Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I ordered the Build Strike Full Package as my first Gunpla, is this the colour guide for the markers needed?

If so could someone translate them for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

TaurusOxford posted:

That's the color guide for the paints needed. Don't even try to use Gundam markers - it'll end in tears and possibly a garbage can.

Oh, that's easier for me then since I already have a bunch of modeling paints. What markers would be recommended for the panel lines?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Thanks for all the info guys. One last question for now, where can I get some scrap parts or whatever to practice with?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Yeah, I actually had some Wing kits about 10 years ago but that was more a twelve year old being "COOL ROBOTS" than any attempt at making them look good.

Edit: I should have been more clear in my first post, it's the panel lines I'm not sure about.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Awesome, I'm guessing a grey and a black panel marker will be fine?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Seriously dude, just grab a kit and have a go. Worst case scenario you ruin one kit and have to buy some robotic actuators arms for precision assembly.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Does the 1/144 Universe Booster also include all the extra parts for the Star Build Strike?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

muike posted:

You mean the weapons? I think so.

Awesome, if not oh well, I like the Universe Booster anyways so if I have to get the Star Build Strike separately it doesn't matter too much.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Captain Invictus posted:

I forget the exact method, but I believe Transformers fans will take a loose joint off, put some superglue on it but not put it back, let it dry, then put it back. The thin layer of dried superglue I believe causes enough friction. Or it might've been a different substance.

Yep, superglue (NOT polycement) on the joint and let it dry before re-attaching it. That's fixed many a flop-former for me.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So, I dropped my Zaku Amazing when getting it out of the box to continue work on it and one of the clips on the missile pods broke. Is there a fix for it without glue? If not where can I get a replacement piece?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I've finished my first Gunpla build, the Zaku Amazing, unfortunately they were a few breakages during construction, I don't have any sandpaper to polish up the filing with and I don't have my Gundam Markers yet so I used a Sakura Micron fine liner but overall I think it came out quite well for my first build.

Album full of progress shots.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The Zaku Amazing is not so amazing at baseball poses.

And that's my entire collection for the moment, I have an Exia in the mail and I'm waiting for the Build Strike Full Package to actually go through on HLJ.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'd like to see more information on places to get kits in the UK, Europe etc. That and a bit more info on alternatives to Gundam Markers.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So the HG Universe booster doesn't come with the wing effect parts of the gun from what I can tell from the scans on hobby search, is there some way to get them without ordering the entire star build strike?

edit: On second look it does come with the gun, just not the giant wings.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

You can parts order the effect part runner, but it'd probably be cheaper just to get the Star Build Strike.

Hm, well I'll just have to see how it prices out. Any good places for parts ordering in the UK?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What floor polish do I want to look for in the UK? As far as I can tell Pledge with future shine isn't sold here any more.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So my Sazabi ver Ka finally arrives tomorrow after being stuck in customs hell for about a week, having to pay 20% tax on it and the shipping cost + a handling fee which cost even more than that.

Is there a better way to get more expensive kits in the UK? Customs charges here are worked out in the most ridiculous fashion.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Zedd posted:

Speaking from experience with Dutch customs, I use the slowest shipping (mostly SAL) and that gets me around 25% catchrate on the random inspections they do on those.
Customs on stuff like gunpla is just stupid to me, there is no market to protect since that stuff isn't even made anywhere but Asia.

I've used SAL for all my purchases til now (Although none of those have arrived yet :v:) but it wasn't available as a shipping option on the MG Sazabi vKa.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So almost everything arrived at once.

Yaaaayyyyy.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What's the square yellow sticker(?) that comes with the action bases?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

muike posted:

It's a label for the optional piece that can fit into one of the unused plug holes as a sign.

Ah, good to know.

Any ways I finished the build strike... build. No panel lining yet since I'm waiting for my gundam markers to arrive and I accidentally destroyed my micron pen. I did paint the yellow bits on the shoulder instead of using stickers but I'm not really happy with the result.

Imgur Album with bonus Zaku Amazing

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

On the note of finished gunpla I just finished my Jesta Cannon

Imgur Album

The Gatling Gun came as part of the HG customize campaign, it's actually pegged in to the waist slot where one of the grenade holders normally attaches.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That looks pretty drat nice. How did you get the gatling gun exactly? Was it a bonus pack-in thing or what?

I must have one. If not several.

It's part of some campaign where if you buy a HG kit you get a bonus weapon and a bunch of connectors.

This is the leaflet/instructions it came with.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

On the note of ridiculous pricing my sazabi ver ka cost about £100 (about $160) after shipping and customs charges.

Edit: sazabi not saxabi.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Any tips on getting a nice even coat using gundam markers?

This is my second attempt at painting a piece using them, this time using a brush to apply the paint rather than the marker itself. My first attempt was more uneven than this.

Also ignore the lack of masking, none of the type I have with me is very good so I was just practicing for the most part.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Before I make an order with them, what's the average shipping time and cost like from HobbySearch?

One kit I ordered took about a month to arrive, another took about a week. That was through SAL, my only order through EMS took about two weeks because UK customs is stupid. Usually the orders are shipped within a few days at most.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd also like to note that getting that teensy little shiny laser sight sticker on the big rifle was a challenge. That fucker requires black rituals and the damning of innocent souls to get into place.

I can confirm this, hell it's why I haven't assembled the other gun yet.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

"Something something spacenoids."

Unfortunately I hosed up with the eye's waterslide.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

You're in luck, I just finished editing that part of the guide.

Also any kit benefits from panel lining.

Actually it's known as Pledge Multi Surface Wax now.

http://www.scjohnson.co.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=7864

On a different note does anyone know how the hands are made on the master grade kits?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

the new Emotion Manipulators are actually fully articulated.

These are the ones I was wondering about, like how the injection mould it and have all this articulation.

At least they sound like the hands in the Sazabi Ka kit anyways.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Anonymous Robot posted:

Would anyone like to recommend a master grade kit to me? I don't really follow Gunpla, I just build a kit every couple of years when the stars align. I prefer simpler MS designs- I'm a big fan of the Guncannon, GM79, and Zaku II- the Guncannon is the only one of those I don't have already. However, I'd really prefer to get something I can have shipped on Amazon prime, if possible. I don't really like kits with wings or a bunch of fiddly poo poo on the backpack, a lot of the more modern suits look really overdesigned to me for this reason, but I do like suits with shoulder cannons, because that just rules.

I really like the look of the Full Armor Gundam, but the fact that the armor pieces apparently stick on with little gummy bits that don't keep their hold is a huge mark against it. I was thinking of maybe the MG Jesta, it looks almost like an Armored Core suit but still has the realistic, workman-like quality I like in MS design. I was also thinking about the 1/20 Scopedog, because VOTOMS owns, but I couldn't find that for a reasonable price without huge shipping fees and a 6-week wait time from Japan attached. And I'd heard it's an older design with limited articulation.

The Jesta Cannon has two shoulder guns. Also like a billion grenades.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Not really. The main point of washing your kits is to get skin oil off (mold release is pretty much a myth, Bandai gets most of that off), and for that all you need is some regular dish soap or some other degreaser. And that's far more important when you're painting. For decals the big thing is to gloss coat under it.

Seriously if you don't have a bottle of Future, go get it.

On the note of future what's the best way to apply it?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

With a paint brush, for decals or just small areas. If you want a full on gloss coat, an air brush is better.

How toxic is it when sprayed? I just got an airbrush, a dust mask and I made a simple spray booth out of cardboard for using acrylics but it doesn't have any venting like a proper booth.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a floor polish, it would be kind of bad if it had toxic fumes. Just don't drink it.

Fair point. I hadn't seen any mention of it being toxic but I was mostly double checking so I don't accidentally poison myself.

BlitzBlast posted:

Get some enamels. Get some enamel thinner. Thin the enamels until they're watery, then drop a bead of paint into the panel line. The paint will flow down the line and give you a perfect panel line. Give it like a minute or two to dry then gently wipe away any excess with some rubbing alcohol.

This is also quite magical to watch, if it wasn't for the pain in the rear end which is enamel paints I'd do it for every kit. As it stands I'm probably just going to stick with using it for MG kits and stick with the Gundam Markers for my HG kits.

Edit:

Blackchamber posted:

I'm moving into an apartment that has no patio or anything and I was thinking of getting one or making one.

Can anyone explain to me though why there is a filter on this thing, much less an odor eliminating one? It isn't filtering the air of dust or particulate before it gets to my model, its drawing air/paint vapors/etc from behind it before blowing it out the window... at which point I don't care how dusty or smelly it is.

I don't know about odor eliminating but it stops the fans getting gunked up with paint.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

slightpirate posted:

I had a dream about gunpla last night..

Deathscythe - Hell's Angel.

basically its Deathy, but with Zero's Angel wings, and its shield/beam claw thing was more like a round shield like the talgeese, but it still had the beam claw bit on it. and the whole thing was in the english crusader red/white combo.

pardon my text formatting. its early.

You could probably scratch build a chopper from the meteor hopper as well.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Midjack posted:

Put a flashlight on the floor, pointing the beam parallel to the carpet. This makes the shadows of things on the floor much larger than they are with overhead lighting. You may have to change position and direction of the light a few times before you find it.

This doesn't work too well for small clear pieces unfortunately. I managed to find one of the side panels for the HG 00 Gundam's head by putting a sock on a hoover/vacuum cleaner pipe.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It really does seem that Gunpla and other similar plamo is a lot more gently caress YEAH (tiny) GIANT ROBOTS than Tabletop figures/Vehicles are all about building and painting it just right or you suck.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

hallo spacedog posted:

When (if) they actually start selling plamo at Barnes & Nobel, I feel this overwhelming desire to buy an HG and build it in the cafe while drinking coffee. They won't get mad because it's good advertisement for the products, right? :dance:

They'd probably get mad about the variety of sharp objects involved.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What are the 00 season HG main suits like apart from the exia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Yeah, I meant the season 1 suits, I just missed the number when posting somehow.

Either way Dynames and Virtue were the ones I was considering. I like the Kyrios but I just don't see such a spindly suit pulling off a transformation at HG quality and previous posts kind of confirmed my suspicions about that.

• Locked thread