Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Paint the eyes silver and then colour in everything not eyes black with your panel lining pen. Or paint everything black and then use your thin panel lining brush to do the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
God, I barely make a dent on my backlog and then there's Blitz, AGE-1 (and the variants) and AGE-2 and the RG Strike packs.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's time to start gearing up to build Sinanju and I come to the problem of the trim. My plan is to spray the areas gold with acrylic or enamel and then do a layer of black in the other medium on top which I'll then rub off from the raised areas with something to reveal the gold underneath. Basically the same principal behind a panel line wash and clean up.

It'll be something like this but gold and black.

What will remove acrylic but not the enamel (or the other way round)? I currently use surgical spirit to clean up my acrylic washes, but that's only over bare plastic, does anybody know how it interacts with enamel?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Oh Snapalope posted:

Work in progress:

Finished:

Excuse the poor posing, I'll make a good hangar pose tomorrow since I'm too tired today.

The MG Mk.2 is one of my favourite builds, just everything about it was great, even the tubing despite having to cut it myself. Just a really solid kit all round.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
And I'm sitting here feeling bad for 3 kits goddamn, you guys take it to an artform.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Colon Semicolon posted:

I was under the impression that the old SOC of Gunbuster had shoulder joints that allowed for 'the pose'.

Anyway, got a fancy new Frame Arms kit, Fleswerk.

this is actually alot better than the Rapier Zephyr on the left, especially in terms of holding itself together. Everything is very snug and the parts move very well. (Which there is alot of, considering it transforms)
Now if only Kotobukiya would work on making all of their kits as solid as this.

That's correct, SOC Gunbuster has a moving shoulder joint that puts it completely out of position but let's you do the pose. SOC Gunbuster owns.

Kotobuiya kits have such a huge variety of quality. Some of their kits are superb but others some might even be broken on the sprue, it's weird.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Second one looks like a Z'Gokk. Last one looks like something with broad shoulders and then two big pods/something on the back, sorta like the Palace Athene but not.

edit: beaten by high five speculation buddies

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hey, isn't that new DX Mazinger Z coming out soon? I wonder how big the box for it will b-

:stare:

That certainly explains the $300 pricetag. It's so beautiful.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Another thing to make cool poses: generally your shoulders and hips go in opposite directions. If your left leg is forwards then your right shoulder will be forward too. Just think of how you walk or stretch to reach things.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACanofPepsi posted:

I like how this picture turned out.

I heard back from the contest people today and they just checked my email address against the one in their database and asked where to ship the prize. http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN924923 I`m pretty sure that`s what I won.

You said in an earlier post you won the MG Red Frame revised edition which is this one and it's amazing. It doesn't have the rifle and shield, but it does have two swords and the ridiculous backpack.

That Tallgeese looks great. I've got a list a mile long too, but haven't had time or energy to build anything recently. Summer's coming up so hopefully I can get to work on Sinanju's frilly bits.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACanofPepsi posted:

You're correct this is the one I am getting. It's also worth quite a bit more money which I hope means a more complicated build.

I got it on the recommendation of this thread and it was a real blast to build and I'm seriously considering getting the Blue Frame too.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The OVA Unicorn kit has a couple of modifications that make it better, like a big lump of plastic that blocked the waist rotation that's on the Ka. being removed. I don't know what version the FA is.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

What's the rule about using enamels and acrylics on the same kit? acrylics down first then enamel?

Enamel first because once it's dried that means you can acrylic to your hearts content and wipe it away with water before it's dry and it won't touch the enamel at all.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

As long as it's even and doesn't rub off easily, it doesn't really matter what you use. The color of the panel line is more important.

This is right, generally on white you want a grey and and you go darker along with the base colour.

I did my RX-78 2.0 with black rather than light grey pencil because I wanted to recreate the lines of the original cartoon, especially the freezeframe shots like when Amuro kills the first Zaku and jacks up the Gouf and I think it looks cool so don't be afraid to just do whatever because it's easily fixable with an eraser.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well you can't say something like that without sharing a better example :colbert:. Oh and I actually came across a surprising find in my local model store the other day - a Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom with the Pearl Mirror finish. For $449AU :shepface:.

This is one of my other favourites.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ok, so who has painted a Sinanju and what colour red did you use? I'm colour blind so I can't see poo poo, but there are various recommendations. Tamiya Mica Red is one I see thrown around a lot.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

neurotech posted:

Alright I've already got a question.

At what stage of assembly should I do my detail lines?

If you're not painting anything and are really lazy you can do the wash method to everything while on the runner, but I think panel lines are mostly done as the final step.

The wash method is basically taking your panel lining colour, making a really watery paint and then slapping it all over any lines on the parts. Once dry you just go over the whole thing with whatever thinner works for your paint (I do acrylic washes so surgical spirit) on a cotton bud to mop up all the excess leaving just the stuff in the lines.

I wonder what the decals on the Sazabi Ver.Ka are gonna be.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

Is there any way I can find out the planned shipping date of a new production run of an out of stock kit? I worded that badly but I'm sure someone knows what I mean

Like when a kit sells out and you want to know when it's planned to get a next run and be available again? I'd really like to know if anywhere has this info too.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That looks real nice! I seriously love the Mk. II and the 2.0 is a great kit. Has anyone built the RG?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm pretty anxious about painting the frame for the MG Sinanju because I'm worried about everything getting chipped and clipping the parts at an angle so everything can come apart and that's just the outer pieces, let alone all the parts that rub together! Any tips?

Has anyone seen much of the RX-78-2 3.0 that's coming out soonish?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
drat! I've ordered the extra weapon set because I have a soft spot for hammer and double bazooka action. I'll grab the actual Gundam later, but it's lookin pretty fancy!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

I wanted a second bazooka too, but not 20 bucks want. I'll grab a 2.0 eventually, and they share the same core fighter and bazooka and most of the beam rifle, so I'll have two then.

I've been looking at the Full Armour Gundam 2.0 and the fact it doesn't come with a big shield is criminal so I'm probably going to end up getting another 2.0 as well, this is what I get for being a stupid idiot.

BlitzBlast posted:

Uh, honestly? I'm not really sure why you'd want to paint the frame in the first place for all of those reasons you stated. I guess you'll just have to hope your topcoat is durable enough to protect your paint?

Yeah I think I might just do a matte topcoat to take the plastic sheen off a little rather than a full on painting of the frame.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I love extra armour style stuff that makes a mobile suit look like a walking tank sorta thing and the FA RX-78 is pushing all my buttons in terms of bulk and heavy weaponry. I think it'd look cool with that wind up motor minigun from kotobukiya too.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

If you want bulk and ridiculous weapons, then the FA ZZ is the only acceptable option. :colbert:

Or the AGE-1 Full Glansa, that's cool too.
FA ZZ is too much for me (though if they made a newer one...), I even like the regular S Gundam, but the EX-S definitely fits it's namesake as far as I'm concerned. I like the Full Glansa though, I just wish it was MG, I really like how they upped the detail on the AGE 1 for the MG.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I read the gaijin-gunpla review they look better when balled up a bit than when fully extended, but still a lil' weird and square at certain angles. He said he went in with "ugh it's just a big RG" but then it's actually just a really cool kit that's more 2.5 than 3.0, more than just a big RG and it's big enough that all the extra detail is super cool so two thumbs up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah! I've got mine with the hammer from the 2.0 for double hammer action!

What's the general opinion of the Zaku II and Gelgoog 2.0 kits? How's the MG Gouf Custom? I think it's older than the Gouf 2.0 and I'm wary of older kits. Same with an MG Dom of any variety, they're all pretty old too I think.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bimmi posted:

MG Gouf Custom is crap, to put it bluntly. Looks great but bad, bad structure. Sorely in need of a redo, which I somewhat doubt will ever come.

MG Dom is definitely old as balls but is still a well-done, solid kit and worth having. Head and shoulders above every other kit of its era.

Yeah that's what I was worried about for the Gouf Custom. It got the HG redo a few years ago, but I doubt an MG will ever come since it didn't pop up just after the Gouf 2.0. I'm glad to hear that about the Dom though, I love that chunky guy.

I just use a craft knife, needle files, pin vise and snippers all the regular stuff. The only thing I use that's not a thing everybody uses is this 6 way nail file/buffer block it has 3 different grades of sandpaper ranging from pretty fine to REALLY fine and then the 3 buffer parts are good for removing scuff marks left by filing. It's a little squidgy and depending on how rough I am on it will only last 1.5 MG kits before the two roughest sandpapers start getting tears in them, but I've had some nice results completely removing white stress marks from stuff with it. Also usable to make your nails look nice!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

In any case, I think I'll actually pop the box art for the 3.0 up on my wall somewhere.

Anyone try out the hobby base hands? I just ordered a couple sets, Zeon and EFSF style, to mess around with. I'm hoping they might work out well as substitutes for the new MG hands.

There's always the Builders Parts 1/100 Federation hands which are official Bandai ones too.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Gabthley with Susanoo is really cool. It's a only a little tweak, but I could see that being some ace pilot's custom unit. I'm not sure if the idea behind the Miku dragontaur thing is good or not, but I can't fault the execution in maing a horrible mess. I really like the Zaku Sled too, if only because I'm pretty sure someone woke up and went "poo poo I haven't done anything for the custom Gunpla thing! uhhhh, ah half a Zaku and... a Unicorn shield? Where's my super glue..." and declared it a success.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Hell yeah! Now I get to buy all the GaoGaiGar tools again, but cooler!

Nice job! Coming up with custom paint schemes or transferring a character's custom colour scheme to a different suit is always interesting, especially when more effort than "Char = Red" is put in. Any plans for more, or is it going to be a matter of inspiration?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I love the Astray frames to build so I could get those and be happy. Bandai Premium means it's exclusive to their webshop, but not in a limited quantity right?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Agggh, I'll have to keep an eye out then, pisss.

I think the Gold Frame in that picture is the HG that's on the Bandai store right now.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'd just like to say I hate enamel paint goddamn. It stinks real bad. Hopefully this new can will spray better that the other one cos this reverse wash step is really holding up my Sinanju! After this I'm definitely getting an airbrush in the Spring, it's just way more economical that spraycans if you're doing a whole MG.

I love the MG Astrays and I'm the idiot that'll pay the extra and encourage their premium shop for the Noir and Red Frame Regular. It's just so easy and fun to pose and a pleasure to build and it has the cool toys.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Cat Hatter posted:

Ugh, my Sinanju made me wish I'd never heard the phrase "reverse wash". I'm convinced that the Sleeves lose the conflict because their mechanics are too busy putting intricate pin-striping on everything instead of doing maintenance.

High five Sleeves buddy. I got a cool new can and it sprays way better than the other one, so I'll be able to put on thinner coats and build it up while still having it easy to remove, but goddamn. I think I'll only use enamels to panel line if at all from now on.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Gammatron 64 posted:

Can I only paint my models at very specific times of the year?

Welcome to the club, it's rained nonstop the last two days so I haven't been able to do any spraying with cans. I'm definitely going to set up a big rear end cardboard box paint zone and see how that goes. At least with an airbrush I'm not guaranteed to die if I use it anywhere other than outside.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Oblique Angle posted:

Well, if you have an airbrush, acrylics are basically fume-free and really easy to clean up, but the finish isn't all that durable, so you have to be extra wary of scratching the paint. That said, if you're patient and careful with them, they can still give great results. Although that's really just my opinion, considering I've only used acrylics thus far for mostly the same reasons. I have a couple jars of Testor's enamel that I use for detail painting so I can use fewer coats, and even those little jars make me light-headed inside unless I have the doors open and a fan running. My 'studio' is in the basement, so airbrushing enamels is kind of out of the question, sadly. I like acrylics though, they've never done me wrong. The Force Impulse I posted a couple pages back is all acrylic, as is the kit I just finished:

:v:

More here.

Lookin' good! Yeah, I would only be spraying acrylics and topcoating everything for durability. Not sure how I'll panel line without messing up the acrylics though unless I used canned lacquer from Tamiya because then I can use enamel and clean it up with lighter fluid.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Are there cool gloss coats for use with an airbrush? Other than the Pledge Future floor wax wonderstuff. Does that even hold up to lighter fluid?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think the only SRC I've been not totally happy with is Reideen and the Mazinger problem you mentioned. Mine is more if you pick him up his chest/torso joint does the extension thing and goes super floopy. Other than that my only complaint about SRC stuff is Gurren Lagann's balljoints in his wrist for swapping his hands are a nightmare for me because they're so small, but that's some pretty nitpicky stuff. Like they even give you alternate mane parts for GaoGaiGar's chest so he can put his arms together for the Hell and Heaven pose! Definitely agree on Shin Getter, he's fantastic.

For buying Soul of Chogokin stuff that's generally how it goes, you'll see something and go "that's cool" and then you'll search for prices, find one that you consider reasonable and then buy it ASAP before someone else grabs it. Welcome to Toy Collector Hell.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Build Fighters is incredible. Look at all those weapons! Gimme MG BF Red Frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I've built their SRWOG kits and can confirm Cybuster is real sharp. They're sort of big HG with better colour separation than MG. No stickers, everything is it's own little part. I can't think of any problems, the only thing I've ever had was a part broken in the box, but that was because it was shipped badly rather than anything specific to the kit. I remember someone building the WildWurger kit and hating it because it kept exploding all the time, but the Aussenseiter is one of the best kits I've ever built.

I really want to get a couple of the Frame Arms kits, because the gimmick of it being basically LEGO but mech parts is cool as hell to me.

• Locked thread