Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
The only Australian artists I really love are Karnivool, Angus & Julia Stone and the John Butler Trio.

I saw all three of them live last year (A&J Stone / JBT at BDO) and they are real class acts. I think Ocean by John Butler is one of my favourite instrumental tracks ever - the Max Sessions version owns so hard :banjo:

Karnivool are imo the only Australian hard rock/metal band worth listening to. Change has gotta be one of my favourites from the Sound Awake period at least, and Themata is full of more straight up rock gems like COTE.

The Beast is probably my favourite A&J Stone song from A Book Like This at the moment, and Draw Your Swords is definitely my favourite overall. On the whole I prefer the Angus led songs, but Julia has a great voice and songs like Hold On are the poo poo.

Actually I am also going to mention Dead Letter Circus because This Is The Warning is a loving fantastic album, The Design is a killer chill-out song and I hope these guys become the figurehead for Australian alt rock. My first exposure to DLC was seeing them open for Muse and they made quite an impression.

As for some less known & promising ones, when I went to see Mono the bands that opened were called Secret Birds (who played some cool drone sorta stuff) and No Anchor (who have a cool dual bass/no guitars sludge set up). I haven't really listened to them past that night but they were both really interesting and worth checking out.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

I assume David Puddy is trolling? Every time I've tried to listen to Angus & Julia Stone I literally fall asleep.
Yeah, it's not like people can enjoy things you don't how silly to even suggest that :pseudo:

As for the Vines, I saw them at last year's BDO as well, and they were very entertaining and although I wouldn't listen to them regularly I can definitely appreciate that they are a good band.

Birds Of Tokyo only have one song I like (When This Ship Sinks or something) and I obviously prefer Ian Kenny's work in Karnivool.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Laserface posted:

I dont get festivals. its like a concert, only there is more people there that arent there to see the band you like, and everything is expensive.

i only went to soundwave this year because it was as if 15 year old me wrote the lineup and it was financially smarter to go to that than all the sideshows. that and i missed tickets to the steel panther gig at the enmore (who the gently caress thought THAT would sell out?)

I didn't think I would before my first but I actually enjoy listening to bands I've never listened to before at festivals. Plus one of my favourite things ever was seeing Rammstein open for Tool. Whenever I got to concerts I usually leave wishing it had gone for longer and festivals satisfy that for me

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Laserface posted:

for me to justify festivals theres has to be at least 5 bands I absolutely WANT to see playing.
Well, yeah, me too, but if there's 5 bands that means there's a shitload of time for other bands and it's my favourite way of discovering music. Like, I went to the Tool sideshow in Brisbane after BDO11 and an NZ band called Jakob opened for them. I'd never heard of them but they're one of my favourite bands now

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

I'm pretending to watch a band called Dumbsaint now. They're post-rock, maybe? From Sydney? If you like Tool they might be your thing.

I actually got Dumbsaint's CD in the mail today after I forgot I'd ordered it, I think it's pretty good but it's not god tier.

• Locked thread