Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010
I don't know how many malaygoons there are here, but does anyone know any plamo stores that they'd swear by for good prices? (specifically in the kuala lumpur area?) i'm itching for that MG duel but all i've seen is are savings of a few (after conversion) hundred yen (ok fine its pretty new so it still hasnt gone down in price :v:)

UncleRadnor fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mecha Gojira posted:

That's because the Ver. Ka has a different glow than the animation version. They only sold the Ver. Ka as an online exclusive.

Here's a link to what it looks like in comparison with the regular kit.

poo poo, what will it take to get an OVA version with the green frame? I like the OVA weapons but that just looks so much nicer against the armour.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
You're either buying the expensive exclusive or the expensive Full Armor Unicorn to get a green frame. Or paint.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BizarroAzrael posted:

what will it take to get an OVA version with the green frame?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 1, 2012

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

UncleRadnor posted:

I don't know how many malaygoons there are here, but does anyone know any plamo stores that they'd swear by for good prices? (specifically in the kuala lumpur area?) i'm itching for that MG duel but all i've seen is are savings of a few (after conversion) hundred yen (ok fine its pretty new so it still hasnt gone down in price :v:)

If I recall, Gamers Arena in Times Square has some of the best prices available in KL. I really recommend you get that MG though. Bandai was on their A-game for this design.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Morgenthau posted:

If I recall, Gamers Arena in Times Square has some of the best prices available in KL. I really recommend you get that MG though. Bandai was on their A-game for this design.
Thanks :) Also, were there any hobby shops inside KLCC or midvalley? I remember reading about one in KLCC somewhere but i'm not sure anymore.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Oh god, a Chogokin RAcaseal from Phantasy Star Online is happening. I'm such a whore for PSO...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How good are the Revoltech Patlabor figures? I'm thinking of getting one because they look so cool (plus I watched the first movie and it kicked rear end)

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Zeether posted:

How good are the Revoltech Patlabor figures? I'm thinking of getting one because they look so cool (plus I watched the first movie and it kicked rear end)

I have all of them except the Helldiver (if anyone has it I'd be interested) and the Aqua type Griffon. I'm rather fond of them. Make sure to get the movie versions though, way better than the original ones. The biggest issue is Alphonse and 02 are under the same Revoltech production number so make sure you know which one you're getting. I had to argue with people for sending me the wrong one because they had it misrepresented.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Honest Ray posted:

I have all of them except the Helldiver (if anyone has it I'd be interested) and the Aqua type Griffon. I'm rather fond of them. Make sure to get the movie versions though, way better than the original ones. The biggest issue is Alphonse and 02 are under the same Revoltech production number so make sure you know which one you're getting. I had to argue with people for sending me the wrong one because they had it misrepresented.
It should be the movie version from the listing on Amazon. Can't wait to get it.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

UncleRadnor posted:

Thanks :) Also, were there any hobby shops inside KLCC or midvalley? I remember reading about one in KLCC somewhere but i'm not sure anymore.

You're Welcome. :)
Gunpla in KLCC is extinct, but XL Shop should have some in Midvalley. Best bets are still the Sungei wang-Times square ares due to the sheer variety and competitive pricing there.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How tough is the HGM Neue Ziel to handle for a complete newbie? I noticed it's like 10 bucks on hobbylink japan and NZ has always been my favorite MA.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got the Revoltech Patlabor in today, and...it can't hold the revolvers or the shotgun. The hands for holding them seem to be sculpted wrong.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Zeether posted:

I got the Revoltech Patlabor in today, and...it can't hold the revolvers or the shotgun. The hands for holding them seem to be sculpted wrong.

I had this problem too. Seeing as you're in a modelling thread, what you need to do is take your exacto knife and shave off some of the paint on the inside of the hand which will let the robot hold it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Honest Ray posted:

I had this problem too. Seeing as you're in a modelling thread, what you need to do is take your exacto knife and shave off some of the paint on the inside of the hand which will let the robot hold it.
I think I figured out an easier way. The thumb and forefinger were fused together with plastic, so I cut between them and now it holds the gun.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 6, 2012

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zeether posted:

I think I figured out an easier way. The thumb and forefinger were fused together with plastic, so I cut between them and now it holds the gun.

That's exactly what I had to do with mine to fix the same problem, haven't had an issue since.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I may as well post it holding a gun.

Didn't notice it before but the shotgun has a working pump. Badass.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Does anyone recognize these renders? Are they from some videogame or did did we just get a preview of Real Grade CCA?

edit: conclusions should not be jumped towards, obviously, but it's very much in the RG style. Maybe that's the new official "look" for everything now?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Does anyone recognize these renders? Are they from some videogame or did did we just get a preview of Real Grade CCA?

I can't answer, but I hope so! Sazabi matching that would be fantastic.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Does anyone know if it's possible to order single replacement parts for Super Robot Chogokin figures (and if so from where)? I love my Mazinger Z, but I lost the drat pilder in my last move and it's just heartbreaking to see him without it.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to order single replacement parts for Super Robot Chogokin figures (and if so from where)? I love my Mazinger Z, but I lost the drat pilder in my last move and it's just heartbreaking to see him without it.

You can always try contacting Bluefin, the North American Distributor for Tamashii Nations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reposting here because I've decided to get rid of a bunch of Gunpla:

quote:

Dug out a box of my really old Transformers that I planned on selling, but don't really want to deal with the hassle of figuring out what parts go where, what the average price per dude is, and such. This is almost all G1-G2 stuff, and at least a dozen of them have parts, most are in good condition, but a few are busted like Soundwave and one of the Insecticons(good for parts I suppose). I don't know what to ask for it, if anyone's interested in them, by all means, make an offer.

Also selling some stuff from my main collection, an Energon Omega Supreme body with no extra parts, but still makes for an excellent display piece because really, he's loving huge. Also a Blaster that's in pretty good shape, no accessories, and one of the speakers needs to be reattached as it's come loose inside his leg. Pictures of those and a bunch of Gunpla I'm selling including a somewhat busted Perfect Grade Wing Zero, GP-02, Altairlion, Wildwurger, RX-78, broken hip Zaku, and a weeeeeird remote control car that also transforms into a robot that I got years ago.

http://imgur.com/a/nc7G4

Make me an offer on any of it, either via PM or captaininvictus@gmail.com , I'm only really looking for cash. I'd prefer to get rid of the big lot in one go, so if you're looking for stuff to resell, by all means make an offer on it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'll probably finally get around to trying my hand at painting kits and I have a quick question. After priming the parts how long should I wait before paint can be applied?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Really depends on the kind of primer you use. I prime with Tamiya fine surface primer which I think is lacquer based so I usually wait about a day before painting onto it, but it's honestly probably dry within a few hours.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lostconfused posted:

I'll probably finally get around to trying my hand at painting kits and I have a quick question. After priming the parts how long should I wait before paint can be applied?

I use the Vallejo grey primer and its dry to touch in 10 min. I wait at least 30 min to be sure but It doesn't feel like i need to. That's probably because I'm running it through an airbrush and not hand painting it. I buy it in a pretty large 200ml and I can pour it right into the paint cup as is. I hear it can be bought in 1000ml but i have not seen it.

I would love to try other primers, but this one works so great I don't see why I would.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 16, 2012

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I finally got around to ordering some Mr. Color last week. I have to admit, acrylic lacquer is amazing.

The coverage is fantastic. One coat for perfect colors, and dries in just minutes. Hard coat, with great adhesion. I didn't have any trouble with sliding painted parts sticking or not fitting together.

Incredibly expensive, but IMO worth it. I'm sure I was taken price wise, but I didn't have time to research too much, and I did get it nearly the next day.

It was ~$6.50 per color, and $25 for a bottle of thinner (but you need 2 kinds, "leveling" with retarder for brush painting, and normal for cleanup and airbrushing. $150 got me white & black, R,Y,Bl,G,Br, and silver, some flat base, Mr.Surfacer 500, 1000, and 1200, and the afore mentioned 2 bottles of thinner.

I need to get some nice brushes to really put the icing on top of this new setup. also, set up a ventilation system for airbrushing again.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 16, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://i.imgur.com/BmQEe.jpg

So this is something i've been working on for a couple days now. It's still got a shitload of touching up to do even after I get it fully assembled (be gentle on me pro airbrushers), but so far i'm pleased with how the "Heaven Gundam" is turning out so far. I'll post pictures later of what I had to do to get Wing Zero's shoulders to go on God Gundam's arms.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TaurusOxford posted:

http://i.imgur.com/BmQEe.jpg

So this is something i've been working on for a couple days now. It's still got a shitload of touching up to do even after I get it fully assembled (be gentle on me pro airbrushers), but so far i'm pleased with how the "Heaven Gundam" is turning out so far. I'll post pictures later of what I had to do to get Wing Zero's shoulders to go on God Gundam's arms.

Holy jesus. The best... just got BESTER :stare:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://i.imgur.com/xp6L9.jpg

Small update, just with one of his arms attached. It surprises me just how good Wing Zero's shoulder works with God Gundam design-wise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So... um... yeah. I made a thing but painted it different because... stuff. The high-res images I found on the con's website make me regret entering the painting competition with it. It doesn't help that they posed it all :downs: when taking pictures either.

Anyway:

First time in ages that I've painted something big, and the techniques that work with smaller stuff don't quite hold true at that scale.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

My Heaven Gundam is completed(minus that bit of chipped paint that just fell off him :argh:). For my first time painting and modding, i'm pleased with what I have made. Any criticisms and advice are greatly appreciated in case I get crazy enough to start painting and/or modding more kits.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 18, 2012

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

TaurusOxford posted:

My Heaven Gundam is completed(minus that bit of chipped paint that just fell off him :argh:). For my first time painting and modding, i'm pleased with what I have made. Any criticisms and advice are greatly appreciated in case I get crazy enough to start painting and/or modding more kits.

Honestly, I like it. Can't say I could do any better myself, and I really appreciate the creativity involved. Looks great, not even mentioning the fact that it's a first try.

One note, though: you're not going to load its beam sabers?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I did after the fact. Forgot all about them honestly. Thanks for the praise too. :)

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 18, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

This is getting stupid. I know getting RG Zeta was a stretch, but Christ Bandai, stop milking SEED kits.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno, it was a pretty fun kit to build as 1/100 no grade. If its anything like the RG freedom I will buy for sure.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Christ Bandai, stop milking SEED kits.

Why should they? There's obviously a market for them.

edit: can't say I was expecting either of these:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 23, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TaurusOxford posted:

This is getting stupid. I know getting RG Zeta was a stretch, but Christ Bandai, stop milking SEED kits.

Seed is the most popular gundam in Japan for some god forsaken reason, they will never stop milking the poo poo out of it. Why you think it got a PSP Vita exclusive game just recently? :eng99:

EDIT: Has anyone tried using painters tape with gundam markers? I only ask because I'm working on SD King J-Der, and there are some red details I want to paint and I have a gundam marker that's the perfect color. I tested it on some spare sprue, and it's very watery and runny compared to some other markers I've used. I figure I can use painters tape, but I'm worried it might leak underneath. Any ideas?

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 23, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Seed is the most popular gundam in Japan for some god forsaken reason, they will never stop milking the poo poo out of it. Why you think it got a PSP Vita exclusive game just recently? :eng99:

EDIT: Has anyone tried using painters tape with gundam markers? I only ask because I'm working on SD King J-Der, and there are some red details I want to paint and I have a gundam marker that's the perfect color. I tested it on some spare sprue, and it's very watery and runny compared to some other markers I've used. I figure I can use painters tape, but I'm worried it might leak underneath. Any ideas?

Use the tape and then use a toothpick to press the tape down smooth against the plastic? Might make a better seal so there's less chance of it leaking.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Why should they? There's obviously a market for them.

edit: can't say I was expecting either of these:

Word is that HGUC Byarlant Custam and Hamburai are coming this year too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Word is that HGUC Byarlant Custam and Hamburai are coming this year too.

Hammrabi is getting a release? I've been wanting one of those forever! Now I can pay Yazan the proper tribute he deserves.

• Locked thread