Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

^^^^^^
I'm an entry level schmo, so please do make a guide like that. I wanna avoid some of the pitfalls.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I know this is just a joke, but honestly in the new thread? Go hog wild, but we'll be making fun of you for it. Besides, unfortunately it looks like the parts and accessories from AGP are compatible with Robot Damashii. Bandai knows how to get that brand synergy going, that's for sure.

Well that's troubling. I've recently gotten into gunpla because of Build Fighters and aside from the strike full package, zaku amazing, beargguy, fenice with meteor hopper, and astray I've picked up already... I just today ordered the ms girl wing zero.

I didn't know there would be gunpla-shaming.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Midjack posted:

I ask because the Gundam Markers are kind of expensive and not that great in my experience.

Speaking of, I got some of those codes for the new year event/raffle and won a set of Gundam Markers:

They don't ship until March though.

Free is always nice.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

muike posted:

That's a really good score, dude

I picked the markers cause I'm new to gunpla and wanted to try em out, but I read somewhere later on that if you have a winning code your chances of getting the item of your choice is always 100%, there's no reduced chance for selecting a bigger/more expensive item. So if I had picked a perfect grade kit I'd of gotten it.

Also an updated picture of my stockpile:
Still have 3 more preorders I'm waiting for...

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 20, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Monaghan posted:

out of curiosity why'd you get two build strikes?

edit- unless you're gonna paint, you also don't have to pick up any putty.
Originally I was going to just shelf one and build the other, but now I want to build both and just give them different boosters from the show. One of my preorders is for the 1/100 build strike and the Star Build so I guess it's my favorite thus far?

The Master Gundam will be my first build though because while I wanted the horse to go with my Astray, I don't care if the guy himself gets messed up. So I'm probably going to subject each limb to a different technique and see how things look.

And when I bought that MS Girl I was under the impression it was a kit not just a pvc figurine. Kinda disappointed.

I bought the putty because it was on some list of recommended items to have. There's a couple of other things I'm waiting on before I start building, like plastic cement. And going off the new guide posted earlier future...

TARDISman posted:

You bastard, why aren't they in numerical order from top to bottom...

Stacked in the order of purchase, sorry. Although the space ship isn't mine its my brother's.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

SpikeMcclane posted:

It's been out for about a week or so, I think. I have one on my desk now.

Who did you order yours from? Gundam Guy still has it as a preorder (I preordered). If somebody else is faster I'm interested.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I bought some top coats to try out locally, but I wanted to try Mr Color flat spray. I went online and most places were out of stock except robots4less so I gave them a try.

My order was over week ago, and I live about 500 miles from them so I knew shipping shouldn't take that long. I emailed them and got no reply. Yesterday I called them and they told me their website crashed and when they got it back up the store put everything as 'in stock'. Rather than taking it down again to fix that or disabling the shopping cart until they inventoried they decided to just keep accepting orders and payment and if they had it they shipped it.
If you were like me and ordered something that was really out of stock, instead of informing you they couldn't fulfill the order they elected to just say nothing and hope you didn't notice until they did get stock. In my case the kid on the phone said it'd be two weeks... maybe (remember I'd already waited over a week before calling). There's the chance it won't be in that shipment.

So yeah, R4L not recommended. I ended up just ordering it from Hobbywave.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Build Fighters is a terrible show for a recovering gunpla addict.
There goes all my disposable income.

Its rough on guys getting started in the hobby too. I'll see a mobile suit and think 'yeah thats cool' then they'll feature it in an episode and its like HOLY poo poo THAT THING IS BADASS i.e. all the suits ending in 'amazing'.

Poor little Suzie working at the club, I'm sorry I can't help you get through dental school this month either.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TARDISman posted:

Has anyone ever had troubles cancelling orders from Robot4Less before?

I went straight to a paypal dispute with them. I don't know where I read it (another site likely) but they are a real poo poo-show operation. I think I started checking around because I had an issue with them and I didn't know if it was just me or not.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

R4L's name is a giant lie anyways so I'm honestly not sure why anybody buys from them. The best explanation somebody could give me was that they were better for single purchases compared to Hobbywave, but now that Amazon has really kicked it into high gear there's not much point to dealing with them directly.

Model Grade is way better anyways. :colbert: i am a shameless shill

EDIT: You know I said that offhand because my club is partnered with them, but holy poo poo they really are. Compare the MG 00S/G on Model Grade and R4L. There's an almost $20 difference. :psyduck:

I also like Model Grade.... ALOT. They were at SacAnime and while other booths were gouging they weren't. I'm thinking of moving to Sacramento and when/if I do I'm going to take advantage of their free local deliveries.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I'm guessing this will go down as well as their "action-figure-model-kit" push did back in the early 2000's.

In the meantime I can get a couple Spru-Batmans. I'll be keeping an eye out for these.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

I just got an airbrush, a dust mask and I made a simple spray booth out of cardboard for using acrylics but it doesn't have any venting like a proper booth.

I'm moving into an apartment that has no patio or anything and I was thinking of getting one or making one.

Can anyone explain to me though why there is a filter on this thing, much less an odor eliminating one? It isn't filtering the air of dust or particulate before it gets to my model, its drawing air/paint vapors/etc from behind it before blowing it out the window... at which point I don't care how dusty or smelly it is.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

I don't know about odor eliminating but it stops the fans getting gunked up with paint.

Oh true I hadn't thought of that. And yeah amazon sells all variety of them, fiberglass, non fiberglass, different shapes (diamond), and odor eliminating.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So is there a good kit to practice painting with? Also should I stick with gundam markers or try to learn real painting skills?

I did the same thing, I bought a kit to experiment on... the master gundam with the drat horse because I wanted that drat horse... and I broke the drat thing. Meanwhile the gundam is Frankenstein, I tried different gluing techniques on all the limbs and so on. Only thing I haven't done is tried to top coat it to see how those different techniques look 'completed'. Oh minus the stickers. Stickers look ugly so in the future I will be painting when possible.

That drat horse. Im going to get it again sometime and be much more careful.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oh and mail day. These things are really starting to pile up. I swear I'm trying to work on them, I've just been busy!

Star Build, MG Build Strike, Kampfer, and Powergate booster... get!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My issue is sort of conditioned from my belief in scarcity of things I like over time = increased time searching and over all cost.

Admittedly I did cherry pick a bit (passing on the X-maoh for sure) Im snapping these guys up so they dont cost me an arm and a leg down the road.

My real debate now is if I should snag the clear build strike or wait. If I'm not mistaken one will be part of a bluray set and some were available at a recent event in Hong Kong so they should filter into the resale market.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Big ups to whoever suggested running a marker over those filed-down flash marks. I was able to go to Michael's and get a generic brand paint-pen of almost exactly the shade of the Gouf's lighter blue, and just a dab of it does wonders to blend the flash marks in.

I've read that tip before and additionally that if you use a flat top coat it will conceal it. I haven't seen anyone um... 'non-pro' do it so if this is the route you go down will you share pics? I just wanted to see what an average joe like myself would get without knowing a ton about paint and all tips and tricks.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Leper Colon V posted:

I love everything about that... except the feet.

I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of the Micheal Bay transformers. Clomp clomp clomp.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Really wish they'd do the Abigorbine, but who am I kidding, that will never happen.

I wish too. Want that split beetle horn head....

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apparently there's an announced HGBF kit(Fenice Renescita) coming in June. There's no possible idea as to what it could possibly be (Fenice Renescita). Guess will just have to wait and see what this mystery kit is (Fenice Renescita).

If thats true I'm sold x2.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Bandai needs to work on its english. A while ago I posted that I won a bunch of Gundam Markers in a promotion and they sent me an email saying they would send them to me March 15th. Well damned if they didn't really mean to say it would ARRIVE on the 15th. My mail goes to my parents house (parents-mailboxes-etc!) and I didn't visit til the weekend.

Anyways this is it, made of white and fuchsia (i guess) plexiglass:

Anyone have an idea what I could use this for once I take the markers out? The plexi parts that hold the markers is pretty solidly connected in.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Midjack posted:

Cigar box.

Serious answer, flip it on ebay to a collector. You might be able to cut the Vist logo and surrounding armor-over-psycoframe part out and do some kind of base or display with it, too.

I like the stand idea, actually. I'm not into flipping stuff cause I'd feel like some sort of scalper.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with just keeping it? Looks like a pretty nice way to store your markers.

It seems a little like a waste to just use it for markers sitting in a drawer. I thought maybe someone would see it and immediately know of a better use.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

slightpirate posted:

If you're going to just toss it / part with it on ebay, might I ask what it would take to get you to box it up nicely and ship it to me?

Sorry, I mentioned earlier I'm not really looking to flip it, just find a way to get more/better use from it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That June-release HGBF kit's been revealed and it's surprisingly not the Fenice Renescita. It's Ramba Ral's Gouf R35 :dukedog:.

I saw the announcement and I was wary of the date. I'm pretty into it, tearing it up as it did in the last GBF episode.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah I'm worried it's an April Fools joke too. It would make sense, since the June kit was announced after the Rinascita was revealed, and it's just a modified Gouf, but I don't see any source at all.

Well the other thing too is... why would you announce a kit that looks good and even a newbie to gunpla/gundam like me would want then go 'haha we made you think we wanted your money. We dont.' As a joke? But im not an expert on Japanese humor so I dunno.

Edit: I just want to pose it on a tall display base shooting its weird handlooking guns under the shields like it did in the show.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 1, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wouldn't digital camo on a mobile suit be worse? The different shapes and colors are supposed to break up and hide natural lines and so forth. But in the scale of the mobile suit shown wouldn't some of those colored blocks be pretty huge as to then become easily noticeable?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Everyone's hyped for all these crazy designs and here I am just excited for the Gouf R35 so I can pose it with an HG Master Gundam. Finally going to cave on the Miss Sazabi too then probably.

You aint the only one brother. Ever since I saw them together on BF tearing it up I've been daydreaming about them side by side on a shelf. So awesome.

I bought the Master Gundam earlier to practice on when i first approached this hobby but now I need another that I can do properly.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have a question about adding LED lights to gunpla, specifically are these mostly hack jobs with parts from the local radio shack or are there actual dedicated kits being sold, and if so where?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

AFK Werewolf posted:

Search for bandai hobby LEDs on whatever site you purchase gunpla from, you get two per kit and they're good enough, there's a video of a guy on youtube making his own for a couple of bucks with stuff from radioshack. I have two green LEDs and while I do like the effect, I wish there were more color options, so I'll probably end up making my own in the near future. Red and Green LEDs are the easiest to get, The Rx-78 3.0 expansion comes with a single yellow LED and there was a bandai online exclusive pink one, but most place are selling the LED units for like 15+ bucks a set, which is kinda pricey for what they are.

Ok thanks. I think I'll try some professional kits first before trying my own.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

Well, hey, guess what I found out? Alcohol works really well. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they're from the same company that makes the Gundam Markers, and the solvent/eraser pen for those is literally just alcohol. It has the added bonus of not being super toxic, too, which is kinda nice.

So what are we talkin here? I just need to make a margarita and dunk it or...

Seriously though I can use cheap vodka or something?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 17, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

Sure, so long as you start with >90% isopropyl alcohol. And leave out the salts. Or the flavorings. Or anything but the alcohol and the paint.

It works really well, though! I painted all of the torso armor, and three quarters of the skirt. I also primed the shield, but I haven't painted it yet. I didn't want to tackle the pipes just yet, but I'll probably do that next time.

I seriously thought you were talking about the kind you drink. Guess I'm thinking too much about the weekend being here.

Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend though, cause using regular thinner is more expensive.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

It's literally an alien design, so you probably shouldn't.

poo poo's cool, and much like the Turn A very different from the standard cookie cutter Gundam.

I was going to say that it looks like an alien's gundam, but not being a gundam buff I didn't want to sound like a goofy-rear end. I really like the design.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

This hobby is the worst. I have a big backlog and I sort of have a plan on which I'll be doing in what order... seeing those Gouf R35 pics makes me want to bump the Master up to the top to be ready.

3rd time I've gotten the Master at this point.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

everythingWasBees posted:

In a year or so, yeah, when I'm in a better living situation.

Its true what they say: "When there's trouble at home it's always the gunpla/plamo that suffer."

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Chewbacca posted:

I "ordered" a pair from HLJ so maybe someday they'll be back in stock and I'll get them. I can live with 30 bucks plus SAL shipping.

I also decided to put myself on the waiting list, my interest has been peaked.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

I usually just assume maximum idiocy from a manufacturer, and then am pleasantly surprised when things aren't poo poo.

Im surprised that the instructions to build the kit don't show that the leds can be dropped in and taken out.

I don't even have that kit but bought some of the leds made for it on a whim and the instructions (printed on the inside of the box) did.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

You'll be more surprised to learn then that the instructions DO show that the LEDs can be dropped in and taken out.

Well there you go 404! No need to assume manufacturer stupidity.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't see the point of it.

I can see how it would be handy if you are like me and don't have a big work area that you can lay all your trees out on while you work, and when you aren't working and can't just leave them on your desk it makes the overall footprint much smaller.

The labeling is flawed but the idea is nice, I sometimes wish I could tell at a glance which was which, since the label is the same color as the rest of the tree and not in a uniform place all the time.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 20, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

How small of an area are you working with because I do all my modeling on a card table and I've never had space issues.

I have two desks pushed together actually, but I have my airbrush booth, a shelf for my paints, and two computer monitors on it.

I usually end up laying one or two trees on my keyboard, one propped up in the box they came in, and then working in the space between my booth and the computer stuff.

I could disassemble my booth when I'm not painting but I prefer to leave it out so I can paint pieces as I finish them rather than painting it all at the end.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

Ugh, Jesus Christ, GG Infinite has the absolute worst markup I've ever seen on Japanese import plastic. I decided to take the plunge on the web exclusive MG Hi-Nu HWS parts, and they have about a 65% markup on it before shipping. That's some scummy poo poo right there.

To be fair its not a universal markup on all their 'Japanese import plastic', usually I see their prices at about the same as most other online retailers. That said I rarely buy from them anymore just because their stocking and shipping are behind the curve.

I bought the Build Fighters R35 Gouf on Amazon and it arrived from Japan during the great forums outtage of o'14. GG just got it this week I think and are 'now shipping'. Same price, but I got it faster and with free shipping. I've had similar experiences using eBay with free shipping from Japan.

Maybe I'm just impatient but when a kit comes out and there's a ton of reviews and custom builds already on there it makes me want it in my hot little hands that much sooner.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have the plavsky clear Build Strike and I really like how it looks lit up by LEDs or my display cabinet lights. It's nice having something that stands out even more once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Zwingley posted:

SD Gundam Deathscythe

I wasn't happy with how the topcoat wound up on the scythe; it scratched some when I was sliding it back into the hand. In the future I suppose I'll have simple or SD kits like this hold their weapon while I'm painting them, unless anyone has a better idea. Otherwise, it wound up great.

How long did you let the top coat cure before you slid it in? Do you think you might of layed the topcoat on too thick?

• Locked thread