Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh no. I am falling down the rabbit hole. I have purchased my first Gunpla.

HG 1/144 Gundam Mk-II (Build Fighters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

That's one of the worst HGBF kits you could have bought.

How come?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

When people ask about kits it would be terrible to withhold an opinion just because it's a negative one. Anyone asking should be on the fence, if you really want something then you should buy it regardless of what the thread says.

That being said, I feel bad for the guy because he didn't ask whether it was a good buy, he said "Hey guys I just bought this thing."

The better response would have been to say "that's awesome man, just so you know that kit is mostly a re-issue of an older model which can take a little more work than newer kits, so if you have questions starting out feel free to post em" or something like that, so he knows what's up without getting all :negative: about it.

Eh, I'm not really :negative: about it. Like Blackchamber said, it's hardly gonna be this massively detailed display piece. I just want some plastic mechas for my goonshelf.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

The correct way to look at it isn't "Build Mk II is one of the worst of the line." Instead, it's "You'll have your Build Mk II, but guess what!? The other models are going to be EVEN MORE AWESOME."

This is now how I'm totally gonna look at it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's 864 yen? That's under 8 bucks isn't it?

God I'm gonna buy too many of these. Gotta make my Mock Grimoire Tallgeese mix. The Sage Tallgeese.

I hear Grimoire and Mock together, and I assume you're building Vectorman

At 864 yen, I wanna buy like a dozen of them, and just build a small army of them.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 23, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I wanna start a small discussion. As a fairly new fan, I've taken a liking to the grunt suits. The general rank and file of MSes. The ones doomed to get punked out en masse.

So what are you folks' favourite grunt suit designs?

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 24, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And on the subject of grunt suits...my first build ever that certainly is not a grunt suit.

BFHG 1/144 Gundam Mk-II

Not panel-lined yet, and there's some fairly obvious seams (SHOULDER, ANKLE), but I'm really proud of it.

Except whoever decided the V-fin should actually be a sticker can rot.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 24, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Still seriously contemplating dropping the cash on half a dozen Mocks and building a tiny army of mediocrity.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pyronic posted:

I want to see people buying dozens of mocks and just making stupid clones of iconic kits but in mock form.

Like give one a zaku shoulder shield, the commander antenna and paint it Char red.

or give another the V-fin, trim, and fin funnels from a Nu Gundam.

This is no Zaku, boy. It's much worse.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 26, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Action shot of my second-ever gunpla: Gundam 00.

A god-drat joy to build and pose. The articulation is crazy, the legs and ankles especially.

So my plan of purchases from this point are Grimoire, Mock whenever I can get one, Union Flag, Masurao, Brave (Standard) then Jesta Cannon.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Ugh, those stickers. I would suggest that you invest in some sharpie markers for detail work so you don't have to use garbage v-fin/head jewel stickers.

I was going to be nice and limit my comments on the loving V-fin stickers to "Whoever thought they were a good idea should have their legs broke".

Good call on the sharpie idea though. I've still to pick up some panel lining markers too anyway, so seems a trip to the art supply store is on the cards.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Are there any major issues with the GNX or the Enact (specifically al-Saachez's but as far as I can see it's just a recolour)?

Because those are my next purchases (My Masurao arrives tomorrow :dance: Although I know I'll probably need to put it up on it's base because it has stability issues)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Well it didn't take very long.

All those poor Mocks :smith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the Mock is cheap enough, we should have a Mock Battle. Who can build the coolest Mock?

Didn't someone mention it was only 800 yen? That's only around $7.40 or £4.60.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm seriously considering Prime just for lightning-quick gunpla shipping.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Midjack posted:

The shipping delay is a natural brake on stockpiling, circumvent it with care.

You make a good point. If I can have gunpla on demand, my bank manager is going to visit my house with a bat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My action base arrived, so I can finally put the Mk2 in a bit more of a dynamic pose.

My (to this point, the Masurao is due to be delivered today) collection as it stands!

(Also, the seller of the action base put a handful of japanese hard candy in the bottom of the box. I fear I may be addicted.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

...I didn't even realize there were different scales for action bases.

Well, it works anyway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

This weekend's project has arrived.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

All I can say is thank gently caress the Masurao comes with it's own stand, because this thing will NEVER stand under it's own power.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The ball joints that holds the Masurao's legs on are an absolute pile of dicks. As soon as you touch the knees to pose them, pop, leg has fallen off again.

It seems my main preference for designs seems to be 00 UN forces. My next planned purchase is the GN-X.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

gn-x is great, its more like a standard UC gundam + it can light up

muike posted:

i think hijo dels lemonade is going to get the hg00 one, not the MG, which is what hojo lemonade should get, as i also want one.

Yeah, it was just the HG00 one I was planning on getting. I've only made 3 gunpla so far, I should probably stick with HG for now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

In that case, I might consider it. My main complaint about HG is that, since I enjoy the assembling part a lot, they're over too quick :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

muike posted:

Give it a shot then. Plus, the GN-X MG may be slightly easier to find right now, unless amazon has the HG

Amazon has both. The MG is £39, which isn't too bad for an MG it seems.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Just gonna warn you now: MG GN-X can't stand for poo poo, so get an action base.

Well, in a happy coincidence, like I posted a few pages back, I accidentally bought a 1/100 action base, not realizing bases came in different scales.

So I'm good on that front :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I might just get the 1/144. I've only got one shelf of room for gunpla, and all the rest are 1/144, so it'll fit in a bit better.

Or at least, if I do get a 1/100, I want it to be a big centerpiece model.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 1, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

People in the UK, where do you buy from?

Because I'm dying to get the HG Grimoire, but Amazon have it being unusually expensive, and none of the stores are offering decent shipping. It's all "Expected delivery: sometime between now and death of universe".

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 1, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

signalnoise posted:

That picture was given to you in confidence

We need to have a serious talk. We think you have a problem with plastic robots.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Pull the other one (The other one is your neglected dick)

Gunpla/Plamo Thread IV - High Grade Neglected Dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gunpla Thread Mk IV: A Kick in the RB-79 Balls.

• Locked thread