Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

blastron posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish source of flexible hose of varying diameters? I need three or four different diameters, one of them ribbed:

All the sources I'm finding at hardware stores are like $50 for 25-foot rolls, which is rather expensive and also way more than I actually need.

Aquarium tubing, maybe? It would probably be about the right size for the smaller tubes and it's generally rather cheap. Not sure about the other sizes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

blastron posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish source of flexible hose of varying diameters? I need three or four different diameters, one of them ribbed:

All the sources I'm finding at hardware stores are like $50 for 25-foot rolls, which is rather expensive and also way more than I actually need.

Have you tried looking in a hardware store or just online? Some of them sell tubing by the foot, might have corrugated tubing there as well. Most of the time they're fine selling a small piece of stuff.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

jmistajay posted:

Some kind of faux leather, either vinyl or pleather. Any fabric store will have a section for weirdo textiles where you can find stuff that looks like leather but isn't, if you want more of it.

Thanks for the info. Would Jo-Ann's, Michael's or Hobby Lobby have a selection?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rythe posted:

Probably not. Go with Lowes or Home Depot for the tubing, they sell by the foot in their plumbing section. For the big corrugated looking tube coming out of the respirator, Harbor Freight, or most any other electronic parts store, in their electrical section. Lowes and Home Depot might even carry it. Sockser posted an Amazon link to the stuff. What I'd do there, is buy a section of tube that's the right diameter, then fit that wire wrap over it. If it's not the right diameter, buy two lengths and glue them together on one edge to effectively make it a larger diameter.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rythe posted:

Joann and Hobby Lobby should have you covered (go to the former if possible)
Michaels, afaik, never carry fabric
And it’s unlikely a Walmart fabric section would have the stuff you’re looking for

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sockser posted:

Joann and Hobby Lobby should have you covered (go to the former if possible)
Michaels, afaik, never carry fabric
And it’s unlikely a Walmart fabric section would have the stuff you’re looking for

Thanks for the info, I'll check those places out tomorrow.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

:doh: wow, I totally thought you were blastron for some reason. I gotta stop browsing the forums while waiting for sleep aides to kick in.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Just found out that Jo Ann's is allowed to give out sample pieces of fabric, typically a 2 inch strip by the length of the bolt. A super wonderful lady hooked me up with a 4 x 54 inch strip of marine grade pleather for my costume for free, this might be a easy way to obtain small pieces of fabric for repairs and touch ups if needed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mixed tubing: automotive vacuum hose.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Qifrey's done! Entering him with my friend as his pupil Coco in the Otakon Hall Costume Contest so wish us luck!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ashcans posted:

I hand-made a pair of shoes for the SCA just once, and after I was done I swore I would pay anyone any amount of money to never do it again. So you have my admiration on undertaking that, they came out really well!

I helped do this once, and that was my takeaway, too. Turnshoes are a fuckload of work.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Awesome costume, you look really great!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I've never cosplayed before! And I'm thinking of going to PAX South as Kasual Smoke:

I really only have two major obstacles:
1. Finding a not-incredibly-expensive monochrome jacket or robe with a quilted collar
and
2. Reliably attaching straps to an Etsy mask.

I've got my girlfriend helping me hunt down a good jacket/robe and there's several guides for attaching straps online (looks like I'm using Spirit Glue) but I thought I'd get the thread's input on this as well!

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Doc Walrus posted:

I've never cosplayed before! And I'm thinking of going to PAX South as Kasual Smoke:

I really only have two major obstacles:
1. Finding a not-incredibly-expensive monochrome jacket or robe with a quilted collar
and
2. Reliably attaching straps to an Etsy mask.

I've got my girlfriend helping me hunt down a good jacket/robe and there's several guides for attaching straps online (looks like I'm using Spirit Glue) but I thought I'd get the thread's input on this as well!

Like, spirit gum? I'm not sure I know what you mean, could you link one of your guides?

I don't know precisely what your mask is made out of, but whenever I'm putting straps on stuff this is the method I go for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qxMULsR1c

It produces something basically invincible no matter how much I jerk it around and gently caress with it.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Anyone have any hot tips about how to darken this material?

(It's 60% PVC, 30% Polyester, 10% PU)

I'm thinking most paints would just chip off... So maybe staining it with.... something?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Rit DyeMore is a line of dyes made for dyeing synthetic fibers, and a cursory search turns up people using it for dying plastics. I don’t know for sure if it’ll work on your material, but it might be worth a shot. (Make sure you test on a swatch first!)

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I've tried the polyester Rit stuff, but I've had better luck using iDyePoly powder packets. iDyePoly comes with the color enhancer liquid so you don't need to add salt or vinegar or anything, just follow the directions on the packet in an aluminum baking tray or pot you never plan on cooking food in again.

Word of caution: dye droplets can hitchhike on water vapor to cling to whatever cabinets are above your stove. Mr. Clean magic erasers do a pretty good job of removing it from laminate cabinets. Red dye is the spawn of Satan and will turn your kitchen slightly pink for a long time until you clean every crevice you didn't know you had.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I did try Rit Dyemore on a polyester dress a couple days ago and the results were.... less than optimal. Kind of as expected, but still a bit disappointing.

Wish I would've tried iDyePoly. But either way, stirring a hot pot of dye for 30 minutes is always going to be a miserable experience :smith:

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I found something that worked pretty well, in case anyone was curious. Surprisingly, puffy paint applied with a damp sponge. :shrug:

I guess because it's a fabric paint it bends and doesn't crack.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Working on Halloween costumes for the family and we are going as Mario Kart characters. What would be the best way to attach/stick a felt mustache to an adult?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spirit gum is a pretty standard bet

When I dressed as waluigi I managed to bend a wide coat hanger to perfectly hang off my septum and I could never reproduce that bend again, but it was a pretty rad setup

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Sockser posted:

Spirit gum is a pretty standard bet

When I dressed as waluigi I managed to bend a wide coat hanger to perfectly hang off my septum and I could never reproduce that bend again, but it was a pretty rad setup

When I do Waluigi I've had success achieving the mustache with makeup, just to avoid having a thing on my face that might flop around or fall off. Don't discount that route either.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just grow the mustache, cowards. You have three months!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Just grow the mustache, cowards. You have three months!

Don't think my wife would look that good with a mustache. I'll check out the spirit gum stuff as that seems easy enough to come by.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Did a first test fit for my Hellboy cosplay and I think it turned out really well! Still have to do some finishing touches on a bit of the hand and attach some more trinkets to hang from the belt and maybe vest.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Looks good. I might age the vest and jacket just a little, but otherwise it looks really good.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

CzarChasm posted:

Looks good. I might age the vest and jacket just a little, but otherwise it looks really good.

All this.

It looks amazing just the gear (vest, jacket, leather pouch) looks brand new. Really nice work there though!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, i'm gonna echo everyone else and say that it needs weathering. Use a spray bottle with some watered down dark brown Rit dye to dirty up the jacket, and get some fuller's earth or light brown/tan dry pigment and rub that poo poo all over everything, then shake off the excess.

edit: do a paint wipe on the leather parts with dark red-brown and black acrylic craft paint, too

edit 2: I forgot to mention that the prosthetics, right hand of doom and pistol look great, and you should totally take some photos in really harsh, directed light so that you can get that proper Mike Mignola pitch-black shadowed artwork look :)

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 20, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It looks super good, and if you want to weather it the absolutely best way would be to just wear it all the time, especially to punch weird eldritch monster stuff in the kisser.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wear that gear to a GWAR show.

That'll get the monster-goop weathering done in the most realistic manner.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
First fitting of John Goblikon, very very dirty mirror and no facepaint.
Still waiting for my plastimake to arrive so i can start working on the teeth

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks for the feedback, goons! I dragged the vest, coat and pants across a gravel road a few days before the con and it looks way better

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gorgeous work.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Much better, looks great

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Anybody know what this type of knob is called? Searching for "teardrop" isn't working...

Edit: The one on the face with the red tubes, if that wasn't clear.

Edit 2: Found it after more googling. The term is "pointer knob."

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 18, 2019

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Working on building your own trap?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Kinda, I've been retooling one from Spirit Halloween.
Repainting, improving greeblies, hiding seems, adding real screws, etc.
I watched a video from Punished Props and I thought I'd take a crack myself.

Here's where I am so far...

I hope to add smoke and rewire the lighting if I can teach myself how. My goal is to be able to rush through a crowd with a smoking trap yelling ecto-babble like in the montage scenes.

I still can't find the right knob though.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I used this style knock and painted on a silver indicator when I was building a basic trap prop for a costume last year. Definitely wasn't the original design but I had this just laying around and it looked pretty neat.

I forgot why I didn't paint those long tubes red like they should have been....

Rythe fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 21, 2019

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That looks good. I'm not so fanatical that it needs to be perfect. I found the right knob for the other side but since it's machined aluminum it's 15 bucks. I'm okay with something close for that price.

I've looked at a lot of screenshots lately, those tubes were silver in Ghostbusters 2, so if you don't have red paint laying around that'd work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

You can probably make that shape nob for next to nothing if you have a chunk of wood laying around. That wouldn't take any time to cut and sand that shape, even a rough shape.

I thankful wasn't100% worried about screen accuracy as this was intended as a non functional prop and was one of my first attempts at prop building. I built a leg harness for it to mount to and had a blast making it, came out to a grand total of $12 to build it to. Gave me a great excuse to use my original Ghostbusters toy goggles and a later model proton pack too. Super cheap costume to build and had a lot of fun doing it.

This is the final costume.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 22, 2019