Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AG3 posted:

I'll never see that then because after getting dicked over so many times I'm only watching out for myself now :v:

I get the feeling this is exactly the point :v:

Generally the consequences of random encounters aren't TOO bad. I know there's at least one that can kill you, and a few where you lose a significant amount of your stuff, but those are fairly uncommon and it still depends on what choice you pick to get that to happen. Most of the time what happens to me is I'll get some minor bruise or cut at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I get the feeling this is exactly the point :v:

Generally the consequences of random encounters aren't TOO bad. I know there's at least one that can kill you, and a few where you lose a significant amount of your stuff, but those are fairly uncommon and it still depends on what choice you pick to get that to happen. Most of the time what happens to me is I'll get some minor bruise or cut at worst.

True, it's rarely anything lethal, but it's never been anything good either. I tried helping a couple in a house once and they both fell to their deaths while I got bruises and cuts. So yeah, there doesn't seem to be much point in ever being nice; the odds of anything good coming out of it for either part seems to be pretty slim :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I like being nice to people because being a giant lumbering ogre who trundles around in a werewolf fur coat with a huge spear and a shopping cart full of shotguns but then turns out to be really friendly and chill is satisfying :buddy:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You probably got cholera from drinking a bunch of water that had cholera in it. That's how people usually get cholera.

But I found it on the ground in the forest so it couldn't possibly have cholera.

6 days I spent scavenging and I never ran into a single fire proof water container to boil water with.

While I was laying in the ground dying of cholera, three Martas army soldiers had a shot out on the same hex with some bad muthas and the result were piles of corpses and clothes.

I had made a camp with water and food where I was planning to wait out the Cholera and although I survived even at 10% immune system the resulting sepsis then killed me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zephyrine posted:

But I found it on the ground in the forest so it couldn't possibly have cholera.

6 days I spent scavenging and I never ran into a single fire proof water container to boil water with.

While I was laying in the ground dying of cholera, three Martas army soldiers had a shot out on the same hex with some bad muthas and the result were piles of corpses and clothes.

I had made a camp with water and food where I was planning to wait out the Cholera and although I survived even at 10% immune system the resulting sepsis then killed me.
One of those guys had probably poo poo in the water a little while before you got there.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like being nice to people because being a giant lumbering ogre who trundles around in a werewolf fur coat with a huge spear and a shopping cart full of shotguns but then turns out to be really friendly and chill is satisfying :buddy:

Wasn't that one of the super mutant's thing in New Vegas?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Zephyrine posted:

Glass bottles can be used to boil water in a pinch.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

SquadronROE posted:

Glass bottles can be used to boil water in a pinch.

I know and I literally didn't find a single one for 6 days of gameplay. No a saucepan or anything to boil it in.

I had 6 plastic bottles. 10 clean rags, a rifle with ammo, a lighter, multi tool, backpack, sleeping bag, tarp and never encountered a single container to boil water in.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you can't find stuff to boil water (which happens to me a lot too), there are a few different options for hydration. Cooked meat, especially medium chunks, will provide quite a bit of it as well as feeding you. Berries and mushrooms are also good if you have botany and super easy to find - easy enough that you probably don't need to drink water at all (although it is more efficient than constantly foraging for berries). If you absolutely have to scavenge water, then try to get it from rivers; it's got a higher chance to be clean than lakes or swamps. I've often gone quite a long time just drinking unidentified water from rivers and been totally fine.

Also you can buy as much bottled water as you want from the last chance diner outside the DMC for I think $12 a bottle, so that's a good option if you've made it over there.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Berries and mushrooms are also good if you have botany
And if you don't, blue berries are always edible.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you can't find stuff to boil water (which happens to me a lot too), there are a few different options for hydration. Cooked meat, especially medium chunks, will provide quite a bit of it as well as feeding you. Berries and mushrooms are also good if you have botany and super easy to find - easy enough that you probably don't need to drink water at all (although it is more efficient than constantly foraging for berries). If you absolutely have to scavenge water, then try to get it from rivers; it's got a higher chance to be clean than lakes or swamps. I've often gone quite a long time just drinking unidentified water from rivers and been totally fine.

Also you can buy as much bottled water as you want from the last chance diner outside the DMC for I think $12 a bottle, so that's a good option if you've made it over there.

I'll keep that in mind. If the botany water can be diseased then why not the mushrooms or berries?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2015

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Zephyrine posted:

I'll keep that in mind. If the botany water can be diseased then why not the mushrooms or berries?

Well water in a plant is filtered through the soil and then the plant itself, and it doesn't really provide the environment that most diseases that effect humans needs to live. At least that in my uninformed idea.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ElBrak posted:

Well water in a plant is filtered through the soil and then the plant itself, and it doesn't really provide the environment that most diseases that effect humans needs to live. At least that in my uninformed idea.

That makes me think of the whole E.coli, apple juice disaster in the 90s.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Zephyrine posted:

This game judges me. I know it does.
A woman calls me over with offers of free food. Naturally this is a trap because everything in this game is a trap and every human you ever encounter ever wants to kill you and revealing yourself to someone will get you a concussion.

So I did the sensible thing and burned her whole house down. It might not have been a trap. I don't. Anyway her whole family runs out the door on fire and then burns up on the ground which rewards me with a free lighter, a shotgun and ammo so I know I must have done something right.

Right after two dogmen spawn literally right on top of me and it becomes dusk. They didn't come walking over, they just spawned on me. I doubt it's a coincidence. This game has some sort of karma thing and I broke the rules so now I must arbitrarily die.

Edit2: By some miracle I survived cholera only to be left with sepsis which lead to death from bloodloss.

NeoScavenger.txt

Another illness related protip - probably the best place to go while sick is the ATN Enclave. Not only can you get a hearty meal and buy lots of illness fighting goodies like bear root and tannin tea, there's a healer shaman guy who will treat your illnesses.
Plus I find the idea of a group of Native Americans thriving in the apocalypse to be endlessly badass.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I keep reading references to using glass shards from the broken window in the beginning to make myself a dogman coat, but there are never any shards in the Cryolab. Was that something that was patched out? I have managed to make the coat once or twice with a scavenged multitool, but I was just curious.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Gooch181 posted:

I keep reading references to using glass shards from the broken window in the beginning to make myself a dogman coat, but there are never any shards in the Cryolab. Was that something that was patched out? I have managed to make the coat once or twice with a scavenged multitool, but I was just curious.

When you exit the cryolab through the broken window, there should be some glass shards on the ground.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
There should be a one-in-a-million chance you slip and decapitate yourself climbing through that window.

Ninja edit: then you unlock the game mode where you play as the headless horseman.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else had a problem with movement penalties? I'm not barefoot, overburdened, or otherwise afflicted, but every move takes twice as many turns (two on flat ground, four on forest/hills). It seems to happen in every game after a few days, and never goes away.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cantaloupe posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with movement penalties? I'm not barefoot, overburdened, or otherwise afflicted, but every move takes twice as many turns (two on flat ground, four on forest/hills). It seems to happen in every game after a few days, and never goes away.

Are you sick at random intervals from the soup to the south? Are your shoes on the wrong feet (or you're wearing makeshift footwear?)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, what's wrong with the soup?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cantaloupe posted:

Are you hiding? That will double all movement costs.

E: Also holy poo poo, whoever mentioned tannin tea farming for profit, you're amazing. I'm pulling in something like $500/run right now, and I can do the run twice a day. My character is only a week old, but I've already got a hunting rifle and a pistol and a good amount of money.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 5, 2015

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

bitcoin bastard posted:

Are you hiding? That will double all movement costs.

E: Also holy poo poo, whoever mentioned tannin tea farming for profit, you're amazing. I'm pulling in something like $500/run right now, and I can do the run twice a day. My character is only a week old, but I've already got a hunting rifle and a pistol and a good amount of money.

Yeah, that was it. No idea how I managed to turn that on in multiple games. Thanks!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, that was it. No idea how I managed to turn that on in multiple games. Thanks!

It's useful to use just before you go to sleep. You just have to remember to turn it off again, because it doesn't disable on its own ever.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Got this game after watching it a while, and now I'm playing with what should be a decent build according to last page - unfortunately I think I hosed up the dogman coat because I ended up with a lot of small pieces of dogman fur instead, and I was going to ask whether having improper footwear or being barefoot was ultimately worse but fortunately two very different shoe types don't count towards that as long as they're not both for left feet (noticed a weird bias towards left feet shoes in the demo too when I played a long time ago).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did you include your trapping skill when you were skinning the dogman? When you have special skill-based recipes like that, you have to actually drag the skill over to the ingredients grid to use it - it's not enough just to have the skill.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did you include your trapping skill when you were skinning the dogman? When you have special skill-based recipes like that, you have to actually drag the skill over to the ingredients grid to use it - it's not enough just to have the skill.

Of course not, I didn't take trapping. :negative:

e: New question! Why doesn't Strong count as a melee skill for the purposes of making a hardened spear?

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 28, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Just got this game it is great. love my first play through, a branch weilding hypothermic guy in a night gown and one shoe high on painkillers and covered in animal bites holding a dead dog under his other arm

life is hard in the post apocalypse

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

e: New question! Why doesn't Strong count as a melee skill for the purposes of making a hardened spear?

Because Melee is its own skill? Being able to lift a ton of bricks is not gonna make you know what kind of blade does the most damage in HTH.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Because Melee is its own skill? Being able to lift a ton of bricks is not gonna make you know what kind of blade does the most damage in HTH.

It's just weird because Strong enables a special melee ability like Melee and Tough which in my mind means they'd make sense as a melee group.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's just weird because Strong enables a special melee ability like Melee and Tough which in my mind means they'd make sense as a melee group.
You don't understand how a strong person could do certain things in a fight while a person with knowledge of melee weapons would have special knowledge about how to make them that a strong person wouldn't necessarily have?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You don't understand how a strong person could do certain things in a fight while a person with knowledge of melee weapons would have special knowledge about how to make them that a strong person wouldn't necessarily have?

My thinking was probably going too far into the videogame ways of doing and categorizing things probably. It's not that I don't get that strength as a characteristic does not realistically imply any specialized knowledge, but more that that's not always how traits are done in other things I've played.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I downloaded the demo yesterday, and although it looks great - the theme, setting and core mechanics are all cool, and the CONSTANT UNAVOIDABLE PERMADEATH detailed in this thread sounds awesome - it was way too easy! On a few playthroughs I didn't contract any diseases, didn't get poisoned (and I consumed more than my fair share of swamp water and unidentified flora), no cunning tricks from NPCs, and as long as I sorted out a heat source early on I seemed basically unkillable. Is this something that's different in the full version, or has the game just been remarketed towards whinging babies in the months before I necromancied this thread?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I haven't played the demo - is it limited to a certain area or stretch or time or something? Maybe it doesn't include a lot of bad stuff so that people don't just eat poo poo and avoid the full game.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's limited by area; basically you can just wander around near the starting area to get a feel for the mechanics, but there's not much by way of interesting locations/encounters. If it's the latest version you guys are dying repeatedly on I'll give it a shot; seems like a daft marketing ploy though to present the game as being completely challenge free...
Cheers

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The danger varies by area a bit and the starting area is generally fairly low risk, so that might be why. I'm guessing the demo probably doesn't include things like the blue frogs which is a cause of death for a lot of players. How hard the game is depends a lot on your skill choices, too - things like strong and trapping will generally make your game a lot easier overall than say, hacking or electronics.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How hard the game is depends a lot on your skill choices, too - things like strong and trapping will generally make your game a lot easier overall than say, hacking or electronics.

Hacking isn't worth it until it suddenly really is.

I could have played an entire game just about going out into the wilderness (what do you call something that's not quite a wasteland? Like NEO or STALKER) to crack old laptops and phones for paydata. There was something really thrilling about getting rich, and immediately dumping everything into implants and equipment in order to head back out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

Hacking isn't worth it until it suddenly really is.

I could have played an entire game just about going out into the wilderness (what do you call something that's not quite a wasteland? Like NEO or STALKER) to crack old laptops and phones for paydata. There was something really thrilling about getting rich, and immediately dumping everything into implants and equipment in order to head back out.

Yeah that's the thing - all of the skills are useful, but some of them don't really become useful until later in the game. Hacking is one of the best ways to make money, but if you don't live long enough to even make it to the DMC then that really doesn't do you a whole lot of good. Meanwhile Trapping and Melee will probably be fairly useful for you the whole way through.

Probably the least useful skills are Electrician and Mechanic - they have a bunch of uses during specific events, but otherwise don't do a whole lot (although electrician does let you build a frigging gauss rifle if you can find the parts). So if you're looking to make your game tougher, those might be ones to try. Another option is to take skills that are useful, but require a bit more finesse to use properly. Anyone can use Strong and Melee to just kill the poo poo out of stuff, but things like Hiding and Athletic can be used to avoid combat entirely if you use them well.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The danger varies by area a bit and the starting area is generally fairly low risk, so that might be why. I'm guessing the demo probably doesn't include things like the blue frogs which is a cause of death for a lot of players. How hard the game is depends a lot on your skill choices, too - things like strong and trapping will generally make your game a lot easier overall than say, hacking or electronics.

I haven't played in a few months, but I remember the starting area being dangerous as hell for the level of gear you had. I pretty much just beelined east until I saw DMC guards, then started poking around the periphery of their patrol area until I had some decent gear.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
@Borrovan, I'd have a hard time quantifying the demo's difficulty compared to the full game. They both use the same rules, but the demo has a subset of the data/content which could both work for and against a player.

What I can say is that difficulty can be quite variable at times, producing spikes of "too easy" and "too hard." Generally, folks find the game to err towards too hard at first, and it gets easier the more one learns to play it. However, common sense applies in most cases, so careful decision-making can make even a novice's experience easier.

What others are saying here is also true:

1 - Factions like the Blue Frog and feral dog packs exist only in the full version, and they can ruin one's day.
2 - Skill choices (and therefore play styles) can really change the game experience.
3 - Some regions are inherently harder than others (creatures, access to services, loot distribution, etc.).

And your "sorting out a heat source early" is probably one of the biggest early-game hurdles most stumble on.

I suspect the full version will give you a more variable experience, having more threats but also more tools available. And mods may be something you'll want to look into, as they can season the experience to-taste. However, if the demo is consistently way too easy for you, and you're craving more challenge, the full version probably won't ratchet that difficulty up like you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Another option is to take skills that are useful, but require a bit more finesse to use properly. Anyone can use Strong and Melee to just kill the poo poo out of stuff, but things like Hiding and Athletic can be used to avoid combat entirely if you use them well.

I tried taking Hiding and Athletic in my most recent playthrough and it worked out really well. Spoiler for easy playthrough: With those two, you can get Elusive really quickly by winning the combat at Zom Zom's (I do this with Hacking just because it's more entertaining) and then running from the Melonheads at Allegheny with Athletic. Then you can take off your medallion, wait for the Wraith to get 3 tiles away from you, and walk away from it until the lethal trap option pops up to get Unstoppable. At that point, barely anything will bother you.

Even without gaming for legendary stuff, they're very useful traits. If you actually bother to hide, you'll never have to engage an enemy you don't want to, and you get the drop on any enemies you do engage.

• Locked thread