Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Building HG Gogg as my first Gunpla, going fine until I started doing the claws.

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h08/h08_i.htm

Trying to hold the nails in place and close the outer shell pieces at the same time wasn't happening. I can fit them in afterwards but now the nails just move about willy nilly. Are those supposed to be glued?

also how spoilery is the gundam irc?

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

2nd model built - Gundam virtue

Having problems getting the hand to stay together if I try to hold the rifle 1 handed it doesn't seem to snap in very well and just pops off at random, is that kind of normal for large weapons?

http://www.dalong.net/review/00/0h06/0h06_i.htm

http://www.dalong.net/review/00/0h06/p/0h06_mb0007.JPG steps 7/8 you can see the hand creation steps

http://www.dalong.net/review/00/0h06/p/0h06_mb0003.JPG is how I want the model to hold it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Cut a piece I thought was a sprue, it wasn't. Cut a piece off of the runner of about the same size and shape and used this to glue it back into place.

http://smile.amazon.com/Liquid-Cement-For-Plastics-1-15oz/dp/B0006N6ODS

Let it sit for 24 hours and it just easily came away. Is this the right adhesive for the job?

edit: this wasn't a matter of not noticing the warning in the manual, it was 2 shoulder pieces and one had a very obvious protrusion which didn't match the other.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The piece in question was a shoulder with connecting nub. It was the material which the majority of runner parts are made out of which feels like ABS. It's the harder plastic that body parts usually are made out of.

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h137/p/h137_r01.jpg

B18 ? in this pic next to B16 at the top.

I got the kit looking right by putting some cement further in where the shoulder pad connects and it looks fine, but I'm having the same issue with my Goog now, one of the leg connectors snapped as I was reconnecting the polycap.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 16, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Don't have the runners anymore but according to the manual its PS for Yonem Kirks, Gogg's manual doesn't say.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 16, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I tried to pay attention on Gogg, on Yonem kirks I was making a new connection from scratch since I mistakenly cut the old one. I didn't realize I bought that type of adhesive.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I've got that kit in my to do pile as well, looking forward to it, not seeing the picture either.

Just finished Gundam Exia Repair II (whats with the repair tag, i was expecting some battle damage decals)

The limbs are really nice on this model, love the sword as well, only thing im not 100% on is way the sword connects to the hand, it looks like it would be pretty solid but it falls out a lot.

Think i'm going to start clear coating and taking pictures soon, picking up a new camera first though as mine is a 2 megapixel from ages back.

Is there some sort of midground between an action base and none? I've noticed some of the models have a harder time standing up just something that would give a small amount of support but doesn't take up that much horizontal room.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 18, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-detail-line-tutorial

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-line-detailing-equipment

Since there are a few other new people talking now, I found these guides helpful when I started (2 weeks ago), also it shows the pigma micron pens which can be picked up at michaels or most other craft stores in the US. I really wish they came in grey though.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Before I do it, how much of a horrible mess am I going to make top/clear coating (is this the same thing) a completed model? The few tutorials i've found seem to recommend doing it to individual pieces.

I ask if they are the same thing because I asked for top coat at the store and they said oh you mean clear coat, and handed me a can of testors spray lacquer matte which seemed to match up with the tutorials. But they refer to it as top coat.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I was going by http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-top-coat-guide

It seemed like the easiest Matte coat to get in the US. What's a better option?

I'm not anywhere near the point of wanting to drop money on an airbrush.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Think i've got my first mg narrowed down, which I will only buy when I finish the backlog of HG's I have.

Char's Zaku II ver 2.0
http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/mg98/mg98_p.htm

The dalong review seems pretty favorable, anyone build this that can chime in?

Building this badass motherfucker right now http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h122/h122_i.htm Geara Zulu [Guards Type]
Which I got from Faltion

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 20, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hobby City Usa in Schaumburg is the only place i've found so far that has more than a few kits. I haven't looked anywhere in the city proper though. The one in Orland Park has a few but no weapon bags or markers, much less model stuff as a whole.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Geara Zulu Guards Type has some nice little upgrades in construction over older gunpla. Really liked the way Feet/Legs are less of a crapshoot in the dark. The shield to arm attachment I couldn't get to stick on so i think some double sided tape is in order or putty.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Bimmi posted:

They generally require some spot painting. They'll include stickers that cover most if not all of the spot colors but those can look pretty bad sometimes.

Master Grade is the go-to for fully-colored no-paint figures, but they's partsy and building one can take several days easily. Will never have as much variety in the line as HG either, which is sad but that's just how it is.

"Require" is not the right word for this reply.

They are colored out of the box. If you want to make them look better its all a matter of how much effort you want to put into them.

It sounds intimidating but its seriously as simple as buy kit, cut the pieces out and snap them together as per the instructions. They are in japanese but are well done and whatever is not clear you can check the OP for.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Bimmi posted:

Depends on your tolerance for slapping thick, ill-fitting paper stickers on your model, really. Mine is pretty low.

For a brand new person though trying to get into the hobby that might be fine and required painting adds another barrier to entry. I just got into it and already decals are pissing me off, but just starting out the no paint thing really was a selling point.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What are recommended panel lining colors when doing lighter brown kits like Domtroopen or Gogg

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm going out today i think to buy an ikea shelf just for gunpla because i'm running out of room on my current display one. Sensing a parallel to retro game collecting here. Current display only really holds 10 and im about to start #8 (kampfer amazing) but it doesn't leave much room for setting up any kind of scenes.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Didn't realize the Detolf was Ikea. Wouldn't want to move those so i'll just go with Kallax which I use for storing records or consoles. Should be easier to setup battle scenes as well.

Finished building Kampfer Amazing HG, really enjoyable build considering i've been mostly doing old hg's so far. Not digging the lack of leg/arm articulation though. I'll look at the usual site but is this common for build fighters or just some of them? Also it seemed to use a lot of decals where hard plastic yellow pieces could have gone.

Hoping the Char's Zaku 2.0 MG is still at the hobby shop when I go tommorow. That should be a nice first MG.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I completely forgot that I matte coated a gogg backpack just to try it out with testors and left it in the basement, found it today and wow that looks good. So i've got some stick/alligator clips coming, looks like styrofoam or something else is in order for holding them, anything else recommended for clear coating?

Also on the subject of matte coats while I think it was agreed that there are better matte coats that testors, I don't remember if anyone recommended one that is easy to get in the US. Or barring that recommended one to order.

Don't have an airbrush yet and I'm just now starting to mess with painting.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

My current backlog is
Gouf Custom
Zaku Amazing
Zugok (Unicorn Version)
Build Fighters Strike Gundam Full Package
SD Sazabi (the samurai one)
SD Sazabi (the regular red one)
SD zaku blaze wizard
SD Zaku ii
SD Zaku II Char's Custom
SD Build Fighters Strike Gundam Full Package

I think Gouf Custom is next. That's one of my oldest purchases.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I've started using gundam markers in lieu of fighting with tiny mono color stickers, sometimes not so tiny when I can tell that they are just going to come off, fist wrappers etc. I notice, and this is probably due to my technique, that there is a decent amount of pooling on bigger pieces. How can I avoid that ? They come out decent enough if uneven.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Popehoist posted:

Gundam Markers are just terrible dogshit. Use a small brush + paint for the tiny parts.

Pretty much what I figured, i guess I can use the markers as extra paint at least. They do fine for coloring in sights/very small areas, once you get to anything bigger though...

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

ahaha this fuckin person.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Few bucks off gundam x MG, im sticking to my rule of not buying any more until my backlog is down to 3 though, which isn't that far off. I got through 20 steps on Zaku Amazing HG last night without noticing, got a gp base all ready.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

so your going to take a picture of the neo zeong reciept?

also please tell me thats the hg non unicorn z'gok you are going to build. The difference between that's complexity and the neo zeong should be funny.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

Most of what I've done is HGUC stuff including the Z'gok. I really just love that design and wanted it on my shelf next to my karate bugmen and my lumberjack robot fighter. My first kit was the RG RX-78-2 though and I did that in a day.

I plan on documenting the Neo Zeong from start to finish, starting with the receipt and ending with my ritualized suicide.

Oh I wasn't making GBS threads on it, I actually gave an extra to my friend as a shallow attempt to get him hooked on gunpla since the Z'gok is such an easy build and moves really well.

Just the jump from Z'gok to Neo Zeong is pretty staggering.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I build about 1-2 hg's a week or a few sd's. My backlog buying has outstripped building though but I did just start pretty recently. Have 9 HG's built, 3 sd's and 4/4 of each in backlog, been at this for maybe 6 weeks.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Just finished Zaku Amazing HG, nice looking, but like Kampfer not that posable and build quality doesn't feel that great. I have Build Strike gundam full package in the backlog, hoping that is a bit better.

Looks nice next to my Char's Z'Gok though.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

good thing i just bought 3 gp bases!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

SD's are so nice, finished this before the halfway point in good morning vietnam. Char's Z'gok looks wierd because I had Zaku Amazing next to it before I put him on an action base.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I was kinda feeling the burnout when I had a backlog of 10ish but I just buckled down and now im down to 4, 2 of which are sd. Opening some of the kits and finding out that some of them weren't so complicated (hello zogok unicorn and the build fighters gundam full package) helped to prioritize, sense of accomplishment for finishing one etc.

Not going to let the backlog get that high again unless its a big sale or i hit a con.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What model is that?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I got faster at HG's after building a few SD's for some reason, could just be the practice. Also finding out that most kits are built so you can just snip 1 or 2 sprues and then the piece will snap out saves some time. Think I saw that in the gundam catalog I got from ebay.

I dont do much more than build+ panel line though. So "finishing" a HG is 1 night while watching a few tv shows isn't that far out of line for me. I usually take a break and panel line the next day while on lunch break (working from home).

edit: oh right, is there a reason runners seem to always come 50% in easy open bags and 50% in not so easy to open?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Is there a place to buy assorted polycap sheets or even replacements for kits?

Also I realize this is a longshot but has anyone put together HG Gouf Custom and remembers having problems with the feet, i swear the caps they call for to hook the ankle to feet will never fit so I just took them out and cemented the pieces.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

And now for some horrible panel lining by yours truly.

I don't have steady enough hands to do the power cables (I just found out those are power cables!) on gouf custom well enough, or maybe just that material doesn't take pen well not sure.

The face on build strike gundam came out pretty decent for the first time doing a gundam face. The gundam pen came out ok on the knee pad and the other places, wish I had a white one for the wings cause those decals were a pain to deal with.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Just post a video of you burning money while shining finger blares in the background.

I'm assuming you are joking about not being able to afford this, in the retro games thread newer people would go hog wild then end up with a for sale thread 4 months later cause they can't afford rent. At least in the retro thread you could resell it, but if this is at all straining your finances stop now.

Space is def another concern, weren't you trying to find space for a neo zeong?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I like the Dom Troopen i've got, have a Rick Dias on the way. The main thing i don't care for on the Troopen is the little feet boosters? come off if you look at them wrong, think I actually cemented them.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

So I made a mess trying to redo some decals with a white gundam marker, can I just remove this with alcohol or something?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Wait, i'm confused. Were you using the Gundam marker to try and paint over decals? I need some visual aid to understand what exactly you were trying to do.

Sorry,

The lovely decals fell off so I was trying to use gundam markers to just paint an approximation of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

http://smile.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutter/dp/B001TMZ7QA/

These are good cutters, I use them sans knife but really don't clean sprue cuts up much.

• Locked thread