Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

I feel like exhibit A should be Peter King's gloating story of stealing a foul ball from a 10 year old kid at a Spring Training game

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/07/fun-with-klassic-peter-king-the-foul-ball-story.html

quote:

The anger. The rage. I introduced myself to a guard and asked if I could get a foul ball. I walked to get the foul ball. A 7-year-old boy passed through the same gate, without permission, as the guard called after him to come back. I picked up the ball I thought was hit by Miguel Tejada. The kid picked up the ball he thought was hit by Tejada. I’m supposed to convince this kid who snuck through the gate that he doesn’t have the right ball and give him mine?I had permission to get the ball I got. The 7-year-old boy stole his. And I “cheated” him out of the ball? I told the kid: “I’m sure you’ve got the one Tejada hit,” just so he’d feel good about it. I can see how you’d be offended that I tried to make the kid feel good by telling him he had the real ball, because I told what I believed to be a lie, even though it was not a malicious one. Maybe that’s wrong. But is it right to be somewhere you shouldn’t be and, technically, to possess stolen property?

Peter King is beyond my talents at vulgarity to describe for this alone.

quote:

Don't trust anyone who covers the Dolphins for a living

Oh my loving god, this. Manas linked someone I hadn't read earlier today, and the entire article could have been from Finhaven, even down to the 'sourcing' and awful speculation.

Greg Bedard used to cover the Dolphins (Does the Pats now) and is a total rear end in a top hat, but at least he can kind of cover football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

sean10mm posted:

Rick Gosselin, he's a huge rear end in a top hat but every team tells him their picks the day before for some reason so it's the most accurate :airquote: mock draft :airquote: around.

Gosselin and Bob McGinn of JSO are the best beat writers I've read. Peter King can be good when he gets off his sorry rear end and actually reports instead of babbling on nothing, but that almost never happens.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Crazy685 posted:

Armando Salguero, quite possibly the worst beat writer in Miami, was fired from his radio show. He has since been sending nasty private messages on Twitter to people that make fun of him.

https://twitter.com/JaySoCrayZ/status/206824927532302337

Crazy, I mean this with all disrespect. But you could do Salguero's job better than he could. What an unprofessional twat.

The Packers writers are generally good. Jason Wilde isn't very good as a writer and engages in speculation too much, but he is at least a nice guy who can manage an interview fairly well. That puts him above blithering retards like Peter King.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 6, 2012

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Miami beat writers: All shitheads.

quote:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly

The bad thing about aggregator's like @evansilva is they don't know they aren't real journalists.

This was out of the blue on Kelly's twitter yesterday.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

The second half of his twitter quote about the Ravens is incredible as well.

quote:

RT @MBrave13: No Packers, Ravens in there?» I think the Packers caught lightning in a bottle, & I'd tired of the Ravens letting me down.
The Ravens are my adopted team, but they have too much drama going on right now with soooo many players needing to get their $ straight.

Yes. Drama is what will derail the Ravens, not a fluke injury to to their best pass rusher. HE IS TIRED OF HIS ADOPTED TEAM LETTING HIM DOWN!

quote:

Oh and he said Peter King is the best in the business the other day.

Even PK looks like a golden god next to the standard of poo poo that is Omar Kelly's writing. I seriously hope he just meant that PK has good contacts and can write good stories, but that is expecting far too much.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 16, 2012

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

She's usually on point when I see her quoted on twitter. Do the Jets have any other not terrible writers? Cimini is the one I see besides for her, and he's kind of a tool.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/168273546.html?page=3&c=y

Dangerkat posted this in N/V, and it deserves a mention here. The Star Tribune posts an absolutely terrible piece on Chris Cook that handwaves away his crimes. This bothers me more than hacks like Florio stirring poo poo with his rumor mill of a website. This article is blatant apologism for someone who choked his girlfriend out because of a fight. There are a bunch of DV 101 warning flags here that are in the article but get no more than passing mention- the jealously, the violence shown by both parties in the relationship, the victim blaming, the anger issues. The writer instead treats it more like a mistake instead of a serious crime which is infuriating. This wasn't being busted for pot, this was a violent felony that Cook managed to avoid conviction on due to a hell of a defense team and the victim changing her story.

So congratulations, Peter King. It's week 1 of the NFL season and your latte sipping, acala riding rear end isn't the worst thing to happen to sports journalism this week.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 4, 2012

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

No loving way Omar is that delusional

It's Omar Kelly, possibly the worst writer in sports whose name isn't Florio or Shaughnessy. I'd say it is a pretty solid bet that he believes that.

Speaking of Florio! http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/teo-finally-gets-chance-to-focus-on-football/

Speculating about a player's sexuality. This is a man paid god knows how much to write about professional sports.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

A blast from the past! Let's see what everyone's favorite Dolphins writer said about teams last July.

Omar Kelly posted:

RT @MBrave13: No Packers, Ravens in there?» I think the Packers caught lightning in a bottle, & I'd tired of the Ravens letting me down.
The Ravens are my adopted team, but they have too much drama going on right now with soooo many players needing to get their $ straight.

Mmm yes, quality analysis. Let's see what he said recently about Ryan Tannehill:

quote:

Russell Wilson, Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck all showed IT in their rookie season. Dolphins fans only saw IT once from Tannehill, who won one (Seattle) out of six games decided in the fourth-quarter.
You can excuse the absence of IT on his inexperience, lack of weapons, shaky offensive line, poor protection from the tailbacks, his knee injury, lackluster coaching, the fact the defense struggled to put away games where the offense produced a lead. The list of excuses is long, but when you break it all down they simply justify failure because its universally known that good quarterbacks make the players around them better.

Yes. The 'it' factor, fourth quarter comebacks, and willing a team to victory. Judging by how right Omar Kelly usually is, Tannehill is going to lead Miami to the super bowl next season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-what-is-the-upside-for-ryan-tannehill-20130225,0,2299336.story The entire article is magic.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

There's been a lot of really terrible writing done in the aftermath of Percy Harvin's trade to the Seahawks. This piece stands out in particular:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---sources--percy-harvin-s-lack-of-confidence-in-christian-ponder-was-final-straw-for-vikings-205048037.html

It has character assassination, painting Harvin as greedy for wanting a contract extension, and even a random blowing of Russell Wilson worked into the story. I hate sports media so much.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Norv Turner posted:

Mike Silver at yahoo sports put this thing out today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--time-for-roger-goodell-to-flex-muscle--put-mlb-in-its-place-over-baltimore-scheduling-issue-012332056.html

Mike Silver may not be the worst writer covering the NFL, but he's the one I find the most annoying. This article, in which he fellates Roger Goodell as per the norm for his body of work, is no where near his worst, but I doubt anyone here would be able to read it without a spike in blood pressure.

All of the yahoo NFL guys are pretty terrible, but for my money none of them are as irritating as Mike Silver. What an rear end in a top hat.

Counterpoint: Jason Cole. The actual article he wrote (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--tony-romo-latest-cowboy-to-cash-in-big-time-without-delivering-great-results-013440103.html) has a point, but there is so much obnoxious sportswriter and just wins games mixed in that it turns the piece into a resplendent example of douchebaggery and lovely writing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Jason Cole and Evan Silvia might be the two worst national sportswriters out there.

A little bitter because of all of Silva's jabs at the Dolphins? Silva is fine, though I wish he'd editorialize less.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Omar's twitter is amazing. He gets nasty with fans all the time and generally acts like an unprofessional turd. Some highlights!

Omar is a trendsetter:

quote:

I'm into finding who is NEXT. I'll talk about 50, Kanye, Drake, Kendrick before they are the IT guy. Then I'll move on hunting who is NEXT.

Omar breaking down stadium renovations for the little people:

quote:

If everyone in your neighborhood gets a homestead exemption tax rebate but you does that seem fair? How are Dolphins ANY different?

Omar gets angry at someone for not reading his entire timeline before asking a question:

quote:

Explained that earlier today. Check the timeline from AM And I don't repeat myself because I THOROUGHLY explained it earlier. You missed that, probably more you missed.

Omar: Only brings the TRUTH.

quote:

One of the fundamental codes of journalism is telling the truth. Not half truths, or what best strengthens your argument or agenda

All of these gems were within the last day or two. Good lord.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--tim-tebow-blackballed-by-nfl-teams-because-of-cult-like-following--media-frenzy-054940389.html#more-id

I'm sure this got linked in N/V, but it deserves a mention here. Mike Silver writes a piece about Tim Tebow being blackballed because of the media circus surrounding him and his fanbase. Okay, sure. I can buy th-

quote:

And just as I feel compelled to call out the league when it comes to injustices like the dearth of minorities in offensive play-calling roles, the apparent blacklisting of a quarterback who went 7-4 as a starter in 2011 and won a memorable playoff game over the Pittsburgh Steelers doesn't seem kosher to me.

:stare:

Comparing the problem of minority coaching in the NFL to Tim Tebow not getting a job? That is pretty special.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

The worst part of the Silver article is that most of it is pretty on point, and he is right that it sucks for Tebow that things outside of his control are probably going to cost him a job in the NFL. The comparison he uses is just so mind boggling dumb that it drags the rest of the article down.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

What things out of his control?

Genetics and previous coaching?

I'm not claiming that Tebow is any good, but it is his fanbase and the media is a large factor in him not even getting a sniff as a backup. Sports media is terrible, not breaking news.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

http://randompixels.blogspot.com/2013/05/miami-herald-sportswriter-armando.html

L.
O.
L.

Holy gently caress. That second email is nice. Although, this little unprovoked gem from this guy is pretty loving outrageous too

:stare: The idiocy arms race between Omar and Armando for the right to be called the shittiest person covering the Miami Dolphins has heated up.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It blows my mind when people are so mind numbingly unprofessional that they cannot stop bias from entering their stuff.

Ive mentioned it multiple times but Evan Silva is awful about it. He had this weird strange obsession with Jeff Ireland and slams him out of nowhere constantly. Id love to know what Ireland did.

Silva also dumps on the Jets pretty regularly as well. Ireland gets the worst of if though, I agree.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Proof that Yahoo sports writers are hacks, #56546:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--raiders-owner-mark-davis-puts-gm-staff-on-notice-with-firing-of-pr-head-014553646.html

quote:

For one thing, whining about the salary cap is unbecoming and, in this case, a bit disingenuous. Yes, McKenzie inherited somewhat of a mess, but plenty of other men in his position encounter similar challenges and find creative ways to address such issues while remaining competitive.

Yeah, 50 million in dead cap money and being incredibly short on draft picks is more than somewhat of a mess.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Kalli posted:

Hey get ready for some serious hand wringing from some pathetic shitheads over the next few days thanks to Roddy:

Roddy White does need to shut the gently caress up, in fairness.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

The Packers blogger is Rob Demovsky, who was a longterm reporter for the GB Press Gazette. It looks like ESPN is only picking experienced beat writers for this.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 7, 2013

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Pete Prisco, ladies and gentlemen:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/23381962/nfl-can-afford-765m-settlement-but-players-didnt-deserve-it

quote:

I just got off the phone with my attorney. Why?

I had a concussion playing 115-pound football and another in high school. Back then -- not leather helmet days but close -- they just called it getting your bell rung and stuck some nasty crap in front of your nose, and told you to go back into the game.

So I am suing.

Why not? I might get an extra $100,000 or so for my bank account. The precedent has been set. The NFL settled Thursday with a group of players filing concussion lawsuits to the tune of $765 million. So why not go after the high schools? Pop Warner? Colleges? And maybe even those two-hand touch games set up by our dads?

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

I want to take apart that article line by line and let my ranting inner sociology student come out, but the tl;dr version is that the article sucks. His attempt to link football and service in the Army is not the finest piece of writing I've ever seen, I will leave it at that.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It basically boils down to 'the whites will leave and then it'll be just terrible and no one will like it' right? My eyes just slid off the screen half in.

Wealthy and middle class parents won't let their children play the game; he draws the parallels to the Army. It will quickly become a regional game due to that risk. My issues with this are A: The Army draws a large portion of it's recruits from the middle class. (1) B: the racial language used is just dumb (and wrong, see the first source. The military's issue is with not having enough wealthy people, not being too minority/poor/etc). C: The amount of power and money the NFL has. They can use that to promote the game and to play it safely. That is also ignoring the prestige playing football has. It's possible the risk of serious trauma will discourage some families, but his conclusion relies an awful lot on conjecture without much in the way of facts supporting it.

1. http://surface.syr.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1002&context=soc

superaielman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 31, 2013

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Rib: All I can find on that is http://www.defense.gov/news/Dec2005/d20051213mythfact.pdf, which may or may not be accurate. Anyhow, the data in that paper I linked is a little dated, but it matches other things I've read on the subject. I *think* the paper's referring to enlisted, but I'd have to reread it again to be sure. E: Minorities are underepped as officers. http://prhome.defense.gov/RFM/MPP/ACCESSION%20POLICY/PopRep2010/summary/PopRep10summ.pdf

To Chich: Football at the professional level as is skews more towards those in the lower SES brackets. At the HS level, it'd take a pretty catastrophic collapse in support and a massive change in people's attitudes to make his theory come true. Also his use of racial terminology and the comparsion to the army is dumb and offbase as is, which isn't helping my opinion of the article as anything other than care trolling and taking a sociological piss in the wind in the vain hope of being right.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 31, 2013

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Sash: Yeah, that's a problem with recruits in general. It isn't just the US- there's been some stories in China about the rising obesity problem limiting the pool of potential soldiers.

Also: Size difference alone would make a huge factor (Re Steelers/Pats). The Steelers offensive line was just north of 250 pounds per player, that is not going to hold up.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Prisco acting surprised that his column got him attacked is the icing on the poo poo cake. Scott Fujita even attacked him on twitter for it, which is surprising since he's a member of the sports media now. Olbermann and Prisco deserve each other.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

If you were wondering whether Bleacher Report getting picked up by CNN would eventually lead to an increased quality of writing because of an increased budget,
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-bin&hpt=hp_bn8
"The preseason is absolute garbage—that's the adage, and it's mostly true. How the NFL gets away with charging real cash money for a bunch of hopeless cases—who, after the preseason is over, will be driving ice cream trucks—is one of the great travesties of capitalism. 'Merica."

you'd be wrong. And shame on you for thinking that in the first place.

The worst part is that Mike Freeman is a pretty famous columnist, dude's written for a bunch of newspapers and CBS.com. He has no excuse for that garbage.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Someone posted a terrible Patriots writer without quoting Dan Shaughnessy's latest masterpiece? Shameful.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/09/12/not-lot-display-prime-time-foxborough/gxJmWm9ubpPTo1vLL1Hi3H/story.html

quote:

The Patriots staggered and sloshed to a 13-10 victory over the Jets Thursday night. It was virtually unwatchable professional football. In the words of my new favorite Twitter friend, it was like watching a start by Daisuke Matsuzaka.

OK, we won’t. But here’s a little hyperbole for you: The 2013 Patriots look like the worst 2-0 team in the history of football. “The Waltz of the Tomato Cans” is playing over the loudspeaker at Gillette. Again. The locals are artificially inflated by the incompetence of their division opponents. Again.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

http://www.examiner.com/article/tim-tebow-returning-st-louis-stirs-up-tebow-rumors-with-sam-bradford-injury

Mike Silver being terrible. *Claims the Rams have discussed Tim Tebow* *Creates media firestorm, quickly hops on twitter to clarify that it's 'unlikely'*

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

In breaking news: Omar Kelly still terrible. (Re: Martin/Incognito)

@OmarKelly: locker room is unique place. No place like it. If you can’t take a joke, or be chastised by teammate you don’t belong

@OmarKelly: it is important to get the FACTS, and understand all the issues, factors, incidents before formulating a conclusion.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

quote:

@OmarKelly Ive been popular all my life&never understood. Never tried to be popular. Never worked at it. Just always been.

Sample size of those Omar polled: 2. Himself and his mother.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

I saw Evan Silva laugh at him (Unsurprising when the two insult each other pretty regularly), but it says something that other sports writers are breaking ranks to make fun of him.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1882813-mike-shanahan-is-right-to-be-concerned-about-rgiiis-relationship-with-snyder#comments

Article talking abou how hosed up things are in Washington from Mike Freeman, not news. This blurb stood out to me.

quote:

Jones hasn't won a Super Bowl since Jimmy Johnson departed

Holy crap, Mike. That's a pretty bad lapse in factchecking right there.

E: He at least edited it out. Still, good grief.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Ehud from earlier this year posted:

I just saw this tweet and I had to revive this thread.

@OmarKelly: RT @robklopatek: no offense, but if Phins brass are influenced by beat writers that is the epitome of idiocy» they answer to me & my peers.

@OmarKelly: Really think about it? Who is the world asks Ireland, Ross, Philbin,coaches tough questions. Critiques them Challenges them.How many people?

Omar Kelly thinks NFL executives and coaches answer to him hahahahaha

quote:

Omar Kelly on Twitter last night

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 12h

Confession: I just dug my finger in my belly button then smelled the finger. HUGE MISTAKE!

The fourth estate, ladies and gentlemen.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He's such a goddamn caricature of himself at this point holy poo poo

What really makes me sad is that FakeOmarKelly hasn't updated since July.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Beat reporter, superhero, script writer

This is turning into the Omar Kelly Says Stupid poo poo megathread for a reason.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/march/guess-which-columnist-is-trolling-analytics-once-again.html

In news that should shock absolutely no one, Dan Shaughnessy is still a hack.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

While Omar Kelly is the worst, Pete Prisco is special and deserves mention in this thread. What the kind of late middle aged jorts wearing sportswriter seriously picks twitter slapfights with NFL players and other writers? See: His trolling of Arian Foster today and dumb comments on NFL running backs.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Prisco's hatred of bloggers is amazing, considering that most of his career nowadays is centered around shrill trolling on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-mock-draft-20140504,0,7318235.story#GlUAZPwDM31LHWCg

:ughh: Omar.

• Locked thread