Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

ColtMcAsskick posted:

What is happening to the Annandale? I swear its be closing down for a year now

The 'buy a brick' program helped, and now they've got enough money not only to stay open but also to start renovating. The Rule Brothers have their names painted on the front in a sort of medieval style, and they've moving around the inside to make more lounges. They've brought back the end of the month pub markets, which are great.

Unfortunately, the Sando has now gone into recievership, prompting a fight between people as to whether that's a good or a bad thing. I think it's a horrible thing, since I love old Aussie punk and rock, and even performed there a few weeks ago with Dead Rabids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
For years I heard about how amazing the Annandale was, then I saw The Fauves there last month and it was the grimiest shithole I've ever been to. At least the Sando had a proper stage area and some kind of atmosphere to go with its constant smell of old piss. Maybe it's just because I've seen the DC3 and Pinky Beecroft there so many times that I have a certain fondness for it, but the Sando was way cooler.

By the way, Beecroft's playing The Vanguard in Newtown in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty stoked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhK4WJedpeI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The annandale used to be awesome, and not just from a nostalgic point of view.

they just book a whole bunch of lovely gigs these days and its not worth going.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Blood Sweat & Beers is always fantastic, and I've discovered heaps of good bands there. Smith Street Band are playing next month, and I bought an amazing leather jacket at the markets.

Plus the Thai is decent. I do miss Cult Cinema, though it's just moved to the Mu Meson Archives.

I live across the street, so I'm a bit biased. I blame the decline of live music on dance music and hipsters who prefer places like GoodGod.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Blood Sweat & Beers is always fantastic, and I've discovered heaps of good bands there. Smith Street Band are playing next month, and I bought an amazing leather jacket at the markets.

Plus the Thai is decent. I do miss Cult Cinema, though it's just moved to the Mu Meson Archives.

I live across the street, so I'm a bit biased. I blame the decline of live music on dance music and hipsters who prefer places like GoodGod.

thai is great, BSB is great. lovely bills that pull no heads are poo poo.

dance music is stupid and i dont know how anyone goes anywhere to listen to it. I like some of it, but I can only listen to it in my car. going to a club and having that unimaginative bland loving background noise is just grating as poo poo and I cant stand it.

see, a band is DOING something, so i dont care that I cant talk over the top of them. some douchbag wearing too much Industrie and making non offensive beeps and boops doesnt deserve anything over 20db.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I just got back from the Nash in geelong where I saw The Death Rattles who were super awesome. Imagine Graveyard Train with a singer who dances like a more coordinated Ian Curtis.

For me they easily blew away anyone else on the stage tonight

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

The 'buy a brick' program helped, and now they've got enough money not only to stay open but also to start renovating. The Rule Brothers have their names painted on the front in a sort of medieval style, and they've moving around the inside to make more lounges. They've brought back the end of the month pub markets, which are great.

Unfortunately, the Sando has now gone into recievership, prompting a fight between people as to whether that's a good or a bad thing. I think it's a horrible thing, since I love old Aussie punk and rock, and even performed there a few weeks ago with Dead Rabids.

I am disgusted at how much punk and rock there still is. This vile, angry, irredeemably simplistic swill has seen the end of its day. We need more live jazz and funk venues in this city.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Are you a supervillian

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

I am disgusted at how much punk and rock there still is. This vile, angry, irredeemably simplistic swill has seen the end of its day. We need more live jazz and funk venues in this city.

505, The Basement, The Macquarie Hotel, The Vanguard...they tend to be nicer than punk and rock venues too.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

505, The Basement, The Macquarie Hotel, The Vanguard...they tend to be nicer than punk and rock venues too.

Man, I know where to go to see good music, I remember when 505 was just an apartment in Hibernian House. The problem is that the live music scene is flooded with simple, moronic music, and it encourages people to have poor taste. Last night I saw a band who sang the lyrics "How do you sleep at night, with a monkey on your back and the chip on your shoulder". What I wanted to ask them was "How do you sleep at night when you cram three tired, feeble clichés into one line of your lacklustre chorus in your lovely song?". Then they started screaming something about setting fire to a UFO or something and I just couldn't stop laughing at them. As somebody who is maturing beyond the youthful insolence and short-sightedness of punk and rock, I feel like I am not being catered to nearly enough. Not nearly enough at all. No wonder I know people in their mid-twenties who still like adolescent musical styles, they never get exposed to anything decent.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

You can be smart without playing 'smart' music. I'm pretty well-read and my last song just consisted of the words 'baby' and 'rock & roll'. Punk bands like Bad Religion and the Menzingers are incredibly literate, and there are guys like Will Wagner and Isaac Graham continue that locally. Have you heard Blueline Medic's 'Newtown Rag', a song about people selling zines?

Are you a fan of Perry Keyes, Bernie Hayes, or Jamie Hutchins from Bluebottle Kiss? They're some of the best lyricists Sydney's produced but because their music is simple folk/rock they get ignored by the coolsies on one side and the mainstream on the other.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Man, I know where to go to see good music, I remember when 505 was just an apartment in Hibernian House. The problem is that the live music scene is flooded with simple, moronic music, and it encourages people to have poor taste. Last night I saw a band who sang the lyrics "How do you sleep at night, with a monkey on your back and the chip on your shoulder". What I wanted to ask them was "How do you sleep at night when you cram three tired, feeble clichés into one line of your lacklustre chorus in your lovely song?". Then they started screaming something about setting fire to a UFO or something and I just couldn't stop laughing at them. As somebody who is maturing beyond the youthful insolence and short-sightedness of punk and rock, I feel like I am not being catered to nearly enough. Not nearly enough at all. No wonder I know people in their mid-twenties who still like adolescent musical styles, they never get exposed to anything decent.

Im not sure if you're a troll but you sound like one of those old cunts who moves in next to Luna Park and complains about the noise.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Not much point in catering to you, your head is clearly so far up your own arse you wouldn't be able to hear the music anyway.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Count Chocula posted:

You can be smart without playing 'smart' music. I'm pretty well-read and my last song just consisted of the words 'baby' and 'rock & roll'. Punk bands like Bad Religion and the Menzingers are incredibly literate, and there are guys like Will Wagner and Isaac Graham continue that locally. Have you heard Blueline Medic's 'Newtown Rag', a song about people selling zines?

Are you a fan of Perry Keyes, Bernie Hayes, or Jamie Hutchins from Bluebottle Kiss? They're some of the best lyricists Sydney's produced but because their music is simple folk/rock they get ignored by the coolsies on one side and the mainstream on the other.

At least half of all punk musicians have a master's degree in biology.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

We need more live jazz and funk venues in this city.

I can get behind this

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Here, have some blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbPYfATVYZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4brfJqXDo

Mason Rack Band is a fun act, they're touring Canada atm. I think they live somewhere near Brisbane?

About the only other Australian acts I listen to are both done and dusted. Also the lead singer is Irish but the rest of the bands were from/lived in Australia while the bands were active.

NIL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niNzt4gSjRg

Clann Zu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V24x3r79sgE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czPUpQaLT8

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Tame Impala's got a new album out soonish.

I'm pretty pumped. It was probably my favourite album of 2010.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's about 5 times as many places to see jazz and funk bands in Brisbane than there is any other particular genre of music, but most of these bands are playing covers or standards because they're mostly dead genres appreciated by old men (over 30 yos) so I'm pretty loving skeptical of this claim that live music would be more vital or better with more funk and jazz floating around, what with the fact that live original music venues seem to be commercial poison at the moment

has anyone posted any Spiderbait yet? They didn't have a huge amount of substance or novelty, so it's not surprising they devolved into a really boring standard rock schtick at some point but I was a big fan up to and including Grandslam and I've seen them live a few times, even since the awful "Tonight Alright" was released and they still did a really good show imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgEN8oO9y8

And here's some dumb rock music for the kids, because the demand for all-encompassing lyrical substance in rock music is a ridiculous idea mostly purported by weird old dudes into prog rock and NOTHING ELSE except for prog rock, have fun listening to nothing but the Porcupine Tree discography for the rest of your life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1WVluFz-RE

Velociraptor - Riot

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 23, 2012

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

MC Eating Disorder posted:

has anyone posted any Spiderbait yet? They didn't have a huge amount of substance or novelty, so it's not surprising they devolved into a really boring standard rock schtick at some point but I was a big fan up to and including Grandslam and I've seen them live a few times, even since the awful "Tonight Alright" was released and they still did a really good show imo

As much as I loved Spiderbait, they were uneven as gently caress. Their albums were too long and it really showed on The Flight of Wally Funk. 18 tracks - a whole hour of music. I reckon it could have been boiled down to this:

36 minutes. No bullshit.

Then again, when they tried doing a short album it was Tonight Alright and that blew chunks. Kram's solo album was pretty terrible as well.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I know there's a couple of songs on tFoWF I enjoy but I've never bought it even though Spiderbait are one of the few bands I've bought every single album by without fail up to a point (I even own a copy of Tonight Alright somewhere! I don't know why!)

I remember it being a staple at a friends house smoking lots of weed Back In The Day and it being completely featureless to me until I went back to it a few years later at which point 4 on the floor and some other tracks I don't remember atm kind of came through as halfway decent but by that point I'm pretty sure TA already came out and I had pretty much given up on them making another decent album

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I like a few TISM songs and I enjoy their witty lyrics and album/song names, however I cant really get my head around why they are/were popular. I get the sense its more because of notoriety from the song titles/lyrics and their stage shows, rather than being musically good?

I was first introduced to them when my Dad, named Greg, ran through a stop sign, and then that song came on the radio immediately after, and he didnt stop talking about it for about a week. He tracked down and bought the single.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah they're just a blatently iconoclastic band with a lot of showmanship and a pretty good idea of how to make music; they sort of remind me a little of Frenzal in that regard. The only TISM cd I really have in rotation much any more is the Machines Against the Rage live disc that came with my copy of Machiavelli and the Four Seasons, its a good retrospective and they're a loving amazing live band.

On TISM talk, I was watching the Thunderbirds are Coming Out clip on page 2 for the first time in a while, and was that Scott from Tripod in a band called Webster? For some reason I have an album by them I pulled out of a bargin bin somewhere at some point and that kind of blew my mind a little bit.

Also every time I watch that video I'm reminded of 28 days and I smile a little inside for my 14-15 year old self

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 23, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Local pop punks Milhouse got a good review in Punknews, which makes me happy: http://www.punknews.org/review/11353/milhouse-everythings-coming-up-7-inch

They're always really fun. I also caught Ramshackle Army at Black Cherry this weekend; they're good Irish punk but not as good as The Rumjacks were.

I could never get TISM, and I suspect it's just a difference in culture.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I loved Spiderbait as a teenager. I should go listen to Spanish Galleon again to see if it's held up at all...

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Oh god, Childish Gambino better be doing a Melbourne side show.

I can't go back to Big Day Out, man. My skins too sensitive!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Sue Denim posted:

Oh god, Childish Gambino better be doing a Melbourne side show.

I can't go back to Big Day Out, man. My skins too sensitive!

Off!, Against Me!, Death Grips, and Alabama Shakes should all do sideshows too.

I'm quoting this post from the Recommendation Megathread, since it belongs here. It started when one of my requests lead to a European goon recommending Sydney punks UV Race. I asked for more local bands, and got this:

Terminally Bored posted:

Hah! Sure, why not:

Constant Mongrel - latest sensation. i don't dig them like most people do, but do respect the way they treat guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/ripsociety/constant-mongrel-reflex

Lower Plenty - their LP is one of my favorites this year. quiet music, in the vein of early Smog or RTFO Bandwagon.
http://specialawardrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hard-rubbish

Woolen Kits - basically an OZ version of Beat Happening.
http://woollenkits.bandcamp.com/album/maths-out-of-town

Divorced - DIY punk sounding like Mudhoney.
http://divorced.bandcamp.com/album/separation-anxiety

Kitchen's Floor - best downer rock of the last few years. their LP on Siltbreeze released last year was loving stellar.
http://kitchensfloor.bandcamp.com/

Circle Pit - glam punk. they sound better on 7''s than on albums.
http://soundcloud.com/hardlyartrecords/sets/circle-pit-slave-honey

Dick Diver, Ooga Boogas, Boomgates - ECSR-related side projects. OOga Boogas are my favorites.

Helta Skelta - great mid-tempo hc punk. their lp was limited to, i don't know, 250 copies?
http://soundcloud.com/carpetrash/helta-skelta-helta-skelta

And maybe Native Cats, but they're from Tasmania and I'm not sure if they venture of their island that often.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Yeah they're just a blatently iconoclastic band with a lot of showmanship and a pretty good idea of how to make music; they sort of remind me a little of Frenzal in that regard. The only TISM cd I really have in rotation much any more is the Machines Against the Rage live disc that came with my copy of Machiavelli and the Four Seasons, its a good retrospective and they're a loving amazing live band.

On TISM talk, I was watching the Thunderbirds are Coming Out clip on page 2 for the first time in a while, and was that Scott from Tripod in a band called Webster? For some reason I have an album by them I pulled out of a bargin bin somewhere at some point and that kind of blew my mind a little bit.

Also every time I watch that video I'm reminded of 28 days and I smile a little inside for my 14-15 year old self

They had a lot of pretty drat good introspective lyrics and song themes too. They get passed up a lot by being a bit "shocky" to more mainstream listeners but they have way more thought put into them then people think.

Greg! The stop sign is one of the most inspirational songs ive ever heard. Im not even kidding.. even if they were.

Meanwhile as of late ive been rather into Jack Ladder and his new band the Dreamlanders and really thought their album from last year "Hurtsville" was reaaaaaly underrated and undercharted.

It gets a lot of comparirsons to Cave, Cohen etc... but I find his voice and overall style unique enough and thoroughly enjoyable. The lyrics arent always the best though but forgivable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CviqQkJ1Q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVqIGfDNMk

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I finally saw Lanie Lane properly, opening for Jack White. In a night where I heard Seven Nation Army, Hotel Yorba and Steady As She Goes what song was stuck in my head as I left?

Falling In Love With A Cowboy

Check out Lanie Lane; she deserves the hype. She's also the sultriest Aussie singer since Abbe May (who has a new album out soon).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Just found out about The Chevelles, a Perth garage band who's new single is co-written by Little Steven Van Zandt from the E-Street Band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlI8HSFr5h0

I know he's supported several Aussie garage bands like The Pink Fits on his Underground Garage show.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nutsngum posted:

They had a lot of pretty drat good introspective lyrics and song themes too. They get passed up a lot by being a bit "shocky" to more mainstream listeners but they have way more thought put into them then people think.

Greg! The stop sign is one of the most inspirational songs ive ever heard. Im not even kidding.. even if they were.

Meanwhile as of late ive been rather into Jack Ladder and his new band the Dreamlanders and really thought their album from last year "Hurtsville" was reaaaaaly underrated and undercharted.

It gets a lot of comparirsons to Cave, Cohen etc... but I find his voice and overall style unique enough and thoroughly enjoyable. The lyrics arent always the best though but forgivable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CviqQkJ1Q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVqIGfDNMk

The best thing about Jacks Ladder is it introduced me to Kirin J Callinan's spectacular solo stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT75jUEUoO0

Anyone head along to Splendour this weekend? DZ and Last Dinosaurs loving slayed in the main tent.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So the soundwave lineup is pretty awesome I guess. Metallica, A Perfect Circle, and Tomahawk is good news, with The Offspring winning a nostalgia viewing.

I may just wait and see what happens with sideshows though.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Flogging Molly, Lucero, The Wonder Years and Lawrence Arms for me.

I saw Six Ft Hick again last Sunday and they were fantastic, though the pit felt like a middle-aged swingers club. The Annandale renovations are coming along nicely, and I can't wait to see the new back bar.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah me too, I'm gonna head along to the free Faker gig on Friday to check it out, pretty keen to see what they've done to the old place. You know somewhere was a bit grim when new toilets are a key point in renovations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I was going to go and keep Jay Katz company (and not because I secretly love Faker), but I'm seeing Isaac Graham at the Roxbury. He did a split with Frank Turner and writes some good folk songs but he's been overshadowed lately by Wil Wagner.

The new 'dale bathrooms stunned me the first time I saw them.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Eh, Faker's stuff might be stupid and Nathan's a massive dick, but it's catchy and their shows are usually pretty good fun and high energy.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Turning back the clock a bit, can anyone recommend anything along the lines of Skyhooks, Hoodoo Gurus or Mental As Anything? I'm trying to find stuff that has that daggy-yet-lecherous kind of vibe. Basically the kind of music Lano and Woodley would like if they had covered "Danny Boy", or anything you could imagine Michael Leunig listening to.

edit: or simply put, if you had to sell a pie in the shape of Bob Hawke's head, who'd do the music for the ad?

Excavation fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 19, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Eh, Faker's stuff might be stupid and Nathan's a massive dick, but it's catchy and their shows are usually pretty good fun and high energy.

I was being sarcastic; I honestly love Faker.

The new Smith Street Band album is getting fantastic reviews, and everybody needs to listen to it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Is anyone else at the Save Our Sando rally? It's been fantastic. Doc Neeson's Angels and Bernie Hayes played and we marched down King Street, telling Commonwealth Bank to gently caress off for loving over the Sandringham.

I'll have pictures tomorrow but it was great to see Sydney's rock and roll scene come together like this.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The bank's hardly loving the Sando over. The loan principal is due, owner can't afford it, end of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It seems to be a difficult thing for musicians to grasp. Venues cost a lot of money, and usually need to be Bought with a loan. It's not like a bank magically decides to gently caress over a venue because "gently caress music"

• Locked thread