Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I haven't played in a while, but is it ever revealed what the hell the wraiths are working? Nothing to do with Grayling, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

So i've gotten to the DMC quite a few times, usually deck myself out pretty good. But then I don't really know what to do from there...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BobMcFartsens posted:

So i've gotten to the DMC quite a few times, usually deck myself out pretty good. But then I don't really know what to do from there...

Like, plot-wise? Or just what else to do period? The former has a bunch of different hooks to send you up to camp Grayling. If you're just interested in exploring, there's a lot of unique high-tech gear that you can find in the great black swamp along the south edge of the map, but make sure you have a gas mask and filters since you can get an incurable disease there without one. There's also a bunch of little optional areas with their own mini-plot stuff. You've probably already been to Zom Zom's, but look around for the Saginaw Mental Institution north of the DMC.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You can also spend a while scrounging and hoarding guns and boots (a shopping cart full of backpacks is really helpful for this) to sell at the junk market. Once you're rich enough, you can buy some kickass robot eyes at the clinic. They're well worth having.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah once you get kickass robot nightvision eyes, combat is trivial as long as you sleep during the day. If you're willing to spend points on Botany, making tannin tea on the outskirts of DMC is basically a money printer and you can get completely geared up and upgraded in about a week of game time. Also Botany is nice because you don't have to worry about bringing food with you, just forage for berries a couple times a day.

E: Confused Botany and Trapping for a minute.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

buttcoinbrony posted:

E: Confused Botany and Trapping for a minute.

If you like engaging in mortal battle and are a reasonably well-equipped melee ogre with Trapping, I believe you can make quite a lot of money selling Dogman pelts (they're really valuable IIRC). The main issues are that you have to travel a ways to fight them with any regularity, transporting multiple pelts at once is a bit of a bitch (they're kinda bulky), and you're taking your life into your hands by constantly fighting loving dogmen in melee. It's a ridiculously metal way to earn your bionic eyes though :black101:

I don't remember whether Dogmen yield safe "animal" meat or human(oid) meat in the latest version, but they used to yield animal meat, which meant you could also load up on a poo poo-ton of cooked and cured meat chunks to keep yourself fed while you travel and hunt, and sell any unspoiled excess off along with your pelts.

e: does anyone know whether the Enfield Horrors ever drop anything at all when you kill them? I've brought down a bunch over a few versions and they always just sort of disappear when they die. I want my rampaging feral ogre-man to wear trophies from all the otherworldly horrorterrors he kills :(

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 28, 2015

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When I last played (months ago) dogmen meat was definitely safe.

Related, does the meat at Zom Zom's give you problems since it's obviously human?

Oh yeah, has anyone figured out the best way (skills, items, etc) to find the most stuff from Grayling?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Shear Modulus posted:

Related, does the meat at Zom Zom's give you problems since it's obviously human?

Oh yeah, has anyone figured out the best way (skills, items, etc) to find the most stuff from Grayling?

The meat does carry the same penalties as "regular" human meat.

I haven't tried to figure out how to get the most out of Grayling, but in theory you can take whatever skills, and just bring more than one Tin Foil coat.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Yes, you even get the extended scene of "unique and fascinating taste" which means you've started on the path towards wendigoism.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
This game seems really cool and I should probably buy it some day. Best to get it straight from the dev I guess?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

This game seems really cool and I should probably buy it some day. Best to get it straight from the dev I guess?

Yeah I regret buying it through Steam because I'm sure the dev got that much less money. http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/5 has a direct purchase which includes a Steam key.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Cool, I'll just keep selling poo poo till I can buy fancy robot eyes. Farming dudes around Zom's works out okay, since even beat up guns sell for 400-700. I can't ever seem to find shopping carts though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I didn't use carts at all because I like to be able to run. You can usually get a canvas backpack from DMC in a few days. The duffel bag is a pain in the rear end to find, but the soft birch bag is easy to get. Buy it at ATN which I've never done or kill an ATN warrior in the outskirts of their territory which has always worked for me. The soft birch bag is great for archery because it'll hold 2 stacks of arrows so you can have 15 on tap. E: Never mind I was thinking of the duffel bag which will hold arrows, been a while since I played. (Or a ludicrous amount of pebbles if you're doing the machine gun sling.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
Started playing this after quite a long hiatus and it's like I never stopped. It's just as addictive and I seem to have remembered a good deal of how to survive as my last run I managed almost a fortnight (a dogman killed me) and this one seems like it could last a decent while. I managed to get chased out of Detroit but hadn't had time to spend any money on prosthetics which sucks. I heard you can't get back in even if you buy another wristband. Is that true?

I read in the comments on the recent 1.14 update news on Steam that Daniel Fedor is planning a sequel so that's now the only game I'm looking forward to.

• Locked thread