Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Trying this Free to play I haven't played EQ in like 12 years.
I am brutally stuck in the newbie zone.I gave this Barbarian guy the key and he just will not open the gate I assume we are trying to head through.
What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

24 hours of double station cash now:

http://www.everquest.com/news/article?month=032012&id=524224

quote:

In celebration of EverQuest's 13th anniversary and transition to Free to Play. Your. Way. We will be offering double Station Cash! Hurry, only valid March 16, 12pm PDT to March 17, 12pm PDT*

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Trying this Free to play I haven't played EQ in like 12 years.
I am brutally stuck in the newbie zone.I gave this Barbarian guy the key and he just will not open the gate I assume we are trying to head through.
What am I missing here?
That happened to one of my accounts as well (it should just zone you into the main area). I ended up deleting the character and starting again.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So I think I have a Lv70 Ranger from back in the day. And some other alts, is this account good for free to play as well?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Peechka posted:

So I think I have a Lv70 Ranger from back in the day. And some other alts, is this account good for free to play as well?

If I read the rules right, Since that character was made before F2P it should be grandfathered in and you can play it without problems.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Trying to decide what my 3 box team will be. Right now its shaman, shadow knight, and bard, does that sound like it will work well?

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Sounds awesome, it's exactly what im getting ready to run once my bard catches up, although there's a chance i'll just use shaman for buffs and box a dps instead of shaman.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So how is this housing thing? As a free player can I get one? Is there some kind of upkeep or is it a one time buy? if there is upkeep and i fail to pay it, does the house and all the items in it get eaten?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Peechka posted:

Your old characters are playable with free to play EQ, although things like shared bank slots and inventory slots 7 and 8 are gone. Your missing stuff will be sent through the new mail system (like what WoW has) and you can put them into the now much bigger bank. Also, I don't know why, but you can't use items marked "prestige". You can put them on your character, but they won't give any stats or damage. I don't know what makes an item prestige, whether because it's raid gear, or because it has augments in it, but my highest level character can't use anything he had equipped from when I logged out eight years ago. It's mostly raid gear filled with augs, although a five platinum weapon I picked up in the bazaar because I was tired of punching things also happened to be prestige. I can understand them locking out whatever the current high end raid stuff is, but the stat inflation from eight years of expansions makes my plane of time level stuff worse than the current expansion's vendor trash. So SoE is still as incompetent as you remember them to be.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
What about the plats? I know I had way more than the maximum allowed with F2P. Is this also grandfathered in? From memory I had thousands of plats.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Peechka posted:

What about the plats? I know I had way more than the maximum allowed with F2P. Is this also grandfathered in? From memory I had thousands of plats.

From the FAQ:

"- Character Coin Limits: The amount of coin you have is unaltered when you lapse your Gold membership. However, you'll be unable to gain any more coin until you reduce your current coin total below the Silver or Free per character limit."

Thousands of plat really ain't much these days, but still plenty to get started with the basics and get your spells, though.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I wasn't planning on picking this up, but I got an email saying that an account I forgot I had is being given Silver membership and all content up through House of Thule. I may poke around unless there's still like fifty million restrictions in place like EQ2.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I got that email too. I played EQ from Kunark until WoW came out, but I think that account got banned some time after I quit. I did come back for one of their progression servers, but I think I made a new account. I don't even remember.

I'm on a Mac. Do I have to play on the Mac server if I don't want to play on Windows? It has me download an .exe file to install. :smith:

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
For the role call I'm: Laids

I'll also be boxing... something. A wizard maybe?

I came back a couple weeks ago and EQ1 is strangely tons of fun. There's so much content and so much to learn. I'm probabably going to hit level 70 tonight. I still feel like a total noob but it's a good feeling.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Tried to buy $5 worth of points, but somehow $25 worth was selected. I wonder what the chances they will fix this is. :sigh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Everquest 1 did the streaming client. Remember when EQ was only on a single CD?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
In as Dakkith, the F2P (for now) rogue.

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

I originally played from some time in 1999 (when I was in 5th grade, jesus) until Luclin came out and only got to like level 47. I tried getting back into EQ by playing on Test like a year ago, but really had no loving idea of what I was doing.

Downloading the game now, I'm entitled to everything except the last two expansions. I don't think I'm missing anything I'll really need for at least the first 60 or 70 levels, is that right?

Think I'm going to roll a bard or a ranger. Despite the millions of alts I've made playing EQ, I've never played a ranger. It's weird to see that they are a viable class now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Brought up the old 65 monk with 12 AAs.

Dropped a few thousand pp on defiant gear in the bazaar, and all my melee stats are already maxed. Bought a pair of cheap defiant weapons that made my old raid gear look like poo poo.

I still get my rear end handed to me pretty heartily though. Definitely have to have a merc to even kill light blues. I hear about 60-70 monks doing things like solo'ing old raid dragons, which I'm not sure how that's possible. I'm guessing as I finish up replacing old gear (except my 41% haste feet, apparently that's still decent) and get some AAs, I'll start to see myself become uber jesus monk.

Some of the FTP restrictions are annoying, and that's at Silver level. I can't sell anything in the bazaar, and I could see the AA cap getting annoying, but I got a lot more go before I reach it. Taking away 2 inventory slots was also annoying. At least a lot of is one-time account-wide purchases to remove. I wish server transfer was a one time freebie for returning players.

Also, the bazaar is pretty funny. I saw some cloak with +a billion stats to everything plus 30% haste selling for 200pp, 60k pp, and all prices in between. I went with the 200pp one.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
I suppose I should pop in the new thread and say I'm in as Benumpian/Jenumpian, the wonder mage twins of doom!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

In as DizzDizz. Gonna roll as an erudite wizard until I put up some cash to afford a class/race combo to the one class that benefits from haste items and swings flashy weapons.

nerox
May 20, 2001

nerox posted:

Tried to buy $5 worth of points, but somehow $25 worth was selected. I wonder what the chances they will fix this is. :sigh:

They did fix it! Hooray!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Not to be intrusive but did anyone have an answer to my House questions or can redirect me to an answer?

Global
Feb 20, 2004

Dizz posted:

Not to be intrusive but did anyone have an answer to my House questions or can redirect me to an answer?

It looks like even free players can have a house based on the F2P matrix.

quote:

Neighborhood-House - House, but no guild halls

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

This seems cool, I'm going to have to check it out!

Sofia Coppola_OD_ fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 27, 2012

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I figured out why I couldn't wear any of my old equipment. Almost all augments are gold subscriber only, including the +6 charisma one I got from a LDoN instance. So having used a full stack of solvents to destroy them all, I'm not longer naked, but still annoyed at having to lose all those augs.

Also, I seem to be having framerate issues in PoK, even though my computer is way too good to be having trouble with a game this old. Are there some settings I am overlooking? I don't see how a computer that runs Battlefield 3 on high and/or ultra settings could have problems with a zone almost a decade old.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I made a Wizard on the goon server, let the game decide my name, and it regrettably came up with Getalliel.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
OP, you said your main was a monk. At 65, with basically no AA, have a quick run down on recommended AAs?

Also, picked up defiant everything. Anything else I should get? Mainly looking to solo explore and kill some old world bosses.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

It was decided in guildchat that the old guildname was terrible, so a new guild was made named "Ascending Fearboners." It seems much better. Send a tell to Pullox to get invited.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
You foolish fools! If you were going to remake the guild, it should have been named <FYGM>. That guild name is the best guild name.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Not Grover posted:

You foolish fools! If you were going to remake the guild, it should have been named <FYGM>. That guild name is the best guild name.

Can you really complain about the name "Ascending Fearboners"? It is basically perfect.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Correction: anyone can invite.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ascending Fearboners is complete, only people left in the old guild now are ones that were AFK and Facic even though he came up with the name. GH is up, guild bank is full as poo poo, please take stuff.

May our Fearboners Ascend at Godspeed, goons

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Extremely nice OP!

I am looking at the features/restrictions for Free and Silver accounts, and I feel like I must be missing something. I have never played EQ before, so I am admittedly naive, but I am not seeing anything that makes me want to spend the $5 to upgrade to a Silver account.

Can anyone enlighten me on any useful benefits there are for Silver over Free? Or is SoE simply not good at incentives? Because it seems like SoE has put all their eggs in the subscription basket and there's no way in hell I am going to sub EQ1 for $15/month.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

We've pretty much determined anything below Gold is pure poo poo and not even worth trying. The restrictions are so severe you're basically useless

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The class choice is incredibly basic, 3/4 races are nightblind (though this probably does not matter worth a poo poo anymore) and 250 AA in a game where you can have 2k AA and still be slightly gimpy is pretty hosed up. Not to mention the plat restrictions. Can you even buy the gear in the PoK past like...30ish with that much plat? Baffling really.

Still gonna play for the ol' nostalgia factor for a while but sub? Eh.

Plus the constant popups are irritating. Tabbed out to two new firefox tabs telling me to go gold or silver.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 17, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

You're also stuck with only 4 inventory slots, restricted to the ultra lovely mercenaries, can't use augs or most higher level gear. The plat limit means you're lucky to find stuff to buy even at 30. It's really terrible

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Okay, no more remaking channels and guild now please. With every remake, we inevitably lose people. :(

ponzicar posted:

Also, I seem to be having framerate issues in PoK, even though my computer is way too good to be having trouble with a game this old. Are there some settings I am overlooking? I don't see how a computer that runs Battlefield 3 on high and/or ultra settings could have problems with a zone almost a decade old.

EQ's engine is a bit wonky, lots of players means huge slowdown, so PoK can just be a bit choppy, even on a high-end computer.

The main things to immediately disable under advanced video settings are Advanced Lighting and Shadows. Those two look nice, but smash your framerate to bits.

xZAOx posted:

OP, you said your main was a monk. At 65, with basically no AA, have a quick run down on recommended AAs?

Also, picked up defiant everything. Anything else I should get? Mainly looking to solo explore and kill some old world bosses.

I'm afraid I can't remember it well at that level, but some I can think of (some might require higher levels than what you're at):

Innate Run Speed 5, plus 3 ranks extra in your class AA
Hastened Death: reduces FD timer
Imitate Death: Insta-memblur FD
Hastened Mend: reduces Mend timer
Critical Mend: increases chance of getting a 50% mend
Stunning Kick: Extra attack that stuns and does good damage at higher levels
Master's Hastened Combination + Hastened Stunning kick: Reduces SK timer
Kick Mastery, Stonefoot and other kick/flying kick enhancing AAs
Extended Ingenuity: Increases your own buff timers
Zan Fi's Whistle: Dps buff
All sorts of dps AAs such as: Veteran's Wrath, Enhanced Aggression, Burst of Power, Technique of Master Wu, Rapid Strikes, Ambidexterity, Ferocity, Sinister Strikes, Strikethrough, and more

At level 65, don't spend more than 500p per item. You'll find a lot of non-Defiant items between level 65 and 75 at obscene prices, but they're not worth it. Stay the course until level 80, then invest in decent lvl 80 gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Details for the earlier housing question. You support your housing by buying days/weeks of upkeep at a time, really cheap, and you can use nearly all of the versions of alternate currency in the game too.

Any property that lapses on it's upkeep will be completely fine for some amount of time (a month?), then everything will be boxed up and mailed to you through the parcel system.

I'm Usli/Puga in game. Men with ladytoons represent.

The337th fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 17, 2012