Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

emoticon posted:

I'm cautious because Obsidian should be handling this, not inxile (which I think released 1 game in like its 10 years of existence and it was that terrible Bard's Tale remake)

They also made Hunted: The Demon's Forge. That had a lot of problems, but it was actually a decently fun game when in co-op.

edit: That said, Wasteland 2 will be such a wildly different game, on such a different budget, development cycle, and team size, that none of InXile's previous games are any real indication of its quality. That Bard's Tale remake was the last game Fargo designed and it was 8 years ago. For all we know, him in charge of a 4-5 person team making a turn based isometric game will turn out completely differently.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nilbop posted:

34 days to go and they are one third of the way to their goal.

Jesus Christ Kickstarter is revealing a primal urge in cosumers we've barely begun to tap into.

Granted, half the total funds will probably come from the first three days. But it's off to a better start than I honestly expected. Makes me happy that this will probably be successful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There was a time when being slashdotted would practically kill your site, it was so popular. But... does anyone actually give a poo poo about it now? Honest question, how many people regular Slashdot but not other PC gaming sites like RPS?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing them team that's making this won't be much more than 20 or so people working on it for a year.

20? I was under the impression that it will be about 10, with a year and a half dev cycle. 1 million will be adequate for that. The more money they get from kickstarter, the bigger the team, most likely. Which is different from the double fine game where the extra money lengthened their dev cycle instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you plan on backing it, you're a few hours too late, unfortunately. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The notch thing is entirely separate and happened before that kickstarter even went up. Notch had no idea what they were planning when he made his offer. No matter what happens, the game that is funded via kickstarter will use every penny of those funds in its development and be a completely original IP. Psychonauts 2 may or may not happen after the adventure game is finished.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nilbop posted:

Just a shade under $150,000 to go halfway through the second day.

I doubt this will end up with more than Double Fine's effort, I mean I really doubt it, but if it does it'll be great.

Double Fine hit a million in 20 hours, IIRC, so this isn't really on track for that, but who knows if different audiences mean different donation trends. It's already starting very differently with a ton of huge 10k+ donations

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fookolt posted:

I apologize if this was already covered, but who exactly owns the rights to the Wasteland IP? Is it EA? Or do they just own the rights to the original Wasteland game?

I think EA only ever owned the rights to sell Wasteland but Interplay owned the IP until relatively recently when they had a firesale and Fargo bought it.

edit: Interplay got away with it because this was before EA was a massive corporation that demanded all intellectual property rights for everything it worked with.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quarex posted:

Electronic Arts just owns publishing rights to the original game; Brian Fargo bought the rights to "Wasteland" off of the Yu-Gi-Oh! people in 2003, as a hilarious side note to all this (why did they have them? I have no idea).

Oh, I just assumed he got it off Interplay. Interplay has had IP firesales multiple times in the past as it's had continuous financial trouble since the late '90s. It's pretty funny how that happened. Sometimes IPs end up in the weirdest places. What's that franchise whose IP is owned by some random non-gaming related insurance company?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Megadyptes posted:

I think that's System Shock.

Yeah, just found that. The System Shock property is literally owned by these guys: http://www.meadowbrookinsgrp.com/starinsurance.html

Figure that one out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Aren't the System Shock rights all hosed up though? Like the insurance company owns the name, but someone else owns the actual in-universe IP like Shodan, etc.?

I believe that's the case with Alpha Centauri, anyway.

I think Alpha Centauri was all tidied up. EA managed to get everything back which is why they can sell the game again. The only problem is that they'll never work with Firaxis (or rather, Firaxis will never work with them) so it will probably be wasted.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Elysiume posted:

So...would people suggest the $30 pledge?

I'd suggest whatever you feel comfortable pledging. The $30 pledge rewards don't personally seem worth the extra $15 to me, but that's really only half the point.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Star Control 3 kickstarter would own. But Toys For Bob is owned by Activision and has no autonomy whatsoever. They probably wouldn't be allowed to do a kickstarter in the first place.

They've pitched Star Control 3 to Activision many times and every time they said no. And now they're forced to make Spyro Skylanders games. At least those are making shitloads of money (for Activision). Maybe they'll throw Toys For Bob a bone sometime.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's a lot of names being thrown around, but honestly, I hope almost all of them never happen. I'd rather they do something original in the vein of those games rather than to remake them. Wasteland 2 is a little different, since it's been a dream project of Fargo's for like 20 years. So I guess he's entitled to endulge himself. As far as stuff like Master of Magic goes, I'd rather just another good game of that genre gets made, and not have some developer try to pander to oldschool MOM fans. I basically wish Elemental wasn't a total disaster.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Where's the chart from?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of these games will have the troll face. Which one will be it? I'm taking bets on Wasteland 2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Somebody post a comment there including all those kickstarter charts that had huge surges after the Double Fine kickstarter went live.

Thing is, he just seems to be completely ignorant about the issues he's talking about. He has no idea about the publisher-developer relationship and why they need kickstarter to do the projects they need to do. And then automatically assumes that any registered company is loaded with money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Denzer posted:

I think the people who are getting upset about the recent big kickstarter projects are drastically underestimating the net gain to the smaller projects from the influx of new people and expanded awareness of kickstarter.

I had not even heard of kickstarter before the doublefine thing, that got me into funding the Wasteland 2 project, and I will continue to fund any small projects that I find now that I am aware of the site. I think overall this is going to be positive for even the really small four-five figure projects. It's a great model.

One question, that black gate guy says in his post that Amazon takes 10%? I thought it was only 5%?

Kickstarter takes 5, Amazon takes 5. Then you have to account for unfulfilled pledges/renegers.

edit: He seems to be under the impression that Amazon owns Kickstarter, but I can't find any evidence of this.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 18, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is it even tenable that 10 dudes, 18 months and ~$1,500,000 produces something of at least fallout quality?

Probably not, but considering Fallout is one of the greatest games ever made, we shouldn't expect a game of such extremely high caliber. You act as if that's a low bar.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm extremely skeptical of that Tex Murphy game. The development studio has a rather terrible history.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think they have to compromise on the mechanics. The graphics will probably be simple 3D graphics, but people have come to expect that from indie games. It doesn't have to look amazing.

The real compromise will be with world size and content. At $1.5 - 2 million, it will be Fallout 1 sized at best, but probably not even. FO2 had a crazy big game world and it certainly wont compare to that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I was just going to remark that maybe PA did have an effect. Looking at the charts, the curve has been consistent since a couple days after the beginning, with occasional bumps from $10k pledges. Today the curve seems consistently higher without any big pledge bumps. Nothing massive, mind you, but it's noticeable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nilbop posted:

I assume the Doublefine kickstarter slowed after the initial goal was met but it can't have been nearly by this much. It's barely moved in four days.

No, it was pretty much exactly like this. Pledges got down to about $1000-1500 an hour for the last couple weeks of the DF one. We're still averaging higher than that, and are at about $50k a day. That's really good and if it stays like this for the next 20 days, that's another million dollars, a lot of loving money. It WONT stay like this, though, it will dip down even lower, but still. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 500k out of this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quarex posted:

Another $10,000 donation tier falls to the anonymous wealthy apocalypsos of the Internet! :toot: Only five left, better tell your trust fund friends to age into their inheritance in the next 20 days.

Don't worry, Fargo will just up the availability yet again to keep the false sense of scarcity going.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

seorin posted:

I'm really torn about this announcement. On the one hand, I couldn't be more thrilled at the prospect of adding Chris Avellone and any other Obsidian folks to the project. They're the company I most want to support via kickstarter. On the other hand, it feels a little slimy to make that participation depend on a new, higher donation level. Yes, there are probably licensing fees, but we're already well over half a million above the original goal. That money was supposed to go to creating a bigger world with more choices, which is exactly what partnering with Obsidian is going to make easier. Essentially, I feel like we've already paid for this, and now Brian Fargo wants more.

I still upped my pledge (by more than double), but the details leave a kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

You did already pay for that, so you're already getting it. They aren't saying that you WONT get a bigger world now unless obsidian gets on board. More money always means more people working on the game and an even more fleshed out game world. In this case, the additional money wont mean more people within inXile, but instead people from Obsidian.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Just checked out how much Tim Schafer's Kickstarter did. Holy smokes, how does he get 3.2 million? Wasteland 2 is not going to get up there at this rate.

Tim Schafer is more widely known than Brian Fargo and there's probably more reverence for lucas arts adventure games than crazy old school '80s RPGs. They're at the very least more mainstream.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xik posted:

Do you have source for this? Whenever I have changed my pledge (I have done so for multiple projects now) I have had multiple payment authorizations in my account.

Those are just authorizations. Amazon has to authorize each change you make to your pledge amount. Once the payment happens, you only get charged for the final amount.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

thepopstalinist posted:

I don't know if Onyx necessitates intense art and graphics requirements (I mean we're assuming a lot here by thinking that Onyx will be used at all). My understanding of it was that it's more of a set of design tools, sort of like Gamebryo (which was used to make many different kinds of games), including proprietary dialog flow chart tools and the like. Conceivably Onyx could be used to make turn-based games with low overhead. I don't know, maybe Rope Kid can elucidate it for us.

rope kid posted:

Onyx is a complete engine and set of tools. It's not a do-anything engine, but it's good for the sort of games we make (which is why we made it).

South Park is using Onyx, right? It's my understanding that will be a Paper Mario style turn based RPG. So if inXile's partnership with Obsidian will include the engine, it seems more than capable of handling a Wasteland 2. Especially since it's might the sort of game Obsidian makes already.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 31, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quarex posted:

In addition to "Crowdsourced Tactical Whatever," ($53,000 to go with 24 hours left!)

Oh hey, this thing actually has a chance to just barely eke out, huh? It was 100k down a couple days ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DrManiac posted:

I wonder how much this will be once it comes out. It's worth shooting them $15 for a full fledged game even if you don't know about wasteland.

It will probably remain $15.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If things continue at the same rate they've been at for the last 4 days, I think we'll hit 2.4 million by the end, shy of the 2.5 milestone. Of course, I don't think things will continue at the same rate. Five days from now, daily numbers will be much lower. And during the last two days, you'll see a substantial increase. It's possible that it will get to 2.5 million but I don't believe it's a sure thing. 3.0 million is a pipe dream that I doubt is going to happen.

It will be really interesting to see how this ends vs Double Fine's.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VisAbsoluta posted:

To be honest, I don't care much about the mod tools, but hitting 2.5m so we get more game content, music and art would be brilliant.

Every extra dollar the kickstarter gets will create more content, music, and art. That 2.5m goal is kind of a fake goal. They aren't saying that it will do anything that more money wouldn't have done no matter what. "hiring more designers" is something they'll do even if it only hits 2.4m, they'll just hire one fewer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BlondRobin posted:

Oh, no, I don't see triple-A gaming being produced via Kickstarter. My main point was that a $50m game is not actually 20x the budget in quality of a $2.5m game, because large portions of that budget are spent in marketing, not just design.

I was always under the impression that most of the budget figures we see in game development is of the actual development itself. As in, GTA4 took $100 million to actually make. Marketing probably cost several hundred more million.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Smol posted:

Yesterday they made over 2.5 times more money than on the past few days. I wonder what caused that.

E: ^^ New Vegas is a good game despite the engine.

Are you sure you're reading the graphs right? Looks like yesterday was like the previous few days. Today is bigger for some reason, possibly due to the proximity to the 2.1m milestone and the announcement of new milestones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas used the Gamebryo engine. Which thankfully Bethesda seems to have retired when they released Skyrim.

It's still the same engine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I thought Skyrim ran on 'Creation' or something like that? Is it just a heavily upgraded version?

It's just a new name for Gamebryo with rewritten rendering code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

This was really hit home for the Grecloak/Imperial fort fights. The first time I went t one I was thinking "man this should be cool, going to invade a loving fort full of soldiers." Then it ran as some 8 on 8 fight and I just said gently caress it, used Storm Call, and let nature kill both sides for me.

Or the siege of Whiterun. The leadup to that was freaking epic, and I couldn't believe that was relegated to a sidequest. Then I got inside and fought small numbers of respawning enemies the whole way.

I suspect that at some point in development, you were going to be required to partake in the civil war, but they didn't want to put the resources into fully fleshing it out. So they made it optional and just lazily did copy/paste missions for two thirds of it.

• Locked thread