Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

BizarroAzrael posted:

That's a fine lookin' OP.

Can someone confirm for me that the small Revoltech joints, the ones used for wrists, are 6mm? Might be ordering some to replace the wrist on my Alucard. Only problem is they don't seem to sell packets of the white ones that I need for some reason. Alternatively I could get Ed Elrick and take the spare white wrist from him by using his Automail arm.

Are you still interested in trading me your spare revoltech alucard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Holy poo poo. Guess I know what I'm buying when my next paycheck comes in.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Ver. KA is the best looking although its posability leaves much to be desired.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Lol nice legs. that might as well be a katoki redesign

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

That's honestly my whole problem with the Katoki version of Wing and Wing Zero. It's like Katoki completely scrapped the tv designs for Wing and Wing Zero and did his own thing, whereas with the other four the redesigns still had a lot of characteristics of their tv look.

Which is good because the original wing zero is hideously poo poo

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I have the Kampfer and F91 and can confirm that they are fragile flimsy things, although F91 is still a great looking model IMO and maybe worth its very low price for the high quality of its accessories.

I'd add Zeta v2 to that list, the transformation is great but the model sacrifices so much for it. The arms are alright but the shoulders, torso and legs are super annoying to move around and pose. It would probably look alright on an action base but otherwise its only pose is "standing bolt upright". Also the MG God Gundam, which isn't necessarily bad as a model, but is horribly proportioned and looks kind of dwarfy and stumpy. Lastly, the MG 00 Quant is a fantastic model kit unless you want to actually remove the sword bits from the shield at which point the connectors will snap right off.

FWIW, of all my MGs my absolute favourite is the Infinite Justice. Just a fantastic little kit with IMO the best internal frame Bandai have ever put out in this line. Only downside is it's pink, and repainting it red is a total bitch. I half-ruined mine loving up the red paint and I'm hoping to get another and paint it an original colour scheme.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

The MG God is a great model, the side beam saber holders sometimes pry off if you get too adventurous with posing it, but that's par for the course. I just hate how chunky and...well, fat, it looks. I once saw a comparison of it side by side with a garage kit and the comparison was mindblowing.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Speaking of Seabrook Arno suits, is the Crossbone X1 known to have really loose joints? I can't put him in any sort of pose cause his knees can't support the weight of the kit when they are bent, not to mention that his elbows keep falling off at the rotation joint.

I believe it's built on the same frame as the F91, which definitely wasn't designed to support the weight of all the extra poo poo on the X1, and the elbow issue sounds identical to the F91.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Have you ever actually looked at Gunbuster's arms? Its iconic pose simply isn't possible. You would HAVE to compromise proportions somehow to make it work. I think there are at least a couple of fixed models that do the pose, but for action figures the accuracy to detail is considered more important.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

MG42 posted:

Looks like the SRC Gunbuster can do the folding arms.

No, it can't.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

gently caress off, bring me my MG Turn X.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

does anyone know where I can find a Titanium finish ver. ka unicorn? I just bought a Titanium ver.ka Banshee and the unicorn seems even harder to find

I own one. It's loving trash and you don't want it. They didn't alter the sprue design for the Titanium Finish version so the result is that it's covered in ugly black sprue marks on very noticable areas.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Try an MG as well. Ask before you buy with MGs though, because they WILDLY vary in quality.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

My personal favourite MG of all time is the Strike Noir. Comes with special hands for both swords, for holding guns, for shooting the grappling hooks, and just some standard movey fingers hands. Flexible wrists, and one of (IMO) the most agreeable backpacks in SEED. And of course it's built on the Strike E, which is based on the Strike, which is one of the nicest Gundam designs ever.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

You can also buy basecoat sprays instead of washing parts, which is what I usually do because I don't often have readily available warm water. Just cover the runners in that poo poo, but make sure to leave some of the sprue unsprayed so you don't embarassingly forget which parts are which colours and have to check dalong to figure out what is being painted what.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

A friend of mine bought me the Sinanju Stein. I seriously don't deserve friends this awesome.

I've always wanted a Sinanju but dreaded trying to paint that loving gold trim, so this is perfect for me.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Do you need to rinse the parts before basecoating them? I always thought base coat was an alternative to rinsing. Seems to work fine for me.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

MG ZZ's transformation

It is an incredibly, incredibly old kit though. Expect the unexpected.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Posing owns. I think all of my models have paid for themselves in the many autistic hours I've spent loving with them.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

That's Gerbil's V2, it's the 1/100 nograde and he did an absolutely incredible amount of work to get it looking like that. It has had a LOT of work.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

The only HG I own is the 00 [Q]ANT, which is of fantastic quality. I bought it as a set with the MG since I really loving love the qant, and the MG turned out to be quite disappointing!

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I don't really like the Zeta 2.0, the legs have fairly lovely posability, the beam rifle is a loving pile of poo poo and the wing connectors are prone to snapping. I occasionally transform mine when I'm bored but there's very little you can do with it in the way of interesting poses.

EDIT: also getting it to hold the HML takes about 5 hours

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I think what WickedIcon wants is a Robot Damashii to be honest.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

What a loving joke. We already have 8 master grade Gundams (original, G3, 1.5, casval, ver. ka, ver. OYW, 2.0, G3 2.0) and 2 more if you count minor part additions (perfect gundam and full armour gundam).

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I've yet to find another MG as flexible and posable as the Infinite Justice.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

My god, the technology. I'm hella enjoying this thing.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Finished it. I like this thing a lot. The beam rifle is kinda too heavy though, and the bazooka doesn't really sit in any kind of neat firing position at all. Great model, but the accessories suck cock.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 28, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

To be honest, I would have waited on the MG Jesta for a bit. I'd say the Jesta Cannon is a guarantee, and as it is the base Jesta kit is kind of lacking in terms of accessories.

Also: ahhhhh the MG Nu vKa's hands. I tried to be as careful as I could getting them off the runners, and I still ended up losing the right thumb. And I'm worried that every time I move the thing more stuff will pop up, what was wrong with the old MG hands Bandai :negative:

What the hell is wrong with you? I have those exact same hands on my Sinanju Stein, and while I agree that it's loving terrifying getting them off the runners, once they're off they're approximately a million billion times better than old MG hands in every way. It's just stressful moving every single joint to break them in but once you're done you realise they're far more solid than they seem.

Apart from the thumb, yeah. But I had thumbs pop off the old MG hands all the time as well.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Providence.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

muike posted:

Stick a MK II head on a Quel body!

Yeah, nah.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Thank god it's a Katoki redesign. The original W0 is one of the ugliest things in the universe.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I feel like the only one who hates the TV Wing Zero for what an ugly, bulky and angular design it is. Everything from the stupid beam sabers in the shoulders to the horrifically ugly boosters on its' back just makes it look awful, and all Katoki has done is give it his trademark stupid long legs and massive ankles.

The EW Wing Zero looks a million times better, and is also sufficiently silly enough that it fits in the Gundam Wing universe properly.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Bimmi posted:

Some of the 1/100 SEED kits are actually pretty decent.

They're VERY hit and miss. Check out the 1/100 IJ next to its MG equivalent.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

what kits is this made of?

This is the ZII (zeta 2). Are you sure it isn't just one of the action figures rather than a kit?

mr. stefan posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a gold plastic figure, toy, or kit that didnt look like complete rear end out of the box. Something about that color just does not work with injected plastic.

The 1/100 Akatsuki looks fantastic, and even has sunken nubs so you won't see any marks on it. It's very pricey for a 1/100 HG though but its on a level of quality close to some older MGs.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Son Ryo posted:

I've gotta have that Red Frame, especially since I can't stand the Red Frame Kai. What are my options for getting online exclusive in the US without the price getting too jacked up? I seem to remember being interested in one of the online exclusive RGs before (the Strike Gundam with the bazooka/knives and no Aile Pack, I think) but the only place I could find it jacked it up to like 50 bucks which is ridiculous for an RG. Hopefully if I look into it before it actually comes out I'll be able to get it for cheaper.

http://yokattaweb.jp/store/preorder.html

These guys have always been great for me.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I have the 1/100 Gundam X. It's not completely awful, but it did take a lot of work. I'm reasonably happy with the Satellite Cannon and the other chrome parts, and I think the GX fares better than most since it only has one accessory. All it REALLY needs are some custom hands, imo. Honestly I think it's worth the extremely low price you'd pay for it.

EDIT: dug out an old pic of it from just after I started working on it. All I'd done at this point is painted the blue+red (with a brush :hurr: ). But it's a fairly close representation of what it'd look like as a straight build:

Don't have this GX any more sadly, sold it to a friend who was desperate for a good model of it. It really doesn't look too bad, arm movement is good, leg movement is terrible and even worse than the MG Unicorn, but luckily I only ever wanted to put it in this pose so I wasn't bothered. Ankles have good movement range. By far the hardest part of this build was sealing the leg seams, you basically have to recreate the panel lines afterwards with a craft knife, and it will never look that good.

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 11, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They really were awesome :allears:. I think what made them so good was they actually tried to hammer out a basic set of physics for the GN Particles, rather than throw out bullshit as they went (like in Season 2). It made a lot of the Earth force's attacks a lot more clever when it's something like "we know GN particles jam radio transmissions, so we'll scatter a shitload of small transmitters over a wide area of space and see which stop transmitting" rather than just "get'cher guns boys, we're gonna go fly right at them Gundams and we'll win because Ace Officer No.31489 says we will by doing the same tactics as last time!"

Someone actually wrote a god drat essay on GN Physics

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

You'd be better off just buying some fabric and making it yourself if you want something to fit on a HG Crossbone.

The Full Cloth is solid, you're thinking of the ABC mantle.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

The Jesta is just so much cooler though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

TARDISman posted:

I really want an MG Sinanju but I really don't want to deal with the Sleeves filigree so I'm probably going for the Stein instead, does anyone have any horror stories involving it, or is it a pretty solid kit?

I have the Stein. It's a fantastic kit and I massively prefer it to the original due to it looking more practical in comparison to the sinanju looking a bit like a ceremonial mobile suit.

If you DO go for the original, make sure you get the 2nd printing of it, which inherits some of the cool stuff from the Stein (new hands, bazooka, some frame improvements iirc?)

• Locked thread