Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
34 days to go and they are one third of the way to their goal.

Jesus Christ Kickstarter is revealing a primal urge in cosumers we've barely begun to tap into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Quarex posted:

As Dr. Video Games 0031 says, the highest single day will probably be the first one, but in the larger context, this kind of funding still makes so much sense. The "Old Way" was to hope that a game company came up with something you wanted to see, or that a game you loved got a sequel. The new way is to seek out someone who wants to do the thing you want to see done, and give them ludicrous sums of money to be more involved with the project than you ever could have been in the past.

I'll tell you what, if nothing else it's revealing a power in the modern wealthy, savvy consumer to control their own game intake that publishers will probably wish they never discovered.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

700 dollars under the halfway point on the first day. That's not bad at all.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Just a shade under $150,000 to go halfway through the second day.

I doubt this will end up with more than Double Fine's effort, I mean I really doubt it, but if it does it'll be great.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Double Fine hit a million in 20 hours, IIRC, so this isn't really on track for that, but who knows if different audiences mean different donation trends. It's already starting very differently with a ton of huge 10k+ donations

That's the trend I imagine that'll go one; fewer but larger donations as the guys and gals who remembered playing this back in the day can now afford more than someone who played Grim Fandango 15 years ago.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh, I just assumed he got it off Interplay. Interplay has had IP firesales multiple times in the past as it's had continuous financial trouble since the late '90s. It's pretty funny how that happened. Sometimes IPs end up in the weirdest places. What's that franchise whose IP is owned by some random non-gaming related insurance company?

The rights to Earthworm Jim have got to be owned by a barber in Brixton now or something.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

$80,000 to go!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

$25,000 to go as Day 3 dawns!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Quarex posted:

And ten standing on top.

WASTELAND 2X: JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL, BUT TWO OF THEM

What is going on in that cover anyway? Is it a solo protagonist against a group of villains or a party against a big boss?

Or just random cool nonsense?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I assume the Doublefine kickstarter slowed after the initial goal was met but it can't have been nearly by this much. It's barely moved in four days.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They only take money from my card when it hits the funding date, right? I want to pledge another 50 to hit the 100 bucks mark, but it's also not payday just yet.

Nothing goes through until after the end-date for the kickstarter.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Quarex posted:

Awwwwww!!!

Did your avatar previously have a red cowl or am I going crazier?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

inscrutable horse posted:

Fuckin' hell, that intro gives me the chills every. God. drat. Time! I must have completed IWD over 20 times, and yet, I watch the intro every time. It is without a doubt the best intro ever made.

Well, no. But it is fantastic VO work.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Wait a second aren't Obsidian essentially toxic? Aren't they on the end of the noose of administration or something?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

astrollinthepork posted:

The news about Obsidian and Avellone hopping on board is going to save me $50. I've been burned by Obsidian one too many times.

Your aware they're only assisting in design, not programming?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Not to jynx it, but when Sakaguchi, Toriyama, and Uematsu got back together for the first time since Chrono Trigger, the result was Blue Dragon.

At least one of these people is monstrously overrated thanks to his massive frothing fanbase. Have a guess which one it is, you might be surprised!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Fredrik1 posted:

And we got $2,100,052 on kickstarter right now!!!

:toot:

And there's, what, 12 days to go? This could hit around 2.5 mil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

12 hours to go ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!

• Locked thread