Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I just finished my first model in years (and my first ever Gunpla) a few days ago.

I was really impressed with the Kampfer's pose-ability. I contemplated shortening the shotguns to a manageable pistol-length, but decided to keep my first kit simple.

I suppose I'm just not used to models that can actually move, but it impressed me enough that I'm thinking about picking up a GM Sniper II to lock it in eternal battle with. Is the GM Sniper II any good, or should I consider something slightly more insane?

The words "Turn Exia" keep rolling around in my skull. :tinfoil:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat, that Kampfer is gorgeous :swoon:. The mix of red and black on the body looks great, especially with the matching shotguns. Is that the HG or MG kit, out of curiosity?

Someone beat me to the answer, but it's the HG kit. The beam sabers also match, and the Bazookas will too once I finish those. I'm still not sure how I'll paint the Demolition Chain.

BlitzBlast posted:

The safety nub on the horn kind of gives it away.

Is that what that is? :blush:

It's flush with the rest of the horn, so it just looked like the top of the horn was swept back. I kinda liked the look of it and I don't remember that part of the Kampfer very well, so I thought it must've been part of the design.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 6, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My new GM Sniper 2 is grape-flavored, rather than blueberry! I finished this about a week ago, and I think it came out well.

I really like the way the light-piping in the visor works. It's hard to see in camera, but with a reasonable overhead light source the central camera glows when the visor's down.

The legs have a decent range of motion to the back, but forward motion seems a bit more limited.

The ankles and wrists seem a little weak. I'll have to put a layer or two of varnish on them to see if I can stiffen them up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a shame nobody used the Einerad in the Gundam Build Fighters race episode. A model of one of those big enough to fit most 1/100 mobile suits would've been great.

VVV I'm blind (or maybe my subconscious just wishes it'd done better)! All I remembered was the tank and the squid.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 7, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I made something during the Forums Cataclysm:

This hand of mine is burning red!

It cries out for the forums! Exia Cataclysm!

Welcome back, Gunpla thread!

Also, I never realized quite how tiny the Exia was before

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Gunpla thread, I need a little advice.

I just picked up a Crossbone Maoh, and while I really like the way the light gray and the dark blue play off each other, I really don't like the red on the feet or how indistinct the Satellite Collectors are. In other words, I'm going to be recoloring the whole thing.

My grasp of color theory isn't the best, but I'm pretty much settled on black body with gold arms and legs and silver satellite collectors (I haven't painted metallic gold or silver before, so that should be fun). However, my worry is the skull, which I want to do up in a bone white sort of color. It should look something like this:

So, my question is: does bone even work with gold and black? Would it be an ugly combination that'd ruin the "pirate bling" look I'm going for?

Would bone and gold work better with a dark red body instead?

Should I also do the leg/chest vents in bone, or should I stick with gold?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

unless you want it to be super-shiny at all times.

That's the idea, yeah. I was thinking about doing the backpack thrusters satellite collectors in bone, too but I'm not sold on that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also you painted a silver stripe around the feet gold.

I threw that recolor together in about 3 minutes. It was just a quick and dirty way to show you what I'm thinking of. :shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finished my Crossbone Maoh.

I'm not sure how long the inner satellite-collector cape will last, but the outer black capes should do fine.

I couldn't resist modifying one of the hands though.

I'm really bad at getting all the beam sabers in one shot.

I made a cigar for it out of a piece of sprue, but I lost it part-way through painting. If I find it again (or make another) I'll take another shot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Poison Mushroom posted:

That looks drat cool, but the paint seems to have been laid on pretty thick. Is that just because metallic paints are a bitch to work with and thin properly?

Yeah, they had a bad tendency to thicken around the edges of armor plates. It was my first time with metallics so I wasn't sure what to expect. Next time I'll spring for Vallejo Liquid Gold, I think.

Edit: I think the batch of paint I bought was no good, the white had congealed almost completely and I had to return it; and I had to do some real stirring to get the gold off the bottom. I probably should've returned it too but it looked like it smoothed out pretty well. Turns out: nope!

Bloody Pom posted:

:syoon:

Was the cigar for the chest skull? Please tell me it was.

It was indeed. I'm upset that I lost it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 21, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Found it!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

And while not as huge a deal, Amazon has a sale going for all RGs. Discounts range from $2 to $15 off.

That's amazing, it's just a shame it's not the HGs. I kinda want a Danazine but I really don't want to spend more than $20 for anything from Gundam AGE.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

The general opinion is that the Vegan HGs kind of sucked compared to the Federation stuff and the Gundams. It doesn't help that by design, most of their weaponry is internal; you're not getting many effect parts or accessories.

The Danazine is still a robot dragon. :shrug:

Fake Edit: With a dong laser.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think there's something wrong with me, guys.

My Local Hobby Shop had a Gundam AGE-1 Spallow. I bought it. I just have to see how deep the rabbit hole goes--ahaha the candy dagger is a sticker!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a quick-and-dirty WIP picture of the AGE-1 Sparrow. I think my decision to repaint it in Ninja colors (black, dark purple, light purple, possibly a little gold to draw attention to the hands/feet? ) was the right one.

Seriously, why would you make your Robot Ninja Costume bright blue? :sigh:

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the hideous spoiler, though. It's such a pointless detail that I'm tempted to clip the whole thing off and sand down the attachment points. Since I'm painting anyway, that shouldn't be too noticeable. Maybe I should replace it with a cape?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I seriously considered bright orange and white just for that reason (and I'll probably be trying to find a way to give the thing an Idiot Headband) but the orange I own is crap. It's decent enough over a red backing in a tiny area, but it doesn't apply smoothly at all. The thought of trying to apply it to an entire Gundam--no. I'll stick with the paint that works.

Midjack posted:

That or get a whole bunch of street racer stickers and :rice:

Gundam AGE Formula-1? :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finished my attempt to rehabilitate the AGE-1 Spallow

It's quite the classy ninja!

The articulation is surprisingly good (it's amazing how much better it looks without that awful spoiler)

So you can get it into all sorts of fun poses

I'm really impressed by the flexibility, it's really stable even in spite of the really narrow feet (this is all supported by the legs)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm hoping PG Unicorn's "third mode" isn't just a polite euphemism for what happens when it collapses under its own weight and falls off the display shelf.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

You guys forgot "Build".

Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM!

Full Burnererern!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

Titus can't really pose all that well thanks to weight issues, I'd go with HGFC Shining.

Spallow's really flexible, and a ninja! It just needs to not be white and blue.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyone know what the quality of the old Abigor model is like? I noticed it was pretty cheap now, and I have a terrible kitbash idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I paint anyway so that's not really a deterrent.

Edit: The arms look kinda lame, but I wouldn't be keeping them anyway.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 17, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bimmi posted:

For what it's worth, the Abigor is easily the least-bad kit in the 1/144 V line, mainly because it's quite a bit larger than the others. Definitely needs some help but I wouldn't call it a total writeoff.

How much bigger? Enough to stop me from making the BadIdeagor?

Rough Mockup:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My action bases came in (alongside 2/3rds of my impending Kitbash). So I took a group shot!

The Kampfer's not keeping that base, the Abigor just hasn't arrived yet. It's going to be hard not working on these mobile suits while I wait for it to show up.

I really need to go over the Grape-Flavored GM Sniper and Ninja Spallow with another spray of matte varnish topcoat. The first one seems like it didn't take and they're both still way too glossy (and since my gloss varnish is brush-on, it shows every brushstroke).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bimmi posted:

$$$, of course.

You mean using rolled up hundred dollar bills to provide a cushion for when it inevitably falls off the shelf after collapsing under its own weight? That's genius!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wonder if the Mock, Grimoire, and Gundam Titus are all physically compatible with the Ball...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I hear you, indecision buddy. I'm in the same boat!

My Abigor hasn't arrived yet (it's on a boat!), but since it looks like the it's got the same general issues as the Wing MGs. I'm not anticipating any problems with the kitbash. It's just absolutely going to require paint since the parts are all going to be completely different colors and I want to avoid using black since it's a dominant color on my other models.

I find it helps to decide what type of painting you're doing: are you just looking to touch up the colors to make sure everything's correct? Are you looking to try a complete custom repaint?

If you're doing the second, I find starting with your favorite color (or picking a primary) and then seeking out another color that looks good with it works well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My Abigor just showed up a good two weeks early.

It's a good thing I worked today, or I wouldn't have even realized it'd come in. It looks like it'll be a pretty simple build, but it should be perfect for what I'm wanting and it doesn't look like it's going to be significantly worse than the HG Endless Waltz kits.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 28, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyone have an example of the effect you get from mixing Future with paint? I keep hearing about it but I can't find any specific examples.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Man, when I asked about the Abigor I gotta say that you made me really nervous when you replied with this. Just comparing the runners the Abigor seems leagues better. It's got the same flaw as the Endless Waltz HGs (the leg seams are obvious and straight down the front and back), and the knees are a single joint so they won't have great mobility, but just the runners alone look worlds better than the monstrosity you posted.

It probably helps that it came in a normal-sized box, and that the design is simple enough that they didn't feel compelled to try anything crazy with it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If the Mock is cheap enough, we should have a Mock Battle. Who can build the coolest Mock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not as fancy as the billion-piece Rex, but my Abigor's coming along nicely. It's still a WIP, and I've put no finish on any of the paint yet, but I've done enough of the color that you'll get the general idea. I wasn't sure which colors to go with originally but I settled on Tyrian Purple with bone and gold accents and I think it came out quite well. I haven't done any of the gold trim yet but I think the bone white works well with this base.

The thing's huge, by the way. Standing straight, the top of its head is shoulder-height on the Crossbone Maoh. The arms are in three joints and the dragon fangs are unassembled. I haven't started painting them yet because I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep the fins or try to fill the holes. My attempts to fill the seams on the lower legs... kinda failed miserably. I'm going to give it another try.

I'm also probably going to turn that Shenlong Nataku into a grunt. I like the way it looks with that beam rifle, and it shouldn't take much to turn the old featureless Endless Waltz heads into something.

Also, if you notice a little weirdness with the central eye, it's because I (very carefully) drilled into it from the back before putting the head together.

And then lightboxed it with a piece of flexible sprue from a Beam Saber. :awesomelon:

In case you're curious, here's the "before" picture when I was just piecing the thing together. The Deathscythe Hell Custom's got wonky proportions. Those hips, man!

• Locked thread