Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

rally posted:

I’m on Aradune still. My necro is named geebsy , hit me up.

Excellent, my necro is named Fartso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MooselanderII posted:

Excellent, my necro is named Fartso.

Reported

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I've been playing on Aradune and enjoying it. Hit 50 on a SK (Fliss) and working on Greenmist to keep myself busy.

After playing on Selo then FV for awhile everything feels so slow. At least the population feels solid.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I've been having a lot of fun running a private server. It was incredibly easy to set one up. I'm experimenting with boxing. I have a few groups going, and I hope to run a raid at some point. I love being able to tweak all of the server settings. I made loot drop off some named critters reliably, no item/xp loss on death, max skills & free spells on level, sped up respawn times, and removed defiant drops. I stopped leveling at 51, and will work my way through classic content before I move on to expansion content. We'll see how far I get before I burn out/give up.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
After falling back into old habits and having a pc that can run it again I reinstalled EQ and started up again on Aradune. I got to the point where I need to research spells and I end up going to freeport and what the hell happened to the place. Its huge.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Yiggy posted:

After falling back into old habits and having a pc that can run it again I reinstalled EQ and started up again on Aradune. I got to the point where I need to research spells and I end up going to freeport and what the hell happened to the place. Its huge.

Freeport, common lands and lavastorm got redesigned. They're bad. North freeport doesn't exist anymore. Most things you want are in west freeport, some are in east.

Server is cool and good.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I stumbled back on to live and just wanted to share: if you need to pl an 85 and you have a 115 in even remotely modern group gear, lxanvom in tbm is as good as frontier mountains and never camped but unless you do progression your hp and mana is capped at 80% and one of the mobs puts up a debuff that blocks mount blessing for some reason

Edit: also lots of fairly expensive collectibles drop like crazy there

blatman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 25, 2020

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I'm not even sure if you can lose the 80% cap with 1 group progression. A friend and I were doing that place earlier this year and we did what we thought would give us full hp and nada. I think at the time, we came to the conclusion that it was bugged and might need raid progression to actually work, but it's been a few months and I can't remember exactly why we thought that.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I have it blocked but i did every group thing in tbm, it probably requires the whole drat expansion and id say dont bother

edit: lol dec 8 release date for the expansion just announced this is gonna be a disaster

blatman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 25, 2020

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

pyromance posted:

I'm not even sure if you can lose the 80% cap with 1 group progression. A friend and I were doing that place earlier this year and we did what we thought would give us full hp and nada. I think at the time, we came to the conclusion that it was bugged and might need raid progression to actually work, but it's been a few months and I can't remember exactly why we thought that.

you have to do the Crypt of Sul progression quests as well as the Crypt of Decay ones.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

I've started playing again after a long, long break - the last expansion I played was a bit of PoP. I tried live at first, but the sheer number of changes was a bit much, so I'm trying Agnarr now and would love some company (or, since I'm like level 2, advice on a different server is also an option).

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Agnarr is very low population and will have a non existent pick up group leveling scene. This is true of all mature TLP servers, but Agnarr is particularly old and niche. You can still have a good time there with the right mindset

I think you'll have a better experience on Aradune or Rizlona because they're the newest servers and odds of finding leveling groups are highest. You'll still have to do work to make and find groups because the servers are six months old and top heavy.

P99 is an option that's popular but I prefer these TLPs for the much quicker pace, instanced raids and tons of other quality of life features.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Definitely recommend starting on whatever the most recent TLP is if you want any chance of getting a group while leveling.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Aradune is probably better than Rizlona at this point. Being in Velious, there will still be leveling going on, especially as people ramp up for The Deep PL crews. Rizlona has a high boxing population, whereas Aradune is limited to 2 logins per IP, so no more than 2 boxing, which was meant to encourage social interaction.

They’ll be in PoP in a few months and you can have the whole nostalgia kick that comes with it. I’d stay away from Agnarr entirely.

If you want the guided post-PoP experience, Mangler is still quite healthy with a decent leveling population still. We’re mid-70s era, where GoD is trivialized, Omens raids are for gearing alts now, and Depths is 7 weeks out. I brought up a Druid alt about 3 weeks ago and it’s basically peaked on pre-dkp gear, so I need to wait until my guild moves off raids to start farming those for incremental upgrades.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

Aradune is probably better than Rizlona at this point. Being in Velious, there will still be leveling going on, especially as people ramp up for The Deep PL crews. Rizlona has a high boxing population, whereas Aradune is limited to 2 logins per IP, so no more than 2 boxing, which was meant to encourage social interaction.

They’ll be in PoP in a few months and you can have the whole nostalgia kick that comes with it. I’d stay away from Agnarr entirely.

If you want the guided post-PoP experience, Mangler is still quite healthy with a decent leveling population still. We’re mid-70s era, where GoD is trivialized, Omens raids are for gearing alts now, and Depths is 7 weeks out. I brought up a Druid alt about 3 weeks ago and it’s basically peaked on pre-dkp gear, so I need to wait until my guild moves off raids to start farming those for incremental upgrades.

On Aradune PoP is over 5 months out, we just hit Velious. 2 more months of that and 3 of Luclin.

This does give plenty of time to level to 60 though.

Newbies zones are quite busy, especially Field of Bone or anything around Unrest.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

Understood, and thanks for the info. I’ll roll over to Aradune.

Next question - do I need to box to be successful/viable? I’ve got two systems I can use, but I’ve never been very good at trying to run two characters at the same time. Is there a good combo where the second character is basically a heal/buff tagalong? I’ve heard both good and bad things about MNK/SHM, and everyone raves about ENC/CLR, but I’m not sure how active each character in the pairing needs to be to be effective.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

Understood, and thanks for the info. I’ll roll over to Aradune.

Next question - do I need to box to be successful/viable? I’ve got two systems I can use, but I’ve never been very good at trying to run two characters at the same time. Is there a good combo where the second character is basically a heal/buff tagalong? I’ve heard both good and bad things about MNK/SHM, and everyone raves about ENC/CLR, but I’m not sure how active each character in the pairing needs to be to be effective.

You don't need to box. Concentrating on a single character is totally viable as long as you are willing to group. This is what I usually do.
Any non-pure DPS class of course will find an easier time getting a group. (and monks are in demand either way)
Tanks, CC and healers are always bread and butter classes in demand.

Enchanter / Cleric is godmode through POP, after that charm is less usable. You need FAST reflexes our the chanter will squish frequently though.
During the POP era though it's literally the best thing you can do.

Monk or Shadow Knight / Shaman is amazing as well.

Druid is not a bad 2nd box choice either, since it drastically cuts down on travel time.
I have a good friend that did druid/mage a lot and it worked, at least through the pop/god era.

I'm currently figuring out which to level as a side account for my SK main, it's either a shaman or bard. (Bards are good boxes as well)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Caveat, don’t box if you don’t actively *want* to box.

That said...

The best answer is going to partially depend on what you want to run as a main. For instance: mage doubles really well with Druid, but if you went necro, I’d recommend bard instead. Both are pet classes, but the complimentary things that druids and bards bring makes a difference. That’s not to say mage/bard is bad or necro/Druid is bad, but you’d have better synergies with the original matchups.

If you want mindless fun that you can hotkey automate, sk/pal/monk with shaman is pretty good.

If you want casters, the aforementioned mage/Druid or necro/bard are great.

Warrior/cleric is super solid with a couple of item pickups (truncheon of doom for slow proc, anklesmasher for snare)

Ranger can pair well with shaman or cleric. (In PoP, ranger is basically autofire bow and go, so you can focus on cleric healing, which no guild will turn down.)

Caster/priest you almost can’t go wrong (except for wiz/shm, or ench/shm, that would be wrong for 2 box combo, but so desirable for guilds.)

Hard mode: Paladin/bard, enchanter/Druid, rogue/anything

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Second caveat for any server other than Aradune: two boxing leads to three boxing. Three boxing leads to four boxing. Four boxing leads to six boxing. Six boxing... leads to the dark side.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

blatman posted:

edit: lol dec 8 release date for the expansion just announced this is gonna be a disaster

How bad is it in beta? I want the gory details.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Isn't that pretty standard for them though? I'm pretty sure that for a while now they haven't announced things until like a month before release.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I’m thinking that monk/shaman looks appealing - from a race perspective, it looks like the XP penalties are gone, but I’d still rather play human/barbarian (mainly because I know the lowbie zones in Greater Faydark/Crushbone better than any others, and it’s easier to get there).

To that end, if I run a barbarian down from Halas to level with a monk, are there places that I can get shaman skills and spells from? Or should I run a monk to Halas to start leveling (and same question re: monk guild master)?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

There are a couple features on these servers that greatly simplify things. First of all every character at level 5 can use an Origin ability that takes them back to their starting city guild hall. Second there is an in game parcel system to freely and instantly send items or plat between characters. The parcel vendors are at the bank in every town more or less.

Halas and Qeynos in general is pretty sparse for leveling. Not many people around and all repeatable xp quests were reduced massively so gnoll fangs aren't really worthwhile. Freeport monk start and get the barb out there by asking for a port from Surefall is probably the way to go.

Qeynos monk and barb shaman could easily do 1-15 or 20 at blackburrow and the warrens but it will be pretty quiet

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Solarin posted:

There are a couple features on these servers that greatly simplify things. First of all every character at level 5 can use an Origin ability that takes them back to their starting city guild hall. Second there is an in game parcel system to freely and instantly send items or plat between zcharacters. The parcel vendors are at the bank in every town more or less.

Halas and Qeynos in general is pretty sparse for leveling. Not many people around and all repeatable xp quests were reduced massively so gnoll fangs aren't really worthwhile. Freeport monk start and get the barb out there by asking for a port from Surefall is probably the way to go.

Qeynos monk and barb shaman could easily do 1-15 or 20 at blackburrow and the warrens but it will be pretty quiet

This. As well, there's a shared bank, so you can always roll a new character, buy spells, put them in the bank and then grab them on the main. Also the dot spell vendors in innothule are beta neutral so any can use them.

Shaman monk is a great combo that does well in nearly every setting.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

jetz0r posted:

How bad is it in beta? I want the gory details.

honestly I posted that because it just sort of feels like if this were tov, it would have been like the beta ending about 2 weeks early just from the general vibe of the sorts of broken stuff even though none of it is super major yet

what's worth noting is last time I looked, they corrected(?) for how easily you can move around tov by adding mobs that see through sos and lovely traps respectively to 2 of the end zones which honestly i'm fine with because tov you could basically run around completely uninhibited if you had double invis as long as you didn't run into the wrong rare. also last I looked, the group weapons were better than the ultra-rares from tov which are the same ones dropping in cov so if you've got any weapons sell them immediately (not that the ultra rares were that good for several classes because they seem to all lack sympathetic procs)

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Dudes on Aradune: what are you in game names? Mine is Fartso.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

My enchanter is named Librarian and is probably the character I spend the most time on. I can hook up anyone starting here with a decent weapon just let me know.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

My shaman is Jenifleur, and my monk is Loganix - thanks to a very nice druid, I got the shaman to Greater Faydark to level with the monk, but it's slow going. I'm looking forward to doing Crushbone again. :)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Parceled a couple of my old weapons to your shaman. Go ahead and vendor if you don't want em. The early levels can be surprisingly rough before you hit the range where groups are more common

Anybody else needing a starter weapon on Aradune hit me up

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

People can send Akaylas a tell if they need a port or maybe Oggwhomp for a weapon or a potion or whatever if they're brave enough.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

does anyone remember when they had updated human player models on the test server for awhile? they looked sorta like discount drakkin with really long animations, I used to have screenshots but they're long gone

also does anyone remember that extremely lovely luclin model animation revamp that went live for like two days a million years ago or was that a fever dream

edit: or how about that really janky unfinished plane of mischief revamp that went live by accident on a handful of servers for like 5 hours back in GoD era or so where you got a "Pot of Mischief" https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=50182 and had to farm quest items for some reason that noone discovered, it had those flying monkeys in the forest area but most people saw them as naked human dudes

blatman fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 29, 2020

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

Solarin posted:

Parceled a couple of my old weapons to your shaman. Go ahead and vendor if you don't want em. The early levels can be surprisingly rough before you hit the range where groups are more common

Anybody else needing a starter weapon on Aradune hit me up

Got them - thank you! They are miles beyond the cracked staff I was using. :)

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

DisgracelandUSA posted:

People can send Akaylas a tell if they need a port or maybe Oggwhomp for a weapon or a potion or whatever if they're brave enough.

Wait, are you oggwhomp?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

or maybe Oggwhomp for a weapon or a potion or whatever if they're brave enough.

I can now say that this is an understatement.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

rally posted:

Wait, are you oggwhomp?

Oggwhomp Smash posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:allears:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hahaha that’s great

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Daybreak acquired by EG7:
https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/01/everquest-studio-daybreak-games-acquired-by-eg7/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

The numbers behind the game were revealed too, which I don't believe has been done for a very long time. This is a copy paste:

quote:

EQ1 according to the presentation has 82k Monthly Active Users, with 66k of those being members.

EQ1 has made approximately $1 billion in lifetime bookings.

YTD EQ1 has made $11.5 million in bookings second highest revenue, but is the most profitable by EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Deprectiation, and Amortization).

The average user spends $37.5.

21.2% of the bookings are from accounts at less than 1 year. (<1month: 6.5%, <3 months: 6.4%, 3-12 months: 8.3%)

I included the link for the presentation below and the DBG/EQ1 stuff begins on page 11.
https://www.enadglobal7.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/EG7-Investor-Presentation-Dec-2020-Acquires-Daybreak-Games.pdf

I was surprised at the subscription numbers, the game is doing pretty well in that respect.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Node posted:

The numbers behind the game were revealed too, which I don't believe has been done for a very long time. This is a copy paste:

I was surprised at the subscription numbers, the game is doing pretty well in that respect.

Go find me the numbers for The Realm Online

Fake edit: Holy poo poo, it's still around, and you can play for free!