Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Any idea when you guys might do Seventh Hammer? I'd love to come along in case he drops that awesome dagger!
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Dakkith - Luclin
61st Rogue of The Tribunal, Keeper of the Peace
RP Anti-PK Anti-Troll

Edit: Because it was mentioned in /gu chat, but not posted yet...Ascending Angels guild website: http://ascendingangelsguild.blogspot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Just want to say I've been having a blast playing this. There's a decent amount of grouping going on most nights at all level ranges. Having 2-4 people + mercs makes for amazing exp and is extremely fun. Spent the last two nights grinding AA exp at 65.

I'm Xasraik in game (65 Beastlord). If you're around my level and want to grind AA or EXP I'll be with Zorl (65 Rogue) grinding AAs in BoT tonight. Around 6-7 PM PST for a few hours.

With 3 people and 3 mercs it's 10-12% AA a kill at 65. Most kills take 15-30 seconds with constant pulls.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xZAOx posted:

You're correct for getting into the 7th hammer - but according to ZAM, if the monk isn't the one who has it, then it won't spawn the epic version.

The normal version can drop the piece too though, which would get me in, but according to Monkly Business, if the monk isn't flagged, he won't be able to loot the corpse.

So basically, they want to PoJ trails to be part of the monk epic. Along with tailoring and pottery being around 130. Baking needs to be up there too, but haven't seen a trivial on it yet. Weee!

PoJ trials are super trivial these days, probably won't take more than an hour to knock them all out.

Scurvard
Feb 19, 2007

gepgepgep posted:

Edit: Because it was mentioned in /gu chat, but not posted yet...Ascending Angels guild website: http://ascendingangelsguild.blogspot.com/

Oh man! This website is precious. We gotta make one too, with animated angel gifs and everything.

I saw this cool guy this morning:

Play EQ and get down wit da clown y'all!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should post my character info for this thread. I'm Dino Mite, lvl 56 necromancer. Let's team up!!

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Here's a good one for the OP.

Here's my shameful secret.

Level 61 with 12 AA.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Scurvard posted:

Oh man! This website is precious. We gotta make one too, with animated angel gifs and everything.

I saw this cool guy this morning:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should post my character info for this thread. I'm Dino Mite, lvl 56 necromancer. Let's team up!!

I hosed with him for little while last week. He was actually pretty nice and then I stopped and felt bad. :smith:

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

meat gnome posted:

I hosed with him for little while last week. He was actually pretty nice and then I stopped and felt bad. :smith:

I hate myself for saying this, but he's a pretty decent dude.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
So is eqplayers gone? I was trying to search for some old characters there but it just redirects to https://www.everquest.com and I don't see anyway to get to the eqplayers site from there

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So my group of 3, my brother, a buddy and I all got to the mid 60's with our noobs as of last night so I though I was comfortable enough and I would take out my 70Ranger that I have not played since like 2006. He also has about 100AA.

So a few questions If I might. Its been so long I was wondering what AA are most important to have. I have the endless quiver, some of the combat ferocity and archery Mastery 3 along with some others.

I have also heard of this headshot ability. Is this still viable today? Should I spend the AAs to get this ranked up? I have been searching around the net but info is sketchy. There are guides that have the ranger pulling tons of mobs and using some AOE bow spell to headshot every mob for quick AA. But I have heard rumors that this got nerfed?

The places that I used to go for infos does not seem to exist anymore. Like Rangers Glade and EQ Outriders no longer work.

Also we had a discussion amongst ourselves as to the viability of just using a straight up bow for dmg in a group vs melee. Without parsing data it seems to me like melee still out damages the bow. The bow I have is pretty decent, its like 26/20 so its pretty fast and it hits pretty hard, I just think melee is better. They all seem to think I should be doing the bow thing.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Well, that didn't go too well...

I made it to Sunder-rock? The hot zone. I'm a 65 Wizard, so grabbed a Tier III Warrior Merc, and tried to take on a blue con there.

Got my rear end handed to me.

Do I need a better Tier Merc?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Scurvard posted:

Hah! I had said something in guild about that guy too.

Ckwiesr posted:

Level 61 with 12 AA.

Yeah, mine was 120-something days played, at 65 with 12 AA.

Peechka posted:

I have also heard of this headshot ability. Is this still viable today? Should I spend the AAs to get this ranked up? I have been searching around the net but info is sketchy. There are guides that have the ranger pulling tons of mobs and using some AOE bow spell to headshot every mob for quick AA. But I have heard rumors that this got nerfed?

I don't know dick about rangers, but I know I've heard several times, maybe even in the OP, about Headshot for rangers being awesome.

Mewcenary posted:

I made it to Sunder-rock? The hot zone. I'm a 65 Wizard, so grabbed a Tier III Warrior Merc, and tried to take on a blue con there.

I don't feel alone! People talk about solo'ing dark blues, and I've started to get some AA rounded up, got the best merc a silver can get (only A5), and full defiant gear - still get my rear end handed to me by dark blues. I can solo a light blue, but not efficiently. My post is only to say, no, it's not just you that sucks. It's just me and you.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Mewcenary posted:

I encountered the same problem, best to group up for those zones.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Node posted:

Could a 92 paladin and 95 shaman beat The CPU fight in the mech guardian anniversary group task? It seems pretty tough with the four adds that spawn every 20% and hit for 7k.

Simple trick to this, either use a merc or pet tank for the CPU, if all actual players stay back and range dps the adds will never aggro.

e: whoop, kodaji pretty much said this.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Bemis posted:

I encountered the same problem, best to group up for those zones.

Thanks. Mm, easier said than done, as I was the only player in the zone. This was on Cazic, mind you.

mecca
Apr 26, 2007
jinkies!

Peechka posted:

Headshot AA gives you a chance to kill lower level mobs instantly using autofire. The damage and mob level you can use it on depends on the AA rank you have. What you're thinking of is rounding up a bunch of mobs, casting aoe root on them, then tabbing through the mobs to headshot them all.

This has all the info you need if you want to get started as well as a list of level and AA rank needed for certain camps. http://bowandarrow.org/#/headshot-guide/4539002078

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Headshot is still godlike, but a lot less so until the 80+ level ranges.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Peechka posted:

So my group of 3, my brother, a buddy and I all got to the mid 60's with our noobs as of last night so I though I was comfortable enough and I would take out my 70Ranger that I have not played since like 2006. He also has about 100AA.

So a few questions If I might. Its been so long I was wondering what AA are most important to have. I have the endless quiver, some of the combat ferocity and archery Mastery 3 along with some others.

The places that I used to go for infos does not seem to exist anymore. Like Rangers Glade and EQ Outriders no longer work.

Also we had a discussion amongst ourselves as to the viability of just using a straight up bow for dmg in a group vs melee. Without parsing data it seems to me like melee still out damages the bow. The bow I have is pretty decent, its like 26/20 so its pretty fast and it hits pretty hard, I just think melee is better. They all seem to think I should be doing the bow thing.

When I played some years ago eq/am3 was a better dps for group until I was outfitted in time gear/weapons only then did meele out dps archery. I think I used a stonewood compound bow during this time. At that time archery was always pretty buggy and wouldnt count shots unless you were lined up correctly with the mob and rangers cried constantly about wanting archery dps to far outshine meele due to them wanting to be leoglas while most higher geared rangers wanted to increase our meele and damage mitigation. Bascially what im saying is i dont know but a 26/20 bow sounds pretty lovely compared to ratios that were around 6 years ago I would assume there are better ones out there now.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Scob posted:

When I played some years ago eq/am3 was a better dps for group until I was outfitted in time gear/weapons only then did meele out dps archery. I think I used a stonewood compound bow during this time. At that time archery was always pretty buggy and wouldnt count shots unless you were lined up correctly with the mob and rangers cried constantly about wanting archery dps to far outshine meele due to them wanting to be leoglas while most higher geared rangers wanted to increase our meele and damage mitigation. Bascially what im saying is i dont know but a 26/20 bow sounds pretty lovely compared to ratios that were around 6 years ago I would assume there are better ones out there now.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=69892

Here is the bow I have. Im assuming its pretty good.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Unless there is some extraordinary difference in the quality of your bow versus your weapons, you'll only want to range attack while using the archery discipline on burns now. Expect to melee for your normal dps needs.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I'm coming back to this game after a long hiatus. In as a shaman named Headphones and a monk named Stapler.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Peechka posted:

Also we had a discussion amongst ourselves as to the viability of just using a straight up bow for dmg in a group vs melee. The bow I have is pretty decent, its like 26/20 so its pretty fast and it hits pretty hard, I just think melee is better.

1) For rangers, the basic basics are EQ and AM3 if you want to use your bow at all, ever. Melee wise, it's vital to pick up Ambidexterity and Sinister strikes, then I would max out Combat Fury and Weapon Affinity asap. If you feel like you might have to do any tanking, I would pick up Combat Agility/Stability as well. It doesn't hurt to have more HP, so pick up Natural Durability. From there, I would invest in the spell masteries (Spell Casting Reinforcement/Spell Casting Mastery) and then nuke and heal crit aa's. If you want to bow it up, invest in trick shots, and nuke crits as well.

2) Headshot is boss mode. If you want to do it before the 80's, it will be a little bit harder/slower, because at 73, you the the aoe root/snare that makes it a step easier, but you will only have Hail of Arrows to "bow nuke" with, and at 86 you get Called Shots, which is similar but on a different timer. This means that you will just have to rely on plinking away at regular bow speed for headshot to fire, which really is fine if you have any patience; the spells do 4x bowshots on the targets, thus giving you a way to try to force a Headshot to fire off quicker. The nerf was brutal, but Headshot is still very viable. They made it so that Headshot will only fire on a mob you have targetted, so no more AoE Headshotting for 20aa per pull. Still, though, you can grind out xp probably faster than anything else you try to do solo or in a group. So, viable? Yes. Difficult? Also yes.

3) The short answer is that melee is better unless you invest heavily into bow. It takes less aa's to make melee better than bow, so most rangers generally go that route. I did melee aa's (a long rear end time) before bow ones, but you could do it the other way if you felt so inclined.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007
I decided to restart my Shadowknight, Xantarr, on Luclin while I wait for Vildeor to get out of Test Limbo.

If you are making a new character you can either pay the buy 1500 station cash to get the race/class you want for one slot and still have 450SC left over or buy one month of gold for 1499 SC.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
Posting for guild invite. Name is Imastupidbaby.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Vomik posted:

So is eqplayers gone? I was trying to search for some old characters there but it just redirects to https://www.everquest.com and I don't see anyway to get to the eqplayers site from there

They're redoing the site. If you go to everquest.com one of the selections under players is "Characters". If you scroll over it it says in progress. No word on when it's going to be finally finished though.

Hopefully it's not as buggy as the last one where I couldn't see what was in my bags and half my characters wouldn't even show up in searches.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
In as Tregos the mighty mighty Beastlord.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Oh poo poo Flarestar, Vanguard's going F2P in a couple months. You know what we must do.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Oh poo poo Flarestar, Vanguard's going F2P in a couple months. You know what we must do.

Keep your heresay talk out of our EQ thread! But yeah, I noticed it too hehe. I don't think I have enough time to do multiple MMOs! I want to play some EQ2 as well, but right now EQ has me tight in it's grips.

Being back at work sucks. I got lucky in that my work laptop died on Friday right when it went F2P, but I was back at work yesterday. So I'm back to just a few hours a day of playtime. Thanks for running me through the PoJ trials yesterday, everyone!

Got my combines done, ready for the last 3 fights and I'll have a 1.5, woo!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

THE DAY I took off of work to grind out 100 more AA in the hole from 6am to 2pm, and got buffed before I logged out and collected exp potions, the servers are down :smith:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

lemonslol posted:

THE DAY I took off of work to grind out 100 more AA in the hole from 6am to 2pm, and got buffed before I logged out and collected exp potions, the servers are down :smith:

You're fixedgear right? That sucks man. Maybe your interview will go better at least.

Although the server status page says it's up: http://www.soe.com/status/

Does EQ have a typical patch day, like WoW does? How bad is the downtime typically, and how often is it?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just came back to check some stuff out and joined the guild but I have a question about leveling. It seems way quicker to just grind out mobs than to actually quest at low levels. Am I right in this? I did the tutorial stage with a rogue and it took all morning yesterday and then I made a wizard, skipped to CR, and proceded to match my rogues level with a couple of hours.

So basically I'm asking if it's faster just to grind or should I be following some sort of golden path of leveling like they have in EQ2 now? I went to some of the old world zones like BB Mtns to do an armor quest and I was the only person even in the zone. Well, me and the crickets, and yet PoK and CR seem incredibly populated.

I stopped playing right before SoL and never made it to veilous so you can basically assume I'm a complete noob when answering. :)

EDIT: Incoming nerd memory: I used to log out most of the time in a certain house in Oggok that was empty except for a stone slab for a bed. This was WAY before player housing, but to me that was my Ogre's home. After going out to kill Lockjaw or chase the Ancient Cyclops with my guild I would make my way back home and camp. I fired this bad boy up and Ogglor was still in his home sitting there waiting for an adventure to go on. They should allow a one time free transfer for returning players since he was on Vallon Zek which is now just Zek. I played what seems like forever with that guy and he's only level 33 (seriously like 2 years between him, a necro and a paladin). Level 33 is like a day or two of playing now.

EDIT2: It's down right now for a game update not just daily. It will be back up in one hour if nothing explodes too much.

Patch notes: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=184617

And finally here's the nerdiest idea ever. Now that eq1 and 2 are both F2P I can have Ogglor eq1 (ogre warrior) on my left monitor and Ogglor eq2 (wood elf monk) on my right monitor and play them at the same time. I'm going to need another monitor when eqNext comes out. :v:

For anyone thinking of coming back or never even played, give it a try. The players seem incredibly friendly so far. I got a port to BB Mtns from a druid and she asked what quest I had there. I told her I just wanted to run around my old stomping grounds, visit Kaladim in its heyday (before the damned kobolds and bugbears take over), and maybe go play a game of chess. She then said "oh... you just came back. Welcome back to Norrath" sowed me then ported out. I think they are just happy to see the servers alive again.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 22, 2012

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If you log back into an old account, which is now the "silver" free to play, what happens to your backpacks since you're limited to 6 or whatever? I know my characters on Zek have all their slots filled, as well as bags in the bank.

Granted, 90% of the stuff they have are items that "Oh I think this is probably going to be used in a quest, since its MAGIC/LORE/NO DROP and won't sell to a vendor, so I might as well keep it!"

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't remember where I read it but someone will fill you in. For now I'll give you the short answer, the items are safe. I read that you have to go somewhere to get them back (maybe the bank?).

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I somehow have 1000 station cash. Is it worth buying that 20 slot 100% WR box for 800 SC off the market place? Is there anything like that in the game?

Is there a list somewhere of everything you can buy in the market place besides in game?

Vomik fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 22, 2012

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
See the parcel dude. It's in the new patch notes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Medullah posted:

If you log back into an old account, which is now the "silver" free to play, what happens to your backpacks since you're limited to 6 or whatever? I know my characters on Zek have all their slots filled, as well as bags in the bank.

Granted, 90% of the stuff they have are items that "Oh I think this is probably going to be used in a quest, since its MAGIC/LORE/NO DROP and won't sell to a vendor, so I might as well keep it!"

When in PoK, bring up your map (m / backspace, I think by default), hit the "Find" button, sort by the left column, and scroll down until you see a "Parcels and...". Double click him, and you get a glowing path right to him.

Speaking of lovely poo poo of poo poo, I went through half my bank two days ago, destroying poo poo. I'd recommend just searching everything up on ZAM that you're unsure about - I almost destroyed my Mark of Execution, only to find out it was for PoJ keying. At the time I didn't even know I needed it, but I needed it yesterday. Turns out it'd have been easy to be replace, but still, time saved.

Vomik posted:

I somehow have 1000 station cash. Is it worth buying that 20 slot 100% WR box for 800 SC off the market place? Is there anything like that in the game?

Is there a list somewhere of everything you can buy in the market place besides in game?

I'd say no. Then again, I'm against paying money for in-game items period. In the OP he mentions how you can get like a 14 slot 100% WR light bag for like 5k. Yesterday someone finished all of the anniversary quests for some year and got like a 26-slot bag or something crazy.

Are the anniversary quests always up?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

xZAOx posted:

I'd say no. Then again, I'm against paying money for in-game items period. In the OP he mentions how you can get like a 14 slot 100% WR light bag for like 5k. Yesterday someone finished all of the anniversary quests for some year and got like a 26-slot bag or something crazy.

Are the anniversary quests always up?

Well I wouldn't be paying any money for the items as I already have the station cash. I think it is on sale from 1500 to 800, but didn't know if there was something better to get

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Another merc slot is always handy.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Vomik posted:

Well I wouldn't be paying any money for the items as I already have the station cash. I think it is on sale from 1500 to 800, but didn't know if there was something better to get

True, but I guess I'd stick to stuff that you 100% can't get anything like in game (so even if you couldn't get a bag that awesome in game, the point is you can still get bags). That's just my philosophy though with in-game purchases.

If you're a silver account or whatever, merc slot like Beo said is super useful (tank for killing, cleric for self-rez). I'm thinking of buying that just because (I still have some SC from the $10 I spent during double cash and some random SC that was on my account). Extra inventory slots would be useful too, but they're just per-toon, not account wide. If you're silver you may want to put it towards a race/class combo you don't already have but want to play. You could also spend it on some experience potions. Those are the things that've caught my eye in the store at least.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Beo posted:

Another merc slot is always handy.

Yeah, I bought this.

If only my cleric merc could buff my tank merc! :argh:

But it's nice to have a cleric merc you can pop to throw a HP buff on yourself and your pet/whatever.

Edit: First world problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
The best way to do EQ (obviously) is to dual box, especially now since both of you can have a merc. So get a healer on one and a tank on the other and rape content at your leisure.

Even better is having 3 budies play together, like Im doing. Each brings a merc and you have a full balanced group. We play me, a Ranger (cleric merc), Enchanter (DPS/Tank merc), and a Wizzard (DPS merc) and we pull non stop it seems. Sometimes we over pull like 4 mobs and we have a bit of downtime in between for the healer to get the mana back, but never really felt in trouble.

The cool thing about the mercs is that they are better in some ways then some fo the RL players I have played with. They do their job and do it well.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 22, 2012