Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
African-American Neighborhood Terrorized By Ask Murderer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Their most prophetic one -

Bush: Our Long National Nightmare of Peace And Prosperity Is Over

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bush-our-long-national-nightmare-of-peace-and-pros,464/

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I love this article, and was pretty happy to find out they've done a bunch of similar stories on this guy (Don Turnbee).

Area Man To Hang Out At McDonald's For 20 Minutes Until Lunch Menu Goes Up

His other articles

My favorite Don Turnbee is when he's confused about buffet procedures.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

I don't like this at all. It is encouraging everyone to complain even more about how they're always shorted ingredients. I get that once in a while you have to say something, but there are people who do this every time for every ingredient. The Onion is on the wrong side of this here important issue.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Literally Unbelievably seems intended as a meta humor type of site. It's called Literally Unbelievable. The name lends itself to being a parody. It's like having a site called This poo poo Is True and then a bunch of wannabe-comedians pretend to react like people they want to mock.

Maybe at some point a handful of real idiots found their way to the site and took over but the name never sat right with me as a legit source of ignorance. It's too self aware.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't stop laughing at the first paragraph

quote:

WOOFINGTON, D.C.— Aiming to strengthen yiplomatic relations with the nation of Furuguay, Bo Obama welcomed a visiting doglegation from the overseas country to the White House Thursday for talks on a wide range of vital rufforms.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Did you know that The Onion has actually pulled an article from their archives?

Black Bear Attacks, Rapes, Zookeeper:

Why the hell?

This is one poo poo of a coincidence but just the other day I cracked up in a meeting when I randomly remembered the phrase 'putrid ursine semen'. This is easily in my top five Onions.

Supreme Allah has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Mar 26, 2013

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I use this picture for one of my backgrounds. The article's not funny in the sense of a punchline or being brutal, I just love the writing

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-treasury-cowboy-claims-something-done-spooked-e,29850/

quote:

WASHINGTON—U.S. Treasury Cowboy Earl “Buck” Laramie gathered reporters around his campfire at sundown Monday, rustled them up some biscuits and bacon, and broke the bad news that “Somethin’ or someone done spooked the economy” recently, resulting in the nation’s financial system running wild and free across the high chaparral.

“Sometimes, with your economy, now, there just ain’t no puzzlin’ it out,” Laramie said as he ladled out beans and watched the sun set over the National Mall. “It might be a rattler, it might be the wind rustlin’ the sage, it might be rumors that strategic metal prices are going to spike and drive up the cost of microchips used in cell phones and computers resulting in a marked decrease in consumer spending. Could be anything, really.”

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

So I was just reading this article titled "George W. Bush is smarter than you", and it reminded me of this Onion classic:

Bush Regales Dinner Guests With Impromptu Oratory On Virgil's Minor Works

Bush Finds Error In Fermilab Calculations -

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bush-finds-error-in-fermilab-calculations,1463/

I don't know if this was a whole series or if they just did those two but they're fantastic.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Robert Denby posted:

Back in 2004, The Onion writers put together what may be their best article. Its like the saddest short story ever written.:
Six Hour Bus Ride Endured for Slots

This article guaranteed that I will never go anywhere near Atlantic City for as long as I live. Not too surprising that one of their writers during that era wrote "The Wrestler" and "Big Fan".

That article is printed in basically every collection they published, and it always makes me want a hot dog and a lemonade.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ofaloaf posted:

I still have fond memories of Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over' because I passed it around to some friends a few years back, and they were despairing and angsting before they even noticed it was published in January of 2000, which just made the whole thing even darker and more depressing for them.

When you factor in everything that makes things hilarious and dark and depressing at the same time, this is very likely the finest article the Onion has published. Terrifyingly prescient.

E - this is another one of my faves thats not funny in a joke sense but written in a poetic way that I enjoy - http://www.theonion.com/articles/walmart-opens-store-in-winesburg-ohio,316/

Supreme Allah has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

In that employee's defense that is the worst selection of donuts I've ever seen. You got three powdered plain craps, two non-powdered plain craps, one hunk of whiskey turd in the top right corner, two covered in some sort of coconut or other random nonsense. And even though the article mentions a cruller, I don't see any. There are two that might have some sort of jelly but I wouldn't be surprised if they were blueberry. If someone walked into my office with that box I would slap it out of their hands and stomp on it while they watched and cried like a little bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-clearly-gamed-which-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtl,35710/

I do this to get Wolverine in x-man polls.