Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a real shame about the X-2. If I could grab it at 50 or 60 flat at some point down the road I will, but I'll just have to live without it. I just wish the RD Crossbones were better looking, and that the RD X-2 wasn't the X-2 Kai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're both "ver Ka." in that they're designed by Katoki and they're functionally the same kit. The OVA version has the bazooka and different Sleeves markings. I think it might've altered the posability in the backpack boosters akin to the OVA Unicorn. Other than that, nothing, as far as I know.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it might have different hands too? Maybe the sonic welded ones like on the MG Nu Ka but I dunno about that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sounds to me like grabbing the old version is the way to go unless you really need the different Sleeves markings or bazooka. It'd save you some money at least.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I dunno, maybe you just have to like Gundam or be familiar with it. It's pretty easy for me to pick different designs out from each other and such, but I've been following Gundam for a pretty long time at this point. The main character Gundams do tend to be pretty similar, yeah, but maybe you should try looking at some of the grunts and bad guy kits. It's hard to say a Rick Dias looks like a Gelgoog.

Be like me, buy VOTOMS Scopedogs and Fatties.

muike fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 25, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Has anyone here put together any of the Bandai 1/20th VOTOMS kits? I was wondering if there were any tips for this silly bolt business before I start on it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Zeta 2.0 is alright but you really need to be precise and patient with it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do the bolts go in? Just with friction? I'm just worried that they're not going to stay in.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks for the tips. :)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Doesn't that come with the OVA version Unicorn? I don't know if you can buy that specific one separately, but Bandai and Kotobukiya have made 1/100 and non-scale hangar kits.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was interested in the metal spec version a few years ago but it was before I had seen VOTOMS, so I wasn't too driven to get it. I almost got the Red Shoulder Custom instead of the normal Scopedog, but I figured I'd try out the cheaper kit to see how I liked it first. I'll probably get it and the Fatty at some point. If only they'd release a Turbo Custom :(

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Mecha Gojira posted:

Man, I hate to hear that. While they weren't perfect, Yamato still put out some incredibly well-engineered toys over the years. Personally, I'm kicking myself over never getting a 1/12 Scopedog or 1/24 Ingram which also now go for exorbitant eBay prices. Glad I managed to at least snag the VF-19S while I could.

I'd recommend snapping up a newer Perfect Trance VF-1 release before they become scarce. I love that mold so much.

AmiAmi still has some of the 1/12 VOTOMS units, I'd snag them up ASAP if you've got the cash.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm dyin. If you want something you can just pop out with your thumbs and is also not for babbies, try the 1/48 mega scale RX-78(it's expensive)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Any tips for drybrushing with acrylics? Washes with them aren't a problem, but they dry so fast that drybrushing might give me problems.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Faltion posted:

I've never had an issue with drybrushing Tamiya acrylics, but you could try a thinner with a retardant (the Tamiya acrylic and lacquer thinners have this) or just find an acrylic retardant on its own.

You need to remember that when drybrushing you want very little paint on your brush and you are pretty much just rubbing the nearly dry paint on the parts as is. Less is definitely more with drybrushing so you kind of want very little to transfer each pass of the brush.

Thanks, I've got Tamiya paint and I've never done drybrushing before so I figured I'd ask.

And it's good to hear the Turn A is good because I'm a huge fan of the series and design. Maybe I'll pick it up at some point. I've been thinking about grabbing that, the Stein, Revil Rezel, and Jesta. The Jesta having a really dumb looking gun is probably going to save me those 30 bucks though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My first tries were back when Gundam Wing was still airing and I still remember how much it hurt to pop parts off the runner. Then, like the primates in the beginning of 2001 thrust before the monolith, I grasped a tool, nail clippers. Now I'm really picky about my dumb plastic scissors.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Fairly light gray, I'd say. Brown is more for reds and oranges in my opinion.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My buddy has the Sentinel FAZZ, and yeah, it's a brick, and aside from that, it's probably aged pretty poorly.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can anyone recommend some good kits that use no or minimal polycaps? Doesn't have to be Bandai.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yet another reason to keep that at the top of my list.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've always held off on getting an RX-78 because there's never one that's quite right for me, but an Origin version would do it for me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Grey, I guess??? Or you could be like me and get a Terminus R606 kit and use it on the orange parts. Try using it for burn weathering too. No, it's not really necessary to wash the runners. If you're only panel lining, you'll notice paint not sticking and not have to undo an entire coat of paint to fix it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
When Neo Egypt joined the Gundam fight.

Also that owns, and it's holding the shield the right way!!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those of you who sand your nubs down, what grits do you use? I'm using various grits and finishing off with a 2000 grit and it's not working great. Could be the plastic on this kit, I guess, but I could also be doing this poorly.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Started work on the 1/20 Scopedog. There are certainly some...interesting choices and design implementations on it. I'd be lying if I said the little Gilgamesh pilot figure wasn't cute, even if some of the gate placements on its parts are irritating. It even has a little armor magnum on its hip. That's adorable.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Don't stick you arm inside a thing that has moving parts is generally good advice. Also I would imagine a mobile suit gettin' pretty hot.

Anyway has anyone here had to contact bandai for replacement parts or sprues before?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've heard about people having luck before, so I shot off an email anyway. If that that doesn't work, I really don't want to buy a whole other kit just because this one part of the construction is terrible and I'm a giant retard. Maybe I'll just figure some kind of fix out for myself.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not really worried about looks, at least. The problem is that the peg was very small, of a particular shape, and is now gone. I may be able to figure out some kind of fix for it if I can't get a replacement part, but in this case, I think I need a replacement.
http://www.dalong.net/review/etc/bt1/p/bt1_mb0011.JPG
It's piece I3 in step 2. I can give you a pic of mine, but all it is is the plate the peg was once mounted on.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'll probably just glue it in place if no other solution presents itself, but I think learning how to pin parts might be good here. Due to the way it's constructed, I'd be able to keep all the mobility if I do it right. Ultimately, I'm not that upset since I wanted to grab this and see what it was like before I went whole hog on Votoms kits.

edit: just read up more on Gentei's site and they only do Gundam kits. Understandable, but poo poo on my balls

muike fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 21, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So I sent out an email to Bandai like two weeks ago to try and get a replacement part for my Scopedog. They actually emailed me back. Holy gently caress. Let's see if it actually works out, because one of the things they requested was an image of the export sticker, but I don't have that on this kit...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The joints on the ver ka are also a little bit tighter, and in some cases, almost dangerously slow, like on the waist joint peg.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is the basic mobile suit part improved, or is it just all the poo poo tacked on to it that makes it better? The only real thing I'd want from the FA version is the katoki'd space launch you can make from the unicorn's fuel tanks

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm pretty sure it's the OVA version. I kinda want to grab the MS cage one. Was the Ver. Ka able to put the bazooka on its waist or just the backpack?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not a fan of destroy mode, so I generally just pick whatever ends up looking and working best in Unicorn mode. The MS cage version is probably good enough for me unless I absolutely gotta have that subflight boogie board for my dumb unicorn robot.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wouldn't be too worried about it, depending on what you want, it's either a good kit in its own right, or it has a 2.0 version.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The S Gundam kits and the Zeta Pluses are pretty solid, along with the Super Gundam being a really nicely designed kit too. The God Gundam was pretty impressive at the time it came out. The others aren't terrible kits, but they definitely show their age. I'm the guy that's not really picky about how posable my kits are, so my problems usually come down to proportions, details, and construction.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The 2.0 is definitely better and is compatible with the super armor.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's pretty cool, but it's got the worst case of Okawara feet I've ever seen, and I own a scopedog(still waiting on that replacement part to get here).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd go for the 2.0 if you want something that looks more like something out of the (better moments) of the anime's cels. The 3.0 is going to be a lot more Real Gradish. That being said, I imagine most people would prefer the 3.0 to the 2.0 based on looks. I probably will. I'll probably wait for the inevitable G-3 version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's like 700 yen more, and with the declining yen, that's like almost 7 dollars!

• Locked thread