Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I didn't consider wizard mode to be the same as sanctioned save-scumming, and I definitely don't have a problem with wizard mode. I would say wizard mode is only a gameplay option in the sense that cheatcodes are a gameplay option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There is a news post up about a player camp feature. It sounds pretty cool, here is the basic gist of it:
  • Each hex has a predefined list of suitable camp sites.
  • Each of these sites has some base stats (eg. concealment, resting/sleeping bonuses, shelter, item storage, encounter chance).
  • The first time a player enters a hex, it has no camp sites available.
  • Player must search for sites.
  • Player chooses their preferred camp site (if any are found).
  • Player gets all benefits of that camp site as long as they are in the hex and the camp remains installed.
  • Certain item types count towards the camp's stats. (eg. fire, shelter, alarms/traps, camouflage)
  • Wandering creatures will have a chance to see any camps when passing through a hex.
  • If the camp has traps or alarms in it, the player should be notified or woken up.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Some more info about player camps is up.

It looks like it's going to be a fun addition.

Also, a possible update to the UI:

quote:

I dropped the text labels, so there would be room for the two new buttons (there are still tooltips to help new users). The first, with the tent icon, is player camp (pictured above). The second is actually a possible new home for crafting.

e: VVVV Yep, it's pretty great :swoon:

Xik fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 30, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
He is really churning through the list of new features the fans are voting on, isn't he.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
More news regarding campsites. Some interesting bits:

quote:

I just figured out a system for remembering which camps have been used in which hexes. I'm hoping I can use this not only for the player, but also AI.

quote:

I also did some rewriting of the status bar code [..] They're now fully reporting camp stats, and applying them to the player when camp is selected.

quote:

Finally, there was a pretty big change to the container data.[..] Now, the game recognizes item types, such as liquids, tiny objects, larger objects, fire, etc. Each container specifies which types of objects it accepts, and each object specified which type it is. [..] You may notice a few items fitting into new containers in the next build, as a result.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

An interesting bug in beta mode:

If you go to a location with two recipe scraps, press 1 (without 4 active) to take the top recipe, the recipe under it will randomize if you press 2 to take the second recipe into your pack. Press 1 again to return both items to the ground, then repeat, and you'll keep getting a random recipe.

I'd post it on the beta forums but I'm lazy and BBG reads here sometimes.

EDIT: Actually, you can just keep using 1, but you have to use 2 to move the recipes you want to learn into their own inventory slot or you won't learn the new random recipe, it looks like.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Lord Banana posted:

Mostly no one plays it because real men play perma-death. It'd be good for getting the hang of the game without the threat of losing everything, so you can have a go at perma-death with some knowledge of the game. You know, if you're a crying little girl.

A lot of people seem to play the non-permadeath modes. Sissies, but yeah.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

S.T.C.A. posted:

An interesting bug in beta mode:

If you go to a location with two recipe scraps, press 1 (without 4 active) to take the top recipe, the recipe under it will randomize if you press 2 to take the second recipe into your pack. Press 1 again to return both items to the ground, then repeat, and you'll keep getting a random recipe.

I'd post it on the beta forums but I'm lazy and BBG reads here sometimes.

EDIT: Actually, you can just keep using 1, but you have to use 2 to move the recipes you want to learn into their own inventory slot or you won't learn the new random recipe, it looks like.

This has actually been posted in this thread a few times already so hopefully BBG will have it fixed soon :)

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!
Though you don't need recipes if you know of them in advance.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another update you can read on the main site. Here is a brief summary:

• Player camps are mostly functional now, except for two things: discovering camps, and AI behavior in camps. Dan throws around various ideas about this, read the full news for into on that.
  • Search has been added to the main site.
  • Crafting and Skills Interfaces have been changed. See screenshots below.
  • New hotkeys: The spacebar now confirms skill selection at the beginning of the game, as well as crafting when a valid recipe is in place.
  • The fan Wiki seems to actually have content now. Contribute! If you can stand the terrible Wikia design and layout.

New crafting screen

New skill screen

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another update on player camps can be read on the main site. As always, here is a brief overview:
  • Each hex has a maximum number of campsites it can contain.
  • By default, there is only one in each hex before the player arrives
  • When the player scavenges, the results may include a campsite.
  • Which campsite is found depends on the scavenge location searched. (eg. Apartment complex => "burned out apartment". Stretch of forest => "dense thicket of trees.")
  • The player has some control over the sites they find, and can use certain specialty items and skills to get special sites.
  • Possibly: obscuring certain campsite data based on skills. (eg. Hide the "concealment" value of a site if the player lacks the "Hide" skill)
Also, got my postcard yesterday. I don't think it really occurred to me how creepy it is to get a postcard with a lip print from some guy who I only really know of because he is developing a video game I enjoy.

The wonders of the Internet....

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Are campsites implemented fully yet? I was waiting for that to fire it up and have another play through.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are campsites implemented fully yet? I was waiting for that to fire it up and have another play through.

Nah, no new builds yet. I'll :frogsiren: the updates and make it clear when there are new buids to play around with.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another update which you can read on the main site. Also a interview with Daniel over here.

I'm guessing from the lack of discussion between my posts that it's probably best if I only post news items when there are actual build updates so we have something to talk about? Is there anyone following the thread that would like me to keep posting news that doesn't include actual build updates?

e: Very well, I'll continue to post about non-build updates too, I'm happy to do it but wasn't sure if anyone was interested.

Xik fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 5, 2012

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Xik posted:

Another update which you can read on the main site. Also a interview with Daniel over here.

I'm guessing from the lack of discussion between my posts that it's probably best if I only post news items when there are actual build updates so we have something to talk about? Is there anyone following the thread that would like me to keep posting news that doesn't include actual build updates?
I'm all for it. Its interesting. I'm currently waiting on the new build to drop before I go into it again.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I am following the game news from this thread as well.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Yeah, I only hit the site when I want to play so this thread is very helpful for just catching up.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
xik - thanks for keeping the thread going. I've been lurking - I started eagerly anticipating a SA thread about this game ever since I saw the RPS piece on it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

xik - thanks for keeping the thread going. I've been lurking - I started eagerly anticipating a SA thread about this game ever since I saw the RPS piece on it.

No problem. Yeah, RPS is how I was introduced to the game too. They practically dictate what games I check out/which ones I buy. Also:

:frogsiren: Huge Build Update: :frogsiren:

Demo Build: 0.916d (No change)
Beta Build: 0.927b

Full news item is on the site.

Beta only:
  • New Skills page. (As previously posted)
  • New Crafting screen. (As previously posted)
  • New Player camp feature. (See my previous post for an explanation of this.)
  • New Hotkeys. (See below)
  • Sleeping has been changed and now includes a "sleep quality" stat.
  • New trait: Insomnia, makes sleeping less effective.
  • Sneak button has been removed. You better scavenge for a good place to hide if you want to evade enemies.
  • Fixed traits: Apparently they were completely broken and the penalties weren't being applied in previous builds. OHGOD.
  • Creatures no longer auto-kill other creatures in their sleep.
  • Save/Load fix. Jar of Eyes should now be restored.
  • AI will now ignore creatures at range if it can't see them.
  • Campfires increase visibility and tracks/scent for creatures in the same space.
  • Scavenging now includes an explicit "Exit" option.
  • Spacebar now works on the skill selection and crafting confirm buttons.
  • Container code was updated as explained in a previous news update.

New hotkeys:
  • "E" opens the encounter screen
  • "R" opens the camp screen
  • "F" opens the crafting screen
  • "V" opens the vehicle screen

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

I've had the opportunity to dick around with the new Beta Build. There are some things I really like (hotkeys and camps), but a couple other changes bug me.

The separation of the crafting and inventory screens means that the only items visible on the crafting screen are items on the ground. If you forgot to drop, say, the pot you're carrying and don't have the "recipe" for boiled water, you then have to go back to the inventory, drop the pot, then go back to crafting. It's not a big deal, just a little sloppy.

Overall, though, I can't wait until I get a chance to really put some time into testing it out this weekend. So far today I haven't gotten far because a) I'm at work :ssh: and b) I've tried out a couple gimmicky combat-centric builds and it's gone . . . not great.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
+1 for the updates, this is genuinely fun and the updates are thick and fast.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I've had the opportunity to dick around with the new Beta Build. There are some things I really like (hotkeys and camps), but a couple other changes bug me.

The separation of the crafting and inventory screens means that the only items visible on the crafting screen are items on the ground. If you forgot to drop, say, the pot you're carrying and don't have the "recipe" for boiled water, you then have to go back to the inventory, drop the pot, then go back to crafting. It's not a big deal, just a little sloppy.

Overall, though, I can't wait until I get a chance to really put some time into testing it out this weekend. So far today I haven't gotten far because a) I'm at work :ssh: and b) I've tried out a couple gimmicky combat-centric builds and it's gone . . . not great.

Yeah pretty much any combat focused build is not going to do you any favours at the moment. I think there's just not enough to combat to really do well in it - ultimately fighting things will get you killed. The only difference the combat skills make are that it will take a couple more fights to get you killed than otherwise. It will probably be better once he takes a look at the combat system to make it a bit more interactive. I'm thinking that if he makes it work like he's described, where you can use skills and such like the very first encounter, combat skills will become a lot more useful.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

You must not have been the only one bugged by that because there is another build update that changes it back:

:frogsiren: Build Update: :frogsiren:

Demo Build: 0.916d (No change)
Beta Build: 0.928b

Beta only:
  • The crafting screen has been returned to the Items screen!
  • Rifle ammo now works in all rifles again.
  • Fixed a bug in swapping containers on the same slot
  • Fixed a bug in selling items to the store where the store would not credit items dropped onto a stack.
  • Fixed a bug with ammo display in the attack mode UI.
  • Fixed a bug which prevented wadded plastic bags from fitting inside opened plastic bags.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Huzzah, they fixed (some of) the things that were bugging me.

Now, if only they would keep taken/dropped items from ending up in my medkit, of all places, I would be a happy boy.

:toot: I finally found a shopping cart :pcgaming:

It was in an airport, oddly enough. I've been playing this game since the beta first came out and this is the first time I found one. The turn before, I found a rifle, sling, and 20 rounds of ammo. Clearly I will be doing nothing but playing this game today (until my dude dies of cholera).

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
So far I've only died of mortal injury. Guess I should be more careful.

On another note, I can't seem to make a big campfire. All I can find are twigs and medium branches. never been able to find a large log or anything else wooden to try out. Am I doing something wrong?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PokeWarVeteran posted:

So far I've only died of mortal injury. Guess I should be more careful.

On another note, I can't seem to make a big campfire. All I can find are twigs and medium branches. never been able to find a large log or anything else wooden to try out. Am I doing something wrong?

The medium branches are the largest log available. A campfire is just stick + twigs + lighter. Small campfires are just twigs + lighter.

Unless there's a third tier that I don't know about? But a regular campfire can do anything you need from a fire so I think that's it.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The medium branches are the largest log available. A campfire is just stick + twigs + lighter. Small campfires are just twigs + lighter.

Unless there's a third tier that I don't know about? But a regular campfire can do anything you need from a fire so I think that's it.

OH.
I thought you had to light the small fire, then add a log to it to make a larger one (you know, like real life: light the tinder, then add larger pieces slowly until the fire sustains itself). This way works too.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

PokeWarVeteran posted:

OH.
I thought you had to light the small fire, then add a log to it to make a larger one (you know, like real life: light the tinder, then add larger pieces slowly until the fire sustains itself). This way works too.

You can do that to keep your fire alive without using lighter fuel each time, but how useful that is in the current game is questionable. I really can't wait for the story to be expanded, the DMC bracelet is such a dirty tease!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PokeWarVeteran posted:

OH.

Actually you can do that too (small fire + stick = big fire). As Seashell says though, it's not very useful; currently nothing you can do can actually reduce a large fire to a small fire so there's no reason to stoke it since it takes several turns for it to actually burn out enough to become a small fire - more than enough time to do everything you need with it.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

These dudes sure make it hard to buy their game, no I'm not going to give you my phone number and mailing address jesus christ

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

not a dinosaur posted:

These dudes sure make it hard to buy their game, no I'm not going to give you my phone number and mailing address jesus christ

You mean everyone doesn't just bash in random poo poo for Things People Should Not Ask?

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
@not a dinosaur: I agree that those fields seem redundant. Unfortunately, the phone/address fields are a requirement of the payment processor (FastSpring/PayPal) since I am a new developer account.

However, I've heard rumors that once a developer has established themselves, they can request to have those fields removed from the PayPal order flow. The aforementioned link also points to a potential new payment feature which only requires username/password to verify PayPal credentials.

I've sent a support ticket into FastSpring to see if either of the above can be done for Blue Bottle Games, since we've now been live over a month, and have had no issues yet.

Hopefully, they'll grant the request. Thanks for the heads-up!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Beta Build: 0.929b

Beta only:
  • Added different accident outcomes when scavenging. Of these new accidents, roughly half have no associated injury at all, and are simply "flavor."
  • Roof collapse and ravine fall should now be reduced by 80% under normal circumstances, replaced by minor or non-injury outcomes.
  • New items: An 8x10 plastic tarp, a sleeping bag, a tarp shelter, and a new size for the newspaper item.
  • New recipe: Tarps can be combined with 6x string and 2x sticks to form a lean-to.

Tarps help protect against rain, as well as provide slightly improved sleeping and healing rates when installed in a camp, but will have slightly worse concealment. Sleeping bags offer improved sleep, warmth, and healing rates when installed in a camp.

e: VVVV Whoops, I forgot to add (regarding feature voting):

quote:

Camp has been the next priority, obviously. And as that gets fleshed out/stabilized, I'll probably retire it as well to make way for the next priorities. At the moment, that appears to be larger resolution and fonts, so if you disagree, now's the time to vote!

Xik fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 10, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

This new camping stuff is looking quite encouraging. BBG are you able to say at the moment if you are intending to next focus on giving us goals outside the city or inside?

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

BBG - The new update looks good, though camping wasn't crucial in the last build. As long as your scavenger has a complete set of clothes (shoes, jeans, two shirts, and a sweatshirt) cold and rain cease to be a problem. Are you intending to make weather conditions and cold more of a problem/nerf the effectiveness of clothes to make the new shelter options more necessary?

BBG are you able to say at the moment if you are intending to next focus on giving us goals outside the city or inside?

Yes, please do. I completed Hatter's quest for the urn and I was intrigued by all the paranormal :iiam: happenings at the cabin, but now have nowhere to go.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think camps are more to avoid getting murdered in your sleep rather than for shelter - shelter is good too but the primary purpose for camping at the moment is being hidden.

Actually an interesting addition to later versions could be more "extreme" weather patterns - from mundane stuff like snowstorms/heat waves in the winter/summer months, to more bizarre things like radioactive storms or brain wiping blast waves or something.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
Ok, so FastSpring was able to help me tweak the order flow after all. The process has a few extra steps now (e.g. product detail->shopping cart->payment info), but it'll allow users to choose the PayPal payment option and bypass phone and address info. Using PayPal, it actually defers to paypal.com, where the user logs in to confirm the purchase, before returning to the BBG/FastSpring order page. The CC option still requires the address, but the phone is now omitted.

Hopefully, this should make new customers feel a bit more comfortable with the order process. Thanks again for the tip!

Regarding goals inside vs. outside the city, do you mean further plot encounters? If so, I do plan to add some of each, though I'm not sure of the ratio yet. Playing inside the city would have a distinctively different feel from survival in the wilderness, so my first instinct is to keep inner-city adventuring limited to a few encounters, and perhaps expand on urban adventuring in a future game.

However, a number of players have expressed more than a little interest in "what lies inside the DMC walls," and I don't want them to feel jipped if the city plays a minor role. It's a tough call, but for now, my gut feeling is that NEO Scavenger plot should focus on locations requiring wilderness survival, with limited activity in the DMC.

As for timeline, future plot content is voted just below player camp and higher resolution/font size, so it should be coming up soon. The way things go, probably on the order of a few weeks out before I start work on it. Assuming, of course, feature voting priorities don't suddenly shift.

Lastly, there are a few more things I could try to make camping more fun/meaningful, and I think camp deserves at least a little more work before moving on to other features. One intriguing idea came from a user at BBG, plugger, regarding night time play mechanics. I won't paraphrase here, since he does a good job of illustrating in his post, but it has me thinking that it could make camp a more important consideration.

Extreme weather isn't out of the question either. If you're really lucky, you'll already see snow in the game (sometimes the random September weather dips below freezing during precipitation). Similarly, if the player survived long enough (e.g. months in-game) they'd see the climate transition into winter and later summer. I actually sampled some data from NOAA to model the in-game climate, so it should reflect realistic behavior over time.

The link above is from a time when the game also had wind and cloud-cover, though I backed-out those changes since it was often confusing for the player. I may add them back someday, though. And it's funny you mention the brain-wiping blast waves, I had a dream last night where some still-running facility was sending out random EM-like waves that caused cumulative effects in humans, much like rad dosages. I filed the idea in my list for reference later :)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

BlueBottleGames posted:

Regarding goals inside vs. outside the city, do you mean further plot encounters?

It could be plot encounters or just anything that motivates the player to keep doing stuff outside the city. As with all survival games, once you figure out a good strategy mere survival isn't much of a challenge for the player anymore. It might just be me but once my guy has a set of squirrel armor, a rifle, and ammo I don't feel like there are any more goals to set for myself so I create a new character.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

BlueBottleGames posted:

I had a dream last night where some still-running facility was sending out random EM-like waves that caused cumulative effects in humans, much like rad dosages. I filed the idea in my list for reference later :)

Heh, that's the plot for STALKER: Clear Sky. The player is one of a few that can survive emissions, but each time they do they suffer from irreversible brain damage. You'll be forgiven for not playing it though, it's the weakest game in the series.

I'm late to the party but I am on Kiwi time:

Beta Build: 0.930b

Beta only:
  • Inventory screen change: Using take/drop, top level containers have priority over sub-containers.
  • Save/Load Bug Fixed: Injuries being stuck even after healing.
  • New recipe: Reverse Tarp. Allow players to break down the shelter into parts again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

It could be plot encounters or just anything that motivates the player to keep doing stuff outside the city. As with all survival games, once you figure out a good strategy mere survival isn't much of a challenge for the player anymore. It might just be me but once my guy has a set of squirrel armor, a rifle, and ammo I don't feel like there are any more goals to set for myself so I create a new character.

For me, the best part of this game is the early parts, where you're way out of your depth and forced to improvise. Dehydrated? Scavenge up some water, but you have no way to purify it and no way to store it. So choose - drink it and risk getting sick, or cross your fingers the next scavenge will find purified water or the tools you need.

Since Xik brought up STALKER: Clear Sky, I'll use it to expand the analogy. There, my favorite part of the game (and really, the whole series), is one of the very early fights - you have a lovely pistol, a double barrel shotgun, and you have to fight a camp full of bandits. You are way outgunned and you have to make every shot count, while ducking in and out of cover because you only have a couple bandages and are in serious danger of bleeding out.
That sort of square peg-round hole challenge-with-the-wrong-set-of-tools situation is my favorite sort of gameplay. It's also what makes so much of this game a delightful challenge - you are hosed and it is AWESOME.

• Locked thread