Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there anywhere in particular I should try to be heading? Three or four games in a row now I've gone up to Zom Zom's, scavenged everything, and headed towards Detroit, but each time I've either run into a pack of dogs/dogmen or gotten killed by a Bad Mutha in my sleep despite setting noise traps.

...one time they took my rifle out of my hands and killed me with it while I was getting up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Head to Zom Zom's, get some stuff for trading in your info, to the north eastish there's the ATN enclave which will heal you up, feed you, and be an early source of equipment/cash. For having an easier time about it you'll want to grab Strong/Melee/Trapping and then take a couple negative points to get Ranged. Myopia is the only one you can get rid of from what I remember (by replacing your eyes in Detroit)

Woah, you can replace your eyes? Gonna have to try to not get into New Vegas mode, implants are like destination #1.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

So at Grayling, can you just take multiple foil coats with you and not need to worry about the box from Stoat/the mechanical doll/having Hacking? I'm playing Strong/Melee/Tough/Trapping, got a rifle from Stoat instead of the box (which I only knew about from the wiki, is it still in?), and couldn't get the Doll, so I'm wondering how I'd make it through this time.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How hard the game is depends a lot on your skill choices, too - things like strong and trapping will generally make your game a lot easier overall than say, hacking or electronics.

Hacking isn't worth it until it suddenly really is.

I could have played an entire game just about going out into the wilderness (what do you call something that's not quite a wasteland? Like NEO or STALKER) to crack old laptops and phones for paydata. There was something really thrilling about getting rich, and immediately dumping everything into implants and equipment in order to head back out.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Another option is to take skills that are useful, but require a bit more finesse to use properly. Anyone can use Strong and Melee to just kill the poo poo out of stuff, but things like Hiding and Athletic can be used to avoid combat entirely if you use them well.

I tried taking Hiding and Athletic in my most recent playthrough and it worked out really well. Spoiler for easy playthrough: With those two, you can get Elusive really quickly by winning the combat at Zom Zom's (I do this with Hacking just because it's more entertaining) and then running from the Melonheads at Allegheny with Athletic. Then you can take off your medallion, wait for the Wraith to get 3 tiles away from you, and walk away from it until the lethal trap option pops up to get Unstoppable. At that point, barely anything will bother you.

Even without gaming for legendary stuff, they're very useful traits. If you actually bother to hide, you'll never have to engage an enemy you don't want to, and you get the drop on any enemies you do engage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Related, does the meat at Zom Zom's give you problems since it's obviously human?

Oh yeah, has anyone figured out the best way (skills, items, etc) to find the most stuff from Grayling?

The meat does carry the same penalties as "regular" human meat.

I haven't tried to figure out how to get the most out of Grayling, but in theory you can take whatever skills, and just bring more than one Tin Foil coat.

• Locked thread