Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Dynames is pretty heavy on the stickers. Hope you're good at painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dynames itself is a pretty nice kit, but you'll definitely have to do something to tighten up the ball joints. Maybe it was just mine, but the joints are so weak, it can't hold its rifle, and falls over if it isn't propped up. I should probably fix that with some Future some day, and maybe go back and clean it up since it was my first kit and kinda looks the part.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Dynames is pretty heavy on the stickers. Hope you're good at painting.

Well I've put together the Exia and the 00 so it can't be that bad right? I don't mind stickers as long as it's not something as bad as the Exia shield sticker.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I loved Gundam Throne Zwei by the way, one I'd consider doing again. And GN-X III, which is really only a slight mod of an S1 kit with a cool lance. Covers a couple of parts with stickers to get the colours right, so best paint it.

Wonder when we'll see more 00 MGs? I know a proto for the Thrones exists (possibly around the Exia/00 frame) and there's the GN-X III from GN-X. Guess the natural progression would have some of the other CB suits first, but Bandai don't seem to beholden to that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wonder when we'll see more 00 MGs? I know a proto for the Thrones exists (possibly around the Exia/00 frame) and there's the GN-X III from GN-X. Guess the natural progression would have some of the other CB suits first, but Bandai don't seem to beholden to that.

I hope we some more. I love 00 designs and the fact that there's still no mg reborns is drat near criminal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

I hope we some more. I love 00 designs and the fact that there's still no mg reborns is drat near criminal.

The Reborns is a pretty nice design for the most part, but I want to know what genius thought sticking a GN Drive on an arm was a good idea. Most Mobile Suits don't have a good track record for keeping those by the end of a big battle.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Barring a sudden 00 revival, we have a better chance of seeing the rest of the CB suits in RG form before they make it to MG.

I mean to put things in perspective, we literally only got MG GN-X because a Bandai executive was asked what his favorite 00 design was. 00 just didn't do well enough to get MGs for everyone, especially the really gimmicky stuff like Virtue and Reborns.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Reborns is a pretty nice design for the most part, but I want to know what genius thought sticking a GN Drive on an arm was a good idea. Most Mobile Suits don't have a good track record for keeping those by the end of a big battle.

I think it was a combination of rushed development, to keep them out of the way in both modes, and because it looks cool. And it was Reborns that left it's big fight with the 00 Raiser with all limbs intact.

Edit: It actually lost a hand and a bit of leg, but neither of the Drives. Actually, it left the fight with one extra drive.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love mono-eye suits but I loving hate doing individual cable links. I just built a Gelgoog and I was overjoyed that there were no cables at all.

It took me two kits to realize that those long rods that eventually get cut off are for sliding down the sprue and collecting all the cable links at once. I'd been doing them individually and then pushing them on with my hands. I didn't realize it until I saw someone doing it on a photo on dalong.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

MG RX-78-2 3.0 quick build video my husband made. I think he did it in 6 or 7 hours IIRC.

http://youtu.be/fmXEk5ak15E

His spelling is bad, I should probably help him with that later.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I watched that to see how he would react to the arms. I laughed when he got to them and just started glancing at the manual constantly to see what the gently caress he was even supposed to do. :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 19, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BlitzBlast posted:

I watched that to see how he would react to the arms. I laughed when he got to them and just started glancing at the manual constantly to see what the gently caress he was even supposed to do. :allears:

Yeah I was airbrushing in the other corner the whole time and he was cursing pretty much constantly about the arms. Also, he said the wrists are pretty weak as is, was that your experience too?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, it's a flaw with the Emotion Manipulators. Only real solution is to future the hell out of it, and even then there's only so much weight it can support.

In other news, jump kicks are hard.

Alternative witty comment: Nu and Sazabi as sick of waiting and are now eliminating my backlog for me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What is particularly bad about the 3.0 arms, and is there a common mistake I should watch out for?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's not outright bad, it's just over complicated. Most arms are built like shoulder > tricep > joint > bicep > wrist > hand, with each step having a peg into polycap connection or something similar.

The 3.0, in order to achieve maximum flexibility, instead has you suspend the tricep and the bicep inside this little copper part, then tries to stabilize it with two side parts. This is a) really annoying to do, b) absolute hell on any paint you put on these pieces, and c) very, very, very prone to going wrong. If any of the pieces involved gets damaged even a bit, the entire thing will pretty much stop working. A while back I bitched how when I disassembled the arm to paint the copper pieces, I slightly scraped a piece and now the arm just falls apart if I bend it too far.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm building those arms right now, and they're pretty fussy alright. What you've got is a bunch of complicated shapes that don't completely set in place until the elbow covers go on, so getting them all together is like herding very tiny cats.

The real trick, I think, is to avoid putting any direct pressure on the brackets (H-2) when putting the elbow covers on. I also found it easier to deviate from the build order slightly and add the arm subframes one at a time, rather than try to wrestle both of them into place simultaneously.

And yes, it did absolutely murder the paint on H2, but in my case it was a quick good-enough job that was neither cured nor sealed. I'll either touch it up in-place or soak it off, but I'm not inclined to take the arms apart again. in fact, if I ever decide to go ahead and fully paint this thing, I think I'll just save myself the grief and buy another kit, because I can't see a disassembly ending in anything but tears.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So if you're going to paint this kit, doing a test fit for that part is a no go, huh?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
That looks similar to the knee joint on the mg God I built. I don't know how I did it, but I got that bad boy on backwards and didn't know why the thigh armor wouldn't fit on.

Twice.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Honestly, I think the days of test-fits being a viable thing for MG may have passed. There are too many fiddly parts, too many punch-in assemblies, and the overall fit tolerance is too fine. And the plastic is definitely shittier than it used to be, for whatever reason, and as such seems much more prone to damage when prying tight-fitting pieces apart. I was obliged to pull my 3.0 apart here and there and the results were not pretty.

My philosophy has always been to build and enjoy the kit now and maybe get around to painting it in the ever-nebulous future, but it looks like I may have to pick one or the other from now on.

The Missing Link posted:

That looks similar to the knee joint on the mg God I built. I don't know how I did it, but I got that bad boy on backwards and didn't know why the thigh armor wouldn't fit on.

That one seems to happen a lot, actually. It's one of those rare cases where you actually can put the part on the wrong way, and I almost borked the knee mechanism before I figured things out.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 19, 2014

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013
Just finished the Nu-Gundam Ver. Ka. I took my time with it, but man, it was fun. I'm glad it came with a stand because those funnels add weight real fast. Did some quick panel lining with a fine point marker, still need to do water slides and get the LED.

Apologies for crappy pictures, finished up at like 5am and passed out after doing some quick poses for friends.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

My NG FAZZ is in, and to the surprise of absolutely nobody it's a piece of poo poo. Actually no, the overall quality of gunpla has risen so high that even piece of poo poo kits are above this thing. This thing is like, poo poo squared.

First off, runners aren't alphabetized. It's just a series of numbers parts going from 1 to like 140. Parts separation is rear end, proportions are hilariously bad, color separation may as well not exist, blah blah blah you expected that.

You probably didn't expect the pieces to not fit. This isn't a QC mistake or anything, these two pieces will straight up not fit together like the manual says they will.

So you have to mod them. Theoretically you can build either a ZZ or a FAZZ out of this kit, but you sure as hell can't have both.

Anyways this project looks to be pretty time-intensive, and I'm short on that right now. So I just cut off the skirt armor and test fitted them on the ZZ.

The wings fit perfectly, though that's polycaps for you. The front skirt will be easy to mod in place, though I'll probably have to separate it from the torso armor. Which doesn't fit all that well, but should be easy enough to mod.

What? The back skirt armor?

The back skirt doesn't exist. :allears: I dunno, I might scratch build one, or I might just look around dalong for something similar and mod that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That kit is literally the last of its breed: everything after that was snap-fit, multi-colored and just generally more in tune with what we expect today.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

My NG FAZZ is in, and to the surprise of absolutely nobody it's a piece of poo poo. Actually no, the overall quality of gunpla has risen so high that even piece of poo poo kits are above this thing. This thing is like, poo poo squared.

First off, runners aren't alphabetized. It's just a series of numbers parts going from 1 to like 140. Parts separation is rear end, proportions are hilariously bad, color separation may as well not exist, blah blah blah you expected that.

You probably didn't expect the pieces to not fit. This isn't a QC mistake or anything, these two pieces will straight up not fit together like the manual says they will.

So you have to mod them. Theoretically you can build either a ZZ or a FAZZ out of this kit, but you sure as hell can't have both.

Anyways this project looks to be pretty time-intensive, and I'm short on that right now. So I just cut off the skirt armor and test fitted them on the ZZ.

The wings fit perfectly, though that's polycaps for you. The front skirt will be easy to mod in place, though I'll probably have to separate it from the torso armor. Which doesn't fit all that well, but should be easy enough to mod.

What? The back skirt armor?

The back skirt doesn't exist. :allears: I dunno, I might scratch build one, or I might just look around dalong for something similar and mod that.

Wow, and I thought my HG Freedom was crap.

Also, I think we should all just quit the hobby now while we're ahead, because I don't think any of us will ever top these Customized Beargguy III's :allears:.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are any of the NGs decent, or are pretty much all of them poo poo?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pretty much every NG I've seen has been a piece of trash. The only time I'd ever consider going for one is if there's no other option, like if you desperately need a Strike Dagger or any of the underwater ZAFT suits.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, and I thought my HG Freedom was crap.

Also, I think we should all just quit the hobby now while we're ahead, because I don't think any of us will ever top these Customized Beargguy III's :allears:.

I'm adoring what people have been doing with the Beargguy III's, especially the ones from a month ago modded to look like Unicorn and Banshee in Destroy Mode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By modern standards? HG Stargazer was pretty rad, and the NG 1/100s of the various Destiny/00 kits are middling to pretty good. Anything older than that runs right into poo poo territory, though if you're willing to put the work into them the 1/100 Victory and X kits could be pretty decent display pieces. Same goes for the Wing kits, but there's a MG of pretty much all the main Wing stuff now so why bother.

Also I didn't mention it, but pretty much none of the pegs in the NG FAZZ hold together. It's glue or bust.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So since we've had some picture dumps. I finished my new MG Turn A after I scrapped the last one. Just waiting on stands for it and the Sengoku Astray to come in so I can mess around with dynamic posing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Time for a double build:

I'm gonna have to buy more action bases.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

I knew the legs would be big, but holy poo poo.

Also, I've only used a little more than a third of the runners so far. The backpack(s) and weapons are gonna be gigantic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You want big legs?

Miss Sazabi is even taller than her original. :allears:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You want big legs?

I'm guessing that's the High Grade?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, the MG Tallgeese was released in 2013 and still uses sword/gun/fist hands? That's disappointing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You want big legs?

I hope she's worth the shipping costs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, the MG Tallgeese was released in 2013 and still uses sword/gun/fist hands? That's disappointing.

That's hardly a shock. The Tallgeese is a small MS, and given how finicky the 3.0 hands can be when they're Nu Gundam sized, shrinking them down would make them very irritating to pose with.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Shame Dalong doesn't do reviews with cigarette carton comparisons for non-HG kits, I really like the look of the BB Neo Zeong, and would like to get an extra one to scavenge parts for an HG bash. Would quite like to use the shoulders for something, but can't be sure they're the right size.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TaurusOxford posted:

That's hardly a shock. The Tallgeese is a small MS, and given how finicky the 3.0 hands can be when they're Nu Gundam sized, shrinking them down would make them very irritating to pose with.

i will also take normal molded hands over the emotion manipulators any day of the week.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Shame Dalong doesn't do reviews with cigarette carton comparisons for non-HG kits, I really like the look of the BB Neo Zeong, and would like to get an extra one to scavenge parts for an HG bash. Would quite like to use the shoulders for something, but can't be sure they're the right size.
Best I can do:

Seeing as how the Thing is a big jacket for the base Sd it should give some idea.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

That's just the Wing vEW kits in general. I dunno why Bandai moved away from the 3-1-and-then-the-thumb hands, but it's easy enough to fix. Just grab some hands from another MG and plug them in.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Shame Dalong doesn't do reviews with cigarette carton comparisons for non-HG kits

He does.

What's probably tripping you up is that the SD Neo Zeong hasn't come out yet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

The EW wing figures are sorta dainty compared to most of the UC figures.

The Wing Gundam Ver EW used three-one-thumb and it sucks poo poo. I wish it was the sword gun fist ones cuz it can't grip the Buster Rifle for the life of it.

What's more inexplicable is the Ver EW Epyon DOES use sword/fist hands and they look really really cheap.

Honestly I should just swap their hands now that I think of it, since they are perfectly wrong for their own accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Does Heavyarms extend to those criticisms? That's on my list as a kit I may like, but if it's flimsy/finnicky/poorly poseable I don't want it.

• Locked thread