensates for the wonkiness that diagonal movement on a grid inflicts (1.5 moves, etc). I don't know how or if a similar compensation could be implemented in WL2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wasteland must not like something about my rig because I'm getting immediate crashes whenever the game is opened, before the program actually executes into something on the screen.

Guess I'll be waiting awhile longer for this game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm not even sure if it's that. Is anyone playing this game on a SDD and having no problems?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

I have the same issue. May I ask what your computer's specs are? A comparison might yield a clue as to why it doesn't work

For the record, my specs are:
    * GPU: GeForce GT 750M
    * CPU: Intel Core i7 4702MQ @ 2.2GHz
    * Memory: 12 GB

All drivers are up to date, though I've switched to the default windows HD audio driver, which might be ever so slightly old. Perhaps that is the perpetrator?

I don't think that's it, I've got a fairly decent Sound Blaster Recon3D card in my rig. Here are my specs:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 660
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6100 @ 3.3 GHz
    Memory: 16 GB

If our problem is the same one, it could be related to 64 bit Windows, or GeForce cards, or the combination of said, or something else entirely. I don't know how widespread the problem is. But I logged a bug report, so we'll see what happens.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

I managed to solve my crashes by opening the NVIDIA control panel, and (in the global settings) changing the preferred graphics processor from 'auto-select' to 'high-performance NVIDIA processor'. I think Wasteland might have been defaulting to the integrated graphics proc., which was incompatible in some manner.
Doesn't look like I have this option (there's just one setting). Looks like I'll be waiting for awhile before I can relive my glory days of playing Half-Life with a pre-Voodoo graphics card.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

I agree. But maybe by not being good in combat they have enough skillpoints for other things outside of combat? Not everything has to be :airquote:perfect or whatever, right?

Yea, but by the sound of it the game (as it exists now at least) is more akin to Fallout 1/2 in that a number of the utility skills are of exceedingly marginal utility.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, they patched a day or two ago

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's funny, I've got two PCs, the WL2 beta's never worked on my desktop, and a terrible texture glitch (pitch black everything!) kept me from advancing into the first quest area on my laptop, now with the new patch I'm getting CTD on my laptop like I've always experienced with the desktop (I've sent bug reports on both, going back to the first release of the beta, but whatever hardware issues are causing it seem unresolved). I don't have a lot of confidence that I'm even going to be able to play this game for the foreseeable future. What I've heard sounds good though!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

No, the laptop is a 2013 Thinkpad that has no problems running much of anything, the desktop doesn't have anything more than 2 years old plugged into it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The laptop does, an intel HD 4000, but that's high end as laptop graphics go (it certainly has no problems running, say, Skyrim + ENB) but as I said, it was running fine before. The intro area ran very smoothly, the map travel was fine, but once you got to the first quest area, everything was black, except for the dust blowing vfx, which came in fine. You could crank the gamma and see faint outlines of characters and objects, but no features of the terrain. I clicked randomly and ended up getting into an argument with an invisible raider, who I talked my way past, but I couldn't go any farther without vision.

With the newest patch, it crashes on startup. Same with the desktop, but the beta has never worked on the desktop. I believe that's running a GTX 660.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

is this setting a bit more serious than Fallout's setting? I always felt like fallout was a little goofy for my tastes.
I'm afraid I've got some bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's been pushed to September.

Game's still crashing on startup on both of my systems, fwiw. Looks to be the exact same issue even as the hardware is completely different. Odd.

• Locked thread