Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Hey Demaryius, a man can build a thousand bridges and only catch one pass from Tebow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I will never understand why y'all read King.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

ButtView posted:

The same reason people watch First Take.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

ButtView posted:

Howard Stern syndrome for sports fans. I HATE HIM AND MUST READ EVERYTHING HE SAYS ARGHHH

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

He also found a way to spend a page on bill belichick.

A pitiful one sided affair.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ButtView posted:

Because despite being a horse's rear end he's very well connected an tere is genuinely stuff worth reading in between all his self righteous editorializing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rap posted:

Reminder that Peter King thinks he is great. And that he's going to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

And yet he refuses to vote Cris Carter in there, and refused to put Art Monk in there for the longest time

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FizFashizzle posted:

He also found a way to spend a page on bill belichick.

Spending a page on Belichick is really the least of King's sins. Belichick is a fascinating character.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ButtView posted:

I mostly avoid him, but really I think from a journalism perspective we'll never see a more poorly planned, poorly executed article than that eight-page brainfuck he churns out every Sunday night and you have to watch that car wreck sometimes to remind yourself what not to become

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Incredible Ed posted:

The same reason people watch First Take.

I don't know why you do that either.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone find the paper brick from way back when with Peter King berating the Krafts for hiring Belichick instead of (I think) Tom Donahoe.

Toddofodd
Jun 6, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone find the paper brick from way back when with Peter King berating the Krafts for hiring Belichick instead of (I think) Tom Donahoe.

Is this it?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2000/01/26/ten_things/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ahahahahahahhaha yes

quote:

And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Incredible. In a brief article he manages to make abysmally wrong judgement calls about the sport he covers, name drop Brett Favre, complain about his free trips to the Super Bowl, AND give his unwelcome opinion about an unrelated current event. It's like someone carefully crafted a Peter King time capsule for us to discover 12 years later.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Rap posted:

I mostly avoid him, but really I think from a journalism perspective we'll never see a more poorly planned, poorly executed article than that eight-page brainfuck he churns out every Sunday night and you have to watch that car wreck sometimes to remind yourself what not to become

Don't stare too long into that abyss, Rap.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Wow, PK used to take a lot less time to not get to the point.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

He's complaining about the winter in Atlanta. Peter King is the biggest baby.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Wanted to make sure this wasn't lost to history.

Peter King: Rape Apologist

Peter King posted:

4. I think it was good to see Ben Roethlisberger walking with the grads at Miami (Ohio) University Sunday. Roethlisberger got his Bachelor of Science in Education eight years after leaving campus for the NFL. What's not good is the petty attacks Roethlisberger took when I threw out kudos Saturday on Twitter. Those are the people who refuse to believe a person can change and grow, and who revel in keeping their opinions static. Roethlisberger, these people are certain, has abused women and thus will always be an abuser, and he can never move forward in his life.

I'm not sure who Ben Roethlisberger is right now, and I'm not sure if he'll ever be the kind of person you'd want your kids to emulate. But what I am sure of is this: People are capable of changing, and very often do change when tumultuous events rake their lives. That, however, is something none of you Twitter abusers believe can happen.

Yeap! Let's forgive a rapist because he hasn't raped in a while! People change!

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Wasn't it Peter King who, in a column published in August after the second time Big Ben raped someone, praised him for "Staying out of trouble since the incident"? Or am I thinking of another awful sports writer? I just remember sitting here dumbfounded that a guy honestly said "Hey he's not raped anyone for 3 months, upstanding citizen right here!"

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

AKMoose posted:

As a former reporter, I am having trouble understanding what King's point is supposed to be. Reporters serve the public, not their sources. There was nothing surreptitious, illegal, or unethical about a documentary filmmaker releasing footage of statements made in his presence. I also get a kick out of how he passes judgment on a contract he admits he's never seen. What a dolt.

As a current reporter it can be explained by complacency. Peter king - whom I never read until I started posting here - is the epitome of a lazy reporter who's interested only in the status quo, in every way.

Can he use unparalleled access to write about dumb bullshit like his hotel coffee? you loving bet he will. He's the old, fat, useless columnist who coasts on relevance he never earned.

maybe i'm projecting too much, but gently caress peter king

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

Wanted to make sure this wasn't lost to history.

Peter King: Rape Apologist

Yeap! Let's forgive a rapist because he hasn't raped in a while! People change!

You mean he hasn't been caught raping anyone for a while.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Chichevache posted:

You mean he hasn't been caught raping anyone for a while.

Let's be honest, on some level that whole thing was absurd. "Hey! Ben! We'll suspend you for 6 games, but to reduce it to 4, all you have to do is not sexually assault women! Allegedly. Allegedly sexually assault women. Repeatedly."

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Martinpale posted:

Let's be honest, on some level that whole thing was absurd. "Hey! Ben! We'll suspend you for 6 games, but to reduce it to 4, all you have to do is not sexually assault women! Allegedly. Allegedly sexually assault women. Repeatedly."

Well to be fair, it's not just the not raping that changed. By all accounts he has left previous assholish ways behind and has been presidential candidate style squeaky clean, which is pretty tough to do for two years straight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Moxie posted:

Well to be fair, it's not just the not raping that changed. By all accounts he has left previous assholish ways behind and has been presidential candidate style squeaky clean, which is pretty tough to do for two years straight.

Not for nothing, but it shouldn't be that hard to live up to the standards of "don't be a jackass"

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

Moxie posted:

Yea, he acted like a human being. Let us reward him with accolades and anoint his feet with scented oils. It's pretty easy not to be an irresponsible poo poo-heel for two years. Lots of players do it their entire careers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

Yea, he acted like a human being. Let us reward him with accolades and anoint his feet with scented oils. It's pretty easy not to be an irresponsible poo poo-heel for two years. Lots of players do it their entire careers.

This. I personally don't expect to be rewarded for not doing a negative action. You deserve praise when you go above and beyond being a human being. Could you imagine a Something Awful where E/N lavishes you with praise because " This week I did not put a child beneath a guillotine."

sever

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Welp, looks like I'll have to go out and commit some attrocities before anyone will notice that I haven't been doing them for any amount of time.

Maybe Peter King is just subtly trying to get some props for going a stretch without stealing from a seven year old.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Peter King.

quote:

LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL IS NOT FOOTBALL'S RESPONSIBILITY. "I'm very sad for the loss of Junior Seau like everyone, but why is the league responsible for their well-being after their careers are over? Where does it start/end? Should a guy who only plays in a few games get the same counseling as a 20-year vet. Maybe the players should consider what 'life after football' looks like while they are in college and actually earn a degree.''
-- From Tom, of Palmyra, Pa.

Valid point. It's hard, when you're in the middle of the hero-worshipping, big-money life many of these players lead, to have the sort of perspective that a Matt Light or Kurt Warner has. I agree with you: More of them should.

Really. Really?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Eat all the dicks, Peter King, you hack.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was wondering when the NFL was going to start calling in their hacks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

rotoworld had a video with two toe tags talking about the "winners and losers" of the nfl draft.

One guy? Winners: the fans. Losers: the fans that boo'd goodell.

How do you do that with a straight face?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Brannock posted:

Peter King.

Really. Really?

Noted White NFL Players Kurt Warner and Matt Light.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
King is so tone-deaf he has no idea that he just named 1) two white players 2) two players who haven't been retired nearly long enough to hold up as examples.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
Man, why are players who, hero-worshipped and pressured to get into the NFL ASAP, not staying in school to get their "LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL" degree?

And they want to pussify the NFL by taking away our big hits to protect that gay book learnin'.

Seriously, I feel like King was fluff and an nfl mouthpiece but generally harmless. He was the USA TODAY of football, now he's a racist, rape apologist, NFL propagandist...

He's loving terrible and has awful taste in beer/coffee. MMMmmM Carmel Macchicato/Blue Moon time!

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Don't let Peter King sour your taste of Blue Moon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

commy gun posted:

Don't let Peter King sour your taste of Blue Moon.

Blue Moon is poo poo and any beer brewed by Coors should be on your "do not drink" list.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kalli posted:

I was wondering when the NFL was going to start calling in their hacks.

Merril Hoge had his career ended and nearly died because of concussions (which he later successfully sued the poo poo out of the Bears for mishandling), and he somehow still got all self-righteous about the Kurt Warner thing.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 11, 2012

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Moxie posted:

Man, I've got two and a half decades of alleged rape to catch up on. I didn't know I'd been toughing it out this long.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Merril Hodge had his career ended and nearly died because of concussions (which he later successfully sued the poo poo out of the Bears for mishandling), and he somehow still got all self-righteous about the Kurt Warner thing.

I don't pay attention to ESPN more than I need to if I want to watch whatever game they're showing. I assumed Hoge would be the guy swimming upstream on the issue, that's terrible :(

Insert bad joke about Hoge no longer being coherent here I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Once you get to the point where thousands of dollars are given to you for writing nothing-content every week, sticking up for what is basically cattle to them isn't a smart business move.

• Locked thread