Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Since my question didn't get answered in the previous thread: are there larger Gundam marker sizes for MG kits or bigger? I'd assume so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I decided to get the HG Shining Gundam. Not sure if I'm ready for MG yet. Gonna work on the Astraea this weekend.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Crappy cellphone pics of the finished Astraea:

Turned out pretty well. I like how I don't have to change the hands around to clip the guns in. Also there were a ton of extra parts, which are probably for some other variant of the MS or something?

Can't wait to get Shining Gundam. It's definitely going to be in Shining Finger mode on display.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lumi posted:

I have the same one, it's supposedly some prototype to the Exia so it'd likely share a lot of parts with that and any of its variants.
Yeah, the instructions show the Exia so it looks like that's the case. There was one part that could be changed for another early on but none of the other ones got any use.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I finished the HG Shining Gundam kit. Only issues with it are the leg flaps are hard to put in their open position for super mode, and the giant Shining Finger hand doesn't seem to fit on the smaller hand (I must be doing something wrong). Good kit, but I may end up splurging on the MG version just so I can transform it to super mode without resorting to taking it apart.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Eh, that's fine with me. The main reason I'd want it is minimal "parts leprosy" for the super mode and having the leg flaps fold out instead of taking them off and trying to get them into a better position is good enough. Also, I'm probably going to have to look into getting some gold Gundam Markers so I can paint the "shining" parts.

It doesn't have the Shining Finger Sword, though :(

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 20, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Can you confirm that what you got was the HGFC Shining? Because I was thinking of getting one myself, and the link here http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Shining-Gundam-Future-Century/dp/B0052PEUFE/ref=pd_sim_t_1 specifically mentions the Shining Finger Sword and has it in the pictures too.
Yup, that's the HGFC version I have. The MG version does not have the Shining Finger Sword from what I saw on dalong.net.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you meant the one you have didn't have the SFS-- I'm dumb.
There's another 1/144 kit that appears to be older and is on Robot4Less for really cheap, but I have no earthly clue if that has the SFS.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How good are the Revoltech Patlabor figures? I'm thinking of getting one because they look so cool (plus I watched the first movie and it kicked rear end)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Honest Ray posted:

I have all of them except the Helldiver (if anyone has it I'd be interested) and the Aqua type Griffon. I'm rather fond of them. Make sure to get the movie versions though, way better than the original ones. The biggest issue is Alphonse and 02 are under the same Revoltech production number so make sure you know which one you're getting. I had to argue with people for sending me the wrong one because they had it misrepresented.
It should be the movie version from the listing on Amazon. Can't wait to get it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got the Revoltech Patlabor in today, and...it can't hold the revolvers or the shotgun. The hands for holding them seem to be sculpted wrong.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Honest Ray posted:

I had this problem too. Seeing as you're in a modelling thread, what you need to do is take your exacto knife and shave off some of the paint on the inside of the hand which will let the robot hold it.
I think I figured out an easier way. The thumb and forefinger were fused together with plastic, so I cut between them and now it holds the gun.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 6, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I may as well post it holding a gun.

Didn't notice it before but the shotgun has a working pump. Badass.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There are other shmup kits too, Atelier Sai did one of Vic Viper and there used to be an R-9 kit on HLJ or someplace else but it was a garage kit with no instructions and it probably required painting too.

I remember seeing tons of garage kits of the R-Type Final craft on one website and wishing those got made into actual kits. There was also a kit of the Silpheed ship and the Strega from Philosoma, both of which were also probably garage kits.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Looks like a Kagutsuchi model.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kotobukiya is doing a Gunhed kit and it looks loving amazing: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2012/11/17/feature-gunhed-model-kits-attack-kotobukiyas-akihabara-store

Pricetag is pretty steep though. Also, it doesn't talk and encourage you by mentioning baseball games. :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So, I got SRC Big Volfogg today and I can't figure out how to turn his legs. It doesn't seem like there are ball joints in them at all.

e: Okay, I kind of can move his legs but trying to make him cross his arms like on the box is hell. Still a great figure though.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 17, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just picked up a couple of balls.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've lanced myself once with a knife while building gunpla and it was due to making the awful mistake of not cutting away from myself. Never gonna make that mistake again.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Someone found out that Barnes & Noble is selling Gunpla:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So this happened to one of the joints when I was assembling the RG GP01:

It can still sort of work but that part near the foot will flop around. Not sure if I can glue it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Your only real choice is to weld that back on. Most parts order services will not allow you to order individual pieces from an RG's inner frame.
I don't have anything to weld it with and I've never done it before, so I'm probably hosed.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'll probably just assemble the rest of the GP01 with the inner frame of the leg exposed or something and call it battle damage. :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Frame Arms are cool as hell, what's a good one that's representative of them in general?
I keep thinking of the one with the giant goofy looking duckbill horn thing on the top.

I've decided that I'm just gonna assemble the rest of the GP01 and pretend it's damaged, or I'll just have the core fighter displayed with its landing gear down and the rest of the components placed like they're being repaired or something. If I want to have a gunpla with an inner frame I'll just get an MG instead, RG just seems too fiddly for me.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So hey, good news: That ankle joint breaking on RG GP01 wasn't a problem and I was able to put the rest of the leg panels on fine.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Has anyone gotten the Kotobukiya Knights of Sidonia kit? I saw there's a Riobot figure (2 in fact, one came out last year and another is coming this year) but it's way too expensive...thing is the kit requires glue and paint, the former of which I can do but the latter is a bit daunting although the mechs are mostly off-white.

Also I guess Riobot stuff sounds cool, they did Cyberbots figures too.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Alright, sounds good. I'll wait for the other version since I may have some more cash then.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By October you should have enough for a full Clasp Array :v:. I will admit I like the little detail that they actually included hands for that. I might actually pick up a Kotobukiya Tsugumori myself. I'm a sucker for Tsutomu Nihei's various manga series, and it's a neat robot.
Yeah, I like the clasp thing. I just hope it's still in stock when I have the cash, but with a second season coming I'd assume they'll have kit material for a little while.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently the Tsugumori pretty much needs a base and won't stand on its own so I'll have to get a base with it :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kotobukiya stand it needs is also really hard to find, unless Action Bases work too.

e: Looks like an Action Base works as well. Dunno why the hell it's so hard to find Koto's bases.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

TARDISman posted:

I think I read somewhere that the Action Base 1 works out pretty well with it.
Yeah, I read a review that said it in the comments (http://otakurevolution.com/content/kotobukiya-1100-knights-of-sidonia-ichinanashiki-morito-tsugumori-hakugetsu-kai-review). Decals are waterslides too but nothing I can't handle (gonna need mark setter though)

e: Dalong has pictures of it standing on its own two legs so I guess it is possible for it to be done.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 6, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Welp, sold on it now. They probably went "poo poo, this thing kind of needs the stand so maybe we should pack it with one"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

In non-kit news, there's gonna be Figmas of the Guardes from Knights of Sidonia (sans the Tsugumori though), so I guess I can hold off on that Kotobukiya kit now: http://www.plastikitty.com/home/summer-wonfest-2014-max-factorys-knights-of-sidonia-figures

(link may be slightly NSFW)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I came across a Xabungle toy at a con today and I'm not sure if this is a KO or something official:

It transforms, but it's missing the other interchangeable wheel part thing and one of the back wheels got broken off.

e: Someone informed me it's a bootleg of a Xabungle toy by Seven. http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/astroider

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

I finished the RG RX-78-2. I'm sticking to HGUC poo poo for a while. gently caress me.
This was me after the GP02. If I want an inner frame I'll go MG.

• Locked thread