Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

AxeManiac posted:

It seems kind of silly for any company to claim financial hardship when people are lined up to throw money at anyone suggesting anything close to whatever game they want to play.

The bigger a studio is, the easier it is for them to falter when they don't have a hot IP lined up or a publisher to back them up (or worse, when the publisher backs out) because they already have so much overhead :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

theblackw0lf posted:

Interesting watching some people withdraw their backing as the kickstarter looks more like a success.

Woah, why? Because they might actually have to pay up?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I apologize if this was already covered, but who exactly owns the rights to the Wasteland IP? Is it EA? Or do they just own the rights to the original Wasteland game?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Thanks for the explanations, folks! I'm really surprised that EA didn't take the whole drat thing but I guess the times have changed!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

precision posted:

Shockingly enough, EA used to be one of the best publishers in the industry.

Then again, so did Activision...

There's almost this hero's journey to the trajectory of games publishers.

I bet it would make a super interesting capitalist-apocalyptic RPG game where you play a lowly games developer who hits it big.

We could call it "Crimson Haze".

If only there was a way to crowdsource the funding of it...:shobon:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Toplowtech posted:

:psyduck: I wish game journalism wasn't a joke and some guy would actually investigate and write an article about the strange "lives" of those IPs.

I bet the lovable nerds at Radiolab would be interested in looking at how the rights to a dystopian sci fi horror game universe ended up being owned by an insurance company.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Comments from ESL speakers make me so :3: for some reason:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

AxeManiac posted:

This article is hilariously bitter, also Order of the Stick is that popular?

"This computer gaming company from exclusive Newport Beach, California [the setting for the WB network’s OC drama from a few years back]"

Newport Beach isn't that fancy, I lived near there for awhile.

I've reread the article and it's still the funniest drat thing ever. I hope no game company ever dares to spring up out of exclusive Portland, Oregon [the setting for the IFC's Portlandia show from a few weeks back].

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Seashell Salesman posted:

I wish Fargo would be clear about what their intentions are about VO then, he has also said they have noted the community don't want VO so they won't voice all the dialogue. If they are doing more than just an intro catch-phrase for NPCs then I'd rather take my money out and get drunk. Stop wasting everyone's money on VO and cut-scenes when everyone just reads the subtitles and skips your crap anyhow. If I wanted to listen to people read lines I could watch a movie (and they wouldn't be bugging out and lip-synching horribly while delivering the lines either).

I also don't care about VO (and I personally can't stand 99% of it unless it's Liam Neeson and he's my dad :kiddo:). PS:T for me was all about reading all the wonderfully crafted lines; not having to sit there for an hour hearing a VO actor drone on and on from those lines.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Kharmakazy posted:

NMA's reputation is so well cemented at this point though, that no matter how things actually change within the forum it will forever remembered for the batshit spergfest it was. What do they call the war hero with the purple heart who had sex with a dog that one time? Dog fucker.

NMA's reputation is so bad that I thought your last sentence was something that happened over at NMA.

And I totally would have believed that.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

quakster posted:

Trainwreck sense... tingling...

Add in some purchasable mounts and my money is yours, Mr. Fargo.

Somewhat related: Did you know that people kept buying horse armor DLC for Oblivion for years? :shepface:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26471/oblivions-horse-armour-still-sells-today/

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Vodurden posted:

I really hope they do ignore the fans on some things though. Do they honestly think that total fan input won't degrade the game as much as publisher pressure?

I never got a chance to play wasteland but I threw in my $15 because I really want to see this be a success

That's the thing a lot of gamers don't realize: a shrieking, blobular mass of angry armchair developer nerds can be just as or even more detrimental than a bunch of angry publisher execs.

Liking games has little bearing on just how good you are as a developer or even someone who can provide valuable feedback.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

CaptainScraps posted:

*You unfurl the message that the Kimashi village has kept secret for 1000 years, a sacred scroll that may help you on your quest*

"Dicks LMBO."

If it is implemented exactly like this, I would be sincerely so happy.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Was Mark Morgan inspired by existing work for these two Planescape: Torment tracks? They're like my favorite video game pieces of all time :swoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOuy4YM0AI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCpk7HIryK0

Really I just want to know if there's more music like it :kiddo:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

evilmiera posted:

And then some, going to try and stick some more money into this if possible. Need to meet rent first.

Rent? Why not just give it all and live your life as though you're already in the game?

I'm in for $150 :unsmigghh:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Oh do you have the figures on how much those licensing fees and wages would cost? Please share.

Maybe they're going from the Armchair Developer Blue Book where game development is easy and painless and developers work for free to release utterly flawless, niche products and support them with more content forever.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doc Hawkins posted:

Whatever Diablo 3 uses.

Diablo 3 is just really magical in general when it comes to production values and polish. I think it'll scratch that ARPG itch for quite a long time and will keep me busy until Wasteland 2's early beta comes :hellyeah:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

AxeManiac posted:

Don't worry, I'm alerting some financial advisers into the thread to help us cope with this news, also some loan officers and maybe a loan shark since I know a lot of goons don't have credit.

Not even the vampire squids at Goldman Sachs could have predicted that the next big financial bubble would have come from goons giving away all their money to Steam and Kickstarter :unsmigghh:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

RagingBoner posted:

If we wouldn't all lose our own copies of the game, I was about to suggest everyone here remove their pledges, and then combine them so we could buy a statue of Johnny Five Aces. Or an irradiated house that only has a set of stairs that lead nowhere.

Yes, I have stairs in my house. AND THAT'S IT. :colbert:

Edit: just to be be clear, these were joke ideas, as Internet Memes are the Worst Jokes.tm

Why don't we just do our own goony-as-gently caress Kickstarter to dump money into making some horrible goony-as-gently caress thing get into Wasteland 2?

Quarex? :crossarms:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

AxeManiac posted:

Dumping money, time and creativity into getting this into the game will be much better than kicking around gang tags.

Here is the plan, I could front the 2,500 and then people can paypal/mail me donations, that sound good? We can put our favorite item into SA, I'll give away the bonus materials, boxed copy and digital copies (Can I make two different kickstarter donations without canceling my original $100 donation?)

If I don't get at least half the amount raised back in donations, I'll return the money to everyone and put myself into the game, hopefully naked and aroused. So, donate money if you don't want me to ruin your game, and donate money to get SA into Wasteland 2.

I don't know if I want to do this however, because drat, that would be a lot of money if nobody is interested.

I'm in for $100. I've already put in $150, but this is worth it.

Your move, gentlegoons :clint:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Seashell Salesman posted:

Video games should have more mannish, overweight, or just weird looking female characters (seriously). Why are they all really feminine and attractive it makes no sense especially since video games.

You have to understand that game developers are only making what they're experienced with: extremely attractive straight white women :smugdog:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

theblackw0lf posted:

So I'm assuming that the $50 and over tiers include all the rewards found in the $30 tier, even though it doesn't say so. Is that correct?

Because I don't want to pledge $50 and miss out on the Chris Avellone Novella.

Yep!

And if I wasn't counted by RagingBoner, I'm in for $250.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

signalnoise posted:

Just imagine some deranged fans happily recreating Wasteland 1 with the Wasteland 2 mods.

Even better, if you're on the fence about just how awesome mod tools would make this game, just look into the Skyrim Nexus thread.

Just imagine the possibilities for WastelandNexus :allears:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Blooshoo posted:

Gonna get some boobs on that Scorpitron 2.0. Also there will be a sidequest where you can seduce it.

You need to spend more time in Nexus: it's Scorpidong or the highway :chord:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Azathoth LCA posted:

Another lurker de-cloaking here to chime in. I donated $250. I never played Wasteland, but Fallout 1/2 are some of my favorite games of all time.

Quarex - I was in for $100 on day 2, but started worrying about if that much was a good idea. Your enthusiasm not only erased my doubts, but convinced me to go up to $150, and then $250 level a day or two later. Thanks, man!

Heh, I was in at $150 initially and then bumped up to $250.

All I know is that when I release my indie game, I'm going to have Quarex be the hypeman.

Quarex, are you a fan of Battlefield or Tribes? :allears:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

AxeManiac posted:

I think this is important to note. We are supporting ideas and talent, not just a game. Funding money into this is about as close as gamers can get to "supporting the arts".

Indeed! If you have ever complained about soulless publishers screwing talented artists out of their hard work, this is your chance to do something about it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

RagingBoner posted:

I gave all my pre-apocalyptic clothes to my pre-apocalyptic friends.

I'm wearing a leather thong, snow boots, a motorcycle helmet, and nothing else.

This is basically business casual in Los Angeles.

Quarex posted:

Yay!!! I would love to be a hypeman forever! Within reason!!!

I played and enjoyed, are you ready for this, Battlefield: 1942, Battlefield: Vietnam, and Tribes 2. That was about six months before I realized I never wanted to play multiplayer games again because I could not handle infinite racism, sexism, homophobia, and illiteracy :hellyeah:

We'll stay in touch :respek:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

ThePutty posted:

You seriously don't play any multiplayer games because of a few bad experiences? :pwn:

If it wasn't for the anti-racist/sexist/homophobe clan I'm in now, I wouldn't play multiplayer games. I only got a couple hours a week for playing games so I'd like to spend those hours with people who aren't total douchebags.

Everyone has different levels of bullshit they'll put up with.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The non-human team.

Peaceful Anarchy nailed it in my opinion. This is the only team that will do.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Francois Kofko posted:

I am going to use all four votes for The West Wind.
Imagine a party of four winds, all from the west, on the edge of a cliff

I'm still disappointed that Crimson Haze/bestowed never really left much of a legacy compared to Zybourne Clock.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

RagingBoner posted:

I will, but here's the issue: apparently not all my collected names ended up in the final image.
First, the quadrants:

Does anyone have a good easy file host? I could post the list here, but it's over 500 lines long.

For text? Use Pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Quarex posted:

An excellent decision.

why does Imgur not let me upload these as .pngs what the heck and why is it so small better play with DOSBox settings again

Non-premium imgur accounts auto-convert all large file size PNG images to JPG :smith:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

RagingBoner posted:

I have yet to hear from 3 orders yet, I'm going to send out one last email to let these folks know they are about to lose their spot.

If I don't hear from them in a week, their shirts will be up for grabs.

Is there a waiting list? Can I put on it? I didn't think I wanted one of these shirts but now I do :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
If there's another medium, I'm down to throw money at you :)

Hit me up: fookolt @ gmail.com

fookolt fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 29, 2012

• Locked thread