Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Count Chocula posted:

When I first moved here I met a girl at O-Week. She took me to the campus concert. Dave McCormack opened, and I loved it. George (Katie Noonan's band) were so bad I ended up leaving. At the end of the night I found Dave and hugged him.

A few years later he gave me Darren Hanlon's number, which I used to challenge him to pinball at 3am. He never responded.

Dave's awesome. The first time I met him he hugged me for having a large face. Also he's known to have hurtled through the Brisbane CBD singing along out of a car window to his first solo album.

magic pantaloons posted:

I, Butthole posted:

Look into Wagons.

http://wagonsmusic.com/
I've heard of them, never listened to them. Maybe I'll try them sometime.

This may explain - The DC3 - Henry loving Wagons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7igqDDLMw

Damien from The DC3 used to be in TISM. As explained by 'I Was The Guy In TISM'. They're great live if you ever get a chance to see them, but like TISM, their performances are rare.

Speaking of rare performances, someone else who never loving tours these days is Pinky Beecroft. There's already been some mentions in this thread of Machine Gun Fellatio, but after their (not so amicable) split in 2005, Beecroft went off and did his own stuff, releasing 2 albums - Somethin' Somewhere Better and Pretty Black, as well as writing a fairly forgettable telemovie about zombies at a rock festival in Sydney Harbour. Anyway, he's pretty cool and very friendly (unless you're a creepy stalker type - he has a few of those).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIUQpQUv4VM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NH1jCxI2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki1PDAUdZRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Shunkymonky posted:

On the subject of Pinky Beecroft, when he was starting his solo work I remember hearing a song called "I like films about morons" on TripleJ and could never find it again. Does anyone know if it exists in any form somewhere?

'Films About Morons' is just one in a long line of songs he's never released. Same goes for 'Rock Boots', for which he even did a video but it was only screened once at its launch show. There's also an entire album of electro pop he recorded with 3K Short (ex MGF bandmate) that he's been sitting on since at least 2008.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This is the big problem with festivals in Australia at the moment, people don't go to the see bands, they just go because it's the thing to do. Which I don't get, if you just wanna go get pissed, why would you do it at a music festival when you've gotta line up for an hour to pay $10 for a mid-strength beer?

I think that's why Harvest was so good. It wasn't marketed at the 'let's get munted' crowd, it was for people who actually wanted to see a bunch of good bands and not worry about some yob smacking them in the head. I've never seen such a chill festival.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

For years I heard about how amazing the Annandale was, then I saw The Fauves there last month and it was the grimiest shithole I've ever been to. At least the Sando had a proper stage area and some kind of atmosphere to go with its constant smell of old piss. Maybe it's just because I've seen the DC3 and Pinky Beecroft there so many times that I have a certain fondness for it, but the Sando was way cooler.

By the way, Beecroft's playing The Vanguard in Newtown in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty stoked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhK4WJedpeI

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

has anyone posted any Spiderbait yet? They didn't have a huge amount of substance or novelty, so it's not surprising they devolved into a really boring standard rock schtick at some point but I was a big fan up to and including Grandslam and I've seen them live a few times, even since the awful "Tonight Alright" was released and they still did a really good show imo

As much as I loved Spiderbait, they were uneven as gently caress. Their albums were too long and it really showed on The Flight of Wally Funk. 18 tracks - a whole hour of music. I reckon it could have been boiled down to this:

36 minutes. No bullshit.

Then again, when they tried doing a short album it was Tonight Alright and that blew chunks. Kram's solo album was pretty terrible as well.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

How many does Maddah run though? Two? Three? I can only think of Harvest and Soundwave. I think there's another but can't remember its name. It's only a small percentage of the total number of festivals each year, and the rest are all fairly Australian music heavy (Pretty sure there's a law that Jon Butler has to play at least 60% of all music events, and if he can't make it, The Cat Empire or Blue King Brown have to fill in).

I don't know about Soundwave, but I think Harvest is all the better for focusing on big international acts (well, "big" for the target audience he's going for) rather than slotting in Australians as a token gesture. I see plenty of Aussie bands at their own gigs, and Maddah's convinced bands I've wanted to see for years to come here, so I'm all for his way of doing things.

Re: Sydney venues, I've also heard that Notes on King St is closing down. I've only been there once for Tim Freedman's album launch last year. He was boring but there was free piss so it was worth it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

In case anyone's interested, the DC3 (TISM, ROOT!) are playing The Factory in Marrickville tonight. Featuring a last-minute announced set from another Australian music legend, Pinky Beecroft (Machine Gun Fellatio). Might be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

thepokey posted:

Saw DC3 last weekend in Melbourne playing their album launch with a Sunday arvo show of "The DC3 wrecks your favorite songs" show. Man it was good, playing Thrift Shop to the tune of Popcorn and Gangnam Style in the stylings of Delta Goodrem.

Yeah they did Popcorn/Thrift Shop at the Sydney gig too. That song loving shits me but their cover was genius.

• Locked thread