Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Welp, looks like I'll have to go out and commit some attrocities before anyone will notice that I haven't been doing them for any amount of time.

Maybe Peter King is just subtly trying to get some props for going a stretch without stealing from a seven year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

But how do you tell the greatest sportswriter ever that hes wrong?

How do you shoot the devil in the back?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Rap posted:

I just learned that my NEW HERO Mike Florio linked to one of my articles!! I lvoe you mark florida

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/05/cox-thomas-facing-civil-suit-over-alleged-rape/
Yep ham wrote the courthouse news story. Please forgive appearance as I don't make the website or spend the 4 seconds creating the image that slips by copyright laws

I feel this legitimizes Florio entirely and he's now the best writer in footbal.

ham please become one of florios "league sources" and dance him down the path to a very humiliating and hilariously public demise. tia

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

uhh, sorry, proffessor, but the rule is *always* cat pictures in the text

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sash! posted:

I want to reach through the internet and nutpunch anyone that puts "just a thought" at the end of their comment.

quote:

...JUST A THOUGHT.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I can't decide whether this thread has made me think that being a decent journalist is either really, really easy, or incredibly, out of control hard.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Chichevache posted:

To me it seems that it is possible in theory, but no one has done it yet.

I think what is super hard is actually becomming a high profile sports journalist to begin with. Then from there, the ridiculously insanely hard part is still being a decent, respectable journalist while you're paid no matter what tripe you put out. It's like being told pants are optional and showing up to work in pants every day anyway. It's gotta be tough to continue to adhere to a standard while the majority of your target market is either drunk and/or doesn't know poo poo about what you're talking about anyway.

Without knowing a single journalist or having any real knowledge on the field, to me, the real problem here is the inherant target market of recreational journalism. Not that major "serious" news companies put out a decent product overall, but there still remains quality journalism within their ranks. When you look at recreational journalism like sport and video games though, (and to a lesser extent, tourism,) trying to find a well written, well sourced article without bias or spin is way more of a challenge than it should be. At least looking at it from a journalism perspective. I'm starting to think a lot of these guys don't really think of themselves as "journalists" any more though.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Rap posted:

my posting ways are mysterious indeed. the spirit of Boniface touches me, and I fall down

I had a bottle of that stuff once but last I saw of it, my wife poured me a mugfull and next thing i know the mug was flying at my head.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Chichevache posted:

A little off topic, but do you think your catch rate will improve now that Jay Cutler is throwing to you again?

Well, I didn't think it could get any worse but all he's been throwing me lately is the finger

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I'm sitting in a little Italian restaurant while I read this and 'Everything I do, I do it for you,' Bryan Adams' smash hit from the Robin Hood soundtrack circa 1990, is playing and all I can think of is Peter King singing it at karaoke.

To an autographed picture of himself.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I wish I could make a ridiculous amount of money to break Mike Florio.

Y'all should start up a pool.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

No loving way Omar is that delusional

Have you not seen what he considers journalism?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

ahaha oh man I am biting my posting tongue so hard right now you're lucky i love you ham.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Rap posted:

"Not as much as they like me. Ask my wife. Helldump bitch. Next question."

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

holy moly

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The thing is that papers actually choose which letters to publish, whereas websites don't really have the choice on what comments or vile things initially go up.

Unless they've got Peter King on staff.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Can we please turn this thread into a website that calls out lovely journalism and ridicules it? There's quite a few things in here that aren't borderline or just lazy, but that deserve to be showcased somewhere and properly called out. If you're going to abuse your public platform then maybe you should be held accountable for it somewhere that doesn't get buried/ignored/deleted in a mountain of other lovely comments.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, that was pretty cromulent. Nice job.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Looks like whatever you linked to has already been yoinked

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

shutup ham, your link doesn't even do anything when I click on it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So apparently, noted shithead Angelo Cataldi (the guy who organized a bus full of fans to go and boo :mcnabb: as he got drafted by the Eagles) is now trying to drum up support to get another boo fest going for :mcnabb:'s retirement ceremony when it's held at half time during a home game this year.

I want to show up anytime Cataldi steps foot in public and boo him constantly.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Best QB ever actually but yeah why let a little thing like that get in the way of conuntuing Philadelphia's streak of being the worst city to play for.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Per a league source, I'm the only one doing any real work in this entire industry

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Scratch my earlier idea to start up a website to catalogue and call out lovely sports journalism and change it to writing inflammatory emails to lovely sports journalists to try and bait them into some sort of reply that will get them fired if it were to unfortunately be made pubic

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I was at that game, Peter. I saw that foul ball. I watched you grab the wrong one. For a price, I can give you the name and address of that little boy...

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Wanna see Brady balloon up to 350lbs by 45 and then spend the next 25 years in the booth with Peyton.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Had a brief moment of panic at the beginning of your post that TFF was going to start in on Peter King slash fanfic territory.

Same, except disappointed when I realized it actually wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

One time some kid didn't know any better but he'd heard the name a bunch so he figured he liked Peter Kings column so much that he secretly let him have a baseball. All he got was a "omg can you guys believe how stupid this dumb kid was?!"

• Locked thread